Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8720996 times)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/16
« Reply #3875 on: September 19, 2016, 04:57:46 PM »
Here's something to consider.  Had Wojo signed either Kostas or one of the Juco candidates,  we'd be done now.  Wonder what folks would think with the prospects still being recruited this year?

To correct an error, I meant to say transfer candidates,  not Juco.

If Ike ends up redshirting, which I wouldn't be opposed to if we get Tillman, you would have basically gotten nothing for 2 years of scholarships.

It really depends how players develop. On one hand, you have Kostas wasting 2 years of scholarships on the bench followed by his Junior/Senior year where I would hope he would be a starting caliber player based on his defensive potential alone. Or you waste the next 2 years and  hope the 257-ranked (247 Composite) player in his class have 4 solid years of eligibility. I think it's more likely than not both players are busts but I would rather have had Kostas signed and try to get a diamond in the rough over Ike.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3876 on: September 19, 2016, 05:39:36 PM »
I think we've heard enough about Kostas.  How might Young have stacked up relative to the remaining target list?

Well if you listen to Providence fans, they think he is going to play major minutes this season and possibly even start. They also think that they WON'T take a step back this year even though they lost two NBA caliber players, their starting SG, a bench player and all they replace them with is freshmen outside the top 100 and a transfer from George Mason who averaged 8.7 ppg while shooting 34% from the field.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #3877 on: September 19, 2016, 05:40:35 PM »
If Ike ends up redshirting, which I wouldn't be opposed to if we get Tillman, you would have basically gotten nothing for 2 years of scholarships.

It really depends how players develop. On one hand, you have Kostas wasting 2 years of scholarships on the bench followed by his Junior/Senior year where I would hope he would be a starting caliber player based on his defensive potential alone. Or you waste the next 2 years and  hope the 257-ranked (247 Composite) player in his class have 4 solid years of eligibility. I think it's more likely than not both players are busts but I would rather have had Kostas signed and try to get a diamond in the rough over Ike.

Mark Miller tweets

Kostas Antetokounmpo likely to sit out 2016-17 season at Dayton per NCAA ruling.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #3878 on: September 19, 2016, 06:00:38 PM »
Mark Miller tweets

Kostas Antetokounmpo likely to sit out 2016-17 season at Dayton per NCAA ruling.

And for all the people who thought Wojo was making a mistake......
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #3879 on: September 19, 2016, 06:16:13 PM »
Mark Miller tweets

Thanks. I missed that. Does he still have four years after this or does he lose a year.

I still think its a crap shoot on whether we would have been better with or without him. Signing him wouldn't have cost us Tillman, it would've cost us Ike. Both guys are nothing special and I would've taken a chance on the athletic hometown kid. I understand why others wouldn't based on what he has shown so far. I just find Kostas really intriguing.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3880 on: September 19, 2016, 06:33:32 PM »
Marty

I am with you. Would have rolled the dice on him in a heartbeat.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #3881 on: September 19, 2016, 06:56:14 PM »
Marty

Maybe you guys think he is his brother, not even close.  He might not even see the floor at Dayton for 4 years, Wojo could not take the risk.  Needs to win before that,
he barely scored at Dominican, right now he is physically way behind.  Seeing Ike's video as a junior, he is light years ahead of Kostas, and if they get Tillman, who
is physically ready right now, IKe need 20-25 lbs, could use a red-shirt year.  I do not see him getting much playing time right now, but he still has a two years so you
never know how he will mature.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3882 on: September 19, 2016, 07:00:41 PM »
Interesting.  I, too, was a Kostas 'fan'. But the guys on this site who are 'in the know' were emphatic NOs.  So I accepted that determination.  On the flip side, Jay Bee tells us to be really excited about Theo John.  I'm counting on smaller version of Daniel Ochefu based on his assessment!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3883 on: September 19, 2016, 07:28:53 PM »
We may still get Kostas afterall. Giannis is likely to adopt him and pay his way at MU, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #3884 on: September 19, 2016, 07:41:04 PM »
Wojo and I assume Nelson watching French again today

Marquette HC and AC both in #413 at #CA open gym today. Quinnipiac AC in the gym as well. Looks to be a heavily attended open gym week!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3885 on: September 19, 2016, 07:44:35 PM »
Marty

Really?  It seems to me that Eke has the larger upside.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3886 on: September 19, 2016, 07:47:30 PM »
Well if you listen to Providence fans, they think he is going to play major minutes this season and possibly even start. They also think that they WON'T take a step back this year even though they lost two NBA caliber players, their starting SG, a bench player and all they replace them with is freshmen outside the top 100 and a transfer from George Mason who averaged 8.7 ppg while shooting 34% from the field.

And here I thought I was a cockeyed optimist  :o
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3887 on: September 19, 2016, 08:01:31 PM »

Marquette HC and AC both in #413 at #CA open gym today. Quinnipiac AC in the gym as well. Looks to be a heavily attended open gym week!
Thanks for posting this. Delighted we are at the open gym this week at Commonwealth Academy. Shows that we are trying hard to close the deal with Mr. French.

https://twitter.com/CATornados/status/778021994487017472
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #3888 on: September 19, 2016, 08:19:33 PM »
Thanks for posting this. Delighted we are at the open gym this week at Commonwealth Academy. Shows that we are trying hard to close the deal with Mr. French.

https://twitter.com/CATornados/status/778021994487017472

Or it means that the staff knows they want Tillman or French and will recruit both hard until they get one or lose both.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3889 on: September 19, 2016, 08:30:01 PM »
Or it means that the staff knows they want Tillman or French and will recruit both hard until they get one or lose both.

Exactly.  Wojo knows how to full court press these guys.  Frankly, I believe his 'tell it like it is' approach has accrued to MU's benefit.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3890 on: September 19, 2016, 08:32:48 PM »
Hope the cat sees da merit in attendin' MU vs Quinnipiac, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3891 on: September 19, 2016, 08:37:50 PM »
Hope the cat sees da merit in attendin' MU vs Quinnipiac, ai na?
The tweet was from the schools website about their own open gym. I am sure Quinnipiac was looking at another kid at the school since Mr. French already posted his final six.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3892 on: September 19, 2016, 10:14:41 PM »
UW freaking M didn't even come close to considering Kostas Antetokounmpo yet we, Marquette University, are making a mistake by signing a 6'10" kid who actually plays like a 6'10" kid? Yeesh.

One kid marginally contributed to a D4 WIAA team as a senior. Another kid was the 2nd best player on the best team in Michigan as a junior.

I'll tell you what. Marquette High has a couple 6'7" plus guys on their team this year. They'll be significantly better basketball players as juniors at a higher competition level than Kostas ever was. Please come back and obsess over what we're missing out on here.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3893 on: September 19, 2016, 10:22:28 PM »
Interesting.  I, too, was a Kostas 'fan'. But the guys on this site who are 'in the know' were emphatic NOs.  So I accepted that determination.  On the flip side, Jay Bee tells us to be really excited about Theo John.  I'm counting on smaller version of Daniel Ochefu based on his assessment!

I don't think I ever said that... (well, about Markus I certainly have!!!!!!!!!!!)

...but with Theo, we know where he has strengths and where he can help... and he gives us some things we historically have lacked.

With Kostas.. it's been more of a "well, in several years there are a multitude of possibilities.. but it's gonna be rough getting to that point, whatever the end point is..."
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3894 on: September 19, 2016, 11:02:34 PM »
I say Ike was a better "get" than Kostas because Wojo, Stan and the rest of the staff say so.

I'm assuming they know more about these players than I do. I know that's not the kind of assumptions that some others here like to make, though.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3895 on: September 19, 2016, 11:33:09 PM »
I say Ike was a better "get" than Kostas because Wojo, Stan and the rest of the staff say so.

I'm assuming they know more about these players than I do. I know that's not the kind of assumptions that some others here like to make, though.

I don't even need to know what our coaching staff thinks to know that Kostas isn't a D1 player.  He's hardly a D4 WIAA player.

I've seen Ike play only on highlight videos and he's without a doubt better than Kostas.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #3896 on: September 20, 2016, 12:04:48 AM »

I was too, Glow.

Then i watched him play a couple times. Looks just like a 'baller running up and down the court.

But that was about the only times he did. He just didn't do anything on the floor vs. what you would expect from someone with his athletic ability.

Glad he is happy at Dayton - as I am happy with the guys we got.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3897 on: September 20, 2016, 06:45:07 AM »
I don't think I ever said that... (well, about Markus I certainly have!!!!!!!!!!!)

...but with Theo, we know where he has strengths and where he can help... and he gives us some things we historically have lacked.

With Kostas.. it's been more of a "well, in several years there are a multitude of possibilities.. but it's gonna be rough getting to that point, whatever the end point is..."

Fair enough.  Sure will be nice to have some BEast muscle going forward.

When you think of it, wow was our talent depleted.  And you know what?  Wojo never blamed the guys or anything like that.  He never criticized Derrick or Juan.  Said they were wonderful ambassadors for the program.  Wasn't their fault they weren't high D-1 players.   So he just went to work.  Hope we see some results this year because it has been a long time in the desert.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3898 on: September 20, 2016, 07:08:20 AM »

QU, one of my local universities?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #3899 on: September 20, 2016, 09:16:48 AM »

exactly.  i understand that doesn't make message board's fun, but the most knowledgeable people on this board regarding recruiting don't spend the time with the kid or the MU program to know what's best. as a coach, it has to be ridiculously difficult to determine who to spend time on recruiting.  it seems fun for some to slobber over every player imaginable, and then when one of them does well outside of MU, take credit for being right.