[Today at 01:41:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Have To Tell It Like It is  (Read 82801 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Have To Tell It Like It is
« on: December 09, 2014, 08:24:37 PM »
I have to tell it like it is.

I am deeply disappointed in Coach Wojo right now. Common Sense was not used at all this year in his treatment of either Deonte or John. Deonte was a kid who had a solid first season, was a pillar of our future plans and by all accounts was a good student and kid. His mother passes away two days before the start of the season. So obviously the young man is stressed at a very vulnerable point in his life. Why throw fuel on the fire and demote him. Just doesn't make sense and unnecessarily created additional stress for the kid. He could of easily been given 21-22 minutes and he would have been fine with the message of you earn more with D. Wojo had to understand how tight this group of young men are. They treat each other like brothers. He has messed up the family.

Wasting a year of Johns eligibility was not the right thing to do either. He should have been upfront and honest with that kid.

I think Wojo is a very inexperienced guy. I listen to some of his hyperbole and it tells me that. Today's actions tell me there are going to be a lot of growing pains with him.

The Sun will rise again tomorrow. Kids don't always understand and it is the coaches duty to be there for them through the tough times.

I don't believe student athletes are fungible.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Have To Tell It Like It is
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 08:29:14 PM »
I was fine when you started out "telling like it is" which indicates a brutal truth is about to be delivered.

Then you basically stated that Wojo was dishonest with John Dawson and Wojo wasted a year of his eligibility.  So you have first hand knowledge of him being dishonest with Dawson?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 08:34:03 PM »
I agree that Wojo has a learning curve.   It was impossible to get a feel for John, but I can't agree with your argument that Deonte should have gotten more playing time.    I didn't see anything from him that warranted more time.  Personally, I was willing to cut him slack because of his mom and I think in another year with a full roster, he might have just taken a leave of absence.   But it wasn't possible.

There is almost always turnover when a new coach comes in.   It just usually happens sooner.   When Buzz took over for Crean, Scott and Trevor left.   Part of life, I accept it.    Where Buzz had it over Wojo is that he had a whole lot of contacts in the JUCO world where he could sign kids who were ready immediately.   Wojo doesn't have that network and doesn't want to go that way.   He wants to go the Duke way.   Fine.  He is the coach and I accept that.   The normal coaching change turnover, combined with Wojo sticking resolutely to his plan means that MU is shorthanded.    A couple of more things go wrong, this season could get ugly.  

Chill, accept, look for signs of growth from those who remain.  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:36:42 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »
I have to tell it like it is.

I am deeply disappointed in Coach Wojo right now. Common Sense was not used at all this year in his treatment of either Deonte or John. Deonte was a kid who had a solid first season, was a pillar of our future plans and by all accounts was a good student and kid. His mother passes away two days before the start of the season. So obviously the young man is stressed at a very vulnerable point in his life. Why throw fuel on the fire and demote him. Just doesn't make sense and unnecessarily created additional stress for the kid. He could of easily been given 21-22 minutes and he would have been fine with the message of you earn more with D. Wojo had to understand how tight this group of young men are. They treat each other like brothers. He has messed up the family.

Wasting a year of Johns eligibility was not the right thing to do either. He should have been upfront and honest with that kid.

I think Wojo is a very inexperienced guy. I listen to some of his hyperbole and it tells me that. Today's actions tell me there are going to be a lot of growing pains with him.

The Sun will rise again tomorrow. Kids don't always understand and it is the coaches duty to be there for them through the tough times.

I don't believe student athletes are fungible.

How exactly do you demote a kid in October, before any games are played?
Or do you think he was demoted from backup who played 12.6 minutes per game last year to a backup who played 16.1 minutes per game this year?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 08:36:13 PM »
I was fine when you started out "telling like it is" which indicates a brutal truth is about to be delivered.

Then you basically stated that Wojo was dishonest with John Dawson and Wojo wasted a year of his eligibility.  So you have first hand knowledge of him being dishonest with Dawson?

That's exactly what I don't understand with posts like this and Ners crap.  They insinuate that they know things, but what they are pushing is pure conjecture without a shred of evidence.  I'm glad that they both bought the mat that Tom Symkowski was trying to sell in Office Space, but shouldn't arguments like that be called what they are?  

MuMark

• All American

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 08:40:28 PM »
How exactly do you demote a kid in October, before any games are played?
Or do you think he was demoted from backup who played 12.6 minutes per game last year to a backup who played 16.1 minutes per game this year?

This.

I think its kind of disturbing that he thinks that Wojo should have given him 5 or 6 extra minutes per game because his mother died.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 08:42:50 PM »

This.

I think its kind of disturbing that he thinks that Wojo should have given him 5 or 6 extra minutes per game because his mother died.

What a douchey post.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »
That's exactly what I don't understand with posts like this and Ners crap.  They insinuate that they know things, but what they are pushing is pure conjecture without a shred of evidence.  I'm glad that they both bought the mat that Tom Symkowski was trying to sell in Office Space, but shouldn't arguments like that be called what they are?  

Obscure, but well played.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 08:45:12 PM »
Wow.  Eight games in, and we already have someone accusing our coach of being an unethical liar.

Could be a new Scoop low.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 08:45:59 PM »
What a douchey post.

That's exactly what he said...

"His mother passes away two days before the start of the season. So obviously the young man is stressed at a very vulnerable point in his life. Why throw fuel on the fire and demote him. Just doesn't make sense and unnecessarily created additional stress for the kid. He could of easily been given 21-22 minutes..."

Since he was getting 16 mpg, that means he thinks he should have gotten 5 or 6 extra minutes because he was stressed because his mother died.

Not hard to interpret what he said if you have some reading comprehension and deductive skills.  (Granted, not sure you have either.)

