'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Viper
[Today at 05:12:57 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Geno Says Men's College Basketball Is Unwatchable (No One Can Score!)  (Read 18753 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
I'm having a hard time disagreeing with his comments.

Geno Auriemma decries men's game

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12599734/geno-auriemma-uconn-huskies-says-quality-men-college-basketball-joke

UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma has no love for the current state of men's college basketball.

Auriemma, speaking on a conference call with national media before taking his Huskies team to Tampa in its quest for a record 10th national championship, called the men's game "a joke."

"The bottom line is, nobody can score. ... College men's basketball is so far behind the times it's unbelievable."
    Geno Auriemma

"It really is," Auriemma said. "I don't coach it. I don't play it, so I don't understand the ins and outs of it. But as a spectator watching it, it's a joke. There's only like 10 teams, you know, out of 25, that actually play the kind of game of basketball that you'd like to watch."

Auriemma said he is speaking as a fan. And he doesn't like what he sees.

"The bottom line is, nobody can score," Auriemma said. "And they'll tell you that it's because of great defense, great scouting, a lot of teamwork. Nonsense, nonsense. College men's basketball is so far behind the times it's unbelievable."

In particular, Auriemma -- who has the highest winning percentage in the history of women's basketball and has led his team to eight straight Final Fours -- criticized the poor quality of offensive play.

"Every other major sport in the world has taken steps to help people be better on the offensive end of the floor," Auriemma said, citing rules changes that have been made in sports such as Major League Baseball and the NFL.

"This is entertainment we are talking about," Auriemma said. "People have to decide, do I want to spend 25 bucks, 30 bucks to go see a college scrum where everybody misses six of every 10 shots they take or do I want to go to a movie?

"We are fighting for the entertainment dollar here, and I have to tell you, it's not entertainment from a fan's standpoint."

Auriemma later expounded on his displeasure at the men's game in an ESPN Radio interview on Wednesday.

"Hey look, the women's game is less watchable, don't get me wrong," Auriemma said on "SVP & Russillo." "But what I'm saying is the ability of kids to make shots like they used to back in the day...is gone."

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
Re: Geno Says Men's College Basketball Is Unwatchable (No One Can Score!)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 08:11:40 AM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:11:52 AM »
I'm having a hard time disagreeing with his comments.

Geno Auriemma decries men's game

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12599734/geno-auriemma-uconn-huskies-says-quality-men-college-basketball-joke

UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma has no love for the current state of men's college basketball.

Auriemma, speaking on a conference call with national media before taking his Huskies team to Tampa in its quest for a record 10th national championship, called the men's game "a joke."

"The bottom line is, nobody can score. ... College men's basketball is so far behind the times it's unbelievable."
    Geno Auriemma

"It really is," Auriemma said. "I don't coach it. I don't play it, so I don't understand the ins and outs of it. But as a spectator watching it, it's a joke. There's only like 10 teams, you know, out of 25, that actually play the kind of game of basketball that you'd like to watch."

Auriemma said he is speaking as a fan. And he doesn't like what he sees.

"The bottom line is, nobody can score," Auriemma said. "And they'll tell you that it's because of great defense, great scouting, a lot of teamwork. Nonsense, nonsense. College men's basketball is so far behind the times it's unbelievable."

In particular, Auriemma -- who has the highest winning percentage in the history of women's basketball and has led his team to eight straight Final Fours -- criticized the poor quality of offensive play.

"Every other major sport in the world has taken steps to help people be better on the offensive end of the floor," Auriemma said, citing rules changes that have been made in sports such as Major League Baseball and the NFL.

"This is entertainment we are talking about," Auriemma said. "People have to decide, do I want to spend 25 bucks, 30 bucks to go see a college scrum where everybody misses six of every 10 shots they take or do I want to go to a movie?

"We are fighting for the entertainment dollar here, and I have to tell you, it's not entertainment from a fan's standpoint."

Auriemma later expounded on his displeasure at the men's game in an ESPN Radio interview on Wednesday.

"Hey look, the women's game is less watchable, don't get me wrong," Auriemma said on "SVP & Russillo." "But what I'm saying is the ability of kids to make shots like they used to back in the day...is gone."

In hockey, everyone misses about nine out of every ten shots. I don't recall hearing any complaints about that.

I think it is much more entertaining when there is a modicum of suspense about whether a shot is going to go in or not.  I would much rather watch a college basketball game where the final score is 59-55 than an NBA game where the final score is 92-76.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 08:25:06 AM »
In hockey, everyone misses about nine out of every ten shots. I don't recall hearing any complaints about that.

I think it is much more entertaining when there is a modicum of suspense about whether a shot is going to go in or not.  I would much rather watch a college basketball game where the final score is 59-55 than an NBA game where the final score is 92-76.

Yep, and in baseball, a guy who only gets a hit 3 out of 10 times is considered a good hitter...and yet he cites baseball as a game that has gotten more "exciting."

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 08:25:24 AM »
There is ... a lot ... that makes college basketball unwatchable. But I'm not sure scoring percentage is top five.

Clean up the block/charge call stuff... and, I haven't watched much CBB the last few years (no cable), but are players still allowed to jump into a defender and it's a foul on the defender? Just brutal to watch.

Edit: I watch zero NBA. Does this happen in the NBA? I can't imagine people would tolerate it or there would be zero ratings.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 08:44:08 AM »
They need to eliminate the charge call for secondary defenders, and clean up the bumping/grabbing off the ball. Might suck in the short term, but it will help open the game up.

I'd also like a 30 second shot clock, but I don't think the effect there would be huge.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 08:50:15 AM »
He's speaking as a fan...and he's 100% correct.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 08:55:52 AM »
Why did I enjoy watching Gonzaga this year - because they can shoot.  Butler a couple years ago - they could shoot.  Wisconsin - they can shoot. 

This whole "offense" with 4 guys standing outside the 3 point line waiting for a pass so they can try to drive to the basket for a dunk is boring. 

In fact, I'm really enjoying watching Euroleague... they can shoot!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 09:05:50 AM »
Why did I enjoy watching Gonzaga this year - because they can shoot.  Butler a couple years ago - they could shoot.  Wisconsin - they can shoot. 

This whole "offense" with 4 guys standing outside the 3 point line waiting for a pass so they can try to drive to the basket for a dunk is boring. 

In fact, I'm really enjoying watching Euroleague... they can shoot!

+1

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 09:24:07 AM »

+1

The game is so disjointed with the constant stoppages in play.  

I would:
1. Shorten the shot clock - ideally to 27 or 28 seconds

2. Go to the NBA model of TV timeouts where it is assigned to a team and can get assigned early if a team uses a timeout.

3. Widen the lane and charge arc

4. Set a hard limit for the amount of time a replay can take.  Waiting 5 minutes of real time for an out-of-bounds call 2:30 seconds into the game is so unnecessary

The NBA faced the same problems about 10-12 years ago and suffered through some really bad seasons as players and officials adjusted, however they came out much better for it. There is a lot of very good/entertaining basketball being played in the NBA now.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:27:24 AM by Marquette_g »

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 09:40:28 AM »
I disagree with him, he's way off. It has way more to do with coaching. All the analytics, efficiencies, etc. make college coaches feel like they need to control the game. The shot clock is also a major problem. I watched an NIT game with a 30 second shot clock, it's a great to watch. Shorter shot clock forces coaches to encourage pushing the ball up the court, if you walk it up the court there is only 22-24 seconds to get a good shot off. Not enough quality 1-1 isolation players in college to bail possessions out.

There are 32 teams in NCAA DI basketball that average over 110 points per 100 possessions, the clippers lead the NBA with 109.9. Sorry Geno, you're wrong. What's wrong is teams like UW being #1 in efficiency but 344th in tempo. That's hard to watch, they just pass the ball around for 15 seconds doing mostly nothing, in effort to wear the other team down. It's effective, but boring.

Just do what I do, put some money on the game. You can make the CBI tourney interesting.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:50:48 AM by esotericmindguy »

brandx

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 09:47:56 AM »

+1000

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 09:53:47 AM »
It's totally exciting to watch his team win every game by 40 points.  I'd rather watch inept parity than mass disparity.

LON

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 09:56:34 AM »
It's totally exciting to watch his team win every game by 40 points.  I'd rather watch inept parity than mass disparity.

Right.  This is rich coming from the guy that has to compete against, what, 5 other programs each year?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 09:57:51 AM »
I mentioned it in the Bilas thread yeaterday, but I think strength and athleticism are overtaking skill in the college game.  A guy like Jake Thomas was actually a skillful player who could make shots 25 years ago.  But now, he just couldn't get free from the athletes guarding him.  

I also think the 3 point line is proving counterproductive.  The mid-range game is disappearing.  You hear all the time that long two point jumpers are the worst shot in basketball because you move back a little and its a three.  But before the 3 point line guys learned to shoot from every distance, because that was the best way to be a good scorer (and a guy who is liable to pull up and shoot from any distance is the most difficult guy to guard).

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »
Yep, and in baseball, a guy who only gets a hit 3 out of 10 times is considered a good hitter...and yet he cites baseball as a game that has gotten more "exciting."

I saw 2 no hitters and one perfect game and have to say they were some of the most exciting games I attended. Great defense can be just as exciting as great offense. Lawrence Taylor was the star of the Giants. Even our own Jimmy Mac was better known for his defense. To take defense out of the game is just hog wash.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 10:01:49 AM »

You are right about that and he agrees.  Read his last comment,  "Hey look, the women's game is less watchable, don't get me wrong," Auriemma said on "SVP & Russillo." "But what I'm saying is the ability of kids to make shots like they used to back in the day...is gone."

He's right and the UConn women are unwatchable.  No fault of their own, they are head and shoulders above everyone else.  People around here actually look at the regional final against Dayton as a tight game, but they were ahead double digits the last 15 minutes and won by 21.

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 10:02:22 AM »
I saw 2 no hitters and one perfect game and have to say they were some of the most exciting games I attended. Great defense can be just as exciting as great offense. Lawrence Taylor was the star of the Giants. Even our own Jimmy Mac was better known for his defense. To take defense out of the game is just hog wash.

You lost me at baseball.

Defense can be exciting - teams like VCU and Arkansas are fun to watch when they are applying a lot of pressure.  However, it would be just as fun to watch them do that for 28 seconds as it is for 35 seconds.  

The game is too slow, with way too many breaks in the action.  It is possible to go from one TV timeout to the next with only 8 possessions.  

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 10:04:41 AM »

Great defense is only exciting when it is uncommon and difficult, like no-hitters and Lawrence Taylor.  If every baseball game was 1-0 all the games would be tight but I don't think many people would like it.  I would submit the defense regularly dominating any sport is to that sport's detriment.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 10:05:50 AM »
I haven't watched much CBB the last few years (no cable), but are players still allowed to jump into a defender and it's a foul on the defender? Just brutal to watch.

I hate this rule.  They've essentially made it a foul to "bite" on a pump fake.  Shooter fakes; defender jumps; shooter leans into the area where science dictates the defender must come down; foul.  I hate that call.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 10:22:20 AM »
Meanwhile, the unwatchable product Geno talks about has hit record setting tv numbers.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/03/30/2015-ncaa-tournament-delivers-record-setting-ratings-through-elite-eight/381386/

Unwatchable. A Joke.   Exploited.  Progress.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 10:46:56 AM »
I mentioned it in the Bilas thread yeaterday, but I think strength and athleticism are overtaking skill in the college game.  A guy like Jake Thomas was actually a skillful player who could make shots 25 years ago.  But now, he just couldn't get free from the athletes guarding him.  

I also think the 3 point line is proving counterproductive.  The mid-range game is disappearing.  You hear all the time that long two point jumpers are the worst shot in basketball because you move back a little and its a three.  But before the 3 point line guys learned to shoot from every distance, because that was the best way to be a good scorer (and a guy who is liable to pull up and shoot from any distance is the most difficult guy to guard).

I agree and wish Geno had spoken to the decline in individual core skills and teamwork among too many D-I players and teams. Better teamwork is definitely one thing that women's b-ball, international leagues and even D-III programs have over lots of men's teams.

I don't think shortening the shot clock will help shooting percentages, even if overall scoring goes up a bit.

In any case, I don't think I'd call men's college basketball "unwatchable" though it is certainly not the draw that it used to be.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 11:20:32 AM »
I disagree with him, he's way off. It has way more to do with coaching. All the analytics, efficiencies, etc. make college coaches feel like they need to control the game. The shot clock is also a major problem. I watched an NIT game with a 30 second shot clock, it's a great to watch. Shorter shot clock forces coaches to encourage pushing the ball up the court, if you walk it up the court there is only 22-24 seconds to get a good shot off. Not enough quality 1-1 isolation players in college to bail possessions out.

There are 32 teams in NCAA DI basketball that average over 110 points per 100 possessions, the clippers lead the NBA with 109.9. Sorry Geno, you're wrong. What's wrong is teams like UW being #1 in efficiency but 344th in tempo. That's hard to watch, they just pass the ball around for 15 seconds doing mostly nothing, in effort to wear the other team down. It's effective, but boring.

Just do what I do, put some money on the game. You can make the CBI tourney interesting.

Loyola just won this. Should we swap them for DePaul?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 12:16:49 PM »
Meanwhile, the unwatchable product Geno talks about has hit record setting tv numbers.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/03/30/2015-ncaa-tournament-delivers-record-setting-ratings-through-elite-eight/381386/

Unwatchable. A Joke.   Exploited.  Progress.

Then apparently I'm in the minority, because I think today's college hoops is crap.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 12:20:36 PM »
Geno, I'm having a hard time watching a women's college basketball game much less a women's TITLE game.
SS Marquette

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 12:36:28 PM »
Then apparently I'm in the minority, because I think today's college hoops is crap.

+1

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 12:45:10 PM »

2. Go to the NBA model of TV timeouts where it is assigned to a team and can get assigned early if a team uses a timeout.

I hate watching a game where a team calls a timeout just after the 16/12/8/4 minute mark.  You know you're about to watch a few minutes of commercials, have whatever terrible play the coach drew up blow up in his face leading to a dead ball and another few minutes of commercials.  Terrible.

eg021

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 01:06:55 PM »
I think it's most boring because of the ticky tack fouls. The rule changes made to help the offense by no bodying in the post, and no hand checking on the perimeter has made it boring for me. It has only worked to slow the game down and not produce more offense.

I'm OK if the game is low scoring when both teams are getting after it defensively, blocking shots, and there is good up and down rhythm to the game. But holding the basketball for 20 seconds at a minimum before trying to score is BS if you ask me.

What we have now is every basketball move generates a whistle on minimal contact or flops. Then we sit through a long timeout.
If the refs let the kids play more and we get more flow to the games, we'd all be happier I think.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 01:07:34 PM »
Well, those commercial breaks aren't going anywhere. So either accept it or watch something else.

Speaking for me, I'm watching something else.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 01:10:26 PM »
I think it's most boring because of the ticky tack fouls. The rule changes made to help the offense by no bodying in the post, and no hand checking on the perimeter has made it boring for me. It has only worked to slow the game down and not produce more offense.

Except they don't call it consistently, and the freedom of movement in the halfcourt suffers.

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2015, 01:17:49 PM »
Well, those commercial breaks aren't going anywhere. So either accept it or watch something else.

Speaking for me, I'm watching something else.

I know the TV breaks aren't going anywhere, but you could eliminate a couple of 20 second timeouts and then open up the timing of the game a little.  That way if a TO is called at 16:22, you don't need another break at 16:00.

I too am watching something else.  The NBA has become enjoyable viewing in my opinion.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2015, 01:21:06 PM »
If you think college hoops is crap, why are you on a college hoops board?

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2015, 01:23:45 PM »
If you think college hoops is crap, why are you on a college hoops board?

Because I still buy season tickets to MU in support of my alma mater and hold out hope that it can get back to being entertaining.

College Hoops is hard to watch, but going to a game beats watching Big Bang Theory re-runs on a Tuesday night in Jan. 

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2015, 01:25:35 PM »
I know the TV breaks aren't going anywhere, but you could eliminate a couple of 20 second timeouts and then open up the timing of the game a little.  That way if a TO is called at 16:22, you don't need another break at 16:00.

I too am watching something else.  The NBA has become enjoyable viewing in my opinion.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled. My home team is the Golden State Warriors. You won't find a more entertaining team to watch. Curry by himself is worth the price of admission.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2015, 01:30:23 PM »
Perhaps I'm just spoiled. My home team is the Golden State Warriors. You won't find a more entertaining team to watch. Curry by himself is worth the price of admission.
That's right, you said that on the other board. Golden State is a whole different style than college basketball.

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2015, 01:33:02 PM »

I love the NBA.  Even though the Bucks have spiraled, I still find the games more enjoyable than all but the very best college basketball games.

Curry is a joy to watch.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2015, 02:33:34 PM »

I despise the NBA, but the Warriors and Hawks are worth watching.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2015, 02:47:55 PM »
I despise the NBA, but the Warriors and Hawks are worth watching.

The NBA has changed the past few years and becoming more European/team oriented. Never understood the complaint NBA players can't shoot/don't play d. Watching college players are far inferior in both categories but the bad defense allowed easy 3 point shots at a shorter line. There is a reason college stars don't always translate to the NBA.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 03:19:30 PM »
The NBA has changed the past few years and becoming more European/team oriented. Never understood the complaint NBA players can't shoot/don't play d. Watching college players are far inferior in both categories but the bad defense allowed easy 3 point shots at a shorter line. There is a reason college stars don't always translate to the NBA.

It's as much about my disdain for some of the entitled pricks in the NBA as anything else.  There are pricks in college, too, but they aren't around very long

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 03:36:41 PM »
I disagree. Besides the NFL, college basketball is my favorite sport to watch. Also if you think teams can't score now, what do you think shortening the shot clock would do? I hate the shorter shot clock idea.

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 03:38:11 PM »
I disagree. Besides the NFL, college basketball is my favorite sport to watch. Also if you think teams can't score now, what do you think shortening the shot clock would do? I hate the shorter shot clock idea.

...force the tempo and add possessions.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2015, 03:49:16 PM »
It's as much about my disdain for some of the entitled pricks in the NBA as anything else.  There are pricks in college, too, but they aren't around very long

Hate to break it to you, but the NBA has hardly cornered the market on "pricks." Go hang out with some MLB or NFL players sometime.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »
I love reading the basketball purist rip on todays sports. I bet you watched when Marquette won in 1977, teams combined to shoot 47% and there wasn't a 3 point line. Go ahead and watch the first 10 minutes of this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEEXPiXBmEg . If you think that's better basketball you're kidding yourself. And these were the two best coaches at the time. But hey, there weren't any commercial breaks! How dare networks make money.

The game has evolved, players are faster, bigger, stronger and more skilled.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 04:06:06 PM »

People here agree with Geno that college hoops is unwatchable in part because of sloppy offense and low shooting percentages...so rushing the players into quicker shots is going to help fix that "problem"?  Hurrying players into more rushed shots will make it more sloppy, not less.

The game is not broken.  If it was, we wouldn't all be here day after day talking about it.

I think hockey is boring...so I DON'T hang out on hockey message boards.

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2015, 04:12:56 PM »
I love reading the basketball purist rip on todays sports. I bet you watched when Marquette won in 1977, teams combined to shoot 47% and there wasn't a 3 point line. Go ahead and watch the first 10 minutes of this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEEXPiXBmEg . If you think that's better basketball you're kidding yourself. And these were the two best coaches at the time. But hey, there weren't any commercial breaks! How dare networks make money.

The game has evolved, players are faster, bigger, stronger and more skilled.

I completely agree, that is why the game needs some tweaking to account for these bigger, strong, and more skilled players.

I'm also not suggesting to do away with commercial breaks (that would be pretty naive) - I'm suggesting changing them from being set at every four minutes to a little more flexible timing based on when coaches use timeouts, so you don't get back to back breaks with 20 second of action in between.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2015, 04:22:22 PM »
Unwatchable with record TV ratings....  Something doesn't add up here.

I think many college hoops fans enjoy the sport because it is NOT like the NBA, with an almost complete lack of defense and lots of "exciting" offense.  I know I am one of those people.  I think the sport needs to think long and hard about any changes that would make it NBA-lite.

