Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Have To Tell It Like It is  (Read 82805 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Have To Tell It Like It is
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2014, 09:20:59 PM »
I never said that. I said he is inexperienced, we are going to go through growing pains as a result of not only the players inexperience but also his. Since he is older and more experience my disappointment lies with him and not the players.

You said "He should have been upfront and honest with [John]."  That's saying he wasn't honest - calling him a liar.  Stop backpeddling and take the critique of your words.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2014, 09:21:12 PM »
If you want to go down that road, go look at the game numbers for some of the guys who were getting PT.  They weren't exactly lighting the hardwood on fire.  At what point do you need to produce on the floor during games to continue to "earn" that playing time???

Whether that is Derrick, JJJ, Cohen...but all got opportunity.  When you can't get any opportunity whatsoever to show what you can do in games, what the hell is the point in sticking around.  YOu may not like Dawson as a player, which is totally fine, but he certainly wasn't totally and completely overmatched as a freshman playing in the Big East.  He'll only get better.  The fundamentals are there for him to be a very good player.

Never mind that two coaches have planted him to the bench. He's not a high major player.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2014, 09:21:19 PM »
Can we get back to the part about how Deonte was demoted a month before any games were played? And how said demotion involved him playing about 30 percent more MPG than he did a year ago?
The expectation that Deonte realistically had was that he was going to be a major factor on the team.  It is all related to management of expectations. I believe that is an important part of coaching.

I felt that those expectations could have been bridged in a more effective way for Deonte and frankly for the team.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2014, 09:21:49 PM »
If you want to go down that road, go look at the game numbers for some of the guys who were getting PT.  They weren't exactly lighting the hardwood on fire.  At what point do you need to produce on the floor during games to continue to "earn" that playing time???

We've been through the numbers a million times already here. Without yet another tired rehash, we all know they're not nearly as disparate as you insinuate, and in many ways they make the case for DW over Dawson.

That said, to take you position here, you have to believe that two very competitive high-major college basketball coaches are intentionally sabotaging their team's chances of success by sitting the guy everybody knows is superior. And for what reason exactly? To spite Dawson, who by all accounts is a good, well-liked kid?
This, to you, is more logical than simply "The coaches don't think Dawson is the best option?"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2014, 09:23:01 PM »
Go F YOURSELF

LOL.  That's great.  Sensitive much?  Follow the thread, and you won't need to look like an idiot that needs to have his sarcasm set straight.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2014, 09:24:04 PM »
You said "He should have been upfront and honest with [John]."  That's saying he wasn't honest - calling him a liar.  Stop backpeddling and take the critique of your words.

In this case, I felt he could have let John prior to the season. When Todd left he was short handed and needed a safety valve on the bench. I just dont think you treat kids that way.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2014, 09:25:11 PM »
The expectation that Deonte realistically had was that he was going to be a major factor on the team.  It is all related to management of expectations. I believe that is an important part of coaching.

I felt that those expectations could have been bridged in a more effective way for Deonte and frankly for the team.

OK, again, do you know what was said to Deonte and Dawson?  (I'm not asking *how* you know...)

I mean if you do, and that he wasn't communicative in the meantime, then I would be inclined to agree with your disappointment.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2014, 09:26:01 PM »
LOL.  That's great.  Sensitive much?  Follow the thread, and you won't need to look like an idiot that needs to have his sarcasm set straight.
it is great. You are a tool.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2014, 09:28:49 PM »
We've been through the numbers a million times already here. Without yet another tired rehash, we all know they're not nearly as disparate as you insinuate, and in many ways they make the case for DW over Dawson.

That said, to take you position here, you have to believe that two very competitive high-major college basketball coaches are intentionally sabotaging their team's chances of success by sitting the guy everybody knows is superior. And for what reason exactly? To spite Dawson, who by all accounts is a good, well-liked kid?
This, to you, is more logical than simply "The coaches don't think Dawson is the best option?"

Ding Ding Ding. Pretty much sums it up.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2014, 09:29:20 PM »
In this case, I felt he could have let John prior to the season. When Todd left he was short handed and needed a safety valve on the bench. I just dont think you treat kids that way.

So he knew exactly what he had before the season even started?  Really?  

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2014, 09:29:23 PM »

Wojo "demoted" Deonte by not giving him the minutes he expected? That's your explanation?
Here's what we know .... Deonte was getting more playing time this year than last despite not showing any improvement or growth in his game (shooting percentage down, 3-pt percentage down, rebounding down, assists down, turnovers up, fouls up, still lost on D).
But your position is that he should have been given even more playing time - screw playing the more productive guys - because, in your mind, he expected it?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2014, 09:33:06 PM »
it is great. You are a tool.

A review of your posts illustrates you have NO business calling anyone a tool. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »

OK, again, do you know what was said to Deonte and Dawson?  (I'm not asking *how* you know...)

I mean if you do, and that he wasn't communicative in the meantime, then I would be inclined to agree with your disappointment.
Yes I do know. That is why I am disappointed. I have been in plenty of meetings with Athletic staff and parents over the years and the phrase they always use is they are there "In Loco Parentis". I truly believe these two kids were let down in that regard.

Deonte is an exceptionally hard working kid. As high a quality kid as any on the team.

The team will rally and get over it, but I think  a more experienced coach would have been able to make his way through the season with these two kids.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2014, 09:39:45 PM »
Yes I do know. That is why I am disappointed. I have been in plenty of meetings with Athletic staff and parents over the years and the phrase they always use is they are there "In Loco Parentis". I truly believe these two kids were let down in that regard.

So what did he say to them?  We're you in the room at the time?  Not asking for any "source," but if it's "someone old me that Wojo told John," then you don't know more than the rest of us.  If you were in the room and heard it, that's very different.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2014, 09:40:02 PM »
Wojo "demoted" Deonte by not giving him the minutes he expected? That's your explanation?
Here's what we know .... Deonte was getting more playing time this year than last despite not showing any improvement or growth in his game (shooting percentage down, 3-pt percentage down, rebounding down, assists down, turnovers up, fouls up, still lost on D).
But your position is that he should have been given even more playing time - screw playing the more productive guys - because, in your mind, he expected it?

This team is 4-4.  Let's not act like it's full of guys more deserving.

THE TEAM WAS SO BAD DEFENSIVELY WOJO WENT TO A ZONE.

A player like Deonte is different from Ners argument regarding Dawson.  I think Burton should have gotten a good 8-10 run in the first half and adjust his playing time the remainder of the game based on how the shots are falling.  He's not much different in that regard to Carlino - a poor shot selection, poor defensive player who CAN fill up the stat sheet.  If Deonte looked lost in that initial stretch then definitely limit his minutes, but if he's on and making plays like he's capable of then let him do what he does best and contribute offensively.

JJJ, Derrick, Steve and Juan all have bricked their share of bunnies while non have looked any better than average defending this season.  If you have a talented, yet inconsistant scoring threat I think it's in the best interest of the team to make sure he's given a chance to get into a groove.

Burton's minutes could have been handled better even if his overall minute total wasn't that drastically different.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »
Good post Texas Western.

The kiss of death.....when you get the approval from DuaneWade you need to reconsider your position.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2014, 09:41:04 PM »

First I don't think there were more productive guys. Yes some guys had some moments. But no one consistently solid. The only thing limiting his time should have been fouls. I think anytime you reduce the role of a kid who was built up to be a star it is going to be difficult, through in a death of a parent and it becomes flammable. That is what happened here.

It is easy for us to say if he would have been patient and earned his time etc. It just wasnt managed well given the specifics.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2014, 09:42:39 PM »
This team is 4-4.  Let's not act like it's full of guys more deserving.

THE TEAM WAS SO BAD DEFENSIVELY WOJO WENT TO A ZONE.

A player like Deonte is different from Ners argument regarding Dawson.  I think Burton should have gotten a good 8-10 run in the first half and adjust his playing time the remainder of the game based on how the shots are falling.  He's not much different in that regard to Carlino - a poor shot selection, poor defensive player who CAN fill up the stat sheet.  If Deonte looked lost in that initial stretch then definitely limit his minutes, but if he's on and making plays like he's capable of then let him do what he does best and contribute offensively.

JJJ, Derrick, Steve and Juan all have bricked their share of bunnies while non have looked any better than average defending this season.  If you have a talented, yet inconsistant scoring threat I think it's in the best interest of the team to make sure he's given a chance to get into a groove.

Burton's minutes could have been handled better even if his overall minute total wasn't that drastically different.
You have stated my view regarding Burton very well.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2014, 09:42:45 PM »
Deonte is an exceptionally hard working kid. As high a quality kid as any on the team.

Good kid, but "exceptionally hard working" has never been used to describe him in basketball terms.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2014, 09:43:55 PM »

The team will rally and get over it, but I think  a more experienced coach would have been able to make his way through the season with these two kids.

ok...then let's say he/wojo placates deonte and dawson this year by throwing them just enough bones to keep them around for this year.  then next year he pulls the rug out and...?  you would feel much better about wojo then?  just wondering
don't...don't don't don't don't

mug644

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2014, 09:44:41 PM »

On the one hand, plenty of people (including ESPN) labelled Deonte as a potential breakout candidate/star this season. But, this was almost exclusively based on his offensive potential. The reality seemed to be, though, that Buzz limited Deonte somewhat last year based on his defensive liabilities. Maybe we shouldn't be surprised that Wojo (a floor-slapping defender), placed even greater emphasis on defense, especially when he seems to have more offensive weapons (I use that lightly) this year than Buzz had last year.

So, with all the talk about Deonte being a potential breakout player, I can definitely imagine him anticipating a bigger role. But, if his new coach emphasizes defense and Deonte doesn't seem to improve his defense, well, I'm not surprised that he didn't get more time. Add on to that that his performance and attention may understandably have been impacted by his mother's death.

So, for me, I can see why it wasn't working out from Wojo's perspective and I can see that Deonte could easily be frustrated and wants to look for greener pastures.

Best wishes to both Deonte and John.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2014, 09:45:49 PM »
A review of your posts illustrates you have NO business calling anyone a tool. 
LOLOL. A review of your posts reveals possible dimentia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »

Well if you truly do know, then I can see why you would be disappointed.

I mean it is interesting when you go back to when he had his press conference and turned around to the players.  It was a nice moment at the time, but I wonder if he knew exactly what his words meant at the time.  Would he do it differently now?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2014, 10:16:08 PM »
LOLOL. A review of your posts reveals possible dimentia.

A review of this post reveals if you are going to try to talk smack, at least know how to spell the freaking word:  D-E-M-E-N-T-I-A

You are good at throwing out insults to a lot of posters in your 69 posts here.  Hurled a bunch of nice "names" at people in a very limited post history. 

Carry on. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2014, 10:27:40 PM »

I didn't ask you to reveal sources.  So you are saying that you have talked to someone with knowledge of the situation who believes that one, or both, of the transfers were not handled appropriately?

Of course he won't answer this simple yes or no question.  Because it's obvious.  He is fine with insinuating that he has knowledge but when called out, he fades back into the bushes and moves on to the next post that he can vaguely answer and push his agenda.

feedback