[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8462905 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Recruiting as of 7/1/16
« Reply #2475 on: July 20, 2016, 01:55:34 PM »
Don't hurt me JayBee, but Miller predicted Terrence Lewis to MU.
Only say it cause it seems like he was waiting on a Marquette offer and now he's got it.
Could we get a commitment in the next couple weeks?  What do you guys/Chick think of Lewis here?

And an hour and a half later Jerry Meyer joined him.  I wonder if that's how Meyer does all of his picks - piggybacking off others he trusts, he's done it a lot with Miller.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2476 on: July 20, 2016, 01:58:13 PM »
And an hour and a half later Jerry Meyer joined him.  I wonder if that's how Meyer does all of his picks - piggybacking off others he trusts, he's done it a lot with Miller.

Not all of them, but quite a few. When it comes to Wisconsin guys, Jerry Meyer usually follows Mark's picks pretty quickly. Guessing he has other guys in different regions that he follows just as religiously.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2477 on: July 20, 2016, 02:30:37 PM »
Considering Mark had an in depth interview with Lewis' father and coach last night, I think he may know something on this one.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #2478 on: July 20, 2016, 02:42:31 PM »
I remember his dad at least from nearly every home game this season. Think it's more than just another offer for them or a kid trying to leverage his status to get tickets.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2479 on: July 20, 2016, 03:33:25 PM »
Can anyone offer a high-level summary on Lewis for those of us not familiar? 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2480 on: July 20, 2016, 03:40:03 PM »
Can anyone offer a high-level summary on Lewis for those of us not familiar?

Freeport or Jay Bee might be able to address this better, but here's what I've heard of late regarding his game.

Lewis projects as a wing, but has a nose for the ball and attacks the glass. Good rebounder. Was initially just a scorer, and playing for his dad he got plenty of chances, but has extended his range to the arc. Has become one of those "do a bit of everything" type players. Active all over the court. Smart kid on the court, hard worker, gym rat. Solid academically, 3.1 GPA.

I get the sense that last year many felt he might just be the beneficiary of being the focal point of a team his dad coached. This year, he's worked really hard on the aspects of his game that weren't as big of positives and has shown the effort and desire to improve. Has consistently climbed the rankings as his game has grown. He definitely earned this offer. MU has been there since the start, but made him earn the offer and he lived up to it on his end.

From what I've heard, he's a great fit for that wing player in this class. Big enough to play some 4 at the college level (remember Lazar and Jae played it at a shorter height) and will scrap his way to find PT. Still more of a wing, and at times could probably play 2-4.

Of course, I'm sure others have better assessments than I do.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2481 on: July 20, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2482 on: July 20, 2016, 03:58:47 PM »
Freeport or Jay Bee might be able to address this better, but here's what I've heard of late regarding his game.

Lewis projects as a wing, but has a nose for the ball and attacks the glass. Good rebounder. Was initially just a scorer, and playing for his dad he got plenty of chances, but has extended his range to the arc. Has become one of those "do a bit of everything" type players. Active all over the court. Smart kid on the court, hard worker, gym rat. Solid academically, 3.1 GPA.

I get the sense that last year many felt he might just be the beneficiary of being the focal point of a team his dad coached. This year, he's worked really hard on the aspects of his game that weren't as big of positives and has shown the effort and desire to improve. Has consistently climbed the rankings as his game has grown. He definitely earned this offer. MU has been there since the start, but made him earn the offer and he lived up to it on his end.

From what I've heard, he's a great fit for that wing player in this class. Big enough to play some 4 at the college level (remember Lazar and Jae played it at a shorter height) and will scrap his way to find PT. Still more of a wing, and at times could probably play 2-4.

