[Today at 12:40:07 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Maurice O'Field - 2015 - 6'5" SF from Midland College  (Read 73479 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Maurice O'Field - 2015 - 6'5" SF from Midland College
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2015, 12:28:59 PM »
2) Tom Crean at that stage had far more charisma than does Steve Wojo at present or ever will.

Honest question:  Before Wojo was hired as our head coach - who EVER liked the guy as a player or as a Duke assistant?? 

Do you go with Wojo on recruiting trips? Have you even met him before? How the flying f*ck do you know how charismatic he is?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2015, 12:30:42 PM »
Bobby Knight, Jim Boeheim, Thad Matta, John Wooden, Lute Olson.......yep...lots of charisma in those great coaches....

Anybody trying to evaluate Wojo at this juncture is just being silly......give him some time........

Good to see someone else gets it too.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2015, 12:34:01 PM »
Do you go with Wojo on recruiting trips? Have you even met him before? How the flying f*ck do you know how charismatic he is?

I've seen him interviewed.  Listened to his radio show.  He's a square.  Nothing wrong with that.  Lots of successful squares in this world.  Usually though in more scientific/empirical types of positions.

Coach K is a sqaure, and he's won more games than any other college basketball coach.  It by no means excludes one from being successful in the coaching profession.  

Yet I feel in college basketball you need a coach with some panache and charisma at a school like Marquette that has its share of recruiting challenges.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2015, 12:36:18 PM »
Good to see someone else gets it too.

Wades - You are all bullish on Wojo.  And you are a Crean hater - so - let's make a wager - $500.

I say Crean's first 5 years on the job are better than Wojo's - and Crean came into a much tougher situation at MU.

Care to put your money where your mouth is?  Is 5 years enough time? Or do we need more for Wojo?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2015, 12:37:14 PM »
Bobby Knight, Jim Boeheim, Thad Matta, John Wooden, Lute Olson.......yep...lots of charisma in those great coaches....

Anybody trying to evaluate Wojo at this juncture is just being silly......give him some time........

One is not like the other:  Indiana, Syracuse, Ohio State, UCLA, Arizona, Marquette.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2015, 12:42:30 PM »
This board is ridiculous.  Somehow the fact that Deonte Burton's mom died and Noskowiak had some type of domestic situation blow up means that Wojo is not charismatic enough to bring in top recruits?  That is just asinine. 

We don't need to ramp up every rough patch to Hiroshima.  Maybe give the coach who has already landed the highest rated Marquette recruit in 30 years a full off-season before you throw him under the bus. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
One is not like the other:  Indiana, Syracuse, Ohio State, UCLA, Arizona, Marquette.

Cuse? Indiana?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »
This board is ridiculous.  Somehow the fact that Deonte Burton's mom died and Noskowiak had some type of domestic situation blow up means that Wojo is not charismatic enough to bring in top recruits?  That is just asinine. 

We don't need to ramp up every rough patch to Hiroshima.  Maybe give the coach who has already landed the highest rated Marquette recruit in 30 years a full off-season before you throw him under the bus. 

I personally don't put Nick leaving on Wojo.  Burton?  Absolutely.  Deonte did NOT leave MU exclusively because of the passing of his Mom.  The primary reason:  He wasn't happy with his role...AT ALL.

We'll see how Wojo recruits now that he has a full year of coaching under his belt and a Win/Loss record to contend with.  Hopefully he can still reel in Top 100 talent moving forward.

These 4 open scholarships are critical to the future of the program under Wojo.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2015, 12:55:08 PM »
I personally don't put Nick leaving on Wojo.  Burton?  Absolutely.  Deonte did NOT leave MU exclusively because of the passing of his Mom.  The primary reason:  He wasn't happy with his role...AT ALL.

We'll see how Wojo recruits now that he has a full year of coaching under his belt and a Win/Loss record to contend with.  Hopefully he can still reel in Top 100 talent moving forward.

I don't see how the fact that Burton was unhappy with his role leads to the conclusion that it is Wojo's fault he left.  It isn't a coach's job to make sure everyone is happy. 

Every scholarship is "critical" in a certain sense, but Marquette will be fine even if we have to bank a schollie or two.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2015, 01:04:05 PM »
So, how about that Maurice O'Field?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2015, 01:12:48 PM »
This board is ridiculous. 

No, just a couple of people. And those that get sucked in to responding to the ever changing asinine narrative.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2015, 01:16:49 PM »
What are th program's biggest recruiting obstacles? I honestly dont know which is why I am asking...

Conference affiliation is solid.
Facilities are in line with most top 25 programs.
Playing in an NBA arena isnt necessarily a bad thing (I dont support the claim that it's an advantage, though).
I dont think academics interfere with recruiting.
Good fanbase with above average attendance.
I'd imagine the Nike contract provides players with an adequate amount of shoes/gear that is in-line with other contracts.

The only thing that comes to mind is the fact that we dont have a top-tier national reputation. Maybe that is the end-all, be-all?

So what else?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2015, 01:18:48 PM »
What are th program's biggest recruiting obstacles? I honestly dont know which is why I am asking...

Conference affiliation is solid.
Facilities are in line with most top 25 programs.
Playing in an NBA arena isnt necessarily a bad thing (I dont support the claim that it's an advantage, though).
I dont think academics interfere with recruiting.
Good fanbase with above average attendance.
I'd imagine the Nike contract provides players with an adequate amount of shoes/gear that is in-line with other contracts.

The only thing that comes to mind is the fact that we dont have a top-tier national reputation. Maybe that is the end-all, be-all?

So what else?

I think having NBA teams practice at the Al when they're in town to play the Bucks is a bigger deal than playing in the same building as the Bucks.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2015, 01:19:37 PM »
No, just a couple of people. And those that get sucked in to responding to the ever changing asinine narrative.

I agree. I'll see what I can do to avoid gettin sucked into the ridiculous narrative approximately 10 avid posters have here.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2015, 01:24:36 PM »
I was charismatic once.  In the old days.  And look how successful it all turned out for me.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2015, 01:34:04 PM »
I've seen him interviewed.  Listened to his radio show.  He's a square.  Nothing wrong with that.  Lots of successful squares in this world.  Usually though in more scientific/empirical types of positions.

Coach K is a sqaure, and he's won more games than any other college basketball coach.  It by no means excludes one from being successful in the coaching profession.  

Yet I feel in college basketball you need a coach with some panache and charisma at a school like Marquette that has its share of recruiting challenges.

The guy before Buzz was a square....he landed some good players.  Hank Raymonds was a square.  Tom Izzo is a square.  Steve Alford.  You are correct, many squares can do just fine.  I just don't agree with your recruiting challenges comment about MU.  We have the 2nd largest budget in DI, all of our games are on national television, wonderful practice facility, basketball only school, 90 miles from Chicago, play in a basketball centric conference.  Yes, the weather isn't great, but plenty of other schools deal with this as well. 

You seem to be making an argument for style over substance

Class71

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2015, 02:19:09 PM »

Ners, I agree fully that Deonte was unhappy with his role. I also think he has tremendous talent and upside. IMO  he simply seems to be uncoachable. Raw talent will not do it at this level. He needs to play as a team and play D. I hope he can learn that at another school but I do have my doubt's that the ego will allow it.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2015, 02:35:42 PM »

Some squares are as they appear - old school and genuine - Wooden, Coach K, even Knight. I think Wojo is like that and I have no problem with that. Other squares are just squirmy guys with little or no personality - Crean, Alford, Matta, etc. They do OK as long as they have something to give away, but if I'm going squirmy at all give me a personality like Al or Buzz over them.

connie

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2015, 02:37:15 PM »
The guy before Buzz was a square....he landed some good players.  Hank Raymonds was a square.  Tom Izzo is a square.  Steve Alford.  You are correct, many squares can do just fine.  I just don't agree with your recruiting challenges comment about MU.  We have the 2nd largest budget in DI, all of our games are on national television, wonderful practice facility, basketball only school, 90 miles from Chicago, play in a basketball centric conference.  Yes, the weather isn't great, but plenty of other schools deal with this as well. 

You seem to be making an argument for style over substance
Style over substance.  I think that's a pretty decent diagnosis.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2015, 02:42:08 PM »
Some squares are as they appear - old school and genuine - Wooden, Coach K, even Knight. I think Wojo is like that and I have no problem with that. Other squares are just squirmy guys with little or no personality - Crean, Alford, Matta, etc. They do OK as long as they have something to give away, but if I'm going squirmy at all give me a personality like Al or Buzz over them.

Matta has only done "ok?" You would take buzz over matta? Wow.

And thank you for defining "squares" - "guys with little to no personality." Haha. That's some hard-hitting analysis.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2015, 02:43:37 PM »

Buzz over Matta?
Hmmm. Not so sure about that.
Heck, I don't think many outside of this place would take Buzz over Crean or Alford, but over Matta?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2015, 02:56:11 PM »
Buzz over Matta?
Hmmm. Not so sure about that.
Heck, I don't think many outside of this place would take Buzz over Crean or Alford, but over Matta?

Shouldn't have included Matta. His record clearly surpasses Buzz's. I stand by my opinions of Crean and Alford.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2015, 03:01:29 PM »
Style over substance.  I think that's a pretty decent diagnosis.
It also appears to be his methodology for how many minutes he thinks players should be promised.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2015, 03:23:59 PM »
Good thing Ners is not the AD. We would be going through new coaches every year if they don't give minutes to the players he think should play.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2015, 08:46:16 PM »
So, how about that Maurice O'Field?

Who?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback