[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2015 MLB Season Thread  (Read 97954 times)

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
Re: 2015 MLB Season Thread
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2015, 01:28:49 PM »
Watch out for the Red Sox this year. Our starting pitching is our big question mark at this point but I think we will sign an ace(Hammels?) by mid season. I think we definitely have the best offense at this point. The Red Sox are definitely my World Series pick at this point.

My money is on the Nats, if that rotation can stay healthy (big if, Strasburg is made of glass) that team could be unstoppable in the playoffs.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 01:30:33 PM by JuniorCardigan »

MU82

• All American
Re: 2015-16 MLB Season Thread
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2015, 01:40:11 PM »
Yes. Renovations to that ancient old relic compared to what a brand new stadium in another location, where they're not constrained by a residential neighborhood, it would be a night and day difference in revenue potential.  They could do up a new Wrigleyville that they would print money with.  

Step out of the box with your thinking and the aura and cuteness of a ballpark in a residential neighborhood.  Yeah, it's quaint, but revenue potential is limited compared to what you could do in a location without any constraints.

You can believe this all you want, Hutch, but it's simply not going to happen, probably not in our lifetimes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2015, 01:41:33 PM »
Anybody else get a kick out of Maddon pulling a La Russa and batting his pitcher 8th. It's a classic case of "I'm always the smartest guy in the room, and to hell with the fact that thousands of managers before me didn't do this." Even La Russa realized it was stupid.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2015, 01:55:43 PM »

Does anyone go to dine at Miller Park in February?
The cost of opening up a stadium during the offseason, I suspect, would far outweigh whatever revenue a restaurant there would generate.

Absolutely, we probably go to the TGI Fridays there once a month in the winter months when we don't have to check the schedule to see if its a gameday or not

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2015, 02:06:53 PM »
What have the White Sox done to improve?

Subtractions
Paul Konerko (retired)
Dayan Viciedo
Ronald Beisario
Marcus Semien
Josh Phegley
Moises Sierra
Jordan Danks
Felipe Paulino

Additions
Jeff Samardzija
David Robertson
Melky Cabrera
Adam LaRoche
Zach Duke
Dan Jennings
Emilio Bonifacio
Geovany Soto
Gordon Beckham
J.B. Shuck
Michah Johnson
Kyle Drabek
Matt Albers

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2015, 02:07:31 PM »
Anybody else get a kick out of Maddon pulling a La Russa and batting his pitcher 8th. It's a classic case of "I'm always the smartest guy in the room, and to hell with the fact that thousands of managers before me didn't do this." Even La Russa realized it was stupid.

I despise the Cardinals (and LaRussa), but when it comes to baseball, I'll willingly admit that there's a pretty damn good chance that LaRussa is going to be the smartest guy in whatever room he's in.

There are situations and lineups where it is perfectly logical - on paper - to bat the pitcher 8th.  The problem is not the statistics, but getting your players to execute and approach a situation the same way that they otherwise would... the "fact" that the pitcher should always bat 9th is ingrained into them as well, so when the decision goes bad, your players can lose faith, and that leads to other problems, which is why only guys with the stature of LaRussa, and Maddon should attempt it, not Ned Yost.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »
Subtractions
Paul Konerko (retired)
Dayan Viciedo
Ronald Beisario
Marcus Semien
Josh Phegley
Moises Sierra
Jordan Danks
Felipe Paulino

Additions
Jeff Samardzija
David Robertson
Melky Cabrera
Adam LaRoche
Zach Duke
Dan Jennings
Emilio Bonifacio
Geovany Soto
Gordon Beckham
J.B. Shuck
Michah Johnson
Kyle Drabek
Matt Albers

It should be a really interesting year for the Sox, but I'm still surprised by the PECOTA outlook and think they should have no problem getting 78 wins.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2015, 02:26:18 PM »
It should be a really interesting year for the Sox, but I'm still surprised by the PECOTA outlook and think they should have no problem getting 78 wins.

The only person I'm upset about losing was Semien. Other than that, good riddance.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2015, 02:30:25 PM »
There are situations and lineups where it is perfectly logical - on paper - to bat the pitcher 8th.  The problem is not the statistics, but getting your players to execute and approach a situation the same way that they otherwise would... the "fact" that the pitcher should always bat 9th is ingrained into them as well, so when the decision goes bad, your players can lose faith, and that leads to other problems, which is why only guys with the stature of LaRussa, and Maddon should attempt it, not Ned Yost.

Maddon seems like a good guy who'd be fun to grab a beer with, but he has a managerial reputation as someone who tinkers with things for the sake of tinkering with things.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2015, 02:55:03 PM »
I despise the Cardinals (and LaRussa), but when it comes to baseball, I'll willingly admit that there's a pretty damn good chance that LaRussa is going to be the smartest guy in whatever room he's in.

Lester was on a pitch count last night, and was not going to last late.  Knowing he would double-switch early, Maddon wanted to have that bat off the bench not be in the 9th slot.  Unusual, but at least there was a thought-process.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2015, 03:37:03 PM »
Brauny out with injury already?  Get back on the 'roids kid, you'll actually be able to hit the ball again, and stay on the field.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2015, 03:43:22 PM »
Again, you're missing the point.
The Cubs aren't financially successful and able "to print money" because they're the Cubs. They're able to do so because of Wrigley Field.
You're thinking that they can demolish their primary asset, move 20 miles away and attract the same - or more - revenue just doesn't make sense.

They are able to print money due to their television contract.  Not Wrigley Field.  Wrigley Field is a nice draw and all, and I think renovating it was the right thing to do for the organization, but most baseball revenue is built on local television.

The fact they are the most popular team in the third largest media market in the country is how they are making their money these days.  If they were located up in Northbrook, their television revenue would be just as valuable.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2015, 03:54:33 PM »
Only organizations and fan bases as stupid as the Cubs think it's a good idea to preserve a ballpark that has been about losing, and losing big generally, for over a century.  

Yes, Wrigley Field has some built in charm with the bricks and ivy, but they could have easily recreated that in a brand new stadium that would have far greater revenue potential than a ballpark stuck in an old Chicago neighborhood with no room to expand.

You couldn't be more wrong here. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2015, 04:01:14 PM »
The issue that Ricketts and Kenney fail to understand is that by continuously making changes to Wrigley Field to "bring it into the modern era," they're actually just destroying the appeal of the franchise's primary money-making asset. If Theo's plan doesn't work out (and I have some serious doubts), in 5 years the Cubs are going to be winning 75 games in a half-empty stadium that's basically the same as everyone else's.

Wrigley obviously needs some renovations but it's the concourses and the Cubs' clubhouse that should be the priority. The bleachers that they just tore down were built in 2007! That's 3 years AFTER parts of the concourse were crumbling and nets needed to be installed.  

The clubhouse work has already started and it will be ready prior to the 2016 season.  It will be the 2nd largest clubhouse in the league and another selling point for the franchise moving forward.  

Anyone ripping this renovation hasn't been pay attention, is an idiot, or both.  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 04:04:38 PM by Vander Blue Man Group »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2015, 04:15:33 PM »
I agreed with your point of it being their primary asset!!!  I never remotely stated they print money, generate revenue, etc. simply by being the Cubs.  

And you're missing my point, why not make the primary asset WINNING, and the rest will take care of itself.  They could build the Taj Mahal of ballparks in the meantime that could generate year round revenue in the form of restaurants and other attractions that are within the new stadium itself, something even a renovated Wrigley won't do.

And everyone is missing my point, so I might as well spell it out, why in the world do you want to hold on to a stadium that has just been years upon years upon years upon years of choking and losing?  But then again, I'm only an outsider, I can't think as stupid as the Cubs do.

