'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by Viper
[Today at 07:44:25 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Maurice O'Field - 2015 - 6'5" SF from Midland College  (Read 73309 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Maurice O'Field - 2015 - 6'5" SF from Midland College
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2015, 10:40:39 AM »
You are right about that. Roster upheaval at Duke is pretty much never a factor there, because transfers are almost non-existent, and they have plenty of quality to backfill if somebody does rarely leave. And Duke probably had two or three JUCO's in K's 30 years there. (If even that many).

But hey, Are we not now the Duke of the Midwest, and the BEast?

Actually, we're vying with Northwestern and Notre Dame for the "Duke of the Midwest" moniker. We are, though, definitely the Duke of the BEast.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2015, 10:41:47 AM »
A Marquette assistant watched Midland and Lee Colleges play on November 2nd and they've been monitoring Maurice O'Field and Tyrone Outlaw Jr. since, so this is hardly a reaction.

That is good to know.   Thank you.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2015, 10:49:32 AM »
That is good to know.   Thank you.    

I know that many are clamoring for a PG as our most important need. I agree, but this kid is an absolute beast. Picture a nastier, tougher Jamil Wilson.  We need a more athletic recruit like him, who consistently plays above the rim.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2015, 11:08:35 AM »
Why do I get the feeling that Wojo is frantically playing catch up?   He thought he had his class and was set.   And now he is learning one of Buzz's lessons....... never stop recruiting.   From the outside, it appears that he DID stop and lost all of his recruiting momentum.    Dawson/Burton/NN later, he is suddenly short on bodies for next year and is casting around.    It suddenly feels like Buzz all over again, when we would hear every day about somebody else that Buzz had offered.   

I see it the same way.  At a minimum he needs to land two players that can meaningfully contribute next year.  I think it somewhat important that Anim not get out of town tomorrow without a signature.

And while I'm a Wojo fan, let me add that expectations next year will be higher as they should be.  No one can legitimately fault him very much for this year (with the possible exception of the Burton situation).  Next year he'll need to put a fully respectable team on the floor.  I'm not suggesting that failing to make the NCAA will be fatal.  But a 7-11 BEast record and no NIT would put him on the hot seat for 16-17 in my mind.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2015, 11:14:25 AM »
I know that many are clamoring for a PG as our most important need. I agree, but this kid is an absolute beast. Picture a nastier, tougher Jamil Wilson.  We need a more athletic recruit like him, who consistently plays above the rim.

I think wojo knows what he needs, but I believe he will try and keep a few scholarships open for the annual 500 players who will transfer in spring

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2015, 11:15:40 AM »
Because he is.  That's why the cavalier attitude of "Next man up," and "Wojo will find guys that fit his style/prototype, and buy into Wojo's Way," is a very dangerous line of thinking.  This is also partially why I felt he was playing Russian Roulette with JJJ - considering having lost Dawson and Burton, and then with the Nick N situation being dicey at best - it was very conceivable we'd have 4 open scholarships, and if JJJ were to leave - that's 5.

Recruiting to Marquette ain't easy, and though Wojo struck some early gold with Henry, and solid appearing prospects in Heldt and Cheatham - he now has to recruit with his first year coaching record on display. Furthermore has to recruit having lost two of his guys that originally stayed with him - Dawson and Burton.

Competition is fierce for these remaining top prospects.  I'll feel MUCH better if Wojo can reel in a guy like Carter who other high majors are hot for.  Anim?  Well, he'll fill a spot on the bench next year, yet University of Minnesota, right in his backyard isn't recruiting him.

Ya gotta have the stones to establish your program's identity. Can't let the tail wag the dog. Will reap the benefits down the road and be well worth peein' down our collective legs right now. W's and L's should take a backseat for future prosperity. Remember, past performance is not a guarantee of future earnin's. ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2015, 11:18:48 AM »
I see it the same way.  At a minimum he needs to land two players that can meaningfully contribute next year.  I think it somewhat important that Anim not get out of town tomorrow without a signature.

And while I'm a Wojo fan, let me add that expectations next year will be higher as they should be.  No one can legitimately fault him very much for this year (with the possible exception of the Burton situation).  Next year he'll need to put a fully respectable team on the floor.  I'm not suggesting that failing to make the NCAA will be fatal.  But a 7-11 BEast record and no NIT would put him on the hot seat for 16-17 in my mind.

Can somebody explain if this is kid is the sleeper of the year why Minny is not recruiting him?  Are they already full of scholarships for next year?  Always under why a kid is not recruited hard in there home town, obviously Bo knew the problems with Nick.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2015, 11:21:36 AM »
I think wojo knows what he needs, but I believe he will try and keep a few scholarships open for the annual 500 players who will transfer in spring

I'd be more comfortable today if that number was 1.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2015, 11:27:21 AM »

Ya gotta have the stones to establish your program's identity. Can't let the tail wag the dog. Will reap the benefits down the road and be well worth peein' down our collective legs right now. W's and L's should take a backseat for future prosperity. Remember, past performance is not a guarantee of future earnin's. ai na?

I don't have an issue with someone trying to establish their program's identity.  I also don't think for a second Burton and Dawson were bad character kids, and not hard working - just a different personality type than Wojo.

Furthermore, every coach starts and begins his position speaking of establishing their culture and identity - it is coach speak - yet frequently it never takes shape, or as it does take shape - it backfires as players don't respond to the coach's coaching.

It is still too early to definitively conclude how things will go with Wojo, but, I'm far less optimistic than I was October 1st.

I have NO DOUBT Wojo puts on a great executive appearance and demeanor at the admin level.  Hell, he looks like a CEO.  Yet, my concern is basketball isn't the business world, and you need a coach with some charisma and street smarts to generally be successful.  I just don't see that charisma in Wojo.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2015, 11:31:39 AM »
Can somebody explain if this is kid is the sleeper of the year why Minny is not recruiting him?  Are they already full of scholarships for next year?  Always under why a kid is not recruited hard in there home town, obviously Bo knew the problems with Nick.

Why didn't Indiana recruit Dom James?
Why didn't Illinois recruit Jerel McNeal?
Why didn't any big school in Texas recruit Jimmy Butler?
Why the hell does it matter whether or not Minnesota is recruiting the kid? Maybe Little Ricky has a poor eye for talent. Maybe Amin doesn't fit the hole(s) he's trying to fill (i.e. he need a post player or a point guard).

This obsession with whether or not Minnesota is recruiting the kid is just plain weird. There's no reason to believe at this point that Wojo and his staff are incapable of identifying talented players.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2015, 11:34:56 AM »
right, who knows why MN isn't after some of their own, Bo Ryan has out recruited MN of MN high school players many times

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2015, 11:35:18 AM »
I don't have an issue with someone trying to establish their program's identity.  I also don't think for a second Burton and Dawson were bad character kids, and not hard working - just a different personality type than Wojo.

Furthermore, every coach starts and begins his position speaking of establishing their culture and identity - it is coach speak - yet frequently it never takes shape, or as it does take shape - it backfires as players don't respond to the coach's coaching.

It is still too early to definitively conclude how things will go with Wojo, but, I'm far less optimistic than I was October 1st.

I have NO DOUBT Wojo puts on a great executive appearance and demeanor at the admin level.  Hell, he looks like a CEO.  Yet, my concern is basketball isn't the business world, and you need a coach with some charisma and street smarts to generally be successful.  I just don't see that charisma in Wojo.

I'll point to November's NLI date.  But no doubt there's been growing pains since then and we're all unhappy where things stand right now.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2015, 11:36:24 AM »
I see a hard working, tough as nails type of personality.  Charisma, he is not Buzz or Al, but probably work his ass off to succeed.  No different than the type of coaches we have had in the past. You take assistants and make them head coaches they will have the desire to succeed.  Failure is not an option as they do have families and I am sure love the money they are getting to coach basketball.  If you can not succeed at MU after Crean, Buzz and Kevin O'Neal have, you might be a failure.  The amount of money MU throws around the basketball program, I can not see how you can fail.  Look at Wojo's staff, love the ex players he has.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »
Why the hell does it matter whether or not Minnesota is recruiting the kid? Maybe Little Ricky has a poor eye for talent. Maybe Amin doesn't fit the hole(s) he's trying to fill (i.e. he need a post player or a point guard).

This obsession with whether or not Minnesota is recruiting the kid is just plain weird. There's no reason to believe at this point that Wojo and his staff are incapable of identifying talented players.

Don't forget DePaul took Imari Sawyer over Dwyane Wade.  Wade badly wanted to be a Blue Demon.  Oops.  Even Crean had to settle for Wade after missing out on his top target Desmon Farmer.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2015, 11:39:01 AM »
I also don't think for a second Burton and Dawson were bad character kids

Yet, my concern is basketball isn't the business world, and you need a coach with some charisma and street smarts to generally be successful. I just don't see that charisma in Wojo.

1) Nobody said that.

2) Not even sure what this means. The guy who led MU to its last Final Four has zero charisma.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2015, 11:45:57 AM »
1) Nobody said that.

2) Not even sure what this means. The guy who led MU to its last Final Four has zero charisma.

1) I'm aware of that - wrote that in response to the notion that you can't have the tail wagging the dog, and the notion of establishing your culture.  Burton and Dawson were hard working, high character kids - and Wojo's culture didn't connect/jive for them.  So be it - just pointing that out.

2) Tom Crean at that stage had far more charisma than does Steve Wojo at present or ever will.

Honest question:  Before Wojo was hired as our head coach - who EVER liked the guy as a player or as a Duke assistant?? 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2015, 11:47:13 AM »
I just don't see that charisma in Wojo.

Coach K is literally Mr. Charisma.
And Nick Saban seems like a fun guy.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2015, 11:48:50 AM »
Coach K is literally Mr. Charisma.
And Nick Saban seems like a fun guy.

Saban is a closer on the recruiting trail - guy seals deals with his charisma.

As for Coach K - can't argue that one - not a very charismatic guy.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2015, 11:53:20 AM »
Saban is a closer on the recruiting trail - guy seals deals with his charisma.

As for Coach K - can't argue that one - not a very charismatic guy.

Saban closes on the recruiting trail because he has a proven record of 1) winning and 2) getting his players into the NFL (16 of his Bama players have been first-round picks). It has zero to do with charisma.
The guy has the personality of a rock. A very surly, Little Debbie-loving rock.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2015, 11:57:23 AM »
Bobby Knight, Jim Boeheim, Thad Matta, John Wooden, Lute Olson.......yep...lots of charisma in those great coaches....

Anybody trying to evaluate Wojo at this juncture is just being silly......give him some time........

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
Honest question:  Before Wojo was hired as our head coach - who EVER liked the guy as a player or as a Duke assistant?? 

This is a good point, but I would honestly attribute it to (at least personally) to more of a dislike of Duke than anything.  I just really didn't like anything Duke related.

But I really don't see the lack of charisma you are talking about here.  I've seen Wojo quite animated several times on the sidelines including giving some ridiculously emphatic fist pumps after a great play.  I was hoping there were some youtube videos I could find, but search ended up empty.

He's no Buzz walking it out on the sideline, but to say he isn't charismatic, especially from the floor-slapping guy he was, seems a bit of a stretch to me.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2015, 12:18:33 PM »

Jabari Parker

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2015, 12:24:36 PM »
I'd be more comfortable today if that number was 1.

I think it was 1. I think that was the plan. We had 1 open before Burton and Dawson transferred. I think Wojo knew Dawson was a possibility, that's why he was checking in on some jucos in November. Then Burton transferred. So Wojo looked at more jucos, Council, and Anim. Now Noskowiak is gone. So Wojo has to recruit more. I'm not sure what else Wojo could have done in the mean time. Very few recruits sign in December, January, and February.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2015, 12:25:07 PM »

At least somebody here gets it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2015, 12:27:38 PM »

Or Wisconsin.  Or the blue bloods.  Or whoever.  Buncha chicken littles in here.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter