Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Geno Says Men's College Basketball Is Unwatchable (No One Can Score!)  (Read 18754 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
I'm having a hard time disagreeing with his comments.

Geno Auriemma decries men's game

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12599734/geno-auriemma-uconn-huskies-says-quality-men-college-basketball-joke

UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma has no love for the current state of men's college basketball.

Auriemma, speaking on a conference call with national media before taking his Huskies team to Tampa in its quest for a record 10th national championship, called the men's game "a joke."

"The bottom line is, nobody can score. ... College men's basketball is so far behind the times it's unbelievable."
    Geno Auriemma

"It really is," Auriemma said. "I don't coach it. I don't play it, so I don't understand the ins and outs of it. But as a spectator watching it, it's a joke. There's only like 10 teams, you know, out of 25, that actually play the kind of game of basketball that you'd like to watch."

Auriemma said he is speaking as a fan. And he doesn't like what he sees.

"The bottom line is, nobody can score," Auriemma said. "And they'll tell you that it's because of great defense, great scouting, a lot of teamwork. Nonsense, nonsense. College men's basketball is so far behind the times it's unbelievable."

In particular, Auriemma -- who has the highest winning percentage in the history of women's basketball and has led his team to eight straight Final Fours -- criticized the poor quality of offensive play.

"Every other major sport in the world has taken steps to help people be better on the offensive end of the floor," Auriemma said, citing rules changes that have been made in sports such as Major League Baseball and the NFL.

"This is entertainment we are talking about," Auriemma said. "People have to decide, do I want to spend 25 bucks, 30 bucks to go see a college scrum where everybody misses six of every 10 shots they take or do I want to go to a movie?

"We are fighting for the entertainment dollar here, and I have to tell you, it's not entertainment from a fan's standpoint."

Auriemma later expounded on his displeasure at the men's game in an ESPN Radio interview on Wednesday.

"Hey look, the women's game is less watchable, don't get me wrong," Auriemma said on "SVP & Russillo." "But what I'm saying is the ability of kids to make shots like they used to back in the day...is gone."

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
Re: Geno Says Men's College Basketball Is Unwatchable (No One Can Score!)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 08:11:40 AM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:11:52 AM »
I'm having a hard time disagreeing with his comments.

Geno Auriemma decries men's game

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12599734/geno-auriemma-uconn-huskies-says-quality-men-college-basketball-joke

UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma has no love for the current state of men's college basketball.

Auriemma, speaking on a conference call with national media before taking his Huskies team to Tampa in its quest for a record 10th national championship, called the men's game "a joke."

"The bottom line is, nobody can score. ... College men's basketball is so far behind the times it's unbelievable."
    Geno Auriemma

"It really is," Auriemma said. "I don't coach it. I don't play it, so I don't understand the ins and outs of it. But as a spectator watching it, it's a joke. There's only like 10 teams, you know, out of 25, that actually play the kind of game of basketball that you'd like to watch."

Auriemma said he is speaking as a fan. And he doesn't like what he sees.

"The bottom line is, nobody can score," Auriemma said. "And they'll tell you that it's because of great defense, great scouting, a lot of teamwork. Nonsense, nonsense. College men's basketball is so far behind the times it's unbelievable."

In particular, Auriemma -- who has the highest winning percentage in the history of women's basketball and has led his team to eight straight Final Fours -- criticized the poor quality of offensive play.

"Every other major sport in the world has taken steps to help people be better on the offensive end of the floor," Auriemma said, citing rules changes that have been made in sports such as Major League Baseball and the NFL.

"This is entertainment we are talking about," Auriemma said. "People have to decide, do I want to spend 25 bucks, 30 bucks to go see a college scrum where everybody misses six of every 10 shots they take or do I want to go to a movie?

"We are fighting for the entertainment dollar here, and I have to tell you, it's not entertainment from a fan's standpoint."

Auriemma later expounded on his displeasure at the men's game in an ESPN Radio interview on Wednesday.

"Hey look, the women's game is less watchable, don't get me wrong," Auriemma said on "SVP & Russillo." "But what I'm saying is the ability of kids to make shots like they used to back in the day...is gone."

In hockey, everyone misses about nine out of every ten shots. I don't recall hearing any complaints about that.

I think it is much more entertaining when there is a modicum of suspense about whether a shot is going to go in or not.  I would much rather watch a college basketball game where the final score is 59-55 than an NBA game where the final score is 92-76.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 08:25:06 AM »
In hockey, everyone misses about nine out of every ten shots. I don't recall hearing any complaints about that.

I think it is much more entertaining when there is a modicum of suspense about whether a shot is going to go in or not.  I would much rather watch a college basketball game where the final score is 59-55 than an NBA game where the final score is 92-76.

Yep, and in baseball, a guy who only gets a hit 3 out of 10 times is considered a good hitter...and yet he cites baseball as a game that has gotten more "exciting."

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 08:25:24 AM »
There is ... a lot ... that makes college basketball unwatchable. But I'm not sure scoring percentage is top five.

Clean up the block/charge call stuff... and, I haven't watched much CBB the last few years (no cable), but are players still allowed to jump into a defender and it's a foul on the defender? Just brutal to watch.

Edit: I watch zero NBA. Does this happen in the NBA? I can't imagine people would tolerate it or there would be zero ratings.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 08:44:08 AM »
They need to eliminate the charge call for secondary defenders, and clean up the bumping/grabbing off the ball. Might suck in the short term, but it will help open the game up.

I'd also like a 30 second shot clock, but I don't think the effect there would be huge.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 08:50:15 AM »
He's speaking as a fan...and he's 100% correct.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 08:55:52 AM »
Why did I enjoy watching Gonzaga this year - because they can shoot.  Butler a couple years ago - they could shoot.  Wisconsin - they can shoot. 

This whole "offense" with 4 guys standing outside the 3 point line waiting for a pass so they can try to drive to the basket for a dunk is boring. 

In fact, I'm really enjoying watching Euroleague... they can shoot!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 09:05:50 AM »
Why did I enjoy watching Gonzaga this year - because they can shoot.  Butler a couple years ago - they could shoot.  Wisconsin - they can shoot. 

This whole "offense" with 4 guys standing outside the 3 point line waiting for a pass so they can try to drive to the basket for a dunk is boring. 

In fact, I'm really enjoying watching Euroleague... they can shoot!

+1

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 09:24:07 AM »

+1

The game is so disjointed with the constant stoppages in play.  

I would:
1. Shorten the shot clock - ideally to 27 or 28 seconds

2. Go to the NBA model of TV timeouts where it is assigned to a team and can get assigned early if a team uses a timeout.

3. Widen the lane and charge arc

4. Set a hard limit for the amount of time a replay can take.  Waiting 5 minutes of real time for an out-of-bounds call 2:30 seconds into the game is so unnecessary

The NBA faced the same problems about 10-12 years ago and suffered through some really bad seasons as players and officials adjusted, however they came out much better for it. There is a lot of very good/entertaining basketball being played in the NBA now.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:27:24 AM by Marquette_g »

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 09:40:28 AM »
I disagree with him, he's way off. It has way more to do with coaching. All the analytics, efficiencies, etc. make college coaches feel like they need to control the game. The shot clock is also a major problem. I watched an NIT game with a 30 second shot clock, it's a great to watch. Shorter shot clock forces coaches to encourage pushing the ball up the court, if you walk it up the court there is only 22-24 seconds to get a good shot off. Not enough quality 1-1 isolation players in college to bail possessions out.

There are 32 teams in NCAA DI basketball that average over 110 points per 100 possessions, the clippers lead the NBA with 109.9. Sorry Geno, you're wrong. What's wrong is teams like UW being #1 in efficiency but 344th in tempo. That's hard to watch, they just pass the ball around for 15 seconds doing mostly nothing, in effort to wear the other team down. It's effective, but boring.

Just do what I do, put some money on the game. You can make the CBI tourney interesting.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:50:48 AM by esotericmindguy »

brandx

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 09:47:56 AM »

+1000

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 09:53:47 AM »
It's totally exciting to watch his team win every game by 40 points.  I'd rather watch inept parity than mass disparity.

LON

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 09:56:34 AM »
It's totally exciting to watch his team win every game by 40 points.  I'd rather watch inept parity than mass disparity.

Right.  This is rich coming from the guy that has to compete against, what, 5 other programs each year?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 09:57:51 AM »
I mentioned it in the Bilas thread yeaterday, but I think strength and athleticism are overtaking skill in the college game.  A guy like Jake Thomas was actually a skillful player who could make shots 25 years ago.  But now, he just couldn't get free from the athletes guarding him.  

I also think the 3 point line is proving counterproductive.  The mid-range game is disappearing.  You hear all the time that long two point jumpers are the worst shot in basketball because you move back a little and its a three.  But before the 3 point line guys learned to shoot from every distance, because that was the best way to be a good scorer (and a guy who is liable to pull up and shoot from any distance is the most difficult guy to guard).

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »
Yep, and in baseball, a guy who only gets a hit 3 out of 10 times is considered a good hitter...and yet he cites baseball as a game that has gotten more "exciting."

I saw 2 no hitters and one perfect game and have to say they were some of the most exciting games I attended. Great defense can be just as exciting as great offense. Lawrence Taylor was the star of the Giants. Even our own Jimmy Mac was better known for his defense. To take defense out of the game is just hog wash.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 10:01:49 AM »

You are right about that and he agrees.  Read his last comment,  "Hey look, the women's game is less watchable, don't get me wrong," Auriemma said on "SVP & Russillo." "But what I'm saying is the ability of kids to make shots like they used to back in the day...is gone."

He's right and the UConn women are unwatchable.  No fault of their own, they are head and shoulders above everyone else.  People around here actually look at the regional final against Dayton as a tight game, but they were ahead double digits the last 15 minutes and won by 21.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 10:02:22 AM »
I saw 2 no hitters and one perfect game and have to say they were some of the most exciting games I attended. Great defense can be just as exciting as great offense. Lawrence Taylor was the star of the Giants. Even our own Jimmy Mac was better known for his defense. To take defense out of the game is just hog wash.

You lost me at baseball.

Defense can be exciting - teams like VCU and Arkansas are fun to watch when they are applying a lot of pressure.  However, it would be just as fun to watch them do that for 28 seconds as it is for 35 seconds.  

The game is too slow, with way too many breaks in the action.  It is possible to go from one TV timeout to the next with only 8 possessions.  

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 10:04:41 AM »

Great defense is only exciting when it is uncommon and difficult, like no-hitters and Lawrence Taylor.  If every baseball game was 1-0 all the games would be tight but I don't think many people would like it.  I would submit the defense regularly dominating any sport is to that sport's detriment.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 10:05:50 AM »
I haven't watched much CBB the last few years (no cable), but are players still allowed to jump into a defender and it's a foul on the defender? Just brutal to watch.

I hate this rule.  They've essentially made it a foul to "bite" on a pump fake.  Shooter fakes; defender jumps; shooter leans into the area where science dictates the defender must come down; foul.  I hate that call.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 10:22:20 AM »
Meanwhile, the unwatchable product Geno talks about has hit record setting tv numbers.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/03/30/2015-ncaa-tournament-delivers-record-setting-ratings-through-elite-eight/381386/

Unwatchable. A Joke.   Exploited.  Progress.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 10:46:56 AM »
I mentioned it in the Bilas thread yeaterday, but I think strength and athleticism are overtaking skill in the college game.  A guy like Jake Thomas was actually a skillful player who could make shots 25 years ago.  But now, he just couldn't get free from the athletes guarding him.  

I also think the 3 point line is proving counterproductive.  The mid-range game is disappearing.  You hear all the time that long two point jumpers are the worst shot in basketball because you move back a little and its a three.  But before the 3 point line guys learned to shoot from every distance, because that was the best way to be a good scorer (and a guy who is liable to pull up and shoot from any distance is the most difficult guy to guard).

I agree and wish Geno had spoken to the decline in individual core skills and teamwork among too many D-I players and teams. Better teamwork is definitely one thing that women's b-ball, international leagues and even D-III programs have over lots of men's teams.

I don't think shortening the shot clock will help shooting percentages, even if overall scoring goes up a bit.

In any case, I don't think I'd call men's college basketball "unwatchable" though it is certainly not the draw that it used to be.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 11:20:32 AM »
I disagree with him, he's way off. It has way more to do with coaching. All the analytics, efficiencies, etc. make college coaches feel like they need to control the game. The shot clock is also a major problem. I watched an NIT game with a 30 second shot clock, it's a great to watch. Shorter shot clock forces coaches to encourage pushing the ball up the court, if you walk it up the court there is only 22-24 seconds to get a good shot off. Not enough quality 1-1 isolation players in college to bail possessions out.

There are 32 teams in NCAA DI basketball that average over 110 points per 100 possessions, the clippers lead the NBA with 109.9. Sorry Geno, you're wrong. What's wrong is teams like UW being #1 in efficiency but 344th in tempo. That's hard to watch, they just pass the ball around for 15 seconds doing mostly nothing, in effort to wear the other team down. It's effective, but boring.

Just do what I do, put some money on the game. You can make the CBI tourney interesting.

Loyola just won this. Should we swap them for DePaul?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 12:16:49 PM »
Meanwhile, the unwatchable product Geno talks about has hit record setting tv numbers.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/03/30/2015-ncaa-tournament-delivers-record-setting-ratings-through-elite-eight/381386/

Unwatchable. A Joke.   Exploited.  Progress.

Then apparently I'm in the minority, because I think today's college hoops is crap.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 12:20:36 PM »
Geno, I'm having a hard time watching a women's college basketball game much less a women's TITLE game.
SS Marquette