Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Have To Tell It Like It is  (Read 82803 times)

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Have To Tell It Like It is
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 08:58:25 PM »
It is brutal truth.

Good to know you are one of the insiders of the program.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 08:58:52 PM »
It is 100%, entirely, clearly evident that some people here just don't have the slightest understanding of how division 1 college athletics work.  And stupid threads are started as a result of this.

Can you give the board - or at least Texas Western - a better idea of how Division 1 college athletics work, and what your qualifications are with regard to experience working or playing within Division 1 athletics?

I'm curious to know also if you feel this was an encouraged transfer with regard to Dawson given your understanding of D-1 College athletics?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 09:00:02 PM »
It is brutal truth.

Neither you nor Texas Western know that.  You are both basically insinuating that Wojo is a liar, unethical, and not worthy of coaching at Marquette.  

Just say that if that's what you believe.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 09:02:47 PM »
Some people respond positively to adversity others do not. Wojo wants players who will learn and grow when the going gets tough. Then there are situations in life that no matter what you do your not going to make it because you just don't have the skill set to succeed at a level your coach, professor or boss expect and it is time to move on. Hard lessons.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 09:04:22 PM »
I've heard John was nailed to the bench because everyone realized John was leaving and the thought was it would be better for John if all he had on his record was those 4 minutes.  The hope is those can be forgiven.  It was Wojo helping John, because let's face it, he could have used him a few times.  I think we have a very fair and decent coach in Wojo.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 09:04:53 PM »
Can you give the board - or at least Texas Western - a better idea of how Division 1 college athletics work, and what your qualifications are with regard to experience working or playing within Division 1 athletics?

I'm curious to know also if you feel this was an encouraged transfer with regard to Dawson given your understanding of D-1 College athletics?

Wadesworld is the most knowledgeable poster around. He knows everything about everything, just ask him and he'll tell you. I think he's one of the great minds of our time  ::)

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 09:05:40 PM »

Neither you nor Texas Western know that.  You are both basically insinuating that Wojo is a liar, unethical, and not worthy of coaching at Marquette.  

I never said that. I said he is inexperienced, we are going to go through growing pains as a result of not only the players inexperience but also his. Since he is older and more experience my disappointment lies with him and not the players.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 09:06:14 PM »

I'm not saying Wojo isn't worthy of coaching at Marquette - nor am I calling him a liar or unethical - or at least no more "unethical" than 90% of high major basketball and football coaches.  Encouraged transfers happen frequently.  However, there are better ways to handle it, than how it was done this time around.

As for calling out a few of the other posters here, you may want to back off as there are a number of posters here who are directly connected (as family) to the kids on the team...as in still on the team...and now off of the team.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 09:07:32 PM »
Deonte and John were not recruited by Wojo. Not his type of playa. Nothin' wrong with that. Happens all the time in private industry. New boss comes in, changes are made, and heads roll. Nothin' to see here. Sun comes up tomorrow, next man up.

Bingo.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 09:07:58 PM »
I've heard John was nailed to the bench because everyone realized John was leaving and the thought was it would be better for John if all he had on his record was those 4 minutes.  The hope is those can be forgiven.  It was Wojo helping John, because let's face it, he could have used him a few times.  I think we have a very fair and decent coach in Wojo.

I do think this is the case. There are several instances where he could have helped. Nebraska-Omaha comes to mind, but I think Wojo did this as a favor to John. He must have known somethings was going to happen in terms of transferring. Coaches are never completely out of the loop.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 09:08:16 PM »
I'm not saying Wojo isn't worthy of coaching at Marquette - nor am I calling him a liar or unethical - or at least no more "unethical" than 90% of high major basketball and football coaches.  Encouraged transfers happen frequently.  However, there are better ways to handle it, than how it was done this time around.

How do you know how it was handled?  How do you know it was handled inappropriately?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2014, 09:08:22 PM »
Wadesworld is the most knowledgeable poster around. He knows everything about everything, just ask him and he'll tell you. I think he's one of the great minds of our time  ::)

Your words kid.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2014, 09:08:30 PM »

That is not true.  Dawson wanted to be at MU.  And would still be at MU if he'd been given more playing time.  Period.  End of story.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2014, 09:09:57 PM »
That is not true.  Dawson wanted to be at MU.  And would still be at MU if he'd been given more playing time.  Period.  End of story.

So he wanted to be at MU but only if he got playing time. No unnatural carnal knowledgeing crap.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2014, 09:10:47 PM »

How do you know how it was handled?  How do you know it was handled inappropriately?

Come on Sultan - after all of the recent discussion of revealing sources and such - and your personal policy on not revealing sources - I can't lay it all out there anymore than I already have.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2014, 09:11:17 PM »
As for Deonte - Though his minutes increased by 4 per game, given the complexion of the current roster, I have NO doubt he would have anticipated a bigger role.  Have no doubt Wojo was trying to coax out of Deonte a more well rounded game, yet feel he almost in some ways coached Deonte out of what he did/does best:  Attack, attack, attack.  Would have liked to have seen Wojo give Deonte more time this season, as the talent is absolutely there, and feel that eventually would have been rewarded.  Instead, Deonte became frustrated and felt it best to move on.

Here's the issue with this. We're only 8 games into the season. There's still 22 games to go.  

Deonte was getting consistent minutes. As much as he would have like, obviously not. However, the opportunity was there.

A lot can change between early December and the end of the season. With more production, time in the system, and better understanding of what Wojo is looking for, Deonte could have seen his minutes and role increase. Again that opportunity was there. Instead, he chose to move on. I think you can question whether or not he gave MU and Wojo a fair shot.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2014, 09:12:01 PM »
I can verify this is true.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »
That is not true.  Dawson wanted to be at MU.  And would still be at MU if he'd been given earned more playing time.  Period.  End of story.

FTFY.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2014, 09:12:29 PM »
So he wanted to be at MU but only if he got playing time. No unnatural carnal knowledgeing crap.

Go read the post I was responding to jack ass.  Poster was wrongly speculating that Dawson was planning to transfer 1 game into the season after getting 4 minutes of time against TN Martin.  That was not the case.  

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »
Having two high end D-1 kids I  have a lot of real time experience in the way college athletics works. 

Can we get back to the part about how Deonte was demoted a month before any games were played? And how said demotion involved him playing about 30 percent more MPG than he did a year ago?

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2014, 09:15:06 PM »
Go read the post I was responding to jack ass.  Poster was wrongly speculating that Dawson was planning to transfer 1 game into the season after getting 4 minutes of time against TN Martin.  That was not the case.  

Go F YOURSELF

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2014, 09:15:35 PM »
Having two high end D-1 kids I  have a lot of real time experience in the way college athletics works. 

"Having," as in the biblical sense?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2014, 09:15:48 PM »
FTFY.

If you want to go down that road, go look at the game numbers for some of the guys who were getting PT.  They weren't exactly lighting the hardwood on fire.  At what point do you need to produce on the floor during games to continue to "earn" that playing time???

Whether that is Derrick, JJJ, Cohen...but all got opportunity.  When you can't get any opportunity whatsoever to show what you can do in games, what the hell is the point in sticking around.  YOu may not like Dawson as a player, which is totally fine, but he certainly wasn't totally and completely overmatched as a freshman playing in the Big East.  He'll only get better.  The fundamentals are there for him to be a very good player.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2014, 09:17:45 PM »
"Having," as in the biblical sense?
Let me restate. My biological children are D-1 athletes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2014, 09:18:35 PM »
Come on Sultan - after all of the recent discussion of revealing sources and such - and your personal policy on not revealing sources - I can't lay it all out there anymore than I already have.

I didn't ask you to reveal sources.  So you are saying that you have talked to someone with knowledge of the situation who believes that one, or both, of the transfers were not handled appropriately?