[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: John Dawson  (Read 91431 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: John Dawson
« Reply #275 on: December 01, 2014, 03:36:14 PM »
At some point Wojo will have to let go of the whole notion that Derrick is a valuable contributor to the team as a player on the floor.  All of his minutes should be given to Duane, Sandy, JJJ and Dawson.  He's not the future.  And he isn't going to help in the present.

Honest question...

Didn't you create a poll asking for Scoop's voice to be heard about whether you should leave this board or not, and over 53% of people responded yes?

In all sincerity, why are you still here?

Or was that just for more attention?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #276 on: December 01, 2014, 03:43:50 PM »
In theory, yes... but MU is already working with a short rotation. Not sure how much shorter it can get.

MU might be able to go all season without Dawson ever playing again, but injuries and foul trouble happen, especially in conf. play.

My hope is that John is working his ass off and earns some minutes.

My sense is not this year except in the unusual situations noted.  Further, I'd expect Sandy's minutes to approach zero as we hit conference.  This isn't an indictment of either young man.  Their time will (may) come.  But I'm anticipating an active 8 rotation.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #277 on: December 01, 2014, 04:39:57 PM »
Honest question...

Didn't you create a poll asking for Scoop's voice to be heard about whether you should leave this board or not, and over 53% of people responded yes?

In all sincerity, why are you still here?

Or was that just for more attention?

Interesting:  You go back 12 pages and 5 days in a thread, and parse a quote of mine that I made - that after 1 good game from Derrick now appears to be wrong - to bring up another topic that has been dead for over a week - the poll I started?

A few things:
1) I could CARE LESS about getting "attention" here.  

2) I post what I believe, and hold firm in my convictions  - and won't alter them based on perhaps 1 good game every 10 games.  But, I will recognize that 1 good game when it occurs.  Nor will I cower when the herd mentality joins together to disagree with me.

3) Yes, the poll was started in sincerity, that if I offended so many on this board - I'd go away.

4) The poll was locked by the Mods 2 days prior to its expiration - so it never became official - perhaps the Mods way to say:  47% of the people here don't have a problem with you, and at minimum your point of view that 53% don't care for (and in some cases flat out hate), at least drives discussion here.  

Scoop is far and away the most active MU message board, and it is largely due to how it is or perhaps better said, isn't moderated - to where any criticism of MU or a player is illegal.  A lively board is a good board.  

I laugh when people have to trot out the "I'm going to put you on Ignore," like that's going to hurt any grown man's feelings.  Lots of nasty sh$t was written about me in that Poll thread, and it didn't cause me for a minute to put any poster here on Ignore...much less would I put a poster on Ignore because they have a very different opinion on MU hoops or an MU player than me.  I'm amazed that - what I assume to be mostly grown men on here - are so thin skinned.  (Kind of like Buzz.)   ;D

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #278 on: December 01, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »
Interesting:  You go back 12 pages and 5 days in a thread, and parse a quote of mine that I made - that after 1 good game from Derrick now appears to be wrong - to bring up another topic that has been dead for over a week - the poll I started?

I hadn't read or posted to this thread yet. When it got to 12 pages I figured I better. I guess that means I "went back" but I was just reading the thread start to front for the first time. Maybe I should have waited until I got to the end. My bad on that.

Ners, you are welcome to your opinion. But when you say things like so and so "just doesn't contribute to the team on the floor," I get angry. This is a Marquette player who deserves our support.

In any case, I'm glad you have changed your opinion.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 04:51:51 PM by Bleuteaux »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #279 on: December 01, 2014, 04:55:38 PM »
4) The poll was locked by the Mods 2 days prior to its expiration - so it never became official - perhaps the Mods way to say:  47% of the people here don't have a problem with you, and at minimum your point of view that 53% don't care for (and in some cases flat out hate), at least drives discussion here. 

So the mods shut down your poll to save you from yourself...and in the process saving Scoop from deteriorating into a mass of groupthink?

Wow.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #280 on: December 01, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »
I hadn't read or posted to this thread yet. When it got to 12 pages I figured I better. I guess that means I "went back" but I was just reading the thread start to front for the first time. Maybe I should have waited until I got to the end. My bad on that.

Ners, you are welcome to your opinion. But when you say things like so and so "just doesn't contribute to the team on the floor," I get angry. This is a Marquette player who deserves our support.

In any case, I'm glad you have changed your opinion.

Fair enough.  Ironically, I used to get railed at by some when I first joined the board FOR NEVER BEING CRITICAL of any MU players or coaches.  True story.  Got told to take off the Blue and Gold glasses, stop drinking the Kool Aid etc.

I'm a HUGE MU basketball fan and want the team/coaches to be successful.  Sadly, last season, I got carried away with the frustration of watching us lose game after game, Derrick struggling mightily and Buzz refusing to change or even try anything different at that position other than for 1 game (that actually ended up going pretty well.)  

I know I've been very harsh on Derrick, and have felt bad about that at times.  However, there were times I'd attempted to let it go, but then it just became very difficult to do so when some of his supporters here would make greatly exaggerated or embellished statements to try to prop up their "argument."  It became a vicious cycle for everyone involved - those who supported Derrick, and those who were critical.

I've said it many times, Derrick is a fine young man, a great rep of MU - love who he is as a person, don't love his game.  When he got hurt earlier this year - I never said I was HAPPY about it - I said it likely would improve our chances of winning the game.  Yes, that was not a nice statement to make - yet I believed it to be true.

Hopefully Derrick continues to play as he did yesterday, and I'll eat the big sh$t burger I'll deserve.  And if he doesn't, I'll try to tone down the criticism - I hope too that the other "side" can tone down putting the lipstick on the pig too, however.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #281 on: December 01, 2014, 05:02:18 PM »

So the mods shut down your poll to save you from yourself...and in the process saving Scoop from deteriorating into a mass of groupthink?

Wow.

I'll let this slide.  Happy Sultan?   ;D

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #282 on: December 01, 2014, 05:02:40 PM »
2) I post what I believe, and hold firm in my convictions  - and won't alter them

Well that part is true.

Sorry couldn't help myself  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #283 on: December 01, 2014, 05:04:57 PM »
I'll let this slide.

If you make this your mantra, EVERYONE on this board will be happy.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #284 on: December 01, 2014, 05:12:54 PM »
If you make this your mantra, EVERYONE on this board will be happy.

Ha - Easier said than done for me (and others here too.)  I'll see what I can do.  Yet the basic premise of a message board is that opinions are exchanged and of course disagreements ensue on occasion.  I suspect we won't have another lightening rod quite like what we had last season with Buzz/Derrick for quite awhile.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #285 on: December 01, 2014, 05:22:37 PM »
Ha - Easier said than done for me (and others here too.)  I'll see what I can do.  Yet the basic premise of a message board is that opinions are exchanged and of course disagreements ensue on occasion.  I suspect we won't have another lightening rod quite like what we had last season with Buzz/Derrick for quite awhile.

I remember after the Omaha game that some posters (really, I forget who and don't care) were wondering if Wojo was up to the job.  That's one week ago.  Enjoy the ride everyone.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #286 on: December 01, 2014, 05:36:56 PM »
2) I post what I believe, and hold firm in my convictions  - and won't alter them based on perhaps 1 good game every 10 games.

Here's the thing though...everyone is wrong sometimes. I think the issue many people have is that when you are wrong, you refuse to ever admit it. You obstinately stick to the same position, unwilling to waver even when it is painfully obvious to everyone involved and must even be obvious to yourself.

I've been wrong plenty. I try to own up to it when I am. I think just once it would be nice to see you admit when you are wrong.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #287 on: December 01, 2014, 05:54:55 PM »
Here's the thing though...everyone is wrong sometimes. I think the issue many people have is that when you are wrong, you refuse to ever admit it. You obstinately stick to the same position, unwilling to waver even when it is painfully obvious to everyone involved and must even be obvious to yourself.

I've been wrong plenty. I try to own up to it when I am. I think just once it would be nice to see you admit when you are wrong.

I've admitted to being wrong on a number of topics here.  Had it wrong on Vander - never thought he'd evolve into the player he became as a junior after watching his first 2 years here.  Thought Reggie Smith would be a good player at MU.  Same with Jamail Jones.

And there will be other topics over the years I'm sure...yet truthfully, never once in my mind last year did I feel I was wrong on Buzz being a different guy last season, or Derrick being the best option for that team.  Not once last season did I feel Derrick was a viable option at PG along with Jake, and it only intensified as the season wore on.

Derrick plays on a relatively consistent basis like he did yesterday - no qualms whatsoever.  I'm not asking the world of the guy.  Just would like to see 8-10ppg, 3 to 4 assists, and respectable shooting from FT line and 3 point line.  In other words - give me Junior Cadougan's numbers as a senior and I'm quite happy - yet when you look at what other PGs in our league and the other high major leagues are doing, it really isn't asking too much/hoping for too much - especially when you are getting 30-40 minutes every game.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #288 on: December 01, 2014, 06:02:36 PM »

A few things:
1) I could CARE LESS about getting "attention" here.  

2) I post what I believe, and hold firm in my convictions  - and won't alter them based on perhaps 1 good game every 10 games.  But, I will recognize that 1 good game when it occurs.  Nor will I cower when the herd mentality joins together to disagree with me.

3) Yes, the poll was started in sincerity, that if I offended so many on this board - I'd go away.

4) The poll was locked by the Mods 2 days prior to its expiration - so it never became official - perhaps the Mods way to say:  47% of the people here don't have a problem with you, and at minimum your point of view that 53% don't care for (and in some cases flat out hate), at least drives discussion here.  

Scoop is far and away the most active MU message board, and it is largely due to how it is or perhaps better said, isn't moderated - to where any criticism of MU or a player is illegal.  A lively board is a good board.  

I laugh when people have to trot out the "I'm going to put you on Ignore," like that's going to hurt any grown man's feelings.  Lots of nasty sh$t was written about me in that Poll thread, and it didn't cause me for a minute to put any poster here on Ignore...much less would I put a poster on Ignore because they have a very different opinion on MU hoops or an MU player than me.  I'm amazed that - what I assume to be mostly grown men on here - are so thin skinned.  (Kind of like Buzz.)   ;D

2 words: Derrick Moratorium.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #289 on: December 01, 2014, 06:10:20 PM »

So you say that the poll was started in sincerity, but when its locked and 161 people out of 300 say you should be banned, you create reasons above why you should stay, hypothesizing on why the mods locked it.  Come on.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #290 on: December 01, 2014, 06:19:17 PM »
I'm confused.  I thought the mods shut down the thread that was wholly dedicated to N'ers' behavior, both chastising and defending?  

Yet here we are....Is it "the thread has been 'Kanye'd'", or "the thread has been 'N'ers'd'"?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #291 on: December 01, 2014, 10:19:40 PM »
I remember after the Omaha game that some posters (really, I forget who and don't care) were wondering if Wojo was up to the job.  That's one week ago.  Enjoy the ride everyone.

Fans have the attention spans of Jack Russell terriers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #292 on: December 02, 2014, 12:17:26 AM »
So you say that the poll was started in sincerity, but when its locked and 161 people out of 300 say you should be banned, you create reasons above why you should stay, hypothesizing on why the mods locked it.  Come on.

Yeah. That is evidence of Ners holding "firm in his convictions." Nothing like saying you are going to do one thing and then backtracking under the guise of technicalities to show just how "firm" one is in his or her "convictions."

I voted "no" on the poll, but I can't imagine anything more ridiculous than the way Ners has reneged on his own attention grabbing poll in the way he has. Oh, wait. I can imagine something more ridiculous....the tired Derrick v. Dawson mantra spewed forth ad naseum.

I am no fan of Ners; his positions, on most occasions, defy basic rules of logic. But it took a complete slash to credibility in the failure to follow through on his self-imposed ban under some conjured up technicality (nevermind that he was losing that vote consistently at at clip of 54-46 percent...) for me to hit the ignore button.

Mind you, it is easier to hit the ignore button than actually ignore, which is why I admittedly remain here responding to and referencing Ners. If I were true to my word, I'd probably just ignore and forget, difficult as that may be with his Derrick v Dawson campaign being quoted in nearly every thread. To err is human, I suppose.

Breathe. Calm. Better.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #293 on: December 02, 2014, 07:22:21 AM »
Yeah. That is evidence of Ners holding "firm in his convictions." Nothing like saying you are going to do one thing and then backtracking under the guise of technicalities to show just how "firm" one is in his or her "convictions."

Dude, those weren't "technicalities."  Those were the mods, fearing that they would lose a valuable, thought-provoking member, shutting down the poll for the sake of Scoop.  You don't realize how close this place came to becoming a Dodds-like wasteland.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #294 on: December 02, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »

Dude, those weren't "technicalities."  Those were the mods, fearing that they would lose a valuable, thought-provoking member, shutting down the poll for the sake of Scoop.  You don't realize how close this place came to becoming a Dodds-like wasteland.

Dodds forum is a joke..... He patrols it like the Coast Guard does the Gulf Of Mexico and will ban you if he doesnt agree with you...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #295 on: December 02, 2014, 08:00:32 AM »
Dodds forum is a joke..... He patrols it like the Coast Guard does the Gulf Of Mexico and will ban you if he doesnt agree with you...

I think Sultan's point was a sarcastic one - that this forum would never become like Dodds' forum, even if Ners followed through on his promise to leave voluntarily if the majority of voters voted him off.

Two totally different issues:  the mods banning every dissenting voice vs. one poster following through on a promise of a self-imposed ban based on a majority vote.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #296 on: December 02, 2014, 08:15:06 AM »
We could just start treating this board like Survivor.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #297 on: December 02, 2014, 12:14:45 PM »

You mean "Doddsie?"

The forced, artificial bonhomie on Doddsie's site reminds me of those B movies where the petty tyrant is surrounded by sycophants who cater to his every whim no matter how ridiculous or absurd.

Death on call

feedback