[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:41:23 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette University honors ’70s cop-killer Assata Shakur with mural  (Read 110230 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Marquette University honors ’70s cop-killer, prison escapee Assata Shakur with mural
Posted at 7:58 pm on May 16, 2015

http://twitchy.com/2015/05/16/marquette-university-honors-70s-cop-killer-prison-escapee-assata-shakur-with-mural/

It was just a couple of weeks ago that Twitchy reported on a disturbing new fashion trend among #BlackLivesMatter demonstrators: the emergence of the “ASSATA TAUGHT ME” protest hoodie, celebrating ’70s cop-killer Assata Shakur.

In a 2013 column, Michelle Malkin gave a primer on cop-killing radicals fetishized by the Left, including Shakur, née Joanne Chesimard, who in 1973 shot and killed New Jersey state trooper Werner Foerster execution-style during a traffic stop. She was sentenced to life in 1977, but escaped from prison two years later with help from violent left-wing accomplices and now lives in Cuba as a political asylee.

As Twitchy wrote at the time, “What exactly has Assata taught protesters? That cop-killing pays.”

It turns out that Shakur keeps on teaching, having found a prominent position at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wis. That position is on a wall in the university’s  Gender and Sexuality Resource Center, in the form of a mural featuring her likeness and two quotes.

Charles Sykes, editor-in-chief of Right Wisconsin, points his readers to a post in the Marquette Warrior by John McAdams, a professor of political science at Marquette who has been ordered to stay off campus over a blog post criticizing a student teacher who wouldn’t allow one of her students to voice his opposition to same-sex marriage in class.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 07:16:09 AM by Heisenberg »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assata_Shakur

Assata Olugbala Shakur (born JoAnne Deborah Byron on July 16, 1947[1]), whose married name was Chesimard,[2][3] is an African-American activist and member of the former Black Panther Party (BPP) and Black Liberation Army (BLA). Between 1971 and 1973, Shakur was accused of several crimes and was the subject of a multistate manhunt.[4][5]

In May 1973, Shakur was involved in a shootout on the New Jersey Turnpike, in which she was accused of killing New Jersey State Trooper Werner Foerster and grievously assaulting Trooper James Harper.[6] BLA member Zayd Malik Shakur was also killed in the incident, and Shakur was wounded.[6] Between 1973 and 1977, Shakur was indicted in relation to six other incidents—charged with murder, attempted murder, armed robbery, bank robbery, and kidnapping—resulting in three acquittals and three dismissals. In 1977, she was convicted of the first-degree murder of Foerster and of seven other felonies related to the shootout.[7]

Shakur was incarcerated in several prisons in the 1970s. She escaped from prison in 1979 and fled to Cuba in 1984 after living as a fugitive for a few years, and received political asylum. She has been living in Cuba ever since. Since May 2, 2005, the FBI has classified her as a domestic terrorist and offered a $1 million reward for assistance in her capture. On May 2, 2013, the FBI added her to the Most Wanted Terrorist List; the first woman to be listed.[8] On the same day, the New Jersey Attorney General offered to match the FBI reward, increasing the total reward for her capture to $2 million.[9]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:51:44 AM by Heisenberg »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
@SykesCharlie
As Foerster lay on ground wounded and helpless, Shakur grabbed his gun and blasted two shots into his head.

----------------

So when will MU put up a mural praising "Jihadi John", the ISIS executioner that beheaded James Foley?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:52:20 AM by Heisenberg »

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
There better be more details to this story than what I read above.  If not, then I find this mural to be an appalling, utterly stupid mistake by my alma mater.  Anyone know any more about it?
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

GGGG

• All American
There better be more details to this story than what I read above.  If not, then I find this mural to be an appalling, utterly stupid mistake by my alma mater.  Anyone know any more about it?

Why don't you ask the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center?  They have a public Facebook page, and very likely a phone.  If you are respectful about it, you will likely get a substantive response.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

+100.  I usually don't go in for the random shenanigans on campus, I don't get riled up about McAdams or whatever the angst flavor of the day is.

But this one pisses me off. 

Anyone know if there's another side of the story?  I mean, there has to be for unnatural carnal knowledges sake.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
It's Marquette being Marquette. And someone got pissy with me the other day when I said that we had an unbelievably bloated bureaucracy. Put politics aside, a lot of these people are too stupid to be employed by any serious organization.

GGGG

• All American
It's Marquette being Marquette. And someone got pissy with me the other day when I said that we had an unbelievably bloated bureaucracy. Put politics aside, a lot of these people are too stupid to be employed by any serious organization.

Statements like this are just pissing in the wind.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
+100.  I usually don't go in for the random shenanigans on campus, I don't get riled up about McAdams or whatever the angst flavor of the day is.

But this one pisses me off.  

Anyone know if there's another side of the story?  I mean, there has to be for unnatural carnal knowledges sake.

Look at the first post, MU tweeted out the picture praising it!  Their is no other side.  Both the administration and GSRC think this is a good idea.

Should MU "shut it down?"  No, but Lovell can and should make a speech decrying it, embarrassing those that thought this was a good idea and make it clear that this free expression of speech, while allowed, is not the right message.

And while Lovell is at it, he can apologize to McAdams and say the same applies to him.

He won't ... MU wants to be an elite university like that big school in Madison.  That means celebrating violent left-wing murderers and punishing right-wingers that ask questions in a blog post.

They are well on their way.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 09:38:13 AM by Heisenberg »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Another thought,

If MU does not distance himself from this soon, some reporter is going to ask Walker about it.  I expect him to be very critical of it and MU will became a "whipping boy" for the debate of left-wing professors ruining US colleges within the presidential campaign.

Unless Lovell wants to go on Meet the Press or Fox New Sunday and have to defend it, and probably look bad trying and make MU seem like a place that encourages hate and has turned its back on Catholic values, the administration should reconsider their praise for this hateful Mural.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Look at the first post, MU tweeted out the picture praising it!  Their is no other side.  Both the administration and GSRC think this is a good idea.

Should MU "shut it down?"  No, but Lovell can and should make a speech decrying it, embarrassing those that thought this was a good idea and make it clear that this free expression of speech, while allowed, is not the right message.

And while Lovell is at it, he can apologize to McAdams and say the same applies to him.

He won't ... MU wants to be an elite university like that big school in Madison.  That means celebrating violent left-wing murderers and punishing right-wingers that ask questions in a blog post.

They are well on their way.

While I find this mural to be outrageous I find your comment to be asinine
Maigh Eo for Sam

Tugg Speedman

• All American
While I find this mural to be outrageous I find your comment to be asinine

Please explain

GGGG

• All American

Actually that is a copy of a Facebook post.  Not a tweet.  And we have no idea if "the administration" thinks this is a good idea.  My guess is that they don't even know.

Should MU "shut it down?"  No, but Lovell can and should make a speech decrying it, embarrassing those that thought this was a good idea and make it clear that this free expression of speech, while allowed, is not the right message.

Really?  The President of the University should make a speech (bringing more attention to it) with the intent of either "embarrassing" staff or students? 

No.  What they should do is decide if it is inappropriate, and if so, paint it over sometime this summer.

He won't ... MU wants to be an elite university like that big school in Madison.  That means celebrating violent left-wing murderers and punishing right-wingers that ask questions in a blog post.

Of course the two situations are completely different.  But don't let that stop your hyperbolic rants.

Eldon

• All American
Is AMU425 a room for all students or is it the (private/semi-private) offices of the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center?  And who commissioned the painting?

I ask because this could be nothing more than having a slightly-bigger poster on the wall.  I mean, what if some political science professor had a poster of Joseph Stalin in his office?  Should Lovell make a statement?  Of course not.  Is this painting in a public part of the university?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Really?  The President of the University should make a speech (bringing more attention to it) with the intent of either "embarrassing" staff or students?  

No.  What they should do is decide if it is inappropriate, and if so, paint it over sometime this summer.

Its already getting national news and when Walker weighs in (because someone will ask him), it will get a lot more.

And if it is not getting enough attention, waiting until the GSRC members chain themselves to AMU door 425 to prevent it from being painted over this summer ... per your idea of saying nothing and sending in a maintenance man with a bucket of white paint some random Tuesday in July.  You don't think that will make news?

Finally, I don't think we should excuse the facebook post because we should come to expect MU to be a bloated inefficient bureaucracy where no one knows what anyone else is doing.

GGGG

• All American
Its already getting national news and when Walker weighs in (because someone will ask him), it will get a lot more.

And if it is not getting enough attention, waiting until the GSRC members chain themselves to AMU door 425 to prevent it from being painted over this summer ... per your idea of saying nothing and sending in a maintenance man with a bucket of white paint some random Tuesday in July.  You don't think that will make news?

Finally, I don't think we should excuse the facebook post because we should come to expect MU to be a bloated inefficient bureaucracy where no one knows what anyone else is doing.

No one is going to chain themselves to anything unless the President of the University amps up the controversy by making a speech about it as a way of shaming students and staff.  While this is a dumb thing, it isn't getting all that much attention and isn't really that big of a deal.  This is something you handle quietly.  

And I have no idea what your last paragraph means.  I have no idea who runs that Facebook account.  For all I know it could be a student.

EDIT:  This center is run under the direction of Dr. Susannah Bartlow.  Again, my suggestion is that you email her and respectfully ask these questions directly to her.  You can find her email address on Marquette's web site.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:26:31 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

real chili 83

• All American
Schools out. Students are gone.

Go in and repaint it.

Just like those b@stards did to our Dark Side of the Moon painting on 10 south over the summer of 1980. 

Eldon

• All American
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/q4mziCJheiw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/q4mziCJheiw</a>

Tugg Speedman

• All American
No one is going to chain themselves to anything unless the President of the University amps up the controversy by making a speech about it as a way of shaming students and staff.  While this is a dumb thing, it isn't getting all that much attention and isn't really that big of a deal.  This is something you handle quietly.  

And I have no idea what your last paragraph means.  I have no idea who runs that Facebook account.  For all I know it could be a student.

So the GSRC students are going to get a stern lecture behind closed doors and without any publicly it will quietly be painted over with no one saying a word about it?  You really believe this will happen?

You know why this room even exists in the first place?

http://www.rightwisconsin.com/perspectives/marquette-university-honors-a-cop-killer-304002621.html

Marquette’s Gender and Sexuality Resource Center was set up as a sop to the campus gay lobby in the wake of Marquette’s refusal to hire aggressively lesbian Arts & Sciences dean candidate Jodi O’Brien. Not surprisingly, it has consistently pursued a leftist secular agenda including, for example, the Femsex Seminar, which was so raunchy and so opposed to Marquette’s supposed "Catholic mission" that the Administration ordered that sponsorship be withdrawn.

MU has already publicly rebuked them once, so why would a scond be so bad?  Because this time everyone is paying attention?

I see no way this goes away quietly with them allowing it to be painted over without protest.

----

Again, MU is going to get a different kind of exposure the next 18 months.,  Walker is running for President and his years at MU, and lack of a degree already put it in a spotlight.  Walker has not announced yet, but when he does, the spotlight will change (and after he announces he will be asked about this unless it is painted over without controversy as you suggest).

The facebook account presents itself as a defacto statement from MU.  You're right it is probably a student.  Their policies should change on what goes on it.  Because right now the post suggests the administration approves of the Mural.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:33:48 AM by Heisenberg »

GGGG

• All American
So the GSRC students are going to get a stern lecture behind closed doors and without any publicly it will quietly be painted over with no one saying a word about it?  You really believe this will happen?

Do I think that's what will happen?  No.  My guess is nothing happens and this will fall on to the dustbin of controversies that really aren't that big of a deal.  And no...Walker will not be asked about it.

I think my suggestion that this be handled quietly is better than yours about giving a speech with the intent of embarrassing people.

Tugg Speedman

• All American

Do I think that's what will happen?  No.  My guess is nothing happens and this will fall on to the dustbin of controversies that really aren't that big of a deal.  And no...Walker will not be asked about it.

I think my suggestion that this be handled quietly is better than yours about giving a speech with the intent of embarrassing people.

If it could be handled quietly, it would have never happened in the first place.  This group seems to be so radicalized that I think their intention was to make an outrageous statements with the intent of getting push-back.  And if this mural is not addressed, it will be forgotten because their next statement will be even more outrageous.  So draw the line now.

Responsibility is an important part of maturing.  If you want to make statements like this, then you should be asked to defend them.  If this is to much to ask of this group, then the GSRC should be closed.

GGGG

• All American
http://www.rightwisconsin.com/perspectives/marquette-university-honors-a-cop-killer-304002621.html

Marquette’s Gender and Sexuality Resource Center was set up as a sop to the campus gay lobby in the wake of Marquette’s refusal to hire aggressively lesbian Arts & Sciences dean candidate Jodi O’Brien. Not surprisingly, it has consistently pursued a leftist secular agenda including, for example, the Femsex Seminar, which was so raunchy and so opposed to Marquette’s supposed "Catholic mission" that the Administration ordered that sponsorship be withdrawn.

BTW, I think it is hilarious that the dumb decision not to hire O'Brien lead indirectly to this controversy. 

GGGG

• All American
If it could be handled quietly, it would have never happened in the first place.  This group seems to be so radicalized that I think their intention was to make an outrageous statements with the intent of getting push-back.  And if this mural is not addressed, it will be forgotten because their next statement will be even more outrageous.  So draw the line now.

Responsibility is an important part of maturing.  If you want to make statements like this, then you should be asked to defend them.  If this is to much to ask of this group, then the GSRC should be closed.

I don't think the intent of the group was to make controversial statements for the sake of getting push back.  I mean this mural was completed in late March and as far as I know, didn't come to the public's eye until the last few days.

You're overreacting. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American

I don't think the intent of the group was to make controversial statements for the sake of getting push back.  I mean this mural was completed in late March and as far as I know, didn't come to the public's eye until the last few days.

You're overreacting.  

If it is not to attract attention, then please explain what they think the purpose of this mural is?

And when answering, please interpret/rationalize the first quote recalling that a violent murderer made this statement.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:51:59 AM by Heisenberg »

GGGG

• All American
If it is not to attract attention, then please explain what they think the purpose of this mural is?

I don't know.  Art?  Inspirational quote?  If it was simply to create controversy, they didn't really do a good job at it. 

As I said, ask the Director.  I gave you her name.  You can find her contact information pretty easily.

feedback