[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette University honors ’70s cop-killer Assata Shakur with mural  (Read 109776 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
An official Marquette University Facebook post celebrated it (first post above).

I wouldn't blame Lovell for the post, but his administration should be the one getting it unposted and issuing a mea culpa \ clarifying statement. 

The fact that it wants to fire McAdams for his comments and applauds this a-hole looks terrible for the university. 

$2M reward

http://www.njsp.org/news/pdf/pr050213_chesimard_eng.pdf

Cool to see the exposure.  I say we bring her back, make her a prof.

https://www.facebook.com/GSRCMarquette/photos/pb.267616383349201.-2207520000.1431906002./703178749792960/?type=1&theater

http://twitchy.com/2015/05/16/marquette-university-honors-70s-cop-killer-prison-escapee-assata-shakur-with-mural/

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/05/17/catholic-university-honors-cop-killer-and-catches-hell-205375

It's on about 100 sites now.  It will be picked up nationally I'm sure in the next few days.

Pakuni

• All American
You really don't see a difference between a personal blog and university property?  Oh and no one has been fired yet, nor is anyone demanding that someone be fired.

Actually, no, I don't see the difference, not when the person behind the "personal blog" is a well-known Marquette employee who devotes a large part of his personal blog to Marquette and Marquette issues.
Are you suggesting academic freedom is only academic freedom off-campus? Or that academic freedom applies more to a personal blog than it does to what happens within the confines of the university?

Just to be clear, I think this mural is dumb, offensive, in poor taste, obviously not well thought-out and ought to be removed.
But I can't help but chuckle to see some of McAdams' defenders screeching like angry pterodactyls over this.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 06:48:19 PM by Pakuni »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
You know what fuc king sickens me. The fact that people have been commenting on a photo of my and my friends that marquette posted on Facebook to make a political point by bringing up this issue. Fu ck those people for fuc king putting a bad taste in my mouth on my graduation day.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Tolerance, in this country disguised as freedom of expression, is just a disgrace.

Hell yes....but that makes us racists Doc....don't you know better.

Pakuni

• All American

Do you ever get tired of nailing yourself to a cross?

Eldon

• All American
Actually, no, I don't see the difference, not when the person behind the "personal blog" is a well-known Marquette employee who devotes a large part of his personal blog to Marquette and Marquette issues.
Are you suggesting academic freedom is only academic freedom off-campus? Or that academic freedom applies more to a personal blog than it does to what happens within the confines of the university?

Just to be clear, I think this mural is dumb, offensive, in poor taste, obviously not well thought-out and ought to be removed.
But I can't help but chuckle to see some of McAdams' defenders screeching like angry pterodactyls over this.

When a professor comes out and says something silly (see Duke poli sci prof in the New York Times comments section, just a few days ago), the university can make a public condemnation.  But that's all that the university can do (again see the most recent Duke case).  The university must respect the professor's right to say it because that right is guaranteed with tenure.  

This mural, on the other hand, is different.  How so?  The university can not only condemn it, but can actively take steps to remove it without breaching any contract.  'Academic freedom' is not some arbitrary notion created by "academic freedom fighters" on MUScoop.

I am one of the McAdams defenders who is also thoroughly disappointed in this mural.  You see this as an inconsistency, but it is not.  Go back and read my first post in this thread.  I saw this mural, was disappointed, but wanted to first make sure that it was in a public area of the university first.  If this mural were in, say, a professor's office (or a more realistic hypothetical example, a huge poster on the wall), then I would defend the right of the professor to keep it up

warriorchick

• All American

It's on about 100 sites now.  It will be picked up nationally I'm sure in the next few days.

What do you mean "will be"?  It was all over Fox News this morning.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
What do you mean "will be"?  It was all over Fox News this morning.

Sorry, I don't watch much Fox News.  I was away at a hockey game today as well.  Didn't see it.  Thanks.

warriorchick

• All American
Marquette has released a response:

Our university’s senior leadership just became aware of a mural that was created and displayed in a remote area of campus. This is extremely disappointing as the mural does not reflect the Guiding Values of Marquette University. It is being removed immediately. We are reviewing the circumstances surrounding the mural and will take appropriate action.

http://news.marquette.edu/news-releases/marquette-university-statement-may-17-2015/
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American

Our university’s senior leadership just became aware of a mural that was created and displayed in a remote area of campus. This is extremely disappointing as the mural does not reflect the Guiding Values of Marquette University. It is being removed immediately. We are reviewing the circumstances surrounding the mural and will take appropriate action.

http://news.marquette.edu/news-releases/marquette-university-statement-may-17-2015/

Oooooh, heads gone roll!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
And when made aware, the appropriate actions are taken and it becomes a minor footnote about some young campus radicals who did something dumb.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
And when made aware, the appropriate actions are taken and it becomes a minor footnote about some young campus radicals who did something dumb.

I'm still in wait and see mode. I'd like to hear the "how" it happened and what steps are taken to avoid in the future... including potentially addressing the group(s) involved.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
I'm still in wait and see mode. I'd like to hear the "how" it happened and what steps are taken to avoid in the future... including potentially addressing the group(s) involved.

The mural was on the wall of an office on the 4th floor of AMU that didn't get a lot of traffic.  Mu guess is that none of the bigwigs had seen that mural since it was put up in March, or didn't know who Assata Shakur was (if you had asked me, I would have guessed it was Tupac's mom).

Per a rep I know at OMC, the response was delayed because everyone was at graduation ceremonies this weekend.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
You know what fuc king sickens me. The fact that people have been commenting on a photo of my and my friends that marquette posted on Facebook to make a political point by bringing up this issue. Fu ck those people for fuc king putting a bad taste in my mouth on my graduation day.

In the not too distant future, I hope you can give a more complete, nuanced version.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American

The mural was on the wall of an office on the 4th floor of AMU that didn't get a lot of traffic.  Mu guess is that none of the bigwigs had seen that mural since it was put up in March, or didn't know who Assata Shakur was (if you had asked me, I would have guessed it was Tupac's mom).

Per a rep I know at OMC, the response was delayed because everyone was at graduation ceremonies this weekend.

Fookin' mural has no place at MU. Not even on the wall of stall #3 at the Old Gym, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American

Congrats on your graduation, Chitown. Could you please translate? Thanks.

GGGG

• All American
BTW, I do want to make it clear that I think this mural needs to go.  While the quote might be nice and all, and Mussolini made the trains run on time, it is simply the wrong thing to do.

warriorchick

• All American

Cause its all about you.

Actually, on the day you graduate, it is.

Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American

It is what it is. Just gotta have the penis to tell it like it is, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American

OK perfect.  This is exactly how it should have been handled.

I guess I should keep my eyes peeled for the radicalized homosexuals that Heisentroll said were going to chain themselves to the door.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Victory

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!

Fookin' mural has no place at MU. Not even on the wall of stall #3 at the Old Gym, ai na?

Here it is in smelly vapors,
Someone stole the toilet paper.
How much longer shall I linger
Till I'm forced to use my finger?

ai na?

GGGG

• All American

One question that needs to be asked is how Marquette PR didn't know about this despite the fact that a seemingly official Facebook account mentioned it during the entire Spring semester.

So either, they are covering their azz right now, or they aren't monitoring these accounts regularly...either one of these is a big problem.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American

In law, there is a distinction between permitting private speech and subsidizing private speech.  It is perfectly rational to think that the university should not step on profs when they exercise their personal speech rights, but not be forced to support everything and anything that a student wants to paint on the university's walls.  There is a pretty blatant distinction here.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Schools out. Students are gone.

Go in and repaint it.

Just like those b@stards did to our Dark Side of the Moon painting on 10 south over the summer of 1980. 

Those are probably the same sonsuvbitches who also painted over Traffic's On The Road and YesSongs on Schroeder 10N! I mean, like, what the f#ck?

Death on call

feedback