The primary asset will be winning.  This is a new ownership group and a new front office.  The last 100+ years don't matter.  The Cubs have young impact talent on the team and in the high levels of the minors along with a ton of payroll flexibility moving forward.  A complete tear down of the team was absolutely necessary and renovating Wrigley makes complete sense.  Moving to the suburbs was never seriously considered as it's a moronic idea. 

As much, as a I hate the Cardinals they have all the right in the world to talk sh*t to Cubs fans as their consistent success is incredibly impressive, as much as I hate to admit it.  However, a smug Brewers fan calling Cubs fans stupid?  Good stuff.  I'm looking forward to the game on May 9th and the sea of blue that will be up at Wrigley North to watch the Cubs whip the Brew Crew's collective asses. 

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2015, 04:34:17 PM »
I'm a Cubs fan and for 34 years have been essentially embarrassed of it, but I can't find much fault in the way they are doing things now.  They are set up to be able to compete regularly and are making good decisions about the ball park.  If you think tearing down Wrigley is a good business decision then you very, very wrong.
This year could still be rough, but in a year or two they're going to at least be making noise regularly in the NL.  MLB playoffs are a crapshoot anyway, so you just need to get there and see what happens.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2015, 04:39:21 PM »
The primary asset will be winning.  This is a new ownership group and a new front office.  The last 100+ years don't matter.  The Cubs have young impact talent on the team and in the high levels of the minors along with a ton of payroll flexibility moving forward.  A complete tear down of the team was absolutely necessary and renovating Wrigley makes complete sense.  Moving to the suburbs was never seriously considered as it's a moronic idea. 

As much, as a I hate the Cardinals they have all the right in the world to talk sh*t to Cubs fans as their consistent success is incredibly impressive, as much as I hate to admit it.  However, a smug Brewers fan calling Cubs fans stupid?  Good stuff.  I'm looking forward to the game on May 9th and the sea of blue that will be up at Wrigley North to watch the Cubs whip the Brew Crew's collective asses. 

I'm a Brewer fan, and yeah the new ownership has been great, but really the franchise hasn't really accomplished anything.  If they trot out the '82 team any more, I'm gonna puke.  Really I only want to see Robin Yount.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2015, 04:44:11 PM »

I'm a Brewer fan, and yeah the new ownership has been great, but really the franchise hasn't really accomplished anything.  If they trot out the '82 team any more, I'm gonna puke.  Really I only want to see Robin Yount.

I was referring to the Cubs ownership, in case I wasn't clear.  The Brewers have had a nice run and I've got no issues with the team but I think they might be hard pressed to compete with the Cards, Pirates and Cubs over the next 5+ years.  And I say that realizing the Cubs haven't accomplished a thing and their rebuild could go terribly wrong (although I will be stunned if that happens). 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2015, 04:48:22 PM »
I'm a Cubs fan and for 34 years have been essentially embarrassed of it, but I can't find much fault in the way they are doing things now.  They are set up to be able to compete regularly and are making good decisions about the ball park.  If you think tearing down Wrigley is a good business decision then you very, very wrong.
This year could still be rough, but in a year or two they're going to at least be making noise regularly in the NL.  MLB playoffs are a crapshoot anyway, so you just need to get there and see what happens.

+1.  That's why the comments about the historical ineptitude of the franchise annoy me.  All that past failure has nothing to do with what the team and franchise might accomplish moving forward.

I'll be the first to admit the over-exuberance surrounding this year's team is over the top but the fan base has been patient and deserves to be excited.  And every fan base has it's share of idiots, as well.   

Personally, if they are in the wild-card race through September I'll be happy.  2016 and moving forward is when I am expecting big things.

Like you said, make the playoffs 7-8 times every decade and good things are going to eventually happen.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2015, 05:07:18 PM »
Lester was on a pitch count last night, and was not going to last late.  Knowing he would double-switch early, Maddon wanted to have that bat off the bench not be in the 9th slot.  Unusual, but at least there was a thought-process.

Tony always had a thought process, too. He definitely was a fine manager, as is Maddon.

This tends to fall under the "reinvent the wheel" category.

Not only have no other managers done it for 100+ years, but after La Russa gave it a good try, he realized it had poor long-term results.

I'll be curious to see if this was a one-game thing for Maddon for the reasons you explained or if he is planning to reinvent the wheel on a longer-term basis.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2015, 05:12:25 PM »
I would actually argue that the Cubs could have a greater attendance with a stadium in the suburbs.

For most suburbanites, it is much easier to watch the Cubs play at Miller Park than Wrigley Field.   I know several Cubs fans who haven't gone to Wrigley in years but have seen them play many times at Miller Park.  I think the suburbanite crowd you could draw would outnumber the tourist crowd at Wrigley.  

That being said, I was there last night with PTM and the new video board blended in nicely.  The only thing it blocked was the old Budwiser building so it didn't take away from the feel of Wrigley.   You could definitely tell that they were using temporary speakers which weren't the highest quality but that will all get taken care of as the renovations continue with permanent speakers.  

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2015, 05:16:15 PM »
I agreed with your point of it being their primary asset!!!  I never remotely stated they print money, generate revenue, etc. simply by being the Cubs.  

And you're missing my point, why not make the primary asset WINNING, and the rest will take care of itself.  They could build the Taj Mahal of ballparks in the meantime that could generate year round revenue in the form of restaurants and other attractions that are within the new stadium itself, something even a renovated Wrigley won't do.

And everyone is missing my point, so I might as well spell it out, why in the world do you want to hold on to a stadium that has just been years upon years upon years upon years of choking and losing?  But then again, I'm only an outsider, I can't think as stupid as the Cubs do.

Do you actually believe the stuff you are writing, or are you just trying to rile up the Cubs fans?

If it's the former, you're not very bright. If it's the latter, well, whatever.... carry on.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2015, 05:19:23 PM »
Cubs have a very bright future. This World Series talk is 2 years early, if you ask me.

The majority of Cubs fans are well aware they aren't going to the World Series and likely the playoffs this year.  That is all media hype to sell papers and get clicks.  

As for the betting in Vegas, I'm sure most people do it to have a betting stub as a momento should they actually win.  No different than when people bet on a horse who is going for the triple crown.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2015, 05:41:14 PM »
Also as PTM stated, the moment of silence for Tavares was completely unnecessary.  

Back in 2002, when the Cubs canceled the game and had a moment of silence for Darryl Kile at the next game, that was the right thing to do.  That was an unexpected heart attack.

Oscar Tavares killed himself and his girlfriend driving 6 times over the legal limit.  That shouldn't get you a moment of silence.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2015, 05:49:17 PM »

They are able to print money due to their television contract.  Not Wrigley Field.  Wrigley Field is a nice draw and all, and I think renovating it was the right thing to do for the organization, but most baseball revenue is built on local television.

The fact they are the most popular team in the third largest media market in the country is how they are making their money these days.  If they were located up in Northbrook, their television revenue would be just as valuable.

Nope.
Why are the Cubs popular and able to negotiate large television contracts? Why do people tune in? Why do people feel a strong attachment to the team?
It's not the history of winning. It's not tradition. It's not one of those things that's always been  ... ever go to Wrigley in the 70s? Not exactly a packed house. Heck, in the mid 70s (when they were no worse than they've been for much of this decade), they averaged about 12,000 a game.

Here's why: John McDonough built a wildly successful brand around Harry Caray and Wrigley Field. They made being a Cubs fan was fun and cool. And a huge part of that was Wrigley and the party scene created there, where having a good time wasn't dependent on the result of the game. The bleachers, the scoreboard, the 7th inning stretch, Murphy's pre-game, Cubby Bear post-game, the WGN cameras lingering a little too long on the attractive female fans in tank tops .... that's what it was all about.
None of these factors could be replicated in a modern ballpark in Northbrook.
The Cubs' popularity over the past 3+ decades has been built around the Wrigley experience.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:51:06 PM by Pakuni »

feedback