[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Geno Says Men's College Basketball Is Unwatchable (No One Can Score!)  (Read 18752 times)

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
Re: Geno Says Men's College Basketball Is Unwatchable (No One Can Score!)
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 12:36:28 PM »
Then apparently I'm in the minority, because I think today's college hoops is crap.

+1

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 12:45:10 PM »

2. Go to the NBA model of TV timeouts where it is assigned to a team and can get assigned early if a team uses a timeout.

I hate watching a game where a team calls a timeout just after the 16/12/8/4 minute mark.  You know you're about to watch a few minutes of commercials, have whatever terrible play the coach drew up blow up in his face leading to a dead ball and another few minutes of commercials.  Terrible.

eg021

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 01:06:55 PM »
I think it's most boring because of the ticky tack fouls. The rule changes made to help the offense by no bodying in the post, and no hand checking on the perimeter has made it boring for me. It has only worked to slow the game down and not produce more offense.

I'm OK if the game is low scoring when both teams are getting after it defensively, blocking shots, and there is good up and down rhythm to the game. But holding the basketball for 20 seconds at a minimum before trying to score is BS if you ask me.

What we have now is every basketball move generates a whistle on minimal contact or flops. Then we sit through a long timeout.
If the refs let the kids play more and we get more flow to the games, we'd all be happier I think.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 01:07:34 PM »
Well, those commercial breaks aren't going anywhere. So either accept it or watch something else.

Speaking for me, I'm watching something else.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 01:10:26 PM »
I think it's most boring because of the ticky tack fouls. The rule changes made to help the offense by no bodying in the post, and no hand checking on the perimeter has made it boring for me. It has only worked to slow the game down and not produce more offense.

Except they don't call it consistently, and the freedom of movement in the halfcourt suffers.

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2015, 01:17:49 PM »
Well, those commercial breaks aren't going anywhere. So either accept it or watch something else.

Speaking for me, I'm watching something else.

I know the TV breaks aren't going anywhere, but you could eliminate a couple of 20 second timeouts and then open up the timing of the game a little.  That way if a TO is called at 16:22, you don't need another break at 16:00.

I too am watching something else.  The NBA has become enjoyable viewing in my opinion.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2015, 01:21:06 PM »
Then apparently I'm in the minority, because I think today's college hoops is crap.
If you think college hoops is crap, why are you on a college hoops board?

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2015, 01:23:45 PM »
If you think college hoops is crap, why are you on a college hoops board?

Because I still buy season tickets to MU in support of my alma mater and hold out hope that it can get back to being entertaining.

College Hoops is hard to watch, but going to a game beats watching Big Bang Theory re-runs on a Tuesday night in Jan. 

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2015, 01:25:35 PM »
I know the TV breaks aren't going anywhere, but you could eliminate a couple of 20 second timeouts and then open up the timing of the game a little.  That way if a TO is called at 16:22, you don't need another break at 16:00.

I too am watching something else.  The NBA has become enjoyable viewing in my opinion.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled. My home team is the Golden State Warriors. You won't find a more entertaining team to watch. Curry by himself is worth the price of admission.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2015, 01:30:23 PM »
Perhaps I'm just spoiled. My home team is the Golden State Warriors. You won't find a more entertaining team to watch. Curry by himself is worth the price of admission.
That's right, you said that on the other board. Golden State is a whole different style than college basketball.

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2015, 01:33:02 PM »

I love the NBA.  Even though the Bucks have spiraled, I still find the games more enjoyable than all but the very best college basketball games.

Curry is a joy to watch.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2015, 02:33:34 PM »

I despise the NBA, but the Warriors and Hawks are worth watching.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2015, 02:47:55 PM »
I despise the NBA, but the Warriors and Hawks are worth watching.

The NBA has changed the past few years and becoming more European/team oriented. Never understood the complaint NBA players can't shoot/don't play d. Watching college players are far inferior in both categories but the bad defense allowed easy 3 point shots at a shorter line. There is a reason college stars don't always translate to the NBA.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 03:19:30 PM »
The NBA has changed the past few years and becoming more European/team oriented. Never understood the complaint NBA players can't shoot/don't play d. Watching college players are far inferior in both categories but the bad defense allowed easy 3 point shots at a shorter line. There is a reason college stars don't always translate to the NBA.

It's as much about my disdain for some of the entitled pricks in the NBA as anything else.  There are pricks in college, too, but they aren't around very long

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 03:36:41 PM »
I disagree. Besides the NFL, college basketball is my favorite sport to watch. Also if you think teams can't score now, what do you think shortening the shot clock would do? I hate the shorter shot clock idea.

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 03:38:11 PM »
I disagree. Besides the NFL, college basketball is my favorite sport to watch. Also if you think teams can't score now, what do you think shortening the shot clock would do? I hate the shorter shot clock idea.

