'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Missing Element  (Read 18295 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Missing Element
« on: November 14, 2014, 11:54:04 PM »
Looking at the recruits and this years team, I see one glaring weakness, a big body type of player.  Physical player, hope Wojo can recruit somebody in the Bob Lackey, Robert Byrd, David
Boone type of player.  Both Ellenson players are perimeter players, Steve Taylor will be the only inside muscle next year.  Nice to get a graduate player if possible.  Carlino is a great addition,
Derrick Wilson can put up a million jumpers this summer, did he make any.  Carlino should run the point all year.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Missing Element
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 11:56:05 PM »
Looking at the recruits and this years team, I see one glaring weakness, a big body type of player.  Physical player, hope Wojo can recruit somebody in the Bob Lackey, Robert Byrd, David
Boone type of player.  Both Ellenson players are perimeter players, Steve Taylor will be the only inside muscle next year.  Nice to get a graduate player if possible.  Carlino is a great addition,
Derrick Wilson can put up a million jumpers this summer, did he make any.  Carlino should run the point all year.

Heldt

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 12:00:48 AM »
He is a back-up center, need more of a power forward,.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 12:13:06 AM »
Fischer?

brandx

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 12:38:13 AM »

Byrd was a skinny guy. 6'5" or 6'6" and definitely under 200 lbs. Built like Tatum, but a bit taller.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 06:20:33 AM »
Byrd was a skinny guy. 6'5" or 6'6" and definitely under 200 lbs. Built like Tatum, but a bit taller.

An amazing rebounder despite his body type. Truly a nose for the ball. I'd take one of those now, although he wasn't much of an offensive player.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 06:25:41 AM »

Carlino does look like business at the point, but Du. Wilson will also get minutes there as he looks good also at the Point. Therefore Derrick needs to be relegated to 5 minutes per game. Not needed there.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 08:21:01 AM »
Carlino should be used only as needed. Du Wilson is much better at creating and playing unselfish basketball, Du is not a whiner and plays for the team, and Du will be here next year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 08:38:49 AM »
Carlino should be used only as needed. Du Wilson is much better at creating and playing unselfish basketball, Du is not a whiner and plays for the team, and Du will be here next year.

Unfortunately I couldn't watch the game and won't be able to get to it on my DVR until late tonight but I have a hard time believing Carlino was playing selfish ball, not getting others involved, and was whining because he couldn't shoot when he shot 4 of 9 in 27 minutes with 7 assists and just 2 turnovers. Like I said after Madness, the kid has it and I'm really glad he decided to come to MU. He's a really nice addition.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 08:58:43 AM »

I thought the offense bogged down when Duane was running the point.   Basically a lot of dribbling and then Duane attacking the basket, or a lot of dribbling and then a pass to JJJ who dribbled some more and then attacked the basket.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 09:03:33 AM »
Marcus Jackson have eligibility?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »
I thought the offense bogged down when Duane was running the point.   Basically a lot of dribbling and then Duane attacking the basket, or a lot of dribbling and then a pass to JJJ who dribbled some more and then attacked the basket.   

I thought they both played a little too much individual "bouncy ball," but I would agree that Duane was more guilty of this. Carlino seemed to have a better feel for what it means to be a high-major PG -- then again, he should.

In the end, it was great to finally see Duane play and I am excited about his future. My thought was that Carlino needs to play a little better and, of course, that he can't afford the kind of T he took, but I'm not down on him at all.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 09:25:42 AM »
Good to see Bob Lackey's name mentioned again especially for the benefit of the under 60 crowd.
The "Black Swan" as Al called him, was unique: 6'6" of chiseled muscle, a fierce look, a nice jumper and strong around the rim. He also had an amazing one-handed, spear-like rebounding arm. He was a great complement to Jim Chones on the great Warrior teams of 1971-72.
Burton is a lot like him, a bit smaller but the same confident, don't mess with me manner.
Might Fischer remind us Chones?      

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 09:26:51 AM »
I'm going to get down on Carlino because of the technical.  I thought he looked real smooth and confident with the ball and did a better job of getting the offense going than Duane or Derrick did.  One of his turnovers was a miscommunication with JJJ (?) and the pass flew out of bounds.  Other than than he was just fine.

I don't think he will end up being a high scorer by the time the season is over, but that's OK.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 09:33:31 AM »

Aren't you the same guy that DOESN'T feel the offense bogs down with Derrick running the point?

I'm confused.  I never recall our offense looking vibrant with Derrick running things, and it certainly didn't last night either.  At this point:

For PG:  Carlino>Duane>Derrick

For SG:  JJJ>Cohen>Duane>Dawson

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 09:36:52 AM »
I wasn't thrilled with Carlino's T either.  No excuse for that from one with that much experience.  But on the whole, he is a complete point guard, which we've sorely missed.  He can make his own shot, he is a legit threat to hit the three, he has a great handle and he distributes well.  Seven assists vs two TOs in his first real game with new team mates bodes well.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 09:49:49 AM »

Henry is BIG. Matt has size. But, Henry is big.

Yes - not a "center", and especially on offense can play inside and out... but defensively he can bang. Big kid. Really big.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 10:10:47 AM »
Aren't you the same guy that DOESN'T feel the offense bogs down with Derrick running the point?

I'm confused.  I never recall our offense looking vibrant with Derrick running things, and it certainly didn't last night either.  At this point:

I wasn't talking about Derrick.   I was talking about Duane.   Duane had difficulty involving his teammates when he was running the point last night.   Which has nothing to do with Derrick.   Stop obsessing.   I never said that Derrick was a world beater.   I maintained that last year he was the best option.    This year, there are 9/10 scholarship players.   Derrick plays the point.   Because of the lack of depth, the fact that Derrick can ONLY play the point whereas others can play multiple positions, and Wojo seems to trust him, Derrick will continue to play 20 + minutes when healthy.    In a perfect world, I would rather see Carlino run the point.   This is not a perfect world.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 10:12:46 AM »
I wasn't thrilled with Carlino's T either.  No excuse for that from one with that much experience.  But on the whole, he is a complete point guard, which we've sorely missed.  He can make his own shot, he is a legit threat to hit the three, he has a great handle and he distributes well.  Seven assists vs two TOs in his first real game with new team mates bodes well.
Kind of surprising given his BYU background...  ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 10:16:22 AM »

Earlier this week you asked why those who oppose your views from last year aren't called out for not letting things go.

Well both here, and in the "UTM Thoughts" thread, you were the first person to bring up last year in threads about yesterday's game and this year's team.  Stop.  Move on.  Everyone understands your POV.  This is exactly what BMA meant when he said that you have and "inability to ever let anything go" and "your stalker like behavior following posters from thread to thread attacking them."

Like Tower said...stop obsessing.  It's a new year.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 10:17:34 AM »
Kind of surprising given his BYU background...  ;)

Teal, right?  I noted the "wink".  

Jim McMahon, the Bear's punky QB was from BYU.  I'm not sure if BYU really necessarily says much about a person who went there.   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »
Don't BYU students sign a contract that promises no alcohol or premarital sex?

always wondered how McMahon lasted there

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »
Carlino was our best PG on the floor last night (minus the technical). Duane looked better off the ball than on. Dawson seems to be the 9th man at this point. Cohen is a keeper but will never play SG because of this team's size. JJJ looked like a former top 30 recruit should, but he will have to slide down to the three a lot. Hard to tell what we will get from Derrick, loved the two blocks, hated the two missed FGs.

Based on last night I saw a guard rotation of:

1: Carlino, Derrick, Duane, Dawson
2: JJJ, Duane, Carlino, Dawson
3: Deonte, Cohen, JJJ
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 10:48:36 AM »

Earlier this week you asked why those who oppose your views from last year aren't called out for not letting things go.

Well both here, and in the "UTM Thoughts" thread, you were the first person to bring up last year in threads about yesterday's game and this year's team.  Stop.  Move on.  Everyone understands your POV.  This is exactly what BMA meant when he said that you have and "inability to ever let anything go" and "your stalker like behavior following posters from thread to thread attacking them."

