collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Will the stock market crash (June 24 2016 Update)?  (Read 117863 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Will the stock market crash Monday (June 29)?
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 04:26:42 AM »
yeah my 401k contribution comes this Friday.

It always seems like I am a few days behind the big discount days, 401k-wise. Market will rebound tomorrow and Wednesday  >:(

But I still throw a C Note into my Roth IRA on days like today.

Roth? A c note?  Rough. The plastic surgery biz isn't paying much these days, a1nal??
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:05:50 PM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 08:46:58 AM »
Roth? A c note?  Rough. The plastic surgery biz isn't paying much these days, I'm really a badger fanl?

In my 20s. Sorry I haven't reached your income yet.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 09:59:42 AM »
In my 20s. Sorry I haven't reached your income yet.

Best money you will ever make investing is that invested in your 20s.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 10:04:42 AM »
I like market chaos -- people overreact.   I rarely sell and I stockpile cash for buying opportunities.  A set amount of my paycheck goes into the cash balance of my brokerage account every month.

I am a buy and hold type of person who is mostly into investing in companies that regularly raise their dividend.  I will sell at a predetermined amount in order to take my initial investment out and then let the rest ride.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 10:09:22 AM »
I like market chaos -- people overreact.   I rarely sell and I stockpile cash for buying opportunities.  A set amount of my paycheck goes into the cash balance of my brokerage account every month.

I am a buy and hold type of person who is mostly into investing in companies that regularly raise their dividend.  I will sell at a predetermined amount in order to take my initial investment out and then let the rest ride.

Agreed. At this stage of my life, I am only buying investments, never selling. Everything I need or want in my daily life I can purchase out of my bi-weekly cash flow or cash savings. People say you can't time the market, and this is true if you are buying and selling, but if you are just buying, you can time the hell out of it. I make regular dollar-cost averaging contributions to a 401k and Roth every 2 weeks, but if there is a 1% dip or more on any given day, you can bet I am throwing in more. To me, that is timing the market.  Sure, selling is a completely different animal, but I'm not worried about that right now.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2015, 06:16:17 PM »
Here we go again, Wall Street is freaking out about tomorrow (July 6).  Dow Jones futures are pointing at another down 250 to 300 day (as of now)

Greece resoundingly voted no to the European deal.  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 06:23:06 PM by Heisenberg »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2015, 06:27:03 PM »
 Yep. Down tomorrow and back up by the end of the week.

Enjoy your status as a Third World country, Greece!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2015, 06:35:10 PM »

I say the U.S. should offer to bail them out in exchange for a few of the more desirable Greek Islands. We could make it the 51st state - our Mediterranean Hawaii, as it were.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2015, 08:10:24 PM »

Greece....the Puerto Rico of Europe.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2015, 08:24:35 PM »
This person gets it:  http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/05/investing/what-to-expect-market-greece-vote/index.html

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2015, 08:53:46 PM »
 “If more respected investors had warned about the market in ’07, we might have avoided the crisis in ’08.  I think the public is walking into a trap again…”  –  Carl Icahn via Twitter June 24, 2015

Who is Carl Icahn?

http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2013/1312/360_cover_1216.jpg

December 16, 2013

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2015, 10:21:39 PM »
If I was 79 like Carl Icahn, I'd be really worried about a short-term drop.  I'm not, so I'm not.

The market bounced back from '08 just fine, and regardless of what happens tomorrow, it'll bounce back again.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »
I say the U.S. should offer to bail them out in exchange for a few of the more desirable Greek Islands. We could make it the 51st state - our Mediterranean Hawaii, as it were.

That's out of the box thinking.

We bought this Purchase from France, some land from Mexico, Alaska from Russia, and island from Denmark.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2015, 08:11:40 AM »
That's out of the box thinking.

We bought this Purchase from France, some land from Mexico, Alaska from Russia, and island from Denmark.

Plus, there's the added benefit of driving the other European nations insane with the notion of the U.S. having a foothold in Europe.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:30:53 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2015, 08:36:16 AM »

I vote Lesbos.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2015, 09:08:36 AM »

I vote Lesbos.

Well, Sultan, you win the prize.  I was wondering who was going to say that first.
Have some patience, FFS.

ShootinOutWallsofHeartach

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2015, 01:57:32 AM »
I thought it takes a solvent entity to bail out an insolvent one. Silly me, I forgot about quantitative easing. "Hit it, Fed printing presses!" I thought that original Ponzi guy was Italian. Bravo Fiat (great car) money systems!!

More I think about it, what a great idea! China will never find us in our ClubMed Thassos.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2015, 07:43:55 AM »
Well, Sultan, you win the prize.  I was wondering who was going to say that first.

You heard the views were fantastic too?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2015, 07:51:54 AM »
Carl Ichan is an activist investor. He creates his own news to try and push the market in ways in which he'll profit. If you're long term investing you should completely ignore him. If you're short-term trading, then you can try and trade on the "news" that he spins himself.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2015, 08:21:02 AM »
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/calm-markets-are-bad-news-for-greek-negotiators/

Ultimately Greece will have to do some work on it's entitlements and some banks are going to have to forgive debt.  This will not bring down the financial system.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2015, 10:00:34 AM »
Agreed. At this stage of my life, I am only buying investments, never selling. Everything I need or want in my daily life I can purchase out of my bi-weekly cash flow or cash savings. People say you can't time the market, and this is true if you are buying and selling, but if you are just buying, you can time the hell out of it. I make regular dollar-cost averaging contributions to a 401k and Roth every 2 weeks, but if there is a 1% dip or more on any given day, you can bet I am throwing in more. To me, that is timing the market.  Sure, selling is a completely different animal, but I'm not worried about that right now.

A+ for sound personal financial planning.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2015, 03:29:55 PM »
A+ for sound personal financial planning.

What do you buy?  Individual stocks?  Mutual funds?  ETFs? Foreign?  Only domestic?  Bonds?  Alternative investments?  Do you buy leverage instruments (or use leverage)?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2015, 03:45:43 PM »
What do you buy?  Individual stocks?  Mutual funds?  ETFs? Foreign?  Only domestic?  Bonds?  Alternative investments?  Do you buy leverage instruments (or use leverage)?

low-cost index funds.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2015, 07:32:32 PM »
For the third Sunday night in a row markets are wobbly over Greece.