[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ray Rice let go by Ravens  (Read 93212 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Ray Rice let go by Ravens
« on: September 08, 2014, 02:25:22 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Ray Rice let go by Ravens
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 04:55:52 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/08/us/ray-rice-new-video/

Looks like he gone for good.

Some of the hits that Harbaugh and others took might be softened now a bit.  I say that only if they didn't see the video, which I suspect Harbaugh, the team and NFL did not, despite requests for the video from law enforcement. Video is damning.  Now, should they have done more earlier on?  Many people will say yes.  I've always wondered what knocked her out...a punch, or a slight push where she hit her head, etc.  Clearly, it was the punch which is now there for everyone to see. Now people can stop complaining about the 2 game suspension.    
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:57:53 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »
Some of the hits that Harbaugh and others took might be softened now a bit.  I say that only if they didn't see the video, which I suspect Harbaugh, the team and NFL did not, despite requests for the video from law enforcement. Video is damning.  Now, should they have done more earlier on?  Many people will say yes.  I've always wondered what knocked her out...a punch, or a slight push where she hit her head, etc.  Clearly, it was the punch which is now there for everyone to see. Now people can stop complaining about the 2 game suspension.    

Until the Raiders sign him to a 4 year deal.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 05:10:56 PM by muarmy81 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 05:11:31 PM »
Until the Raiders sign him to a 4 year deal.

LOL.

By the way, before one of my fans here goes all bent crazy, I'm not condoning a push, a slap, a punch, etc.  My point was that what may have been described to the Ravens or NFL could have been one thing, while the video shows something entirely different.  I'm glad I took Rice's backup in Fantasy, though he clearly sucked yesterday. 

brandx

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 05:29:17 PM »
Some of the hits that Harbaugh and others took might be softened now a bit.  I say that only if they didn't see the video, which I suspect Harbaugh, the team and NFL did not, despite requests for the video from law enforcement. Video is damning.  Now, should they have done more earlier on?  Many people will say yes.  I've always wondered what knocked her out...a punch, or a slight push where she hit her head, etc.  Clearly, it was the punch which is now there for everyone to see. Now people can stop complaining about the 2 game suspension.    

So TMZ is able to get the video, but the NFL can not? Sounds ridiculous to me.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 06:23:04 PM »
I'm not at all buying that the NFL didn't see this video before. Doesn't pass the smell test

Also, is there anything more hilarious that watching Ray Lewis talk about morals and ethics in this situation?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 06:29:31 PM »
I'm not at all buying that the NFL didn't see this video before. Doesn't pass the smell test

Also, is there anything more hilarious that watching Ray Lewis talk about morals and ethics in this situation?

On the flip side of that, I find it really hard to believe that if they did see the video that they would not have expected it to leak.  That is a damning video if I ever did see one and you have to assume that those things get out.  Maybe they did see it, but the NFL guys I have dealt with over the years are pretty damn smart and this would be a major miss by them if they did see it and reacted accordingly.

Until I see some evidence that suggests they really did see it, I'm assuming they didn't because they would have acted differently knowing the video would come out eventually.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 06:47:35 PM »
On the flip side of that, I find it really hard to believe that if they did see the video that they would not have expected it to leak.  That is a damning video if I ever did see one and you have to assume that those things get out.  Maybe they did see it, but the NFL guys I have dealt with over the years are pretty damn smart and this would be a major miss by them if they did see it and reacted accordingly.

Until I see some evidence that suggests they really did see it, I'm assuming they didn't because they would have acted differently knowing the video would come out eventually.

Does this count at all?

http://deadspin.com/has-peter-king-read-his-own-reporting-on-the-ray-rice-f-1631901579

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »
Does this count at all?

http://deadspin.com/has-peter-king-read-his-own-reporting-on-the-ray-rice-f-1631901579

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/08/ray-rice-nfl-domestic-violence-video-peter-king/

A bunch of us were talking about it this afternoon and we all deal with the NFL.  To a man, we would be surprised if they gave that level of suspension and had seen the tape.  They are so risk averse and calculate risk in everything that they do, we would be very surprised if they actually thought this video wasn't going to get out.  We might be totally wrong, in which case we would be very surprised.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/08/ray-rice-nfl-domestic-violence-video-peter-king/

A bunch of us were talking about it this afternoon and we all deal with the NFL.  To a man, we would be surprised if they gave that level of suspension and had seen the tape.  They are so risk averse and calculate risk in everything that they do, we would be very surprised if they actually thought this video wasn't going to get out.  We might be totally wrong, in which case we would be very surprised.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Pffft. If they were risk averse they would have done more than the 2 game suspension initially.

What I don't get is why people are so upset now. Yes, it's an awful video.. but when he came out and admitted to hitting her, did they think he didn't really hit her? Cripes. "Oh, NOW that I've seen it, I am mad! I got over it when it was just admitted to by the loser."

Anyway, just another scumball. Hope she doesn't stay with dude, but that's how it often works.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 07:09:30 PM »

right on jes-if they didn't see it, they didn't want to see it.  some where, robin givens is going OUCH! damn girl, that looked like it hurt.  even mike tyson is embarrassed :o  and ray lewis is his sponsor in the sensitivity training sessions ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

brandx

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 07:21:37 PM »
right on jes-if they didn't see it, they didn't want to see it.  some where, robin givens is going OUCH! damn girl, that looked like it hurt.  even mike tyson is embarrassed :o  and ray lewis is his sponsor in the sensitivity training sessions ;D

And Michael Irvin and Johnny Football are giving "moral" support.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 07:26:55 PM »
Pffft. If they were risk averse they would have done more than the 2 game suspension initially.

What I don't get is why people are so upset now. Yes, it's an awful video.. but when he came out and admitted to hitting her, did they think he didn't really hit her? Cripes. "Oh, NOW that I've seen it, I am mad! I got over it when it was just admitted to by the loser."

Anyway, just another scumball. Hope she doesn't stay with dude, but that's how it often works.

We'll see how it shakes out, but if they did see the video and only did 2 games, that's crazy and not something I would expect from them.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 08:22:54 PM »
I'm guessing we'll find out if the NFL/Ravens knew about the video before today eventually. In the meantime, shouldn't Goodell step down? Has he screwed up enough lately and enough with this one incident to instill a lack of confidence in his leadership?

Also, the Ravens, including their fans, are a terrible organization.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/iowa/super-page/keith-olbermann-just-ripped-roger-goodell-and-everybody-involved-with-the-ray-rice-situation-a-new-pretty boy/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:27:42 PM by jesmu84 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 08:57:37 PM »
I don't know.  Goodell has made a lot of money for his owners.  And they like money.

What would concern me however is that the NFL seems to be concerned over short term money gains, but I am wondering if some of these are at the expense of its long-term brand.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 09:12:30 PM »
I don't know.  Goodell has made a lot of money for his owners.  And they like money.

What would concern me however is that the NFL seems to be concerned over short term money gains, but I am wondering if some of these are at the expense of its long-term brand.

So they're just like every other corporation?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 09:16:30 PM »
http://www.barstoolsports.com/m/boston/super-page/tmz-says-they-have-proof-roger-goodell-knew-about-the-2nd-ray-rice-video-but-does-it-really-matter/

Here's a good question posed: why did the second video matter? Why did it change things? Is it just a matter of perception? I'm fairly sure rice admitted he hit her. And we saw her being unconscious. A public leak of the video makes everyone scurry to cover their asses. Everyone should be ashamed

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 09:20:13 PM »
BTW, what about the brilliance of TMZ releasing this stuff on the NFL's opening weekend.  Just when they thought this stuff blew over, and are at the brink of celebrating getting "back to football," TMZ connects with this body blow. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 09:22:02 PM »
I'm guessing we'll find out if the NFL/Ravens knew about the video before today eventually. In the meantime, shouldn't Goodell step down? Has he screwed up enough lately and enough with this one incident to instill a lack of confidence in his leadership?

Also, the Ravens, including their fans, are a terrible organization.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/iowa/super-page/keith-olbermann-just-ripped-roger-goodell-and-everybody-involved-with-the-ray-rice-situation-a-new-pretty boy/

The owners employ the commissioner.  He had helped to bring labor peace, a ton of revenue, about to have a performance enhancing drug policy for the first time ever, etc.

I'm just curious, what is it that you think he has screwed up that would lead to him stepping down?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 09:27:24 PM »

No most corporations have a better understanding of public relations than the NFL does.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with making money.  But doing everything you can to make every single dime you can, but at the cost of eroding your brand image, isn't a step most corporations will take. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 09:30:43 PM »
http://www.barstoolsports.com/m/boston/super-page/tmz-says-they-have-proof-roger-goodell-knew-about-the-2nd-ray-rice-video-but-does-it-really-matter/

Here's a good question posed: why did the second video matter? Why did it change things? Is it just a matter of perception? I'm fairly sure rice admitted he hit her. And we saw her being unconscious. A public leak of the video makes everyone scurry to cover their asses. Everyone should be ashamed

Honestly, I do think it matters.  The story he gave and his wife (then fiance stated) is that he was acting in self defense.  She hit him multiple times, she claimed, and he reacted and hit her in self defense.  Did he knock her out, did her head hit something, was it a punch or a slap, etc, etc.  No one knew, only what both parties stated.  Looking at the video, it's hard to claim self defense despite what both said, though I could see someone say she is lungeing at him in the elevator....who knows.  Point is, if both parties are saying that, what is the NFL supposed to do IF (IF IF IF) they have not seen a video and don't know the circumstances in full? 

I think the video does matter.  You're under the assumption that there was an ass to be covered. If, in fact, they never saw the video, then they can only take the information they have from the parties involved.  Right?

Like it or not, video evidence is always going to change things, sometimes the other way.  I've seen stories where one party claims such and such happened and it was a brutal attack, etc, and the video shows quite the contrary.  Yet if that video evidence didn't exist, that person's story could have really screwed the other party.   

Check out the video today of a bunch of youths beating the crap out of three people in Memphis.  It's pretty dramatic.  Now, if that video didn't exist and it was just a matter of a story claiming an assault without the video evidence, I'm not sure it means the same thing.  Imagine if we had video in what happened in Ferguson, it would change dramatically how everyone feels about things because no one really knows what happened.

Yes, the video matters.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 09:31:13 PM »

I'm not even sure what this is even supposed to mean, other than a very broad brush is being painted.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 10:50:40 PM »
I'd add that the District Attorney didn't pursue this, which is interesting to me.  They allowed him to enter a diversionary program.  Now again, IF (IF IF IF) the Ravens and\or NFL didn't see the video and the prosecution's office is basically letting go to a program, AND his wife is saying it was partly her fault, etc, etc....what are the Ravens and NFL supposed to do?

Now, IF (IF IF IF IF) they did see the video, then of course it's a totally different issue.  I'd like to know what the prosecutorial office's take on this was to move in the direction they did.   

I'm sure interesting days ahead.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 12:06:54 AM »
Chicos, OF COURSE the NFL, the Ravens, Roger Goodell and all relative law enforcement saw this video.

Do you honestly believe that Harvey Levin has been in sole possession of this tape since jump street?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 12:37:10 AM »
Chicos, OF COURSE the NFL, the Ravens, Roger Goodell and all relative law enforcement saw this video.

Do you honestly believe that Harvey Levin has been in sole possession of this tape since jump street?

You have proof of this, or more conjecture on your part?

Do I think TMZ paid for it, sure. Do I think they have had it the whole time?  Unlikely. Do I think law enforcement saw it?  Yes.  Why did law enforcement not do anything about it?  Great question.

Do I think the Ravens and the NFL saw it, not so sure.   When you say "of course", that means you have definitive proof that is the case.  You don't have any such proof.

Let it play out, right now you are just guessing and nothing more.  Maybe they did see it, but until the facts come out no one knows.

Do you think they were stupid enough to see the video and expect it would never be released?  I have a lot harder time believing that, quite frankly....but anything is possible.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:38:52 AM by ChicosBailBonds »