[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coaches luncheon - Chicago  (Read 30489 times)

JenLada

• Walk-On
Re: Coaches luncheon - Chicago
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2014, 04:25:49 PM »
Jen,

I sincerely apologize for offending you.  If you did pronounce Coach Krieger's name correctly, then I propose that in the future they hold this event in a place with better acoustics.  As I said, I wasn't the only person who thought you were calling her "Coach Peters".  As a journalist, I would hope you would give a person the benefit of the doubt before you call her a liar.

And I wasn't asking for questions that would "ambush" the coaches or make them feel "uncomfortable".  I was simply hoping for some questions that haven't already been asked a dozen times by other reporters.  I don't think that's too much to ask. I didn't submit any questions myself, so perhaps it's my own fault for not coming up with an insightful question myself.

Fair enough. Thank you. I know the organizing group worked tirelessly to not only get this event back in Chicago but also pull it off. I'm certain they would be open to listening to suggestions on how to make it even better in the future.

Go Marquette!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2014, 04:31:48 PM »
If you want to go next year, just let me know. I'll get you a ticket gratis and you can sit at our table. Our table is traditionally near the front, with real Marquette fans who are there to support Marquette through thick and thin and proud to do so. You'll find that Marquette rewards its die-hard loyal fans even if they aren't huge financial boosters.

I love the opportunity to connect and reconnect with MU friends and make new ones. I'd be happy to pay a small fee to have lunch at the legendary Union League Club, surrounded by my friends and fellow Marquette fans. I was also proud of everyone from Marquette for putting on such a great event. I've been going to the event for years, going back to the Deane years when some of the crowds were small. Buzz cancelled doing the event after the first year of his being the head coach for reasons that were never made clear.

As for Jen Lada, she did a great job. She represents Marquette well and we should thank her for taking the time out of HER day to help put on a great program. Looking forward to the season. Ring Out Ahoya.

Commons, thanks for the generous offer.  If I am still working in the Loop this time next year (and I probably won't be), I will consider taking you up on it.
Have some patience, FFS.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2014, 05:30:10 PM »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2014, 07:02:16 PM »
Jen,

I sincerely apologize for offending you.  If you did pronounce Coach Krieger's name correctly, then I propose that in the future they hold this event in a place with better acoustics.  As I said, I wasn't the only person who thought you were calling her "Coach Peters".  As a journalist, I would hope you would give a person the benefit of the doubt before you call her a liar.

And I wasn't asking for questions that would "ambush" the coaches or make them feel "uncomfortable".  I was simply hoping for some questions that haven't already been asked a dozen times by other reporters.  I don't think that's too much to ask. I didn't submit any questions myself, so perhaps it's my own fault for not coming up with an insightful question myself.

Wow. Looks like EllensonChick has been schooled. But hey, it can be blamed on the acoustics, or Bush.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »
Holy crap.  How did I miss all this?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2014, 07:35:47 PM »
I've been to these luncheons with many coaches: Dukiet, O'Neill, Crean. This was definitely the pablum-est of them all. That's not Jen's fault but more the format. Plus, I don't think Wojo is as quick with then bon mots as O'Neill was. More substance than flash, and that's a compliment. Coach Kieger seemed to be holding it back but my guess is she will be quite animated on the bench and will be much more enjoyable at next year's luncheon.

Jen, it wasn't your best work but you kept your enthusiasm up and did an OK job with what was before you. Love your Marquette spirit! I'm a fan of Chick but that was a little harsh.

And the Union League Club is a step up for sure!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2014, 07:56:15 PM »
Wow. Looks like EllensonChick has been schooled. But hey, it can be blamed on the acoustics, or Bush.

I knew this thread would eventually result in toilet talk, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2014, 08:01:12 PM »
I knew this thread would eventually result in toilet talk, hey?
Epic

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2014, 08:16:56 PM »
If Jen Lada is posting on here, that's awesome. She works her tail off on CSN, she might be friends with some of the other reporters there at CSN, but she asks far better questions and offers more real insight than any of them (cough Stuckmeyer cough).

Hope she keeps posting here, this board needs someone like her on here.

Wojo Era

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2014, 08:21:01 PM »
It's $35 - were you expecting to sit on Wojo's lap for this huge expense?  Sheesh

Uh, yes.  Especially since I had no access to coaches and I don't recall any actual entertainment.

And by the way, if Jen Lada was offended by what I said, you guys better hope she doesn't do a search on her name on this board and see what some of y'all have said about her.

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2014, 09:00:51 PM »
KO's events were the best. Deane's were good, too because he drank mostly.  Buzz slung a bit too much of the aw shucks stuff and Crean was pure coach speak. I suspect Wojo will be pretty vanilla.  Quick story:

I went to an alumni dinner in Racine during KO's 1st year.  Somebody asked him to talk about the recruiting class he just put together. This was after the Key/Mac class verbaled but before signing day.  I know most know but for those who don't it's a violation for coaches to talk about recruits before they sign.  KO asked "is there any press here?"