Like Tower said...stop obsessing.  It's a new year.

LOL - And my exact point was - things don't stop because those on your side of the aisle keep perpetuating it with ridiculous statements - such as what Tower offered up all game long and thereafter about "the offense bogging down with Duane running point."  Made a post to the effect of with Derrick being out in the second half we had our work cut out for us, etc.

Point is, if you are going to take issue with Duane's performance in his first college basketball game about things "bogging down" with him running the point - that is freaking ludicrous - as it's always been bogged down with Derrick running it, and last night was no better.

It isn't obsessing.  It's pointing out the irony and idiocy of suggesting "the offense bogged down" with Duane running the point.  Even if there was a shred of truth to that - you can't go into negative numbers - the offense buzzing along at exactly 0 vibrancy, and then Duane comes in and we go to negative vibrancy.  Please.  To try to allude/imply such is ridiculous.  
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 10:48:51 AM »
Carlino was our best PG on the floor last night (minus the technical). Duane looked better off the ball than on. Dawson seems to be the 9th man at this point. Cohen is a keeper but will never play SG because of this team's size. JJJ looked like a former top 30 recruit should, but he will have to slide down to the three a lot. Hard to tell what we will get from Derrick, loved the two blocks, hated the two missed FGs.

Doubt that we'll see Dawson at PG this season.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »

Agree for the most part, yet as Nukem just said, doubtful we'll see Dawson at any PG this season.  And in my rotation I'd put Duane ahead of Derrick at PG.

As for Derrick's performance last night...it was a carbon copy of last year.  Feeble attempts going to the basket, gets bailed out with a foul call, misses 2 FT's, has a poor turnover against marginal ball pressure, races back after turnover to negate its damage with the block.  In 13 minutes of a 20 minute half...played 65% of available minutes and well...more of the same as last year.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »
Wait n' see--The big man is coming to MU.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »
Agree for the most part, yet as Nukem just said, doubtful we'll see Dawson at any PG this season.  And in my rotation I'd put Duane ahead of Derrick at PG.

As for Derrick's performance last night...it was a carbon copy of last year.  Feeble attempts going to the basket, gets bailed out with a foul call, misses 2 FT's, has a poor turnover against marginal ball pressure, races back after turnover to negate its damage with the block.  In 13 minutes of a 20 minute half...played 65% of available minutes and well...more of the same as last year.
He did have one nice pass into the paint that was converted. That was about it.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 10:55:49 AM »
Yes, NERs,  when Carlino picked up his 4th foul with several minutes to go, with Deonte already having 4,  I had a moment of anxiety about the rest of the game.   I was worried about people fouling out and possible rotations.    And Duane did do a lot of dribbling at the top of the key while everybody stood still.   None of this has a thing to do with last year or Derrick, other than him being unavailable due to injury.    It pertained to last night's game only.   Nothing bigger.   No sideways implication of anything.    

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2014, 11:04:03 AM »
Yes, NERs,  when Carlino picked up his 4th foul with several minutes to go, with Deonte already having 4,  I had a moment of anxiety about the rest of the game.   I was worried about people fouling out and possible rotations.    And Duane did do a lot of dribbling at the top of the key while everybody stood still.   None of this has a thing to do with last year or Derrick, other than him being unavailable due to injury.    It pertained to last night's game only.   Nothing bigger.   No sideways implication of anything.    

My bad.  I'll have to take you at your word.  But, if you find a lot of dribbling at the top of key troublesome for a PG - I'm just surprised you "supported" that very action all of last season...and wouldn't identify it as the root cause of the team's problems last season.

brandx

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2014, 11:17:51 AM »
I'm going to get down on Carlino because of the technical.  I thought he looked real smooth and confident with the ball and did a better job of getting the offense going than Duane or Derrick did.  One of his turnovers was a miscommunication with JJJ (?) and the pass flew out of bounds.  Other than than he was just fine.

