[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ray Rice let go by Ravens  (Read 93319 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: Ray Rice let go by Ravens
« Reply #275 on: October 29, 2014, 11:27:15 AM »
What's an MRA?

Men's Right Activist. Basically the worst people on the internet who think women are the enemy.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #276 on: October 29, 2014, 12:11:07 PM »
You know Freddy Krueger is a fictional character who didn't actually murder anyone, right?

So wearing a Bob Marley costume is offensive, but wearing a costume with blood dripping off a chainsaw is ok.  Cool.  Got it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #277 on: October 29, 2014, 12:11:40 PM »
Oh my god, you're an MRA.

Did you read the article?   I'm about fairness, that guy is getting hosed.  Did you notice he was African American....does that make me a AAMRA?   
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:17:00 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #278 on: October 29, 2014, 12:12:29 PM »
Christ you're an idiot. It doesn't matter how it makes YOU feel. It IS racism in one of it's most obvious forms.

So you didn't read the article by the African American that agrees 100% with me on this.....you can call me an idiot all you want....I guess you are calling him an idiot as well.  Must be an Uncle Tom Idiot...right?  LOL

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #279 on: October 29, 2014, 12:14:27 PM »
Doing something blatantly offensive such as wearing blackface doesn't necessarily make one a racist bigoted jaghole. More likely, it makes you misinformed and tone deaf.

Incessantly defending such actions on the other hand ....

Also, TIL that a person dating an African American couldn't possibly do anything offensive. I'll add this to the "but I have black/Hispanic/gay friends" defense for bigotry.

Perhaps true, but to make a ridiculous statement that Reinko made with such broad strokes was just that...ridiculous.  As for Ted Danson, I don't find your analogy compelling.  IMO.

Again, it's Halloween.  Context is everything.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #280 on: October 29, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »
But he's our douchebag!

Brandx calling me a douchebag when he called my wife a liar....there is a special place in hypocrisy land for Brandx.  I also love his liberal "tolerance", if you don't agree with his views of the world, you're a douchebag.....tolerance baby....progress....moving forward.   

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #281 on: October 29, 2014, 12:21:48 PM »
Good sweet gentle baby jeebus....even I'm considering using the report to moderator feature on this thread....firebomb this whole damn thread.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brandx

« Reply #282 on: October 29, 2014, 12:25:08 PM »
Brandx calling me a douchebag when he called my wife a liar....there is a special place in hypocrisy land for Brandx.  I also love his liberal "tolerance", if you don't agree with his views of the world, you're a douchebag.....tolerance baby....progress....moving forward.   

As I have said before - I don't believe I have ever referenced your wife in any way, in any form, or at any time. But just to be sure, maybe you could ask that secret black "friend" of yours.

You are the liar.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #283 on: October 29, 2014, 12:25:14 PM »
Christ you're an idiot. It doesn't matter how it makes YOU feel. It IS racism in one of it's most obvious forms.

Could you please not use the Lord's name in vain....it's incredibly disappointing and even though it may not impact you, it impacts others.  Thanks
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:55:25 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #284 on: October 29, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »
So wearing a Bob Marley costume is offensive, but wearing a costume with blood dripping off a chainsaw is ok.  Cool.  Got it.

A Bob Marley costume and blackface are synonymous?
But yes, dressing as a fictional character - even a murderous one - is indeed less offensive than blackface.

As has often been the case, you're either completely obtuse regarding historical context or willfully ignorant of it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #285 on: October 29, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
A Bob Marley costume and blackface are synonymous?
But yes, dressing as a fictional character - even a murderous one - is indeed less offensive than blackface.

As has often been the case, you're either completely obtuse regarding historical context or willfully ignorant of it.

Well, you may want to talk to him and others.  I guess he, as an African American, is obtuse and or willfully ignorant.  His email is attached, please feel free to educate him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/ike-awgu/blackface-halloween-racism_b_4177000.html

tower912

• All American
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:54:26 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #287 on: October 29, 2014, 12:52:33 PM »
Well, you may want to talk to him and others.  I guess he, as an African American, is obtuse and or willfully ignorant.  His email is attached, please feel free to educate him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/ike-awgu/blackface-halloween-racism_b_4177000.html

Nice try, Chico's, but the author here says essentially the same thing I said a few posts ago ... that wearing blackface isn't necessarily racist, but it is offensive.

Now, if I go find a link to a essay by an African American who says blackface is indeed racist, will you then agree  ... since the author is African American? Or does that lame little rhetorical trick only work when it's a person who you think - in this case, wrongly - shares your position?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #288 on: October 29, 2014, 12:56:52 PM »
I don't know if I'm "offended" by blackface...

But, I do think it's in poor taste, and I would never recommend it to my friends.

Sort of like cargo shorts.

haha amazing analogy

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #289 on: October 29, 2014, 02:04:21 PM »
Shame on me for jumping in this thread...

Here's an explanation of why blackface is so offensive.
http://www.vox.com/2014/10/29/7089591/dont-get-whats-wrong-with-blackface-heres-why-its-so-offensive

"The ability to be ignorant, to be unaware of the history and consequences of racial bigotry, to simply do as one pleases, is a quintessential element of privilege. The ability to disparage, to demonize, to ridicule, and to engage in racially hurtful practices from the comfort of one's segregated neighborhoods and racially homogeneous schools reflects both privilege and power. The ability to blame others for being oversensitive, for playing the race card, or for making much ado about nothing are privileges codified structurally and culturally."

or perhaps you like helpful pictures

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

brandx

« Reply #290 on: October 29, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »
Shame on me for jumping in this thread...

Here's an explanation of why blackface is so offensive.
http://www.vox.com/2014/10/29/7089591/dont-get-whats-wrong-with-blackface-heres-why-its-so-offensive

"The ability to be ignorant, to be unaware of the history and consequences of racial bigotry, to simply do as one pleases, is a quintessential element of privilege. The ability to disparage, to demonize, to ridicule, and to engage in racially hurtful practices from the comfort of one's segregated neighborhoods and racially homogeneous schools reflects both privilege and power. The ability to blame others for being oversensitive, for playing the race card, or for making much ado about nothing are privileges codified structurally and culturally."

or perhaps you like helpful pictures

Despite my earlier post, I agree almost completely.

I just think Halloween - which has evolved into a holiday to see who can be the most tasteless and offensive - may be the one time it is acceptable because it is not a statement of someone's beliefs (as it would be if done at any other time).

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #291 on: October 29, 2014, 03:43:13 PM »
Yeah, I've boycotted Cheers forever since their star once went in costume with blackface....with Whoopi Goldberg I might add.

Went to see The Judge a few days ago, whenever Robert Downey jr. appeared on screen I turned away due to his role in blackface several years ago. 

Someone has to have standards around here.

Nothing funnier than picturing Chicos sitting around watching Cheers thinking to himself, "They sure don't make sitcoms like they used to. Those were truly the halcyon days."

And Downey Jr. wore blackface to mock moronic actors who would do that thinking it was "method". Not surprising you would miss that not-so-subtle point.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #292 on: October 29, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
Chicos,
Do you find it acceptable for two people to go as slave and slave master for Halloween? Blackface, whip, whip marks, etc.

What about a blackface civil rights protestor and a police officer with a dog or firehose?

Curious if you have a place where you draw the line.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #293 on: October 29, 2014, 06:39:12 PM »
Nice try, Chico's, but the author here says essentially the same thing I said a few posts ago ... that wearing blackface isn't necessarily racist, but it is offensive.

Now, if I go find a link to a essay by an African American who says blackface is indeed racist, will you then agree  ... since the author is African American? Or does that lame little rhetorical trick only work when it's a person who you think - in this case, wrongly - shares your position?

Apparently Reinko and others here feel that it is an indication of the 364 other days that they are, indeed, racist. I'm glad to see this author doesn't agree. I'm glad to read some of the tweets in support of his position.  I was equally interested in reading the tweets that lambasted him, calling him an Uncle Tom.  Tolerance.  Progress.  Moving forward. 

Right back at you on the nice try....you'll note that I said someone will find it offensive, someone always does.  So you can find those articles if you wish, there are plenty out there, but I've already covered it.  There is always someone that is outraged over something....and nothing is easier to scream these days than racist, especially when there is no other argument.  It's been wonderful to see in the campaigns, that's for sure.  Don't agree with my position on environment...well...uhm...racist!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #294 on: October 29, 2014, 06:54:14 PM »
Chicos,
Do you find it acceptable for two people to go as slave and slave master for Halloween? Blackface, whip, whip marks, etc.

What about a blackface civil rights protestor and a police officer with a dog or firehose?

Curious if you have a place where you draw the line.

Absolutely would not....because that is a truly racial connotation.

Dressing up as Bob Marley isn't.   Dressing up as a slave owner with a whip, is.  As I said earlier, context and intent is everything.  That's why I like that author's point, that context and intent is, in fact, everything.  People run around screaming racism at every turn because its easy, when in fact that isn't the case at all.  In your example above, that would be the intent. 

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #295 on: October 29, 2014, 07:23:19 PM »

Dressing up as Bob Marley isn't.   Dressing up as a slave owner with a whip, is.  As I said earlier, context and intent is everything.  That's why I like that author's point, that context and intent is, in fact, everything.  People run around screaming racism at every turn because its easy, when in fact that isn't the case at all.  In your example above, that would be the intent. 

Thanks for clarifying. I understand but disagree.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #296 on: October 29, 2014, 07:30:41 PM »
Is wearing black face on Halloween racist?   Probably not.   But if you do,  you have probably used the n word to describe an African American who currently you off on the freeway.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #297 on: October 29, 2014, 08:00:43 PM »

Why do you keep changing "blackface" into "dressing up as Bob Marley?"
These are not the same thing.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #298 on: October 29, 2014, 08:07:15 PM »
Is wearing black face on Halloween racist?   Probably not.   But if you do,  you have probably used the n word to describe an African American who currently you off on the freeway.

Is teal not working?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #299 on: October 30, 2014, 11:08:50 AM »
Fun fact: Bob Marley was half white. His dad was a British guy who was a land surveyor in Jamaica
Bring back FFP!!!