Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Missing Element  (Read 18298 times)

Nevada233

• All American
Re: Missing Element
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2014, 10:36:26 AM »
So what you're suggesting is that not 1 but 2 guys who are being paid literally millions of dollars (and their multiple assistants who help them make these decisions) to determine whether someone is good enough to play these minutes and who see these kids in practice 10-20 hours/week have determined he isn't good enough to play minutes over these other guys, but we can't come to that conclusion because we haven't seen him play enough. Well then, you must've played high school basketball.

Not saying that. All all im saying is I cant draw conclusions to someone I've never really even saw at this level... My opinion is just that... When I saw him play 20+ Minutes it was our biggest game of the year and he delivered, I'm a fan of his. I won't say he's better or worse than anyone. I'll reserve judgement until I see him play again wether its at Marquette or at another School......

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2014, 10:41:05 AM »
Not saying that. All all im saying is I cant draw conclusions to someone I've never really even saw at this level... My opinion is just that... When I saw him play 20+ Minutes it was our biggest game of the year and he delivered, I'm a fan of his. I won't say he's better or worse than anyone. I'll reserve judgement until I see him play again wether its at Marquette or at another School......

That's a fair response and I can't disagree with any of it. My personal thinking is that if the Georgetown game is what Dawson could give us night in and night out then I think he'd show that in practice and thus get more time on the court in games. Sometimes a player just gets hot and you ride him for a game. Unfortunately that seems to be the case with Dawson given that he's having a hard time finding the court. I would love for him to prove to everyone that the Georgetown game was not an outlier but was in fact just him showing us what he's got. It's early in the season and with 9/10 guys available he'll have his opportunities to prove he deserves the minutes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2014, 12:18:09 PM »
That's a fair response and I can't disagree with any of it. My personal thinking is that if the Georgetown game is what Dawson could give us night in and night out then I think he'd show that in practice and thus get more time on the court in games. Sometimes a player just gets hot and you ride him for a game. Unfortunately that seems to be the case with Dawson given that he's having a hard time finding the court. I would love for him to prove to everyone that the Georgetown game was not an outlier but was in fact just him showing us what he's got. It's early in the season and with 9/10 guys available he'll have his opportunities to prove he deserves the minutes.

Touche'

With as thin of a lineup as we have all questions will be answered this year for sure.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2014, 09:42:47 AM »
Given how he likely will be used this season and the talent we have coming in for 2015-16, I think it's possible that Dawson might opt to give one of those schools a try.

If he thinks he can help Marquette and/or he is enjoying the overall Marquette experience and he stays, I will be thrilled. If he wants to go elsewhere for playing time, that would be completely understandable. I hope for the best for him -- and for all of our guys.
Hope he loved the MU experience.  Seems like he comes from a good family that looks at the bigger picture.  Maybe he's one of those guys that will contribute important spot minutes as a Junior and Senior.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:39:09 PM by Ellenson for an mu-rara »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2014, 10:16:23 AM »
...my argument all of last season and one I still believe - even if Dawson were played out of position at PG last season, he would have been a hell of a lot better option than Derrick - for many reasons, but the most basic of which is that the opposition would have needed to guard him all over the floor, which would have greatly helped our biggest weapon (Davante) be even more productive.  Additionally, Dawson sees the floor better than Derrick.  

I know I'm late to this thread, but can we all just agree on something:

Ners thought Dawson was a better option at PG last season.

Several posters don't agree with that.

Done. Be done. Fin. End.

Please don't let this season somehow turn into "gotcha!" evidence for that tired discussion/debate. It's going to get old. Fast.

Derrick could score 75 pts in 1 game this year, and it's not retroactively going to change anything. Dawson might really be Magic Johnson 2.0, but it doesn't necessarily mean he would have been better LAST season.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »

I could agree with your position if* Dawson started that Georgetown game "hot."  But, he didn't - he had 5 points going into overtime, and then went on to score 7 more.  He was playing a solid floor game throughout, solid defensively, some assists, etc - but don't see that as being a case of Buzz "riding" a hot player.

Hope he gets an opportunity to show what he can do this year.  Was surprised how few minutes he got against TN Martin - would have thought all the young guys woud get fairly equal PT against the weaker teams in nonconference play.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:23:08 AM by NersEllenson »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2014, 10:28:19 AM »
I know I'm late to this thread, but can we all just agree on something:

Ners thought Dawson was a better option at PG last season.

Several posters don't agree with that.

Done. Be done. Fin. End.

Please don't let this season somehow turn into "gotcha!" evidence for that tired discussion/debate. It's going to get old. Fast.

Derrick could score 75 pts in 1 game this year, and it's not retroactively going to change anything. Dawson might really be Magic Johnson 2.0, but it doesn't necessarily mean he would have been better LAST season.

Just to clarify - I also would prefer Dawson at PG to Derrick this season (even if PG isn't Dawson's ideal position)  However, this season Wojo has a few other options and I HOPE like hell Carlino/Duane are getting the bulk of the minutes at PG.  I'm sorry, I just don't see how Derrick is going to be worthy of being anything more than a role player at best ~10 minutes/game at this level. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2014, 10:42:02 AM »
Just to clarify - I also would prefer Dawson at PG to Derrick this season (even if PG isn't Dawson's ideal position) 

We know you would--no need to clarify....your position on that is crystal clear. :)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2014, 10:45:10 AM »
Just to clarify - I also would prefer Dawson at PG to Derrick this season (even if PG isn't Dawson's ideal position)  However, this season Wojo has a few other options and I HOPE like hell Carlino/Duane are getting the bulk of the minutes at PG.  I'm sorry, I just don't see how Derrick is going to be worthy of being anything more than a role player at best ~10 minutes/game at this level.  

I think that's part of the disconnect here... I don't think anyone is really advocating for Derrick to get big minutes.

I'm a big Derrick fan (I can't explain it, I just like him), but even in my optimistic world, Derrick is a decent role player that could play up to 20mpg, and would likely be better with less minutes.

So, maybe everybody can just turn down the debate a little bit? We have people arguing tooth and nail over 5-10mpg of PG minutes.

Everybody say it with me: Derrick is a role player who should get between 10-20mpg depending upon his effectiveness and the other options available. Super controversial. I know.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:47:16 AM by Canned Goods n Ammo »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2014, 10:55:27 AM »
However, this season Wojo has a few other options and I HOPE like hell Carlino/Duane are getting the bulk of the minutes at PG. 

I don't think you will find a single person that disagrees with that statement.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »
Just to clarify - I also would prefer Dawson at PG to Derrick this season (even if PG isn't Dawson's ideal position.

I don't think that position required any clarification. Wojo obviously disagrees.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2014, 11:06:31 AM »
Just to clarify - I also would prefer Dawson at PG to Derrick this season (even if PG isn't Dawson's ideal position)  However, this season Wojo has a few other options and I HOPE like hell Carlino/Duane are getting the bulk of the minutes at PG.  I'm sorry, I just don't see how Derrick is going to be worthy of being anything more than a role player at best ~10 minutes/game at this level. 

For the record we made the elite 8 with derrick playing more than 10min so history would disagree with you that he at best should play no more than 10. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2014, 11:32:17 AM »
For the record we made the elite 8 with derrick playing more than 10min so history would disagree with you that he at best should play no more than 10. 

That's a logical fallacy.  He was the ONLY backup PG on the roster, and got those minutes out of default.  Cadougan's size/conditioning were such that he wouldn't have been at his optimum if he were playing 30+ per game.  Not to mention we were some very last minute heroics from Vander and Jamil to being bounced in the 1st and 2nd rounds of that same Elite 8 run.

But - yes - Derrick as a game manager, can play a role:  Spot minutes to give guys a breather, play physical D, and not screw things up while the starter is on the bench (screw things up = turnovers)

feedback