I don't think he will end up being a high scorer by the time the season is over, but that's OK.

Carlino is the man at PG. He looked totally in control and showed that if left open, he will take the shot without hesitation. I still think he will be the #2 scorer on this team. He will have games like last night where is doesn't score much, but he is also going to have some 25-point games.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2014, 11:18:43 AM »
Dude, last year was a whole different kettle of fish.   I thought that Buzz quit running motion in general and was focused on the post up game too much.   Hated the Oxtule experiment.    Advocated starting Burton/JJJ/Mayo in the 5th starting spot.   I thought Derrick and Jake were a bad combination in the backcourt, but thought that JJJ and Dawson, AS FRESHMEN, AS THE STARTING GUARDS didn't offer us a better chance to win.  No conspiracy.   We differed about the causes for last year's malaise.    
This stalker crap and turning every single thread into some kind of referendum and battle against 'your adversaries', 'idiots' has to stop.   You are sapping all of the enjoyment out of this board.   Let it frickin go.   Move on.  

This year's team has 9 guys now, 10 in a month.   Everybody needs to contribute.   Each and every player has a role and a responsibility.    Last year's battles are over.    GOING FORWARD, I still see Derrick being the starter at the point when healthy for the foreseeable future for the following reasons (which I stated in another thread).
1.   Senior co-captain has Wojo's trust.   As you have stated (and I stated months ago), there is a bit of a kinship there.
2.  He only plays the point, whereas Duane and Carlino can both play off of the ball.  
3.  Lack of depth.   There are going to be a lot of 3 guard sets and probably some 4 guard sets due to foul trouble and lack of size.    Derrick with Carlino/Duane/JJJ all moving around off of the ball actually makes a lot of sense.  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:58:05 AM by tower912 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »
LOL - And my exact point was - things don't stop because those on your side of the aisle keep perpetuating it with ridiculous statements - such as what Tower offered up all game long and thereafter about "the offense bogging down with Duane running point."  Made a post to the effect of with Derrick being out in the second half we had our work cut out for us, etc.

Point is, if you are going to take issue with Duane's performance in his first college basketball game about things "bogging down" with him running the point - that is freaking ludicrous - as it's always been bogged down with Derrick running it, and last night was no better.

It isn't obsessing.  It's pointing out the irony and idiocy of suggesting "the offense bogged down" with Duane running the point.  Even if there was a shred of truth to that - you can't go into negative numbers - the offense buzzing along at exactly 0 vibrancy, and then Duane comes in and we go to negative vibrancy.  Please.  To try to allude/imply such is ridiculous. 

Jesus Christ on a pogo-stick.

People can say that they felt the offense bogged down with Duane on the floor when compared to Carlino WITHOUT IRONY, because NEITHER was on the floor last year.  And both are better options than Derrick - I don't think you will find much disagreement with that.

Last year was last year.  This year is this year.  It it THAT hard to figure out?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »

Jesus Christ on a pogo-stick.

People can say that they felt the offense bogged down with Duane on the floor when compared to Carlino WITHOUT IRONY, because NEITHER was on the floor last year.  And both are better options than Derrick - I don't think you will find much disagreement with that.

Last year was last year.  This year is this year.  It it THAT hard to figure out?

No more difficult to figure out than what the problem was last year.  And people championing for 20+ minutes of that THIS SEASON seems ludicrous.  Thanks for asking. 

Now get off your pogo stick God.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »
Henry is BIG. Matt has size. But, Henry is big.

... but defensively he can bang. Big kid. Really big.

How do you know such things?

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2014, 12:30:45 PM »
Carlino is the man at PG. He looked totally in control and showed that if left open, he will take the shot without hesitation. I still think he will be the #2 scorer on this team. He will have games like last night where is doesn't score much, but he is also going to have some 25-point games.

I think this is an accurate look at Carlino. It was refreshing to see a guard who creates through distribution. He can play and we need him more than people realize. I am thankful he chose Marquette.

Death on call

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2014, 12:36:06 PM »

I completely agree with this assessment.  Carlino played very well...minus the technical.

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2014, 12:37:56 PM »
Unfortunately I couldn't watch the game and won't be able to get to it on my DVR until late tonight but I have a hard time believing Carlino was playing selfish ball, not getting others involved, and was whining because he couldn't shoot when he shot 4 of 9 in 27 minutes with 7 assists and just 2 turnovers. Like I said after Madness, the kid has it and I'm really glad he decided to come to MU. He's a really nice addition.

Carlino had 7 assists and ran the offense well, no idea what that dude is talking about.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2014, 01:11:23 PM »

Aren't you the same guy who was touting Magic Dawson at point?  When I told you last season Dawson's more natural and better position was shooting guard you told me that your playing at the "highest levels" meant you knew more about basketball. Now you don't even list Dawson in the PG equation or was it to hard for you to put >Dawson after Derrick?

Here is what we know so far...unlike last year, Wojo has more viable options at PG and he is going to use them.

I don't see the original poster comparing Duane to Derrick or stating that Derrick was a better option but only that in this game it appeared that the offense slowed down with Duane at point.  This could be for a variety of reasons unrelated to Duane's skillset.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »

Here is what we know so far...unlike last year, Wojo has more viable options at PG and he is going to use them.

I don't see the original poster comparing Duane to Derrick or stating that Derrick was a better option but only that in this game it appeared that the offense slowed down with Duane at point.  This could be for a variety of reasons unrelated to Duane's skillset.

Clarity

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »
How do you know such things?

Bravo Keefe. Way to insert this and penetrate the conversation with some humor.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2014, 09:32:56 PM »
Aren't you the same guy who was touting Magic Dawson at point?  When I told you last season Dawson's more natural and better position was shooting guard you told me that your playing at the "highest levels" meant you knew more about basketball. Now you don't even list Dawson in the PG equation or was it to hard for you to put >Dawson after Derrick?

I'd never have disagreed with anyone who would have said Dawson's best* position would be 2 guard - my argument all of last season and one I still believe - even if Dawson were played out of position at PG last season, he would have been a hell of a lot better option than Derrick - for many reasons, but the most basic of which is that the opposition would have needed to guard him all over the floor, which would have greatly helped our biggest weapon (Davante) be even more productive.  Additionally, Dawson sees the floor better than Derrick.  

We saw what Derrick's O rating's would look like if he got 13 minutes a game - his stat line from last night was fairly par for the course, although a little light on assists - but in 13 minutes he compiled a 22 O-Rating.  Even a blind squirrel can find a nut and when you play 30+ minutes every game you are going to get a few assists.

As for Wojo not having Dawson play the point this season - its a coaching decision -he sees him as a 2 or possible 3 in emergent situations.  He has Carlino and Duane available, who can also play the 1 - so no need for John to be a 1.  Derrick's only position is PG, as he's never going to play shooting guard or primarily off the ball...because he can't shoot, or penetrate, or finish effectively at the rack.

And btw - the offense didn't slow down with Duane at the Point last night - that was simply an opinion, and a wrong one at that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2014, 09:44:02 PM »
We saw what Derrick's O rating's would look like if he got 13 minutes a game - his stat line from last night was fairly par for the course, although a little light on assists - but in 13 minutes he compiled a 22 O-Rating.  Even a blind squirrel can find a nut and when you play 30+ minutes every game you are going to get a few assists.

You are the same guy that discounted Dawson's OR from last year saying that the sample size was too small.  Yet now you are bringing up Derrick's OR from one half of one game.  Yet my guess is that you will somehow discount the fact that Dawson had a worse OR than Derrick did in the very same half of the very same game.

And btw - the offense didn't slow down with Duane at the Point last night - that was simply an opinion, and a wrong one at that.

How is the opinion "wrong?"  Are we supposed to rely on the same "Ners Eye Test" that resulted in Magic Dawson?

No thanks.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2014, 09:56:54 PM »

You are the same guy that discounted Dawson's OR from last year saying that the sample size was too small.  Yet now you are bringing up Derrick's OR from one half of one game.  Yet my guess is that you will somehow discount the fact that Dawson had a worse OR than Derrick did in the very same half of the very same game.

How is the opinion "wrong?"  Are we supposed to rely on the same "Ners Eye Test" that resulted in Magic Dawson?

No thanks.

LOL-  See how these things get perpetuated.  Follow some of your own advice Sultan - LET IT GO.  Drop it. 

Your argument you make in this post is one of the weakest you've ever authored.  Usually you make solid, logical, well informed arguments - in this case - it's so flawed I'm not going to point out all of the areas for two reasons:  1) To not continue this "debate" that I seem to get blamed for by 5 of you here.  2) Because I have no interest in humiliating you.

But here's a hint:  They don't assign an O-Rating to player who plays less than 10 minutes in a game.  Dawson played 4.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2014, 10:00:20 PM »
LOL-  See how these things get perpetuated.  Follow some of your own advice Sultan - LET IT GO.  Drop it. 

Your argument you make in this post is one of the weakest you've ever authored.  Usually you make solid, logical, well informed arguments - in this case - it's so flawed I'm not going to point out all of the areas for two reasons:  1) To not continue this "debate" that I seem to get blamed for by 5 of you here.  2) Because I have no interest in humiliating you.

But here's a hint:  They don't assign an O-Rating to player who plays less than 10 minutes in a game.  Dawson played 4.

Ah.  Thank you.

But that brings up another point.  I guess the new head coach that you think is great didn't see fit to play Magic more than four minutes.  Much less than he played the guy with the low OR.

Mindf*cking I guess...

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2014, 02:37:31 AM »

All I can say is the last time Dawson played 20+ Minutes in a game it was VS Georgetown.

He hasn't had an opportunity to fail or succeed and Marquette honestly.
If you count spot minutes here and there then fine but I cannot draw a conclusion off of someone who is not getting any playing time.

Baylor, Creighton, New Mexico, Fresno State and Texas Tech all recruited him and im sure its not because he's a nice guy.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2014, 06:21:39 AM »

Ugh. Please be accurate on this so others aren't confused.

An ORtg is a calculation and can be made for anyone playing in a basketball game that records stats.

Some* people don't like to highlight the ORtg of players playing less than X minutes in a game or X% minutes in a season because the results are so sensitive to small play occurrences.

It does not mean that ORtg's aren't able to be calculated, but if you're running a system that automatically calculates an ORtg there are reasons not to include for guys who play just a few minutes in a game. That also DOES NOT mean their ORtg isn't relevant for a game... just need to look at the specifics.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2014, 09:38:07 AM »

All I can say is the last time Dawson played 20+ Minutes in a game it was VS Georgetown.

He hasn't had an opportunity to fail or succeed and Marquette honestly.
If you count spot minutes here and there then fine but I cannot draw a conclusion off of someone who is not getting any playing time.

Baylor, Creighton, New Mexico, Fresno State and Texas Tech all recruited him and im sure its not because he's a nice guy.

So what you're suggesting is that not 1 but 2 guys who are being paid literally millions of dollars (and their multiple assistants who help them make these decisions) to determine whether someone is good enough to play these minutes and who see these kids in practice 10-20 hours/week have determined he isn't good enough to play minutes over these other guys, but we can't come to that conclusion because we haven't seen him play enough. Well then, you must've played high school basketball.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2014, 10:03:03 AM »
Carlino got the techinacal for his fourth foul, which resulted in Duane coming in. Duane immediately drove to the basket and missed a very difficult layup. Tenn-Martin then missed their shot and the rebound bounced long to the backcourt and Duane Wilson should of easily had it with his quickness, but just stood there as a UT guy ran and got it. Duane has a lot of talent, but he still has a lot to learn. However, his stat line was better than Koenig's Friday night

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2014, 10:17:37 AM »

Given how he likely will be used this season and the talent we have coming in for 2015-16, I think it's possible that Dawson might opt to give one of those schools a try.

If he thinks he can help Marquette and/or he is enjoying the overall Marquette experience and he stays, I will be thrilled. If he wants to go elsewhere for playing time, that would be completely understandable. I hope for the best for him -- and for all of our guys.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2014, 10:36:26 AM »
So what you're suggesting is that not 1 but 2 guys who are being paid literally millions of dollars (and their multiple assistants who help them make these decisions) to determine whether someone is good enough to play these minutes and who see these kids in practice 10-20 hours/week have determined he isn't good enough to play minutes over these other guys, but we can't come to that conclusion because we haven't seen him play enough. Well then, you must've played high school basketball.

Not saying that. All all im saying is I cant draw conclusions to someone I've never really even saw at this level... My opinion is just that... When I saw him play 20+ Minutes it was our biggest game of the year and he delivered, I'm a fan of his. I won't say he's better or worse than anyone. I'll reserve judgement until I see him play again wether its at Marquette or at another School......

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2014, 10:41:05 AM »
Not saying that. All all im saying is I cant draw conclusions to someone I've never really even saw at this level... My opinion is just that... When I saw him play 20+ Minutes it was our biggest game of the year and he delivered, I'm a fan of his. I won't say he's better or worse than anyone. I'll reserve judgement until I see him play again wether its at Marquette or at another School......

That's a fair response and I can't disagree with any of it. My personal thinking is that if the Georgetown game is what Dawson could give us night in and night out then I think he'd show that in practice and thus get more time on the court in games. Sometimes a player just gets hot and you ride him for a game. Unfortunately that seems to be the case with Dawson given that he's having a hard time finding the court. I would love for him to prove to everyone that the Georgetown game was not an outlier but was in fact just him showing us what he's got. It's early in the season and with 9/10 guys available he'll have his opportunities to prove he deserves the minutes.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2014, 12:18:09 PM »
That's a fair response and I can't disagree with any of it. My personal thinking is that if the Georgetown game is what Dawson could give us night in and night out then I think he'd show that in practice and thus get more time on the court in games. Sometimes a player just gets hot and you ride him for a game. Unfortunately that seems to be the case with Dawson given that he's having a hard time finding the court. I would love for him to prove to everyone that the Georgetown game was not an outlier but was in fact just him showing us what he's got. It's early in the season and with 9/10 guys available he'll have his opportunities to prove he deserves the minutes.

Touche'

With as thin of a lineup as we have all questions will be answered this year for sure.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2014, 09:42:47 AM »
Given how he likely will be used this season and the talent we have coming in for 2015-16, I think it's possible that Dawson might opt to give one of those schools a try.

If he thinks he can help Marquette and/or he is enjoying the overall Marquette experience and he stays, I will be thrilled. If he wants to go elsewhere for playing time, that would be completely understandable. I hope for the best for him -- and for all of our guys.
Hope he loved the MU experience.  Seems like he comes from a good family that looks at the bigger picture.  Maybe he's one of those guys that will contribute important spot minutes as a Junior and Senior.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:39:09 PM by Ellenson for an mu-rara »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2014, 10:16:23 AM »
...my argument all of last season and one I still believe - even if Dawson were played out of position at PG last season, he would have been a hell of a lot better option than Derrick - for many reasons, but the most basic of which is that the opposition would have needed to guard him all over the floor, which would have greatly helped our biggest weapon (Davante) be even more productive.  Additionally, Dawson sees the floor better than Derrick.  

I know I'm late to this thread, but can we all just agree on something:

Ners thought Dawson was a better option at PG last season.

Several posters don't agree with that.

Done. Be done. Fin. End.

Please don't let this season somehow turn into "gotcha!" evidence for that tired discussion/debate. It's going to get old. Fast.

Derrick could score 75 pts in 1 game this year, and it's not retroactively going to change anything. Dawson might really be Magic Johnson 2.0, but it doesn't necessarily mean he would have been better LAST season.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »

I could agree with your position if* Dawson started that Georgetown game "hot."  But, he didn't - he had 5 points going into overtime, and then went on to score 7 more.  He was playing a solid floor game throughout, solid defensively, some assists, etc - but don't see that as being a case of Buzz "riding" a hot player.

Hope he gets an opportunity to show what he can do this year.  Was surprised how few minutes he got against TN Martin - would have thought all the young guys woud get fairly equal PT against the weaker teams in nonconference play.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:23:08 AM by NersEllenson »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2014, 10:28:19 AM »
I know I'm late to this thread, but can we all just agree on something:

Ners thought Dawson was a better option at PG last season.

Several posters don't agree with that.

Done. Be done. Fin. End.

Please don't let this season somehow turn into "gotcha!" evidence for that tired discussion/debate. It's going to get old. Fast.

Derrick could score 75 pts in 1 game this year, and it's not retroactively going to change anything. Dawson might really be Magic Johnson 2.0, but it doesn't necessarily mean he would have been better LAST season.

Just to clarify - I also would prefer Dawson at PG to Derrick this season (even if PG isn't Dawson's ideal position)  However, this season Wojo has a few other options and I HOPE like hell Carlino/Duane are getting the bulk of the minutes at PG.  I'm sorry, I just don't see how Derrick is going to be worthy of being anything more than a role player at best ~10 minutes/game at this level. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2014, 10:42:02 AM »
Just to clarify - I also would prefer Dawson at PG to Derrick this season (even if PG isn't Dawson's ideal position) 

We know you would--no need to clarify....your position on that is crystal clear. :)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2014, 10:45:10 AM »
Just to clarify - I also would prefer Dawson at PG to Derrick this season (even if PG isn't Dawson's ideal position)  However, this season Wojo has a few other options and I HOPE like hell Carlino/Duane are getting the bulk of the minutes at PG.  I'm sorry, I just don't see how Derrick is going to be worthy of being anything more than a role player at best ~10 minutes/game at this level.  

I think that's part of the disconnect here... I don't think anyone is really advocating for Derrick to get big minutes.

I'm a big Derrick fan (I can't explain it, I just like him), but even in my optimistic world, Derrick is a decent role player that could play up to 20mpg, and would likely be better with less minutes.

So, maybe everybody can just turn down the debate a little bit? We have people arguing tooth and nail over 5-10mpg of PG minutes.

Everybody say it with me: Derrick is a role player who should get between 10-20mpg depending upon his effectiveness and the other options available. Super controversial. I know.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:47:16 AM by Canned Goods n Ammo »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2014, 10:55:27 AM »
However, this season Wojo has a few other options and I HOPE like hell Carlino/Duane are getting the bulk of the minutes at PG. 

I don't think you will find a single person that disagrees with that statement.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »
Just to clarify - I also would prefer Dawson at PG to Derrick this season (even if PG isn't Dawson's ideal position.

I don't think that position required any clarification. Wojo obviously disagrees.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2014, 11:06:31 AM »
Just to clarify - I also would prefer Dawson at PG to Derrick this season (even if PG isn't Dawson's ideal position)  However, this season Wojo has a few other options and I HOPE like hell Carlino/Duane are getting the bulk of the minutes at PG.  I'm sorry, I just don't see how Derrick is going to be worthy of being anything more than a role player at best ~10 minutes/game at this level. 

For the record we made the elite 8 with derrick playing more than 10min so history would disagree with you that he at best should play no more than 10. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2014, 11:32:17 AM »
For the record we made the elite 8 with derrick playing more than 10min so history would disagree with you that he at best should play no more than 10. 

That's a logical fallacy.  He was the ONLY backup PG on the roster, and got those minutes out of default.  Cadougan's size/conditioning were such that he wouldn't have been at his optimum if he were playing 30+ per game.  Not to mention we were some very last minute heroics from Vander and Jamil to being bounced in the 1st and 2nd rounds of that same Elite 8 run.

But - yes - Derrick as a game manager, can play a role:  Spot minutes to give guys a breather, play physical D, and not screw things up while the starter is on the bench (screw things up = turnovers)