[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: John Dawson  (Read 91626 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: John Dawson
« Reply #200 on: November 29, 2014, 07:11:53 PM »
Buzz's substitution patterns last year were no different than previous years.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #201 on: November 29, 2014, 08:14:42 PM »
You make a lot of good points. The only thing I would add is when you take the points you make, and then add in Buzz's crazy substitution pattern, it was a prescription for failure. I think Derrick was the constant in this unsavory brew do to his max minutes. Now we are in a new year and he is getting max minutes again, but the remainder of the mix is more stable and has room for improvement, which should hopefully result in some positive things. 

Some would call it maniacal but I really think he was looking for a combination that worked consistently.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #202 on: November 29, 2014, 08:28:37 PM »
gonna hump the old lady at the Sybaris again this year?

Bringin' 2 cans of Lysol with.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2014, 08:41:30 PM »

Bringin' 2 cans of Lysol with.

For her or the room?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #204 on: November 29, 2014, 09:00:36 PM »
Lol. @ He gives us the best chance to win.
Against Micigan St. we were up 5 early when Derrick went to the bench. We were down 6 when he came back in. He clearly makes the team better.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #205 on: November 29, 2014, 09:26:48 PM »
As I understand it, there is a completely rational explanation as to why Dawson isn't playing, and it's probably buried somewhere either on this thread or one of the eleven hundred seventy-nine other threads on the topic... I just haven't gone through all of them because I like to be more productive in my wastes of time.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2014, 11:22:36 PM »
As I think about it more and more, nailing Dawson to the bench to force a transfer just doesn't seem like something that Wojo would do. Call me naive, but Wojo has emphasized open communication and player relationships from day one. Trying to ice a guy out for a transfer doesn't seem like him at all. But Wojo also seems like a competitor, he's not going to play someone unless he thinks playing them will help the team. Unless there is off the court issues (which doesn't seem like John), I really think the only explanation is that Wojo simply doesn't think Dawson helps the team at this time. We've never had a large enough lead to justify playing a guy just to get him some playing time. I bet against one of the upcoming cupcakes we will see some minutes for Johnny D.

What do others think? Does playing less talented players over Dawson to force a transfer seem like something Wojo would do?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #207 on: November 30, 2014, 07:13:26 AM »
What do others think? Does playing less talented players over Dawson to force a transfer seem like something Wojo would do?

No.  Simply because you don't have to do it.  You can simply inform them that they are not in your plans.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #208 on: November 30, 2014, 08:00:14 AM »

No.  Simply because you don't have to do it.  You can simply inform them that they are not in your plans.

True indeed no need to delay the inevitable....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2014, 08:06:56 AM »
Something tells me for all the mystery people seem to think is happening on these message boards, I have a feeling it's not nearly so mysterious inside the Al. I feel pretty confident that Dawson knows why he isn't playing and if any discussions about transferring are to be had, they are likely already either going on or have happened.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #210 on: November 30, 2014, 08:08:16 AM »
True indeed no need to delay the inevitable....

Well just because he isn't playing this year doesn't mean that he isn't part of future plans.  Look, if Dawson improves, there is plenty of time available next year with Matt and Derrick leaving.  To TAMU's point, I would hope that Wojo is communicating this with Dawson and not just shutting him out.  If Wojo is signs a Juco 1/2, and reports are suggesting that he is at least looking at options, I would hope that he makes it clear with Dawson where he stands and what he needs to do to get playing time in the future.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #211 on: November 30, 2014, 08:34:02 AM »
Something tells me for all the mystery people seem to think is happening on these message boards, I have a feeling it's not nearly so mysterious inside the Al. I feel pretty confident that Dawson knows why he isn't playing and if any discussions about transferring are to be had, they are likely already either going on or have happened.

This question isnt about Dawson, but if you or your child were in the same situation.... Would you transfer to a school were you can play or stay put and try to get pt with a Top 5 class coming in next year?? Just asking... anyone can answer

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #212 on: November 30, 2014, 08:41:51 AM »
This question isnt about Dawson, but if you or your child were in the same situation.... Would you transfer to a school were you can play or stay put and try to get pt with a Top 5 class coming in next year?? Just asking... anyone can answer

I think it all depends on the situation. Is John loving the Marquette experience? Is it possible that he still loves being on the team, even if he isn't getting PT? Does he feel he's growing as a player, and does he see a possible opportunity to be more of a contributor in the next couple years as Matt & Derrick leave, or does he feel that the addition of Noskowiak and Cheatham will make it even harder to break into the backcourt?

Same goes for the family. Is John happy? Do they feel he's growing as a man? Is he getting an education that will set him up for a good future? Would transferring and getting more PT make him happier or would he rather try to earn PT as an upperclassman on a team with NCAA hopes? Without knowing what's going on inside the heads of the people involved and the conversations they've had, it's really hard to say.

I think at this point John & his family have come to grips with the likely reality that he isn't a NBA player? If they have accepted that, then it changes the conversation. Would you rather be a role-player on a team that could contend for a high-major league and possibly make some noise in the tournament, or be a starter on a low-major team whose only hope of getting in is a conference tourney? Not knowing the family and situation, I can't say, but I can see an argument for both sides.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #213 on: November 30, 2014, 08:46:24 AM »

If John likes Marquette and feels he is getting a good education, I'd tell him to stay.  The evidence seems to indicate that he probably isn't going to make much of a living playing ball anyhow, so the focus of his decision shouldn't be on playing time - it should be on being a good teammate, enjoying the college experience, and getting a degree that will help him in the next phase of his life.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:48:43 AM by GooooMarquette »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #214 on: November 30, 2014, 08:47:10 AM »

I would encourage my child to wait out the year, and then have a conversation with the coach about what he sees regarding my role moving forward and what the options might be.  If the coach said things that leads me to believe that he is part of the plans, I would encourage him to stay.  If not, then I would help him look for a new home.

I think the issue is the idea that Wojo is nailing Dawson to the bench to encourage a transfer.  I think brew is exactly right when he says that the communication between player and coach is stronger than that.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #215 on: November 30, 2014, 08:58:18 AM »
If John likes Marquette and feels he is getting a good education, I'd tell him to stay.  The evidence seems to indicate that he probably isn't going to make much of a living playing ball anyhow, so the focus of his decision shouldn't be on playing time - it should be on being a good teammate, enjoying the college experience, and getting a degree that will help him in the next phase of his life.

Alot of players make a living off basketball even if its overseas.... I didnt even know until recently Jake Thomas is playing overseas, and not many woulda said Dwight Buycks would be getting paid to play either.. Not saying he is either but strange things have happened...

http://journaltimes.com/sports/basketball/thomas-signs-pro-deal-with-swiss-team/article_63e13dfa-ef8f-11e3-b41c-0019bb2963f4.html

So without seeing him play legit minutes I wouldn't close the book on his future chances plus hes only 19.

I seen Sterling Gibbs go from buried on University Of Texas bench leaving for Seton Hall and dropping 40 the other night so anything is possible.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:00:20 AM by Nevada233 »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #216 on: November 30, 2014, 09:16:48 AM »
I like Dawson's game. And if we're playing a 2-3 anyway, I really don't see any reason why he can't get some burn unless a transfer discussion has already taken place. Derrick's only advantage over anyone is his on-ball extended man defense. In the zone we're playing, that advantage is mitigated if not rendered nearly moot altogether in my opinion. I like the guy, but can we all agree that it's a bit head scratching that he's seeing 30+ mpg AGAIN this year?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #217 on: November 30, 2014, 09:18:41 AM »

I feel like its pretty simple. If he and Wojo talk and decided that Dawson is going to have a role his happy with next season, then he stays. If he's not going to have a role he's happy with, he leaves. If he leaves, it probably doesn't affect MU very much because I assume if he was going to play a critical role, than he would stay. I hope he finds the best option for himself as a player and a student.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #218 on: November 30, 2014, 09:22:07 AM »
I like Dawson's game. And if we're playing a 2-3 anyway, I really don't see any reason why he can't get some burn unless a transfer discussion has already taken place. Derrick's only advantage over anyone is his on-ball extended man defense. In the zone we're playing, that advantage is mitigated if not rendered nearly moot altogether in my opinion. I like the guy, but can we all agree that it's a bit head scratching that he's seeing 30+ mpg AGAIN this year?

Actually there is a real good reason.  He isn't as good as you think he is.

That being said, you very well could be right.  And Wojo is bringing him on road trips just in case there are injury issues and he might be needed. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:24:03 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #219 on: November 30, 2014, 09:35:20 AM »

Actually there is a real good reason.  He isn't as good as you think he is.

That being said, you very well could be right.  And Wojo is bringing him on road trips just in case there are injury issues and he might be needed. 

Ha, okay. But you ignored the other point. I know Dawson has a functional offensive game. I've seen it. It includes the basic skills required to produce a basket. Derrick's offensive skills boil down to not turning the ball over. That's it. If we're playing a 2-3 zone, his on-ball defensive advantage over other players becomes less relevant, almost to the point of irrelevancy altogether. It would make sense that a player at the same position who has demonstrated some offensive aptitude would get some PT in this new defensive paradigm unless there were other factors at play. Not that outrageous.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #220 on: November 30, 2014, 09:40:41 AM »
Alot of players make a living off basketball even if its overseas.... I didnt even know until recently Jake Thomas is playing overseas, and not many woulda said Dwight Buycks would be getting paid to play either.. Not saying he is either but strange things have happened...

http://journaltimes.com/sports/basketball/thomas-signs-pro-deal-with-swiss-team/article_63e13dfa-ef8f-11e3-b41c-0019bb2963f4.html

So without seeing him play legit minutes I wouldn't close the book on his future chances plus hes only 19.

I seen Sterling Gibbs go from buried on University Of Texas bench leaving for Seton Hall and dropping 40 the other night so anything is possible.

Not saying it isn't possible, but the likelihood of making a meaningful living is waning.  The analogy I'd give is an engineering major who has been giving it his all, but is mid second year with a C average.  Could he still get a good job in engineering?  Absolutely.  But as the parent of such a student, I'd be suggesting that he at least be thinking about alternate career options.

And while it's nice to see that Jake is still playing, I'm guessing the Swiss league isn't exactly the pathway to a comfortable retirement.  The article doesn't say what he is making...but I'm betting he isn't going to be padding a retirement account with the earnings.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #221 on: November 30, 2014, 09:43:45 AM »
Ha, okay. But you ignored the other point. I know Dawson has a functional offensive game. I've seen it. It includes the basic skills required to produce a basket. Derrick's offensive skills boil down to not turning the ball over. That's it. If we're playing a 2-3 zone, his on-ball defensive advantage over other players becomes less relevant, almost to the point of irrelevancy altogether. It would make sense that a player at the same position who has demonstrated some offensive aptitude would get some PT in this new defensive paradigm unless there were other factors at play. Not that outrageous.

I think many people underestimate Derrick's offensive game. Now if they start sagging 5 feet off him again, then I'll agree. But I think Derrick's offense has been just fine to start the year.
TAMU

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #222 on: November 30, 2014, 09:46:22 AM »

Well John certainly can play and for Derrick to be playing 30+ MPG and you not even play a second in 5 straight games has to have you wondering.....

I mean Derrick plays good defense but hes not Gary Payton nor will he get paid to play ever on any level (we all know this).....

So as Sultan said there are alotta questions that don't have answers. The semester ends Dec 15th so we'll see if he stays or goes.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #223 on: November 30, 2014, 09:52:30 AM »

If John could master the zone, it would be an option. The zone in my opinion is a harder defense to master. Man-to-man is more than on ball defense including rotations, help defense,  and proper switching.  In my opinion, he was struggling on man-to-man defense on rotations as well. With that he will most definitely struggle in a zone.

Secondly, is John strong enough to play down low?  With the guys being on the shorter side people are playing out of position. Derrick being the strongest, he is taking the low end of the zone. Is Dawson strong enough to play that role?  I don't think he is yet.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #224 on: November 30, 2014, 09:55:31 AM »
I think many people underestimate Derrick's offensive game. Now if they start sagging 5 feet off him again, then I'll agree. But I think Derrick's offense has been just fine to start the year.
Well, he still can't shoot with 1-7 from three point land and 5-14 from the charity stripe.  His offensive game is the same as last year with drives and putbacks.

feedback