...force the tempo and add possessions.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2015, 03:49:16 PM »
It's as much about my disdain for some of the entitled pricks in the NBA as anything else.  There are pricks in college, too, but they aren't around very long

Hate to break it to you, but the NBA has hardly cornered the market on "pricks." Go hang out with some MLB or NFL players sometime.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »
I love reading the basketball purist rip on todays sports. I bet you watched when Marquette won in 1977, teams combined to shoot 47% and there wasn't a 3 point line. Go ahead and watch the first 10 minutes of this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEEXPiXBmEg . If you think that's better basketball you're kidding yourself. And these were the two best coaches at the time. But hey, there weren't any commercial breaks! How dare networks make money.

The game has evolved, players are faster, bigger, stronger and more skilled.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 04:06:06 PM »
...force the tempo and add possessions.

People here agree with Geno that college hoops is unwatchable in part because of sloppy offense and low shooting percentages...so rushing the players into quicker shots is going to help fix that "problem"?  Hurrying players into more rushed shots will make it more sloppy, not less.

The game is not broken.  If it was, we wouldn't all be here day after day talking about it.

I think hockey is boring...so I DON'T hang out on hockey message boards.

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2015, 04:12:56 PM »
I love reading the basketball purist rip on todays sports. I bet you watched when Marquette won in 1977, teams combined to shoot 47% and there wasn't a 3 point line. Go ahead and watch the first 10 minutes of this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEEXPiXBmEg . If you think that's better basketball you're kidding yourself. And these were the two best coaches at the time. But hey, there weren't any commercial breaks! How dare networks make money.

The game has evolved, players are faster, bigger, stronger and more skilled.

I completely agree, that is why the game needs some tweaking to account for these bigger, strong, and more skilled players.

I'm also not suggesting to do away with commercial breaks (that would be pretty naive) - I'm suggesting changing them from being set at every four minutes to a little more flexible timing based on when coaches use timeouts, so you don't get back to back breaks with 20 second of action in between.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2015, 04:22:22 PM »
Unwatchable with record TV ratings....  Something doesn't add up here.

I think many college hoops fans enjoy the sport because it is NOT like the NBA, with an almost complete lack of defense and lots of "exciting" offense.  I know I am one of those people.  I think the sport needs to think long and hard about any changes that would make it NBA-lite.

Oh...this year, for the first time, the first weekend of March Madness surpassed the Super Bowl as the biggest sports weekend of the year in Vegas.   

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »
Unwatchable with record TV ratings....  Something doesn't add up here.

I think many college hoops fans enjoy the sport because it is NOT like the NBA, with an almost complete lack of defense and lots of "exciting" offense.  I know I am one of those people.  I think the sport needs to think long and hard about any changes that would make it NBA-lite.

Oh...this year, for the first time, the first weekend of March Madness surpassed the Super Bowl as the biggest sports weekend of the year in Vegas.  

Saying they don't play defense in the NBA is relic of about 15 years ago.

I think just about everyone agrees that the tournament itself is incredible (that is why people are in Vegas), but that is because of the drama of one and done.  That doesn't mean all those people are there because of the quality of the product on the court. 

The Kentucky Derby had a record handle last year as well, that doesn't mean horse racing is about to explode in popularity. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:26:47 PM by Marquette_g »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2015, 05:27:12 PM »
We allowed plenty of points this year and I hated every minute if it.   Aurema should try making the switch and see if he can handle some competition.

CBB is fine.  Only changes I would like to see is push back the 3 line and go to a 25 shot clock.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2015, 05:39:20 PM »
Unwatchable with record TV ratings....  Something doesn't add up here.

I think many college hoops fans enjoy the sport because it is NOT like the NBA, with an almost complete lack of defense and lots of "exciting" offense.  I know I am one of those people.  I think the sport needs to think long and hard about any changes that would make it NBA-lite.

Record ratings? Go ask ESPN or FS1 if that's true. Their ratings have been horrid all year. How many games have drawn a .01 or .00 rating? Also, take a look at arenas across the country. Plenty of good seats available with few exceptions.

Guys gamble on the tourney, so that makes it an amazing event? ::)

You can stick with college hoops. No harm in that. I prefer to watch the game played at the highest possible level. That's the NBA.

brandx

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2015, 06:15:03 PM »

Of course a shorter shot clock would increase scoring. What we wouldn't see anymore are PG using the first 20 seconds of the clock without ever initiating a play. Teams do not need 35 seconds to run a play. They just hold the ball for 25 seconds before starting any play. With a 30 second clock, they could only dribble near half court for 20 seconds instead of 25.

Some people liked watching Derrick dribble for 20 seconds while he is 35 feet from the basket; I didn't.