collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: President's Budget Eliminates Donation Expense for Tix  (Read 50927 times)

mu-rara

• All American
Re: President's Budget Eliminates Donation Expense for Tix
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2015, 08:10:24 AM »

LOL.  Right wing talking point with no basis in reality.

Seriously how patronizing.  "Even though you make LESS THAN $20,000 we are going to tax you so you fully understand how the tax system works."

Doesn't surprise me that Chicos actually thinks this is a good idea. 
Sultan, the top 10% of earners pay 68% of all the taxes when they earn only 45% of all income.  I am not an advocate of taxing the bottom 50% as they only earn 12% of all income, but come on......the top 10% pay enough. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2015, 08:29:41 AM »
anyhoo, back to the topic of deducting B&G fund donations re: seats - if this deduction went away and supposing MU raises the actual ticket prices to compensate for the lost revenue, would MU have to report that as income if it isn't a charitable contribution?

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2015, 08:42:42 AM »
anyhoo, back to the topic of deducting B&G fund donations re: seats - if this deduction went away and supposing MU raises the actual ticket prices to compensate for the lost revenue, would MU have to report that as income if it isn't a charitable contribution?

If that is what occurred, then for sure that would be taxable income.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2015, 08:45:09 AM »
i am really concerned that some here seem to there is something inherently wrong with the notion of trying to keep more of the money YOU/WE EARN.  the problem is, when one finds legitimate ways to KEEP some of their own hard earned money, they usually spend it somewhere, i.e. donations, luxury boxes, etc.  many of these expenditures lead to other areas that still benefit the government-buying goods and services that provide jobs which in turn generate many other taxes-sales, gas, income etc. i am a  believer that we, the people can spend our money better and more efficient than the gubmint-that of course is a whole notha subject that would shirley get the "lock down" real quick-I have a toothache so fellas?
don't...don't don't don't don't

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2015, 08:45:37 AM »

I don't think MU would be obligated to change their pricing structure at all.  The contribution would just no longer be deductible for those buying the tix.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »
I don't think MU would be obligated to change their pricing structure at all.  The contribution would just no longer be deductible for those buying the tix.

True, but I think MK's point was that if the deduction no longer exists, less people would then be willing to make that contribution for those tickets, and thus MU would be losing those contributions to fund their scholarships.  If MU needed to offset that, maybe an increase in the ticket price would occur, and that difference would help fund those scholarships.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2015, 09:00:49 AM »
True, but I think MK's point was that if the deduction no longer exists, less people would then be willing to make that contribution for those tickets, and thus MU would be losing those contributions to fund their scholarships.  If MU needed to offset that, maybe an increase in the ticket price would occur, and that difference would help fund those scholarships.

I wonder how noticeably the ticket sales would change if that deduction was removed.  I would assume not very much.  A noticeable change would imply that people are valuing the tax deduction more than the tickets themselves, which I would be very surprised if that was the case.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:13:09 AM by g0lden3agle »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2015, 09:03:42 AM »

MU wouldn't be obligated to do anything.  But if the real cost of my season ticket went up by 25% (the aforementioned allowed deduction), I would by definition be less inclined to purchase.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2015, 09:04:48 AM »
I wonder how noticeably the ticket sales would change if that deduction was removed.  I would assume not very much.  I noticeable change would imply that people are valuing the tax deduction more than the tickets themselves, which I would be very surprised if that was the case.

Therein lies the real question.  How elastic or inelastic is demand for MU tickets?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2015, 09:31:53 AM »

LOL.  Right wing talking point with no basis in reality.

Seriously how patronizing.  "Even though you make LESS THAN $20,000 we are going to tax you so you fully understand how the tax system works."

Doesn't surprise me that Chicos actually thinks this is a good idea. 

LOL.  Yes, JFK...that right winger.  Sam Nunn...that right winger.  Etc, etc

Define fully, because that's not what I am saying.   If people don't understand the cost of something because it is free, then there is no true valuation tied to them that is linked.  This is Econ 101 \ public policy 101, not some talking point.  I think a flat tax is the fairest form of taxation, I also know it isn't going to happen.

My solution would be EVERYONE pays something, the problem today is 47% pay NOTHING in federal taxes. NOTHING.  Not one red cent.  That is a major problem.  So you can run along and say I want them taxed fully...define fully?   No, what I want that I think is practical is that they pay SOMETHING....not the current NOTHING they pay today.  If you don't pay for something and it's always there, one has no idea what it costs and you're fine just keeping it going.  That's great for that person, not so great for everyone else that has to pay for it. 

I always find it amusing one side keeps calling for tax increases....well, here's a tax increase that apparently that side doesn't like....ironic.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2015, 09:42:39 AM »
If that is what occurred, then for sure that would be taxable income.

Unless I am mistaken, (I am an accountant, but not a tax expert) Marquette and its athletic programs  are IRS-recognized Not For Profits, so the income would not be taxable to Marquette. I don't think that Marquette is really affected by whether or not the required donations are tax-deductible by the ticketholder, other than any impact it would have on demand.

Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2015, 09:48:04 AM »
Sultan, the top 10% of earners pay 68% of all the taxes when they earn only 45% of all income.  I am not an advocate of taxing the bottom 50% as they only earn 12% of all income, but come on......the top 10% pay enough. 

I don't think you heard me state otherwise.  I just have a problem with the condescending attitude.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2015, 09:49:33 AM »
LOL.  Yes, JFK...that right winger.  Sam Nunn...that right winger.  Etc, etc

Define fully, because that's not what I am saying.   If people don't understand the cost of something because it is free, then there is no true valuation tied to them that is linked.  This is Econ 101 \ public policy 101, not some talking point.  I think a flat tax is the fairest form of taxation, I also know it isn't going to happen.

My solution would be EVERYONE pays something, the problem today is 47% pay NOTHING in federal taxes. NOTHING.  Not one red cent.  That is a major problem.  So you can run along and say I want them taxed fully...define fully?   No, what I want that I think is practical is that they pay SOMETHING....not the current NOTHING they pay today.  If you don't pay for something and it's always there, one has no idea what it costs and you're fine just keeping it going.  That's great for that person, not so great for everyone else that has to pay for it. 

I always find it amusing one side keeps calling for tax increases....well, here's a tax increase that apparently that side doesn't like....ironic.

I have not argued for tax increases.  I have not argued that the tax system should be more "progressive."

I have argued that "THEY HAVE TO PAY SOMETHING!!!" attitude is condescending and patronizing.  But that's really who you are....so...I am not surprised.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2015, 09:52:26 AM »
Unless I am mistaken, (I am an accountant, but not a tax expert) Marquette and its athletic programs  are IRS-recognized Not For Profits, so the income would not be taxable to Marquette. I don't think that Marquette is really affected by whether or not the required donations are tax-deductible by the ticketholder, other than any impact it would have on demand.

Ahhh, you are correct.  I had mistakenly forgot that Marquette and the athletic programs are Not For Profits.  So yes, it would not be taxable income.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2015, 10:20:12 AM »
Ahhh, you are correct.  I had mistakenly forgot that Marquette and the athletic programs are Not For Profits.  So yes, it would not be taxable income.

Not yet, anyways.   :P
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2015, 11:30:28 AM »

Non-profits *can* have unrelated business income that is considered taxable if it is outside the intended purpose of the organization.  For instance, if Marquette decided to open a few bars around the City to generate some money, the net income from those would be considered taxable because the income isn't related to the charitable purpose of the organization.

The fear that Marquette (and others) have to live with is that right now athletic income (tickets, TV rights, donations) are considered "related income."  If Congress decides that athletic income is "unrelated," and therefore taxable, that is when the sh*t hits the fan.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »
Example: You purchase two preferred seats with a recommended $3,600 Blue & Gold Fund donation each. The tax deduction will be the $7,200 Blue & Gold Fund donation minus the cost of the parking pass ($340) multiplied by 80%. You would be allowed $5,488 in tax deductions.

Recommended Preferred Blue & Gold Fund Seat Donation   $7,200
Less: Cost of Parking   ($340)
Total Donation Less Benefits Received   $6,860
20 % IRS Discount   x .80
IRS Tax Deduction   $5,488

In this case where a premium seat buyer of two premium seats, they would lose the $5488 deduction or if we assume a 35% tax bracket (fed + state) they would lose $1,920 out of their pocket.  Crazy!  It will drive people to less expensive seats and the B&G will be stressed.

Tax reform is needed but lets quit proposing silly measures in the mean time. The code needs to look wholistic at what societal actions need to be addressed, not simply try to be robinhood.

This attitude of a "zero sum game" needs to stop.  Free enterprise drives better behavior, the fortunes of all participants can increase and everyone can prosper.  Personally I believe everyone needs to pay some income tax, even if its 1%.  Everyone who drives over a bridge should feel like they helped build it.  There is a pretty significant incentive to do nothing.  BP couldn't even hire locals at $15 an hour for the Gulf oil spill.
They ended up housing people from as far away as New York. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »
Example: You purchase two preferred seats with a recommended $3,600 Blue & Gold Fund donation each. The tax deduction will be the $7,200 Blue & Gold Fund donation minus the cost of the parking pass ($340) multiplied by 80%. You would be allowed $5,488 in tax deductions.

In this case where a premium seat buyer of two premium seats, they would lose the $5488 deduction or if we assume a 35% tax bracket (fed + state) they would lose $1,920 out of their pocket.  Crazy!  It will drive people to less expensive seats and the B&G will be stressed.

Tax reform is needed but lets quit proposing silly measures in the mean time. The code needs to look wholistic at what societal actions need to be addressed, not simply try to be robinhood.

This attitude of a "zero sum game" needs to stop.  Free enterprise drives better behavior, the fortunes of all participants can increase and everyone can prosper.  Personally I believe everyone needs to pay some income tax, even if its 1%.  Everyone who drives over a bridge should feel like they helped build it.  There is a pretty significant incentive to do nothing.  BP couldn't even hire locals at $15 an hour for the Gulf oil spill.

So poor people and the elderly don't have to pay the gas tax? 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2015, 12:01:36 PM »

In this case where a premium seat buyer of two premium seats, they would lose the $5488 deduction or if we assume a 35% tax bracket (fed + state) they would lose $1,920 out of their pocket.  Crazy!  It will drive people to less expensive seats and the B&G will be stressed.

This attitude of a "zero sum game" needs to stop.  Free enterprise drives better behavior, the fortunes of all participants can increase and everyone can prosper.  Personally I believe everyone needs to pay some income tax, even if its 1%.  Everyone who drives over a bridge should feel like they helped build it.  There is a pretty significant incentive to do nothing.  BP couldn't even hire locals at $15 an hour for the Gulf oil spill.

If they have purchased their own gasoline, everyone who has driven over a bridge has helped build it. As far as I know, the government does not give poor people gasoline.

brandx

« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2015, 12:04:45 PM »

This attitude of a "zero sum game" needs to stop.  Free enterprise drives better behavior, the fortunes of all participants can increase and everyone can prosper.  Personally I believe everyone needs to pay some income tax, even if its 1%.  Everyone who drives over a bridge should feel like they helped build it.

Wow. You say some good things here. But.... the bolded sentence? In the real world? Com'n, man.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2015, 12:16:31 PM »
i am really concerned that some here seem to there is something inherently wrong with the notion of trying to keep more of the money YOU/WE EARN.  the problem is, when one finds legitimate ways to KEEP some of their own hard earned money, they usually spend it somewhere, i.e. donations, luxury boxes, etc.  many of these expenditures lead to other areas that still benefit the government-buying goods and services that provide jobs which in turn generate many other taxes-sales, gas, income etc. i am a  believer that we, the people can spend our money better and more efficient than the gubmint-that of course is a whole notha subject that would shirley get the "lock down" real quick-I have a toothache so fellas?

Trickle-down economics has been shown as ineffective

I agree with the flat tax as a percentage of income for EVERYONE. Caveats being that capital gains tax, estate/inheritance tax and poverty line also be raised.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:20:39 PM by jesmu84 »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2015, 12:38:28 PM »
Trickle-down economics has been shown as ineffective

I agree with the flat tax as a percentage of income for EVERYONE. Caveats being that capital gains tax, estate/inheritance tax and poverty line also be raised.

The estate tax is the most B.S. tax there is.  That wealth has already been taxed at least once as income.  Why should dying be a taxable event? If some geezer blows his savings on booze and whores, the government wouldn't see a penny of it.  But if he lives beneath his means so he can leave something (especially something like a family business) to his loved ones, the government swoops in and takes a huge cut off of the top.
Have some patience, FFS.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2015, 01:00:29 PM »
I just notice the "no politics" rule on this board.  I believe tax code changes affecting our student athletes by impacting donations is absurd but I apologize that it has gone the usual route of libs vs libertarians.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »
I just notice the "no politics" rule on this board.  I believe tax code changes affecting our student athletes by impacting donations is absurd but I apologize that it has gone the usual route of libs vs libertarians.

I've been letting this one slide for the most part.  But try to keep if on the topic of ticket deductions (I know, there have already been several that were not....)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2015, 02:42:27 PM »
Though I don't want a bunch of mostly-political threads filling the 'bar, this has been more civil than the average Buzz / Crean debate thread, I'll give it that.  We should have a giant religious debate next.