collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Will the stock market crash (June 24 2016 Update)?  (Read 118662 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Will the stock market crash (June 24 2016 Update)?
« Reply #550 on: February 02, 2020, 07:25:29 AM »
Simple solution:  26+6=1.

I think it could happen.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #551 on: February 02, 2020, 08:04:32 AM »
I doubt we will see any sort of formal unificaiton in our lifetimes.  More that Northern Ireland will exist as a quasi-independent state with growing economic ties to Ireland because being a member of the EU makes sense.  I just hope that we don't see a repeat of the unnecceary violence of the past.

England is going to have to spend its time worrying about Scotland. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #552 on: February 02, 2020, 10:44:51 AM »
The country responsible for educating billions of people, bringing civilization to vast parts of the world, immense advances in medicine, and on and on....God Bless England

They sure have spread racial and ethnic problems.  And famine.  And disease.  And indentured servitude.  And slavery.  And use of concentration camps.  And stealing cultural heritage.  And theft.  And rape.  And murder.  If that's what you mean by civilization then yeah, they've done a lot. 

Their greatest contribution is that their oppression led the the revolution and the rise of democracy.  Their greatest contribution to civilization is oppression.

The history books bleed with the atrocities of the English.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #553 on: February 02, 2020, 10:47:16 AM »
They sure have spread racial and ethnic problems.  And famine.  And disease.  And indentured servitude.  And slavery.  And use of concentration camps.  And stealing cultural heritage.  And theft.  And rape.  And murder.  If that's what you mean by civilization then yeah, they've done a lot. 

Their greatest contribution is that their oppression led the the revolution and the rise of democracy.  Their greatest contribution to civilization is oppression.

Amen, Buck.

• All American
« Reply #554 on: February 02, 2020, 11:43:48 AM »

The American revolution replaced the English democracy of landowning, white males with the American democracy of landowning, white males.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #555 on: February 02, 2020, 11:54:24 AM »

And to this point, the English were usually better than their other European counterparts.  But that's not saying much.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #556 on: February 02, 2020, 12:08:21 PM »

You're right, the English are to blame for it all.

::)

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #557 on: February 02, 2020, 12:48:27 PM »
You're right, the English are to blame for it all.

::)

They're not responsible for it all, and I didn't say they were.  But they are responsible for all those things, and more, in many places around the world. 

They have been oppressive in Wales and Scotland. In Ireland.  In Africa.  In India.  In Pakistan.  In China. In Tibet. In Australia.  In Oceania. In the Caribbean.  In North America.

Even when they are the good guys, fighting the Nazis, they are actively starving out millions of people in India.  Ghandi, and international symbol of peace and civil rights, was a villain to the Empire.

There aren't many others that can match their list of atrocities.  There aren't many others that could match the expanse of their empire.  Empires, though, are not typically built through peaceful and moral means.  There have been other tyrants.  Other evils.  Other empires.  Plenty of them.  All with blood on their hands, the US not excluded.  But few have been at it for so long, with such a record of success.  They have been oppressing and conquesting for nearly a thousand years.  And now, their atrocities are largely whitewashed in perception.  They are the good guys, spreading culture and education.  Right.

I didn't make this stuff up out of hand.  It is quite simply history.  Much of it written with pride by bloody English hands. 

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 01:09:58 PM by buckchuckler »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #558 on: February 02, 2020, 01:04:54 PM »
Earl Grey is very good tea, though.

They also gave us Monty Python and Bond, James Bond.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #559 on: February 02, 2020, 02:19:10 PM »
I didn't make this stuff up out of hand.  It is quite simply history.  Much of it written with pride by bloody English hands.

Im a true Anglophile. Love British TV, obsessive about soccer, fascinated by their history and elements of their culture, would move to London in a heartbeat given the chance...that being said, you’re completely right.

Take the British Museum in London. Incredible museum, but as my buddy who lived near it for awhile once said “it’s a display of the British going ‘here’s the cool stuff we took from places we forcibly invaded!”

I don’t think their influence was all bad, and there is a charm to the hybrid culture of former British colonies, but there is no denying the brutality and oppressive nature of the Empire. Hell, the East India Company had an army more powerful than most countries and pretty much existed solely for the economic domination of the Crown

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #560 on: February 02, 2020, 04:45:37 PM »
Im a true Anglophile. Love British TV, obsessive about soccer, fascinated by their history and elements of their culture, would move to London in a heartbeat given the chance...that being said, you’re completely right.