Oh...this year, for the first time, the first weekend of March Madness surpassed the Super Bowl as the biggest sports weekend of the year in Vegas.   

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »
Unwatchable with record TV ratings....  Something doesn't add up here.

I think many college hoops fans enjoy the sport because it is NOT like the NBA, with an almost complete lack of defense and lots of "exciting" offense.  I know I am one of those people.  I think the sport needs to think long and hard about any changes that would make it NBA-lite.

Oh...this year, for the first time, the first weekend of March Madness surpassed the Super Bowl as the biggest sports weekend of the year in Vegas.  

Saying they don't play defense in the NBA is relic of about 15 years ago.

I think just about everyone agrees that the tournament itself is incredible (that is why people are in Vegas), but that is because of the drama of one and done.  That doesn't mean all those people are there because of the quality of the product on the court. 

The Kentucky Derby had a record handle last year as well, that doesn't mean horse racing is about to explode in popularity. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:26:47 PM by Marquette_g »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2015, 05:27:12 PM »
We allowed plenty of points this year and I hated every minute if it.   Aurema should try making the switch and see if he can handle some competition.

CBB is fine.  Only changes I would like to see is push back the 3 line and go to a 25 shot clock.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2015, 05:39:20 PM »

I think many college hoops fans enjoy the sport because it is NOT like the NBA, with an almost complete lack of defense and lots of "exciting" offense.  I know I am one of those people.  I think the sport needs to think long and hard about any changes that would make it NBA-lite.

Record ratings? Go ask ESPN or FS1 if that's true. Their ratings have been horrid all year. How many games have drawn a .01 or .00 rating? Also, take a look at arenas across the country. Plenty of good seats available with few exceptions.

Guys gamble on the tourney, so that makes it an amazing event? ::)

You can stick with college hoops. No harm in that. I prefer to watch the game played at the highest possible level. That's the NBA.

brandx

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2015, 06:15:03 PM »

Of course a shorter shot clock would increase scoring. What we wouldn't see anymore are PG using the first 20 seconds of the clock without ever initiating a play. Teams do not need 35 seconds to run a play. They just hold the ball for 25 seconds before starting any play. With a 30 second clock, they could only dribble near half court for 20 seconds instead of 25.

Some people liked watching Derrick dribble for 20 seconds while he is 35 feet from the basket; I didn't.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2015, 06:39:12 PM »
Hate to break it to you, but the NBA has hardly cornered the market on "pricks." Go hang out with some MLB or NFL players sometime.

I don't disagree with you, but I've spent the majority of the last 15 years working sports and having to interact daily with players, coaches, commissioners, etc, etc in every major sport.  There are pricks in each of them, but some sports have more pricks per capita or just overall bigger pricks....NBA wins it hands down in my 15 years.  Not. Even. Close.  NFL second.  Baseball a distant third.  Hockey barely registers, though there are a few.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2015, 06:41:08 PM »
Record ratings? Go ask ESPN or FS1 if that's true. Their ratings have been horrid all year. How many games have drawn a .01 or .00 rating? Also, take a look at arenas across the country. Plenty of good seats available with few exceptions.

Guys gamble on the tourney, so that makes it an amazing event? ::)

You can stick with college hoops. No harm in that. I prefer to watch the game played at the highest possible level. That's the NBA.

Record ratings for the tournament.  Season ratings are down, but that is mostly due to the abundance of product.  NBA ratings are down as well.  None of that is changing anytime soon.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2015, 07:11:24 PM »
Record ratings for the tournament.  Season ratings are down, but that is mostly due to the abundance of product.  NBA ratings are down as well.  None of that is changing anytime soon.

Yes, the days of the 3 networks are over. A lot of choices for folks especially those that are not into sports.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2015, 07:13:37 PM »
Yes, the days of the 3 networks are over. A lot of choices for folks especially those that are not into sports.

Yup.  I can't remember the stat that one sport exec told me last month, but the number of college basketball games broadcast now between television and online is amazing.  Astronomical numbers. 

Not the days when I was growing up and there was one game a week....just like the days of one baseball game a week.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2015, 07:28:03 PM »
Yup.  I can't remember the stat that one sport exec told me last month, but the number of college basketball games broadcast now between television and online is amazing.  Astronomical numbers. 

Not the days when I was growing up and there was one game a week....just like the days of one baseball game a week.

Unless you were a Cubs fan and had WGN.

Jack Brickhouse.  Hey Hey.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
This is coming from a guy who has an iron vice grip on the sport of Womens CBB...every year its the same teams in the final four basically and there is really no answer for Uconn...at least the mens game makes it interesting and unpredictable to a certain extent.

ShootinOutWallsofHeartach

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2015, 10:24:45 PM »
Excellent post by GoldenZebra. Geno walks in a rarefied cloud of self-importance. Never could stand him, and that was long before his venomous diatribe against the C-7. It seems that the Womens' game produces major coaching longevity/dinosaurs. Doug Bruno is a decent guy, but how long has his DePaul tenure run on? I guess an easier path to success breeds an easier path to longevity. Yet, when a coach on the Mens' side achieves at a high level institution, he is often lured to the next "greenest pasture." Would there be more coaching musical chairs in the Women's game if more schools were willing to step up and reach for elite status? Vicious cycle of no-interest, no money, stagnancy notwithstanding.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »
The Wisconsin/Kentucky NCAA Tournament Final Four game earned a 13.3 overnight rating on TBS, TNT and TruTV Saturday night, up 48% from Kentucky/Wisconsin last year (9.0), up 30% from Michigan/Syracuse on CBS in 2013 (10.2), and the highest overnight for a national semifinal since 1993 (13.8).

The 13.3 overnight is easily the highest ever for a non-football sporting event on cable, topping the previous high of 9.6 for last year’s Belgium/USA World Cup match on ESPN. The previous high for a basketball game on cable was a 9.1 for Game 7 of the 2013 NBA Eastern Conference Finals, also on ESPN.

Compared to other sports, the 13.3 topped every game of last year’s NBA Finals (ABC) and six of last year’s seven World Series games (FOX) (Game 7 had a 15.2). It was no match, however, for the comparable semifinals of the College Football Playoff — which earned overnights of 15.5 and 15.3 on ESPN.

Saturday’s overnight peaked at a 16.4 from 10-10:15 PM CT
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2015, 11:49:05 AM »
The Wisconsin/Kentucky NCAA Tournament Final Four game earned a 13.3 overnight rating on TBS, TNT and TruTV Saturday night, up 48% from Kentucky/Wisconsin last year (9.0), up 30% from Michigan/Syracuse on CBS in 2013 (10.2), and the highest overnight for a national semifinal since 1993 (13.8).

The 13.3 overnight is easily the highest ever for a non-football sporting event on cable, topping the previous high of 9.6 for last year’s Belgium/USA World Cup match on ESPN. The previous high for a basketball game on cable was a 9.1 for Game 7 of the 2013 NBA Eastern Conference Finals, also on ESPN.

Compared to other sports, the 13.3 topped every game of last year’s NBA Finals (ABC) and six of last year’s seven World Series games (FOX) (Game 7 had a 15.2). It was no match, however, for the comparable semifinals of the College Football Playoff — which earned overnights of 15.5 and 15.3 on ESPN.

Saturday’s overnight peaked at a 16.4 from 10-10:15 PM CT

The exploitation of these athletes....it is despicable 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2015, 08:50:50 PM »

Well you just answered that yourself - because of gambling. Why else for does a NFL game between Jacksonville and Tennessee in December get high ratings? Because of fantasy football and gambling.

Also with around 4-5 days between games in College, it gives coaches to much prep and nitpik every aspect while in the NBA 2-3 day to prepare more focused on your own team, so I believe that interrupts the flow of the game.

Besides the shot clock they should reduce the amount of Coach's timeouts. It seems that the last 2 minutes for each lasts 15 minutes because of timeouts. Have 5, but only 3 carry over to the second half.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2015, 09:07:54 PM »
Mark Cuban weighs in

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/mark-cuban-horrible-state-college-basketball-hurting-nba/story?id=30168596

I know dozens of people (including you and me) who find the NBA unwatchable. He's just bummed that his minor league system isn't an apples-to-apples comparison so he can draft better

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2015, 11:27:31 AM »

Not to mention the D has less time to set up due to this, so even if there are a few more forced shots, there will also be more easy baskets due to teams pushing the tempo.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2015, 02:33:34 PM »
Yeah, the NBA product is soo much better... ::)

https://vine.co/v/eBEn1DXapHj

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2015, 02:37:32 PM »
I agree with one thing.  The college game has gotten too physical.  That's why it appears to be poorly officiated.  Too much contact is allowed so it can seem arbitrary when some calls are made and some are not.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2015, 03:30:32 PM »
I agree with one thing.  The college game has gotten too physical.  That's why it appears to be poorly officiated.  Too much contact is allowed so it can seem arbitrary when some calls are made and some are not.

There's a lack of consistency league to league and crew to crew. I think it really hurts leagues that what they get accustomed to all year long is not necessarily what they'll see come tourney time. Bo's petulant rant may have been petty, but it's true that the way his games are reffed in conference play (10.8 average fouls per game) is not how they were reffed in the tournament (16.2 average fouls per game). A good coach realizes that and adjusts to it (as K did in the Final) but it'd be better if there was consistency throughout the sport.

It's tough because of the sheer quantity of leagues and games, but refs basically act as free agents or mercenaries, able to take on as many games as they can get to and not having an actual contract (because the leagues don't want to pay insurance and benefits). That leads to tired, inconsistent refs and ultimately makes for a harder product to watch because from a reffing standpoint, you never really know what you're going to get.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2015, 03:49:29 PM »
There's a lack of consistency league to league and crew to crew. I think it really hurts leagues that what they get accustomed to all year long is not necessarily what they'll see come tourney time. Bo's petulant rant may have been petty, but it's true that the way his games are reffed in conference play (10.8 average fouls per game) is not how they were reffed in the tournament (16.2 average fouls per game). A good coach realizes that and adjusts to it (as K did in the Final) but it'd be better if there was consistency throughout the sport.

Except Bo was complaining that there was too much physicality allowed (i.e. not enough fouls called), while based on your numbers he should be complaining about too many fouls called. 

I do agree with your larger point about inconsistency, though.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2015, 06:43:56 PM »
Yeah, the NBA product is soo much better... ::)

https://vine.co/v/eBEn1DXapHj

So....a missed call makes college basketball better than the NBA??? Ummmmmmmm, okay. ::)

You can watch whatever you wish, I don't care. I'll stick with the NBA—where the game is played at the highest level.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »
Except Bo was complaining that there was too much physicality allowed (i.e. not enough fouls called), while based on your numbers he should be complaining about too many fouls called.  

I do agree with your larger point about inconsistency, though.

I predict his whining will continue with Stone at MD and Swanigan at MSU.

Sneak peek at the current Badgers roster (minus the Seniors and Dekker):
22   Ethan Happ   F   6-9   230   FR   Milan, Ill.
20   T.J. Schlundt   G   6-5   182   FR   Oconomowoc, Wis.
4   Matt Ferris     G   6-6   195   FR   Appleton, Wis.
35   Riley Dearring   G   6-5   182   RS FR   Minnetonka, Minn.
5   Aaron Moesch   F   6-8   215   RS FR   Green Bay, Wis.
11   Jordan Hill     G   6-3   175   SO   Pasadena, Calif.
30   Vitto Brown        F   6-8   237   SO   Bowling Green, Ohio
10   Nigel Hayes   F   6-8   235   SO   Toledo, Ohio
24   Bronson Koenig G   6-4   190   SO   La Crosse, Wis.
3   Zak Showalter   G   6-2   185   RS SO   Germantown, Wis.
2   Jordan Smith   G   6-3   180   RS JR   Orono, Minn.

Incoming commits:
Alex Illikainen
#32 PF   Grand Rapids, MN
Brewster Academy   6'8''   225      80   

Brevin Pritzl
#33 SG   De Pere, WI
De Pere High School   6'3''   185      80   

Charlie Thomas
#42 PF   Clarksville, MD
River Hill High School   6'8''   245      78   

Khalil Iverson
#77 SF   Delaware, OH