Everyone in the room pointed at Gerry Woelful.  KO looked at him and said "you can't print this."  Gerry said nothing at first and KO just stared at him.  After a few seconds Woelful said "fine" and KO proceeded to talk about every recruit.  My man crush started right there. But it basically ruined all the events I went to after cuz I was disappointed when all future coaches held back on that stuff.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2014, 09:04:26 PM »
If Jen Lada is posting on here, that's awesome. She works her tail off on CSN, she might be friends with some of the other reporters there at CSN, but she asks far better questions and offers more real insight than any of them (cough Stuckmeyer cough).

Hope she keeps posting here, this board needs someone like her on here.

+1
But this board also needs WarriorChick.
Ludum habemus.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »
Holy crap.  How did I miss all this?

That's what you get for letting her out of the house.

/ducks

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2014, 09:21:57 PM »
Now if Jason Derusha could get off his ass and organize one of these in the Twin Cities....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2014, 09:50:27 PM »
+1
But this board also needs WarriorChick.

I agree. Chick brings a lot to this board. She whiffed in this thread, but we all have those moments.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2014, 09:51:57 PM »
Be nice one and all.

Nice to know Ellensonchick is down in the Loop -- brings class to the place!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2014, 10:02:45 PM »
Jen Lada's Beer Money on CSN is the best half hour on television

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2014, 10:29:55 PM »
If you want to go next year, just let me know. I'll get you a ticket gratis and you can sit at our table. Our table is traditionally near the front, with real Marquette fans who are there to support Marquette through thick and thin and proud to do so. You'll find that Marquette rewards its die-hard loyal fans even if they aren't huge financial boosters.

I love the opportunity to connect and reconnect with MU friends and make new ones. I'd be happy to pay a small fee to have lunch at the legendary Union League Club, surrounded by my friends and fellow Marquette fans. I was also proud of everyone from Marquette for putting on such a great event. I've been going to the event for years, going back to the Deane years when some of the crowds were small. Buzz cancelled doing the event after the first year of his being the head coach for reasons that were never made clear.

As for Jen Lada, she did a great job. She represents Marquette well and we should thank her for taking the time out of HER day to help put on a great program. Looking forward to the season. Ring Out Ahoya.

Agree completely, although I have not been to other events.  I thought the event was very nice and a great opportunity to meet old friends and make new friends.  I agree that not much new was added to what I have learned from this board, but several at our table clearly are not on this board and very much enjoyed the event.  Many commented on Jen and what a great job she has done representing the university in the relatively short time since her graduation.  I am mad at myself for not taking the opportunity to approach the coaches and their staff, but was enjoying the conversations I was having with fellow alumni at the time.  I will definitely attend future events and hope MU keeps up the good work. 

I can appreciate Chick's issues with acoustics (I was actually stuck behind a pillar).  The acoustics are not great, but the Union League is a jewel and if you have not stopped to enjoy the artwork, do so next time.  It is one of the best collections in the area.  Go MU!

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2014, 09:09:26 AM »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2014, 10:24:15 AM »
The funny thing about this event is Wojo was back in MKE working by 3:30pm whereas Deane and KO may still be throwing them back at the Coq d'Or right now.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2014, 10:38:43 AM »
What a horribly inaccurate and ignorant depiction of my role at the event. Never once did I call Carolyn (who I actually know from Marquette) by the wrong name. Perhaps it was an acoustics issue that ALL of you (in the "cheap seats") were experiencing. But thank you for the benefit of the doubt. Feel free to ask Carolyn for further confirmation. My goodness.

In addition, the questions were submitted by those in attendance and alumni, selected and approved by the university's group overseeing the function and previewed by the coaches themselves. I can't imagine that such control would be a foreign concept to anyone in a professional environment. It was not the goal to ambush these coaches or make them feel uncomfortable with a pressing line of questioning. It was to introduce them to the Chicago fan base. As for those selected vs asked, I asked almost every question I was given. Including  their inquiries about Chicago.

If you didn't enjoy the event, fine. On behalf of the athletics department and those who put it together, I apologize. But  spreading lies & information without context isn't something I'd expect from a member of the Marquette community.

Jen Lada

Thanks for stopping by and providing your heartfelt rebuttal. You deserve respect, not scorn.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2014, 10:44:59 AM »
As an update, Jen and I have communicated privately and we're cool now.  I think we can give this subject a rest.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2014, 10:51:24 AM »
Cant believe I missed this. I just love how posters who usually dont post come out of the woodwork to rip on chick when she is one of the best posters here.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2014, 10:58:13 AM »
Cant believe I missed this. I just love how posters who usually dont post come out of the woodwork to rip on chick when she is one of the best posters here.

Thanks, Chitown, and everyone else who said they appreciate my posts.   :-*
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2014, 11:18:55 AM »
 :-*

I think you may have just made PRN and Ziggy's weekend
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."