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 08:46:11 PM »

I wasn't going out on a limb when I said Wojo essentially was encouraging a transfer with regard to Dawson.  It was obvious that's what was going on - and to think otherwise is to be incredibly naive with regard to how high major coaches operate.   Hell Wojo in the Journal told Matt V he "wasn't surprised by the transfers."  

I agree with Western that it was pretty amateur of Wojo to essentially burn a year of Dawson's eligibility by having played him 4 minutes this season given that it became clear Wojo wasn't high on him as a player.  There were NO character/attitude/effort problems with John, and when it boils down to it, Buzz played Dawson meaningful minutes last season, and chose to play him ahead of JJJ.

If you are Dawson, would you too not be inclined to want to see what you can do elsewhere - given that you showed some ability to compete at this level as a freshman?  Combine that with the fact that the veteran you have sat behind for 1 year and now this first semester has had their fair share of struggles/limited production?

As for Deonte - Though his minutes increased by 4 per game, given the complexion of the current roster, I have NO doubt he would have anticipated a bigger role.  Have no doubt Wojo was trying to coax out of Deonte a more well rounded game, yet feel he almost in some ways coached Deonte out of what he did/does best:  Attack, attack, attack.  Would have liked to have seen Wojo give Deonte more time this season, as the talent is absolutely there, and feel that eventually would have been rewarded.  Instead, Deonte became frustrated and felt it best to move on.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 08:48:51 PM »
I wasn't going out on a limb when I said Wojo essentially was encouraging a transfer with regard to Dawson.  It was obvious that's what was going on - and to think otherwise is to be incredibly naive with regard to how high major coaches operate.   Hell Wojo in the Journal told Matt V he "wasn't surprised by the transfers."  

I agree with Western that it was pretty amateur of Wojo to essentially burn a year of Dawson's eligibility by having played him 4 minutes this season given that it became clear Wojo wasn't high on him as a player.  There were NO character/attitude/effort problems with John, and when it boils down to it, Buzz played Dawson meaningful minutes last season, and chose to play him ahead of JJJ.

If you are Dawson, would you too not be inclined to want to see what you can do elsewhere - given that you showed some ability to compete at this level as a freshman?  Combine that with the fact that the veteran you have sat behind for 1 year and now this first semester has had their fair share of struggles/limited production?

So my question to you is:  would you label above is the brutal truth or would you label it what your guess is what happened?

Big difference.  One suggests undeniable truth the other suggests a person's opinion on a matter.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 08:48:56 PM »
All I will say is everyone seems to feel like don't worry, help is on the way.  Well 6 months ago everyone seemed to think help was nailed to the bench by Buzz.  And while I agree help is on the way, 3 of them are your standard fare Top 100s (we've played that game) and 1 is a guy who may not be here by May 2016.  I was most excited about Henry because it looked like he would be joining an incredibly talented line-up:

PG: Duane
SG: JJJ
SF: Deonte
C: Luke

Obviously only 1 of those guys is gone and Duane looks the part but I am concerned about JJJ and Luke is an unknown.  I just don't want Henry to be our Larry Hughes.  If we get a Top 5 player, I would like to do some damage with him.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 08:51:02 PM »
Good post Texas Western.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 08:51:19 PM »
It is 100%, entirely, clearly evident that some people here just don't have the slightest understanding of how division 1 college athletics work.  And stupid threads are started as a result of this.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:53:22 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 08:51:38 PM »
I believe in Wojo because the opposite -- believing, just 8 games into his Marquette career, that we made a catastrophic hire -- will only make me miserable. And for what? It's not like Wojo is going anywhere anytime soon.

I am a positive person. I also am pretty patient in a situation like the one Wojo walked into.

He has done a good job coaching the team in games -- not great, but I wouldn't have expected great yet.

He has done a great job recruiting -- far exceeding just about anybody's expectations.

I refuse to look at these transfers as an indictment of him or his program. He's barely begun.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 08:52:43 PM »
It is 100%, entirely, clearly evident that some people here just don't the slightest understanding of how division 1 college athletics work.  And stupid threads are started as a result of this.

Amen wadesworld.  This thread and the post that started it is so a--anine it's not worth dignifying with a response.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 08:53:33 PM »
Deonte and John were not recruited by Wojo. Not his type of playa. Nothin' wrong with that. Happens all the time in private industry. New boss comes in, changes are made, and heads roll. Nothin' to see here. Sun comes up tomorrow, next man up.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:55:44 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 08:53:53 PM »
To indict Wojo for these guys leaving is beyond ridiculous.  

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »
It is 100%, entirely, clearly evident that some people here just don't the slightest understanding of how division 1 college athletics work.  And stupid threads are started as a result of this.

No kidding. There has been some stupid sh*t posted here, but that first post might top the list.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 08:55:26 PM »
It is 100%, entirely, clearly evident that some people here just don't have the slightest understanding of how division 1 college athletics work.  And stupid threads are started as a result of this.

Yep.

Good post Texas Western.

And there's the biggest indictment of TW's post yet...

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 08:56:06 PM »
So my question to you is:  would you label above is the brutal truth or would you label it what your guess is what happened?

Big difference.  One suggests undeniable truth the other suggests a person's opinion on a matter.

It is brutal truth.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 08:56:31 PM »
Remember the transfer rumors if Buzz had stayed?    Transfers happen, especially with a new coach.    Talk to me about wojo in 4 years and 25 games.    (The one thing Chico ever said that makes sense.  ;))

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 08:58:12 PM »
It is 100%, entirely, clearly evident that some people here just don't have the slightest understanding of how division 1 college athletics work.  And stupid threads are started as a result of this.
Having two high end D-1 kids I  have a lot of real time experience in the way college athletics works.