[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Malaysian Flt #17  (Read 15795 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Malaysian Flt #17
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »
I understand that there is a NOTAM (didn't look it up though). NOTAM = Notice to Aiman in my day, I think it is referred to as a Notice to Aviators now, although I'm not sure how that is a NOTAM for those that are curious or care.

How dare you insult women by referring to Aviators as Airmen! I am going to report your misogynistic ass to HR and see to it that a Letter of Reprimand is placed in your Personnel jacket!

BTW, radome suggests E3A or Hawkeye hours. Am I wrong here?

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 05:30:52 PM »
It crashed in the Ukraine.

Did they find debris from it? Do they know how long it flew after they lost communication? Do they know what caused it to crash? Didn't hear anything, sorry if it's old news.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 05:35:42 PM »
Welp, looks like I may be making the move to Colombia sooner than expected.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 06:19:06 PM »
BTW, radome suggests E3A or Hawkeye hours. Am I wrong here?
P3

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 06:44:02 PM »
P3

Parpro or ASW? My first assignment was flying Vipers out of Misawa. We shared ramp space with both EP3's and P3C's. Damn things clogged up the pattern everyday but they were good guys to drink with.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:45:50 PM by keefe »

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 07:12:19 PM »
Yea, like I mentioned this smells too much like a double digit SAM which would have caused catastrophic failure in multiple systems. Ivan needs to get his ass kicked over this. Putin is a Czar and Commissar in one ugly package.

You and I both know that the only ass kicking will be economic and sanction-related.  There is absolutely no way that the west is going to get militarily involved over there.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 08:00:28 PM »

You and I both know that the only ass kicking will be economic and sanction-related.  There is absolutely no way that the west is going to get militarily involved over there.

The EU's measured response assures it. People need to realize though that Putin is not a nice man and what is going on in Mother Russia is not encouraging.

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 08:36:56 PM »

Agreed.

But are you suggesting that more be done? And if so, what?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 08:41:42 PM »
Agreed.

I was not actually suggesting a military response against Russia. From a practical standpoint, the EU would never go along with military action and the US would never go it alone so case closed. We need to learn more about this event but it is murder on a mass scale. 

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 08:55:33 PM »
Agreed.

Oh no.  It really is outside our sphere of influence and interest.  Economic sanctions are fine.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »
nm

brandx

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 09:07:50 PM »

Oh no.  It really is outside our sphere of influence and interest.  Economic sanctions are fine.

Thanks to you and Keefe. You guys are pretty sensible, so I figured that would be the response.

brandx

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 09:10:18 PM »
I was not actually suggesting a military response against Russia. From a practical standpoint, the EU would never go along with military action and the US would never go it alone so case closed. We need to learn more about this event but it is murder on a mass scale. 

I just started a book called The Things they Carried about the Vietnam War. I know you are a big-time reader so I am wondering if you have read it. Tim O'Brien is the author.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2014, 09:38:54 PM »
Sit down for this.  

Moscow is telling Reuters that MH-17 was mistaken for Putin's plane and this was really an assassination attempt on Putin gone wrong.

"The contours of the aircrafts are similar, linear dimensions are also very similar, as for the coloring, at a quite remote distance they are almost identical", the source added.

Putin was returning from Brazil where he attended the World Cup final and BRICs conference.  Putin's IL-96 followed some of the same route  as MH-17 a few minutes behind it.  Moscow is suggesting that the Ukrainian government confused the two planes and mistakenly started tracking MH-17.

“I can say that Putin’s plane and the Malaysian Boeing intersected at the same point and the same echelon. That was close to Warsaw on 330-m echelon at the height of 10,100 meters. The presidential jet was there at 16:21 Moscow time and the Malaysian aircraft - 15:44 Moscow time,” a source told the news agency on condition of anonymity.

Moscow is implying that the Ukrainian government, not separatist rebels, fired on the plane in an attempt to assassinate Putin.

http://rt.com/news/173672-malaysia-plane-crash-putin/

So Vlad is the victim here, not the aggressor.  We should all feel sorry for him.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 09:44:50 PM by Heisenberg »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2014, 10:27:03 PM »
What will the NCAA due to correct this?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »
Walk softly and carry no stick

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2014, 10:41:03 PM »

Tajikistan got put on probation today.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2014, 12:17:39 AM »
Tajikistan got put on probation today.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

UNFAIR!
SS Marquette

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2014, 12:45:56 AM »
Sit down for this.  

Moscow is telling Reuters that MH-17 was mistaken for Putin's plane and this was really an assassination attempt on Putin gone wrong.

"The contours of the aircrafts are similar, linear dimensions are also very similar, as for the coloring, at a quite remote distance they are almost identical", the source added.

Putin was returning from Brazil where he attended the World Cup final and BRICs conference.  Putin's IL-96 followed some of the same route  as MH-17 a few minutes behind it.  Moscow is suggesting that the Ukrainian government confused the two planes and mistakenly started tracking MH-17.

“I can say that Putin’s plane and the Malaysian Boeing intersected at the same point and the same echelon. That was close to Warsaw on 330-m echelon at the height of 10,100 meters. The presidential jet was there at 16:21 Moscow time and the Malaysian aircraft - 15:44 Moscow time,” a source told the news agency on condition of anonymity.

Moscow is implying that the Ukrainian government, not separatist rebels, fired on the plane in an attempt to assassinate Putin.

So Vlad is the victim here, not the aggressor.  We should all feel sorry for him.

If this was indeed a gov't-sponsored assassination attempt on the Russian head-of-state, it would not have failed. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2014, 08:30:41 AM »
Sit down for this.  

Boy that sure is convenient for Russia!  Gives them a 'justifiable' war.

What a crock.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2014, 08:47:17 AM »
If this was indeed a gov't-sponsored assassination attempt on the Russian head-of-state, it would not have failed. 

Why do you say that?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
RT (Russia Today) is the Russian Government News Service.  It is the organization that put out this Putin assassination propaganda.

Earlier today Sara Firth, their London Correspondent, resigned over the Russian coverage of MH-17

-----------------------------

Russia Today Correspondent Resigns Over Coverage Of Ukrainian Plane Crash

Sara Firth has been with the Kremlin-backed station since 2009 but quit over the way it handled Thursday’s Malaysia Airlines disaster.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/russia-today-correspondent-resigns-over-coverage-of-ukranian?bftw=main

Sara Firth, a longstanding London-based correspondent for Russia Today, resigned on Friday in protest at the channel’s coverage of the Malaysia Airlines crash.

Firth, who joined the channel in 2009, told BuzzFeed that she decided to resign from the Kremlin-funded news channel because she felt it was “disrespectfully” attempting to pin the blame for Thursday’s Malaysia Airlines disaster on the Ukrainian government.

“When this story broke I ran back into the newsroom and saw how we were covering it already and I just knew I had to go,” she said.

“It was the total disregard to the facts. We threw up eyewitness accounts from someone on the ground openly accusing the Ukrainian government [of involvement in the disaster], and a correspondent in the studio pulled up a plane crash before that the Ukrainian government had been involved in and said it was ‘worth mentioning’.

“It’s not worth mentioning. It’s Russia Today all over, it’s flirting with that border of overtly lying. You’re not telling a lie, you’re just bringing something up. I didn’t want to watch a story like that, where people have lost loved ones and we’re handling it like that.

“I couldn’t do it any more. Every single day we’re lying and finding sexier ways to do it.”

Russia Today has been hit by high-profile staff resignations before, most spectacularly when anchor Liz Wahl resigned live on air earlier this year.

Firth, a Briton who graduated from City University in 2009, worked out of the news channel’s Moscow base initially, before coming to work in London. She claims that inexperienced staff would be assigned to important stories in order to ensure they did not go off-message.

“The way it works with a story like this is that the people who are assigned are very obedient. The second you start to question or report honestly then you’re a problem.

“The first thing that happens is that they assign the usually least experienced in RT, the second is everyone else who’s involved [starts] phoning guests that have a particular viewpoint and are going to say a particular thing.”

While many journalists are attracted to Russia Today by healthy salaries and the prospect of a secure job, Firth said there was a belief there that you could stay “within the system and fight against the bad forces”.

She insists she never lied in any of her reports but became concerned about the airtime given to her journalism and was concerned that her reports were “lending credibility” to the channel’s other output. She alleges she was pulled out of Syria by channel bosses the day after filing a report highlighting the suffering of civilians in areas opposed to the Assad regime, which is backed by Russia’s president, Vladimir Putin.

Firth said she had immense respect for her “talented” colleagues and said the vast majority of journalists at the channel were working hard to tell the truth, but that the management “ignore that and push the rubbish”.

“It’s great team, so talented. But at the heart of that organisation it’s rotten. Until they have people operating at the top level who want to tell the truth and tell the facts then it’s not going to change.”

“There is a perception of RT as an evil genius but it’s actually just dangerous incompetence.”

Russia Today has been contacted for comment.

brandx

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2014, 08:53:08 AM »

It wasn't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2014, 08:57:33 AM »

Reduce the number of schollies, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2014, 09:07:07 AM »
It wasn't

Agreed.  Ukraine would have to be immeasurably foolish to think that assassination would work in their favor politically.  Even an attempt would cause their allies to abandon them, and give Russia a reason to declare war and annex Ukraine fully.  Which is why I called that story a crock.  No nation is that foolish.