This seems like a more low-level summary on Lewis to me.  ;)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2483 on: July 20, 2016, 04:14:20 PM »
This seems like a more low-level summary on Lewis to me.  ;)

Perfectly fair, not my specialty  :D

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2484 on: July 20, 2016, 04:54:12 PM »

Thanks!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2485 on: July 20, 2016, 05:25:02 PM »

I am very  bullish on young Mr. Lewis , he definitely reminds me of the kind of players that have done well for us in the Crean /Buzz era . Would be great to get another quality local kid.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #2486 on: July 20, 2016, 05:40:03 PM »
Looks to me like a typical 3 that needs to put on some weight in the weight room, would be a perfect candidate for Todd Smith to take him under his wing.  Being from
Milwaukee and not far from the campus, he can start a little early with him to gain 15-20 lbs. of muscle, much like Sandy Cohen needed to do.   I think MU can beat out
Illinois for him.  Still need those bigs!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2487 on: July 20, 2016, 06:38:37 PM »
don't...don't don't don't don't

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2488 on: July 20, 2016, 06:41:13 PM »

So he's the next Jimmy Butler. Sold!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2489 on: July 20, 2016, 07:32:05 PM »
Looks to me like a typical 3 that needs to put on some weight in the weight room, would be a perfect candidate for Todd Smith to take him under his wing. Being from
Milwaukee and not far from the campus, he can start a little early with him to gain 15-20 lbs. of muscle, much like Sandy Cohen needed to do.   I think MU can beat out
Illinois for him.  Still need those bigs!

The comment I bolded kind of worries me. I feel like we've had a lot of guys we've said that about recently, and they haven't really bulked up. We've gotten pushed around a lot the last two years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2490 on: July 20, 2016, 07:40:06 PM »
I think that's because there was a fundamental difference between how Buzz and Wojo have approached the off season.  Buzz was focused on things like boot camp.  Wojo has been focused more on skill development.  Since the ACC is more of a "finesse league" than the BE that made sense given his background.  I think he fundamentally needs to emphasize the weight room more.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2491 on: July 20, 2016, 08:15:44 PM »
Strength and effort can overcome a lack of talent to a point. If Wojo can keep recruiting as well as he has we'll be just fine once those guys grow to be upperclassmen. Long, lean, and skilled will win anywhere.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2492 on: July 20, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »
Wojo would not have recruited a player like Sandy. He won't be a junkyard dog and Wojo was in a tough spot and needed him to stay. Hate to say it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2493 on: July 20, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »
Wojo would not have recruited a player like Sandy. He won't be a junkyard dog and Wojo was in a tough spot and needed him to stay. Hate to say it.

Yeah I think this is accurate.  Needed bodies after Buzz bailed and needed to be loyal to the offer for future recruiting sake.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 04:56:36 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2494 on: July 20, 2016, 09:58:26 PM »
Wojo really needs to offer somebody to get this thing back on track.

I go away fishing for a week and all you guys forget to feed the dog and lock the house?

Back to recruiting boys.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #2495 on: July 20, 2016, 10:27:39 PM »

Yeah I think this is accurate.  Needed bodies after Wojo bailed and needed to be loyal to the offer for future recruiting sake.

Did you mean buzz?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #2496 on: July 20, 2016, 10:53:04 PM »

Great write-up. I definitely appreciate the way you talk about more than just his skill set, but also his character and approach to the game. From everything I've read, he would be a great addition to Marquette.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #2497 on: July 20, 2016, 10:56:08 PM »

This may well be true. But I do think Wojo still sees potential in Sandy, who could be a significant contributor this season. Sandy may not be a star, but every team needs players who find and embrace a role that fits what they have to offer.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2498 on: July 21, 2016, 04:56:55 AM »
Did you mean buzz?

Yes. Corrected. Thanks.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #2499 on: July 21, 2016, 11:05:35 AM »
This may well be true. But I do think Wojo still sees potential in Sandy, who could be a significant contributor this season. Sandy may not be a star, but every team needs players who find and embrace a role that fits what they have to offer.

Plus Tax

Sandy will contribute this season.....just concentrate on his assignments and keep his head clear.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust