[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette University honors ’70s cop-killer Assata Shakur with mural  (Read 110381 times)

warriorchick

• All American
I get that college kids sometimes take a weird ideological detour during the college years, but it is the responsibility of paid faculty/administrators/staff to vet things like this.

Supposedly, adult professionals who have some level of critical and analytical thinking are working with these student groups.  They don't need to censor anything, but probably would head off a lot of PR disasters like this one by asking students what is the complete background behind this person and within that background what are issues that will detract from the message you are trying to get out?  Do those issues overshadow what you are trying to say?

And if staff can't see why Skakur's actions don't bother most people then that is a larger problem that needs to be dealt with by higher administration.

It would not surprise me in the least if this mural was put up (at least in part) to intentionally antagonize the administration, or to see how long it would stay up before anyone really noticed. If whoever approved this  honestly believed the PTB wouldn't have a problem with it, then they should be fired simply on the grounds of stupidity.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American

It would not surprise me in the least if this mural was put up (at least in part) to intentionally antagonize the administration, or to see how long it would stay up before anyone really noticed. If whoever approved this  honestly believed the PTB wouldn't have a problem with it, then they should be fired simply on the grounds of stupidity.

Chick's not just another pretty face around here.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Whoever put up the mural, is that the same group that was arrested for laying down in Wisconsin Ave and displayed the Black Lives Matter banner at the Villanova game?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
What does assata shakur have to do with gender and sexuality resources?

Don't know about you guys but I'm looking for a flight to Cuba to do me some assata hunting-would that $2 million be considered income or capital gains ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jay Bee

• All American
Ass for short, a'inal?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
No doubt McAdams intentionally blogged about this during commencement weekend despite knowing about for a while. He's going out guns a blazing.  Also wouldn't want to be the persons who decided to authorize this. Not sure who approved it but I'm guessing the MU leaders were unaware and are not happy
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:55:39 PM by Hold the Ellenson »
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

Eldon

• All American
MU says that the mural has already been taken down. They took it down last night. 

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:47:46 PM by Eldon »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
No doubt McAdams intentionally blogged about this during commencement weekend despite knowing about for a while. He's going out guns a blazing.  Also wouldn't want to be the persons who decided to authorize this. Not sure who approved it but I'm guessing the MU leaders were unaware and are not happy

How do you know McAdams knew about it for a while?  Did he blog about it before and then drop it?

If you don't have proof he knew about it before and said nothing until now, You seem to be implying he is some sort of Hippocrate for waiting until he this became news and piling on.  Yet at the same time you are rationalizing that an official Facebook post praising this mural was a bureaucratic is snafu.  How do we know that official MU did initially like and praise this mural until Sunday when the media jumped on it and then official MU quickly reversed itself ran over with a bucket of paint to covered it up and acted like they knew nothing about it?

Why is the intention assigned to McAdams nerfarious while the intention assigned to official MU innocent and rationalizing?  Are you letting personal political views get in the way here?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:33:06 PM by Heisenberg »

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
OMG!  Remind me again when basketball season starts......Please, please please.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

muwarrior69

• All American
According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assata_Shakur

Assata Olugbala Shakur (born JoAnne Deborah Byron on July 16, 1947[1]), whose married name was Chesimard,[2][3] is an African-American activist and member of the former Black Panther Party (BPP) and Black Liberation Army (BLA). Between 1971 and 1973, Shakur was accused of several crimes and was the subject of a multistate manhunt.[4][5]

In May 1973, Shakur was involved in a shootout on the New Jersey Turnpike, in which she was accused of killing New Jersey State Trooper Werner Foerster and grievously assaulting Trooper James Harper.[6] BLA member Zayd Malik Shakur was also killed in the incident, and Shakur was wounded.[6] Between 1973 and 1977, Shakur was indicted in relation to six other incidents—charged with murder, attempted murder, armed robbery, bank robbery, and kidnapping—resulting in three acquittals and three dismissals. In 1977, she was convicted of the first-degree murder of Foerster and of seven other felonies related to the shootout.[7]

Shakur was incarcerated in several prisons in the 1970s. She escaped from prison in 1979 and fled to Cuba in 1984 after living as a fugitive for a few years, and received political asylum. She has been living in Cuba ever since. Since May 2, 2005, the FBI has classified her as a domestic terrorist and offered a $1 million reward for assistance in her capture. On May 2, 2013, the FBI added her to the Most Wanted Terrorist List; the first woman to be listed.[8] On the same day, the New Jersey Attorney General offered to match the FBI reward, increasing the total reward for her capture to $2 million.[9]

I remember that day like it was yesterday as it occurred only 2 miles from my parents home. It took me more than 2 hours to get to work that morning as the turnpike was shut down for hours and all traffic was diverted to local roadways. It saddens me that my alma mater would celebrate a cold blooded murderer such as her. My charitable contributions will be going else where rather than support this shameful disdain for decency .

Tugg Speedman

• All American
OMG!  Remind me again when basketball season starts......Please, please please.

The "subpar" response when it is already on the superbar.

GGGG

• All American
I remember that day like it was yesterday as it occurred only 2 miles from my parents home. It took me more than 2 hours to get to work that morning as the turnpike was shut down for hours and all traffic was diverted to local roadways. It saddens me that my alma mater would celebrate a cold blooded murderer such as her. My charitable contributions will be going else where rather than support this shameful disdain for decency .

Dude calm down.  It was removed today.

Tugg Speedman

• All American

Dude calm down.  It was removed today.

Comrade:

Your defense of outgerous left-wing positions is maddening.  You were more worked up about McAdams than this.

GGGG

• All American
Comrade:

Your defense of outgerous left-wing positions is maddening.  You were more worked up about McAdams than this.

I never defended the mural. 

Your inability to read is maddening because you keep demeaning my Marquette degree.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
I think the moral was idiotic and probably an over site by anyone with a Marquette paycheck but Adams looks like a smug dbag on Fox News. He has that smug look of feigning outrage but yet excited to bash administration.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
I think the moral was idiotic and probably an over site by anyone with a Marquette paycheck but Adams looks like a smug dbag on Fox News. He has that smug look of feigning outrage but yet excited to bash administration.

Thanks for laying out your political views.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

tower912

• All American
Thanks for laying out your political views.

Because yours aren't laid out constantly. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course

fine, if you were just fired from a company for essentially doing the same thing, flipped, how would you look? happy?  payback is a beetch-heyna? if it weren't for mcadams shining the light of day on these "do-gooders", that mural would probably still be up. does anyone here believe marquette would have taken it upon themselves to find and remove this mural?  ...and the horizontally-challenged lady is not quite ready to sing just yet.  we need more john mcadams within the university to provide balance to these far left wing attempts to spread their "crap".  this radical group just showed their true colors and was originally formed to appease their beetching about the rescinding of the hiring of one professor o'brien.  so they form this group under the guise of sexual diversity, get this money as a pacifier and what do they do with it?  push the envelope?  the mural has nothing to do with gender blah blah. note the timing-gee, just when it appears to be in vogue to bash or even celebrate cop-abuse?  (check jayzee funding the release of baltimore protesters) the groups formation was just a militant foot in the door to proceed with more of their left wing agenda.  watch-any criticism on them, and you will see a barrage of accusations- you are anti-this and a denier-that, and fill-in-the-blank-phobic and the ever popular...drum roll please...RACE CARD. hello al sharton; he just obtained a new biness account.  they will be like that bad neighbor ya can't get rid of unlike a tenured conservative professor-that was easy.  just watch-they may stay under the radar for a while, but just when ya think all's calm-they're baaaaccck.  welcome to the university of marquette-berkeley/midwest(UM-B/MW)-this is not our fathers university anymore.   gotta go and find me another tax-write-off :-[ 
don't...don't don't don't don't

muwarrior69

• All American

I never defended the mural.  

Your inability to read is maddening because you keep demeaning my Marquette degree.

When a group fails to do thorough research on an individual before they "honor" someone perhaps that degree they "earned" should be demeaned. I wonder why they didn't honor Dr. King after all being male is a gender.

GGGG

• All American
When a group fails to do thorough research on an individual before they "honor" someone perhaps that degree they "earned" should be demeaned. I wonder why they didn't honor Dr. King after all being male is a gender.

Hey, you aren't going to get an argument out of me on that one.  I think this was a bad idea with very poor oversight from the beginning.  Marquette handled it very quickly once people with more sense figured it out.

muwarrior69

• All American

I wonder how long a Confederate Flag would remain hanging in a less traveled area of the student union. Two months before it came to the administrations attention? I think not.

GGGG

• All American
I wonder how long a Confederate Flag would remain hanging in a less traveled area of the student union. Two months before it came to the administrations attention? I think not.

You are probably correct.  A confederate flag is a much easier symbol to identify by sight.  If I saw a mural with a quote from someone whose name I didn't recognize, my first thought wouldn't be "I hope she's not a terrorist."

jsglow

• All American

I'd ask you to reconsider.  MU's senior leadership was as appalled as you were.  There's no doubt in my mind that this group chooses to push the envelope every chance they get.  I also think it's true that McAdams blogged for maximum impact and succeeded.  But the characterization that MU somehow celebrates Shakur's viewpoint is inaccurate.  Those who are trying to paint this administration as some far left leaning Berkeley-style team couldn't be further from the truth.  

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
I'd ask you to reconsider.  MU's senior leadership was as appalled as you were.  There's no doubt in my mind that this group chooses to push the envelope every chance they get.  I also think it's true that McAdams blogged for maximum impact and succeeded.  But the characterization that MU somehow celebrates Shakur's viewpoint is inaccurate.  Those who are trying to paint this administration as some far left leaning Berkeley-style team couldn't be further from the truth.  

I agree with this assessment -- if fault lives after the news cycle ends then fair ball to make the decision you see fit.  However, if you make a decision to pull support based on a few days worth of articles, you are doing a disservice to our University.  Personally my path through Marquette called for a higher burden of proof than MU Scoop and someone who's self interest is to fan flames.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:39:14 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »