[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Missing Element  (Read 18297 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Missing Element
« on: November 14, 2014, 11:54:04 PM »
Looking at the recruits and this years team, I see one glaring weakness, a big body type of player.  Physical player, hope Wojo can recruit somebody in the Bob Lackey, Robert Byrd, David
Boone type of player.  Both Ellenson players are perimeter players, Steve Taylor will be the only inside muscle next year.  Nice to get a graduate player if possible.  Carlino is a great addition,
Derrick Wilson can put up a million jumpers this summer, did he make any.  Carlino should run the point all year.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Missing Element
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 11:56:05 PM »
Looking at the recruits and this years team, I see one glaring weakness, a big body type of player.  Physical player, hope Wojo can recruit somebody in the Bob Lackey, Robert Byrd, David
Boone type of player.  Both Ellenson players are perimeter players, Steve Taylor will be the only inside muscle next year.  Nice to get a graduate player if possible.  Carlino is a great addition,
Derrick Wilson can put up a million jumpers this summer, did he make any.  Carlino should run the point all year.

Heldt

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 12:00:48 AM »
He is a back-up center, need more of a power forward,.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 12:13:06 AM »
Fischer?

brandx

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 12:38:13 AM »

Byrd was a skinny guy. 6'5" or 6'6" and definitely under 200 lbs. Built like Tatum, but a bit taller.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 06:20:33 AM »
Byrd was a skinny guy. 6'5" or 6'6" and definitely under 200 lbs. Built like Tatum, but a bit taller.

An amazing rebounder despite his body type. Truly a nose for the ball. I'd take one of those now, although he wasn't much of an offensive player.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 06:25:41 AM »

Carlino does look like business at the point, but Du. Wilson will also get minutes there as he looks good also at the Point. Therefore Derrick needs to be relegated to 5 minutes per game. Not needed there.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 08:21:01 AM »
Carlino should be used only as needed. Du Wilson is much better at creating and playing unselfish basketball, Du is not a whiner and plays for the team, and Du will be here next year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 08:38:49 AM »
Carlino should be used only as needed. Du Wilson is much better at creating and playing unselfish basketball, Du is not a whiner and plays for the team, and Du will be here next year.

Unfortunately I couldn't watch the game and won't be able to get to it on my DVR until late tonight but I have a hard time believing Carlino was playing selfish ball, not getting others involved, and was whining because he couldn't shoot when he shot 4 of 9 in 27 minutes with 7 assists and just 2 turnovers. Like I said after Madness, the kid has it and I'm really glad he decided to come to MU. He's a really nice addition.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 08:58:43 AM »

I thought the offense bogged down when Duane was running the point.   Basically a lot of dribbling and then Duane attacking the basket, or a lot of dribbling and then a pass to JJJ who dribbled some more and then attacked the basket.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 09:03:33 AM »
Marcus Jackson have eligibility?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »
I thought the offense bogged down when Duane was running the point.   Basically a lot of dribbling and then Duane attacking the basket, or a lot of dribbling and then a pass to JJJ who dribbled some more and then attacked the basket.   

I thought they both played a little too much individual "bouncy ball," but I would agree that Duane was more guilty of this. Carlino seemed to have a better feel for what it means to be a high-major PG -- then again, he should.

In the end, it was great to finally see Duane play and I am excited about his future. My thought was that Carlino needs to play a little better and, of course, that he can't afford the kind of T he took, but I'm not down on him at all.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 09:25:42 AM »
Good to see Bob Lackey's name mentioned again especially for the benefit of the under 60 crowd.
The "Black Swan" as Al called him, was unique: 6'6" of chiseled muscle, a fierce look, a nice jumper and strong around the rim. He also had an amazing one-handed, spear-like rebounding arm. He was a great complement to Jim Chones on the great Warrior teams of 1971-72.
Burton is a lot like him, a bit smaller but the same confident, don't mess with me manner.
Might Fischer remind us Chones?      

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 09:26:51 AM »
I'm going to get down on Carlino because of the technical.  I thought he looked real smooth and confident with the ball and did a better job of getting the offense going than Duane or Derrick did.  One of his turnovers was a miscommunication with JJJ (?) and the pass flew out of bounds.  Other than than he was just fine.

I don't think he will end up being a high scorer by the time the season is over, but that's OK.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 09:33:31 AM »

Aren't you the same guy that DOESN'T feel the offense bogs down with Derrick running the point?

I'm confused.  I never recall our offense looking vibrant with Derrick running things, and it certainly didn't last night either.  At this point:

For PG:  Carlino>Duane>Derrick

For SG:  JJJ>Cohen>Duane>Dawson

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 09:36:52 AM »
I wasn't thrilled with Carlino's T either.  No excuse for that from one with that much experience.  But on the whole, he is a complete point guard, which we've sorely missed.  He can make his own shot, he is a legit threat to hit the three, he has a great handle and he distributes well.  Seven assists vs two TOs in his first real game with new team mates bodes well.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 09:49:49 AM »

Henry is BIG. Matt has size. But, Henry is big.

Yes - not a "center", and especially on offense can play inside and out... but defensively he can bang. Big kid. Really big.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 10:10:47 AM »
Aren't you the same guy that DOESN'T feel the offense bogs down with Derrick running the point?

I'm confused.  I never recall our offense looking vibrant with Derrick running things, and it certainly didn't last night either.  At this point:

For PG:  Carlino>Duane>Derrick

For SG:  JJJ>Cohen>Duane>Dawson

I wasn't talking about Derrick.   I was talking about Duane.   Duane had difficulty involving his teammates when he was running the point last night.   Which has nothing to do with Derrick.   Stop obsessing.   I never said that Derrick was a world beater.   I maintained that last year he was the best option.    This year, there are 9/10 scholarship players.   Derrick plays the point.   Because of the lack of depth, the fact that Derrick can ONLY play the point whereas others can play multiple positions, and Wojo seems to trust him, Derrick will continue to play 20 + minutes when healthy.    In a perfect world, I would rather see Carlino run the point.   This is not a perfect world.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 10:12:46 AM »
I wasn't thrilled with Carlino's T either.  No excuse for that from one with that much experience.  But on the whole, he is a complete point guard, which we've sorely missed.  He can make his own shot, he is a legit threat to hit the three, he has a great handle and he distributes well.  Seven assists vs two TOs in his first real game with new team mates bodes well.
Kind of surprising given his BYU background...  ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 10:16:22 AM »

Earlier this week you asked why those who oppose your views from last year aren't called out for not letting things go.

Well both here, and in the "UTM Thoughts" thread, you were the first person to bring up last year in threads about yesterday's game and this year's team.  Stop.  Move on.  Everyone understands your POV.  This is exactly what BMA meant when he said that you have and "inability to ever let anything go" and "your stalker like behavior following posters from thread to thread attacking them."

Like Tower said...stop obsessing.  It's a new year.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 10:17:34 AM »
Kind of surprising given his BYU background...  ;)

Teal, right?  I noted the "wink".  

Jim McMahon, the Bear's punky QB was from BYU.  I'm not sure if BYU really necessarily says much about a person who went there.   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »
Don't BYU students sign a contract that promises no alcohol or premarital sex?

always wondered how McMahon lasted there

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »
Carlino was our best PG on the floor last night (minus the technical). Duane looked better off the ball than on. Dawson seems to be the 9th man at this point. Cohen is a keeper but will never play SG because of this team's size. JJJ looked like a former top 30 recruit should, but he will have to slide down to the three a lot. Hard to tell what we will get from Derrick, loved the two blocks, hated the two missed FGs.

Based on last night I saw a guard rotation of:

1: Carlino, Derrick, Duane, Dawson
2: JJJ, Duane, Carlino, Dawson
3: Deonte, Cohen, JJJ
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 10:48:36 AM »

Earlier this week you asked why those who oppose your views from last year aren't called out for not letting things go.

Well both here, and in the "UTM Thoughts" thread, you were the first person to bring up last year in threads about yesterday's game and this year's team.  Stop.  Move on.  Everyone understands your POV.  This is exactly what BMA meant when he said that you have and "inability to ever let anything go" and "your stalker like behavior following posters from thread to thread attacking them."

Like Tower said...stop obsessing.  It's a new year.

LOL - And my exact point was - things don't stop because those on your side of the aisle keep perpetuating it with ridiculous statements - such as what Tower offered up all game long and thereafter about "the offense bogging down with Duane running point."  Made a post to the effect of with Derrick being out in the second half we had our work cut out for us, etc.

Point is, if you are going to take issue with Duane's performance in his first college basketball game about things "bogging down" with him running the point - that is freaking ludicrous - as it's always been bogged down with Derrick running it, and last night was no better.

It isn't obsessing.  It's pointing out the irony and idiocy of suggesting "the offense bogged down" with Duane running the point.  Even if there was a shred of truth to that - you can't go into negative numbers - the offense buzzing along at exactly 0 vibrancy, and then Duane comes in and we go to negative vibrancy.  Please.  To try to allude/imply such is ridiculous.  
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 10:48:51 AM »
Carlino was our best PG on the floor last night (minus the technical). Duane looked better off the ball than on. Dawson seems to be the 9th man at this point. Cohen is a keeper but will never play SG because of this team's size. JJJ looked like a former top 30 recruit should, but he will have to slide down to the three a lot. Hard to tell what we will get from Derrick, loved the two blocks, hated the two missed FGs.

Based on last night I saw a guard rotation of:

1: Carlino, Derrick, Duane, Dawson
2: JJJ, Duane, Carlino, Dawson
3: Deonte, Cohen, JJJ
Doubt that we'll see Dawson at PG this season.

feedback