Wags, I, too, think their history is fascinating and try to absorb as much of it as possible.

I love British TV as well, but I think it is the drama shows that are far and away the best they have to offer. Their comedies, generally leave me asking, "Huh". Of course their is Fleabag and a couple others but that is about it.

Just wondering your opinion on British comedies vs. British drama shows..

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #561 on: February 03, 2020, 07:51:20 AM »
Wags, I, too, think their history is fascinating and try to absorb as much of it as possible.

I love British TV as well, but I think it is the drama shows that are far and away the best they have to offer. Their comedies, generally leave me asking, "Huh". Of course their is Fleabag and a couple others but that is about it.

Just wondering your opinion on British comedies vs. British drama shows..

I think there is a “British” humor you have to get.  It’s a big drier and off kilter.  Like Mr Bean for example (but I think that’s just comedic brilliance). There are some I love, but I’ve found that I can show them to my GF or others and they don’t land. Like I loved Gavin and Stacy which my old English mama her recommended to me, but my friends were like  :o.  I’ve usually found ones I like by seeing comedians or comic actors I like in interviews or other shows, and working backwards.

I feel like the “newer” British comedies aren’t as hard to grasp. Catastrophe, Bad Education, Fleabag all have that British comedic influence, but it’s more easy to digest.  Man Like Mobeen is one of my newest favorites on Netflix. Very regional and British centric references and slang, but the premise and jokes are absolutely fantastic.

But I do agree, their dramas are incredible. I can’t get enough. They do period pieces especially well. Also a big fan of some of the seasons being only 3-5 episodes long, but each episode is 1.5+ hours. Like they did with Sherlock or Luther

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #562 on: February 03, 2020, 09:05:00 AM »
They're not responsible for it all, and I didn't say they were.  But they are responsible for all those things, and more, in many places around the world. 

They have been oppressive in Wales and Scotland. In Ireland.  In Africa.  In India.  In Pakistan.  In China. In Tibet. In Australia.  In Oceania. In the Caribbean.  In North America.

Even when they are the good guys, fighting the Nazis, they are actively starving out millions of people in India.  Ghandi, and international symbol of peace and civil rights, was a villain to the Empire.

There aren't many others that can match their list of atrocities.  There aren't many others that could match the expanse of their empire.  Empires, though, are not typically built through peaceful and moral means.  There have been other tyrants.  Other evils.  Other empires.  Plenty of them.  All with blood on their hands, the US not excluded.  But few have been at it for so long, with such a record of success.  They have been oppressing and conquesting for nearly a thousand years.  And now, their atrocities are largely whitewashed in perception.  They are the good guys, spreading culture and education.  Right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-tPscKRaQY

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #563 on: February 03, 2020, 10:59:23 AM »
I doubt we will see any sort of formal unificaiton in our lifetimes.  More that Northern Ireland will exist as a quasi-independent state with growing economic ties to Ireland because being a member of the EU makes sense.  I just hope that we don't see a repeat of the unnecceary violence of the past.

England is going to have to spend its time worrying about Scotland.

The Catholics vs the Protestants has lost some of it's fire with the decline of religious participation in both N. Ireland and the Republic.   Plus disarmament by the IRA. And now Brexit.  A unified Ireland is closer than many think.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #564 on: February 03, 2020, 11:22:42 AM »

Take the British Museum in London. Incredible museum, but as my buddy who lived near it for awhile once said “it’s a display of the British going ‘here’s the cool stuff we took from places we forcibly invaded!”

I don’t think their influence was all bad, and there is a charm to the hybrid culture of former British colonies, but there is no denying the brutality and oppressive nature of the Empire. Hell, the East India Company had an army more powerful than most countries and pretty much existed solely for the economic domination of the Crown

Boy, you should see the Louvre.  :P

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #565 on: February 03, 2020, 11:37:18 AM »
The Catholics vs the Protestants has lost some of it's fire with the decline of religious participation in both N. Ireland and the Republic.   Plus disarmament by the IRA. And now Brexit.  A unified Ireland is closer than many think.

This.  26+6 has been a dream for decades, but deep down, everyone knew it wasn't possible without significant bloodshed.  Until now.

It would be ulsterly amazing from an anthropological standpoint to see this happen; 20 years ago, a peaceful reunification of Ireland was about as likely as... well... a peaceful reunification of Ireland.  With more and more hardliners dying off (or at least relinquishing power/influence) every day, it could be just a few years away.  Perhaps even months... because - and Piper, please correct me if I'm off in my observations here - if there's one thing that the Republic and N Ireland agree upon, it's that they are absolutely not closing the border again.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 11:39:39 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #566 on: February 03, 2020, 11:58:16 AM »
This.  26+6 has been a dream for decades, but deep down, everyone knew it wasn't possible without significant bloodshed.  Until now.

It would be ulsterly amazing from an anthropological standpoint to see this happen; 20 years ago, a peaceful reunification of Ireland was about as likely as... well... a peaceful reunification of Ireland.  With more and more hardliners dying off (or at least relinquishing power/influence) every day, it could be just a few years away.  Perhaps even months... because - and Piper, please correct me if I'm off in my observations here - if there's one thing that the Republic and N Ireland agree upon, it's that they are absolutely not closing the border again.

The only people looking for a hard border are the DUP. A unification is possible as time goes on, but the tories usually need them to maintain a majority so they might not be excited to get rid of them, unless Johnson gets sick of dealing with that economic hole and decides to let them go. Id place a good amount of money we see independent Scotland before United ireland.
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #567 on: February 03, 2020, 12:24:53 PM »

Thank you both for this.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #568 on: February 03, 2020, 12:29:50 PM »
Absolutely. They’re gonna need it.

Should have gone all in and adopted the Euro.

No way, the Euro is a disaster. Ticking time bomb. Gives Germany too much power over other countries for one, and being able to issue debt in a currency you print is pretty important.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #569 on: February 03, 2020, 12:54:39 PM »
English policy at one point in time was formally "Make the world England", that's about as oppressive a slogan as you can generate without formally saying something like "We coming for your technology, your women, and your wealth and what's more you're gonna like it"

Having said that, it's also of an age where human society was of the sophistication that might makes right.....I believe we've evolved as a society so we can both recognize the mistakes of the past while not dwelling on them to the point of crippling society. It's a delicate balance to be sure.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #570 on: February 03, 2020, 01:04:45 PM »
English policy at one point in time was formally "Make the world England", that's about as oppressive a slogan as you can generate without formally saying something like "We coming for your technology, your women, and your wealth and what's more you're gonna like it"

Having said that, it's also of an age where human society was of the sophistication that might makes right.....I believe we've evolved as a society so we can both recognize the mistakes of the past while not dwelling on them to the point of crippling society. It's a delicate balance to be sure.
Reasonable.  What is an argument like that doing on Scoop?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #571 on: February 03, 2020, 01:42:09 PM »
Boy, you should see the Louvre.  :P

I could be mistaken, but I believe they returned a lot of works post-Napoleon.  Then again, Ive spent most of my time on both my visits trying not to be trampled or outright shoved out of the way by obnoxious tourists.

That being said, the Louvre, still feels like a premiere art museum, regardless of the origin of pieces.  The British Museum, on the other hand, feels like a monument to conquest thinly disguised as a historical museum on anthropology.  I still prefer it to the Louvre though  ;D

• All American
« Reply #572 on: February 03, 2020, 01:52:29 PM »
England fought two wars in support of the East India Company illegally smuggling opium into China.  And got a lease for Hong Kong out of the deal.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #573 on: February 03, 2020, 01:56:19 PM »

I'd agree entirely regarding recognizing the past and not letting it cripple you. I love london, it's one of about 4 cities around the globe I could see myself living in permanently. though with England it's not long ago that they were actively oppressing the catholic vote and taking rights away from them, not to mention the orange order is still able to throw a big parade through the catholic neighborhoods in Derry and Belfast. So it seems odd that anyone (particularly a right leaning catholic) would want to say "god bless England". Then double down proclaiming they've pretty much only done good.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #574 on: February 03, 2020, 02:03:23 PM »
I'd agree entirely regarding recognizing the past and not letting it cripple you. I love london, it's one of about 4 cities around the globe I could see myself living in permanently. though with England it's not long ago that they were actively oppressing the catholic vote and taking rights away from them, not to mention the orange order is still able to throw a big parade through the catholic neighborhoods in Derry and Belfast. So it seems odd that anyone (particularly a right leaning catholic) would want to say "god bless England". Then double down proclaiming they've pretty much only done good.

Yeah, there is no doubt one of the issues creating the "crippling" is those who would stick their fingers in their ears and shout "lalalalalalalalalalalallalala" when someone points out past transgressions, especially those that are relatively contemporary. One of the key vestiges of the tribal era that I hope dies first/quick as we emerge into the post-tribal era is the "my side has done nothing wrong" mentality.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback