'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Maurice O'Field - 2015 - 6'5" SF from Midland College  (Read 73299 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Maurice O'Field - 2015 - 6'5" SF from Midland College
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2015, 08:47:46 PM »
I was charismatic once.  In the old days.  And look how successful it all turned out for me.

I'd rather talk softly and have a big stick, or somethin' like that, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2015, 09:30:42 PM »
One is not like the other:  Indiana, Syracuse, Ohio State, UCLA, Arizona, Marquette.

Marquette is the only one who hasn't been on major NCAA basketball probation.  The mods are hairy wet cats.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:28:16 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2015, 11:20:44 PM »
Style over substance.  I think that's a pretty decent diagnosis.

I like the substance that shows up in box scores - not the style points some seem to award for "knowing his role," and "playing within himself."

Hmm.  Just who here is more about style than substance? 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2015, 11:36:30 PM »
Marquette is the only one who hasn't been on major NCAA basketball probation.  The mods are hairy wet cats.

And Marquette is the only one that isn't a BCS school with a student body of 25,000+.  And not sure why you are bent on my posts - I'm far from a Badger fan.  And I find it odd you take issue with the Mods as you too been writing cryptic, yet critical assessments of our season and coach this year.  I guess I'm just a lot more blunt and candid.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2015, 05:22:46 AM »
And Marquette is the only one that isn't a BCS school with a student body of 25,000+.  And not sure why you are bent on my posts - I'm far from a Badger fan.  And I find it odd you take issue with the Mods as you too been writing cryptic, yet critical assessments of our season and coach this year.  I guess I'm just a lot more blunt and candid.

Lol. The mods are having fun autocorrecting certain words. So I am having fun back with them. Type in "ai na" and you will have your answer. Be careful, maybe "Derrick Wilson" may one day become "John the Baptist".
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:29:02 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2015, 08:16:24 AM »
Lol. The mods are having fun autocorrecting certain words. So I am having fun back with them. Type in "ai na" and you will have your answer. Be careful, maybe "Derrick Wilson" may one day become "John the Baptist".

right

EDIT: Lol, I love it
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2015, 08:38:56 AM »
And Marquette is the only one that isn't a BCS school with a student body of 25,000+

I don't think Mu is the only one.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2015, 08:47:40 AM »
I like the substance that shows up in box scores - not the style points some seem to award for "knowing his role," and "playing within himself."

Hmm.  Just who here is more about style than substance? 

"Knowing your role" and "playing within himself" are both substantive actions. Both have a firm basis in reality. Both have a meaningful existence. That's the definition of substantive. Thus, what you consider "style" is actually the very definition of "substance".

I realize you're deeply hurt that a guy you bought in to every word he spoke abandoned you in the middle of the night. I realize your lofty hope of a Final Four berth within Buzz' first five years never came to fruition. I realize your distaste for the current coach is born and bred solely out of your immature way of dealing with the fact that Buzz left Marquette. Even with those realizations, man do you annoy the crap out of people with your repetitively pointless drivel.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2015, 10:46:09 AM »
"Knowing your role" and "playing within himself" are both substantive actions. Both have a firm basis in reality. Both have a meaningful existence. That's the definition of substantive. Thus, what you consider "style" is actually the very definition of "substance".

I realize you're deeply hurt that a guy you bought in to every word he spoke abandoned you in the middle of the night. I realize your lofty hope of a Final Four berth within Buzz' first five years never came to fruition. I realize your distaste for the current coach is born and bred solely out of your immature way of dealing with the fact that Buzz left Marquette. Even with those realizations, man do you annoy the crap out of people with your repetitively pointless accurate drivel.

Fixed it for you and the others here in denial of reality.

Also, when playing within oneself if a function of ultimately not being able to play and perform the vast majority of the requisite duties of the position - it really isn't substantive.  What it is, is puff/spin, and an excuse for piss poor production.  That said I'm sure you are a portrait of the guy who knows his role and works within himself to an amazing level of mediocrity.

And not sure where you have been the last year - but I bailed on Buzz last season by mid January.  And my distaste for the current coach has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Buzz Williams leaving MU.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2015, 01:10:59 PM »
Ners, you are missing your calling.  There are so many other programs that could use your incredible knowledge and counsel.  Seek one out and lead them to prosperity.  I can't speak for the board, but we'll try to get by.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2015, 04:47:21 PM »
Starting to like our chances here. Gonzaga is also in on him and probably the stiffest competition. O'Field went for 31 in front of Wojo the other night. Not a great three point shooter so we'll probably still need a guy that can hit from range even if we land O'Field.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2015, 04:52:39 PM »
Starting to like our chances here. Gonzaga is also in on him and probably the stiffest competition. O'Field went for 31 in front of Wojo the other night. Not a great three point shooter so we'll probably still need a guy that can hit from range even if we land O'Field.

I like it. Any rumblings specifically point you that way?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2015, 04:59:01 PM »
I like it. Any rumblings specifically point you that way?

Sounds like Maryland is looking elsewhere, which was the school that seemed the biggest competition. O'Field said recently he is considering visiting Marquette, Gonzaga, Buffalo (Bobby Hurley), and Louisiana Tech. Wojo watching him indicates he's a priority, haven't heard of many other JUCO kids he visited himself.

One thing I really like is his 3 years of eligibility. In addition, he sat out last year at ETSU, so he doesn't have a transfer year to burn. Seems like he'll actually attend the school he chooses at this point. Staff needs to make sure his academics are in order, though he has said he's worked hard to get academically eligible and it's easier to get a third year sophomore on track to graduate than a third year junior.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2015, 05:15:53 PM »
Sounds like Maryland is looking elsewhere, which was the school that seemed the biggest competition. O'Field said recently he is considering visiting Marquette, Gonzaga, Buffalo (Bobby Hurley), and Louisiana Tech. Wojo watching him indicates he's a priority, haven't heard of many other JUCO kids he visited himself.

One thing I really like is his 3 years of eligibility. In addition, he sat out last year at ETSU, so he doesn't have a transfer year to burn. Seems like he'll actually attend the school he chooses at this point. Staff needs to make sure his academics are in order, though he has said he's worked hard to get academically eligible and it's easier to get a third year sophomore on track to graduate than a third year junior.

3 years of eligibility would put him in Sandy's class.  Would be good to help provide some balance.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2015, 05:29:16 PM »
I like the idea of O'Field and Anim, but Wojo needs a couple 3-point threats if he's going to run anything close to the offense he favors.

Duke beat UNC in that great game last night not because of Okafor but because the Dookies had a huge advantage over UNC from 3-point land.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2015, 05:31:18 PM »
I like the idea of O'Field and Anim, but Wojo needs a couple 3-point threats if he's going to run anything close to the offense he favors.

Duke beat UNC in that great game last night not because of Okafor but because the Dookies had a huge advantage over UNC from 3-point land.

Do Henry Ellenson and Haanif Cheatham qualify as 3 point threats?
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »
Do Henry Ellenson and Haanif Cheatham qualify as 3 point threats?
from what I've heard and read cheathem yes

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2015, 06:36:59 PM »

Jucorecruiting headline with picture of Wojo.

"JUCO Insider: Marquette involved with a handful of the top 2015 JUCO prospects. Turning up the heat on top JC guards"

I don't have access to the article.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2015, 06:38:15 PM »
O'Field is a little bulky, and as I have said, we need a little more size and toughness across the board.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2015, 07:08:26 PM »
I don't have an issue with someone trying to establish their program's identity.  I also don't think for a second Burton and Dawson were bad character kids, and not hard working - just a different personality type than Wojo.

Furthermore, every coach starts and begins his position speaking of establishing their culture and identity - it is coach speak - yet frequently it never takes shape, or as it does take shape - it backfires as players don't respond to the coach's coaching.

It is still too early to definitively conclude how things will go with Wojo, but, I'm far less optimistic than I was October 1st.

I have NO DOUBT Wojo puts on a great executive appearance and demeanor at the admin level.  Hell, he looks like a CEO.  Yet, my concern is basketball isn't the business world, and you need a coach with some charisma and street smarts to generally be successful.  I just don't see that charisma in Wojo.
As you point ou, Wojo now has to recruit based on his performance and new reputation. I think it will be far more difficult given his array of rookie mistakes.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2015, 07:54:38 PM »
O'Field is a little bulky, and as I have said, we need a little more size and toughness across the board.

I cringed when I read that he's a great athlete but needs to develop his jump shot.  Haven't we seen this movie before?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2015, 08:25:52 PM »
I cringed when I read that he's a great athlete but needs to develop his jump shot.  Haven't we seen this movie before?

D Wade?

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2015, 08:26:57 PM »
If he's DWade-like sign him up Wojo!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MU82

• All American
« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2015, 09:58:37 PM »
As you point ou, Wojo now has to recruit based on his performance and new reputation. I think it will be far more difficult given his array of rookie mistakes.

I think we are doomed. Doomed, I say.

If you and Ners say it, it must be so!

I am officially ending my Marquette fandom to start rooting for the Banana Slugs of UC-Santa Cruz. I mean, why stick with the worst coach in college basketball and his team of misfits?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2015, 08:22:03 AM »
If it makes you feel better, TW isn't really a fan of Marquette basketball.  He is a guy with an agenda.  One that Ners has fallen for hook, line and sinker.

That is why neither is terribly reputable at this point and rightfully should be ignored.

feedback