'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another disrespectful article on MU hoops  (Read 8246 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Another disrespectful article on MU hoops
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 04:50:04 PM »
Besides this line: "Unfortunately for fans of the Milwaukee Bucks and/or Marquette University, the basketball landscape has been anything but good." there's nothing particularly insulting or inaccurate about the article. Yeah that part is woefully inaccurate, but there wasn't really anything wrong with the rest.

Derrick wilson will lead the way?
Maigh Eo for Sam

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »
Outside of a few inaccuracies, none of which were terribly consequential, I didn't think the article was *that* bad.

That's what I thought. Last year was the year I was excited about for MU Hoops, and something went wrong. This year, even with the class Buzz had coming in, was always going to be a rebuilding year. Having Buzz leave and taking some players with him made it just a bit bleaker. Wojo has his work cut out for him for sure.

The part I disliked was that it didn't give enough credit to the overall state of the program -- it's not in utter disrepair like VT. It's hitting a down swing like all programs (even Duke and UNC) go through.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »
After reading the article, I couldn't get through to add a comment for quite some time. I finally got my two cents in a few minutes ago. Enjoy!  ;D

July 15, 2014 at 6:48 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

This article is obviously “amateur hour” at its worst. First, get some things straight. Marquette is a great basketball program with an incredible tradition. It is not even close to being a place where Coach Wojo will have to “rebuild” and it most definitely is not a “troubled program” as you put it. Marquette was picked to win the Big East last season. They disappointed everyone, including their fans. However, the three years prior to that MU went to the Sweet 16, Sweet 16, and Elite 8. There was also a Big East Championship won two years ago. That is not the resume of a “struggling program”. Buzz Williams went to the NCAA Tournament 5 out of his 6 years at Marquette. Crean was consistently in the NCAA and guided the team to the Final Four in 2003. The current roster has at least 6 or 7 top 100 recruits. The current sophomore recruiting class was ranked in the top 10 nationally. So, if you are going to write an article, do some research first! Wojo came to Marquette for one major reason. He came to continue the tradition of maintaining a top tier program! A program that wins and produces NBA talent. Struggling programs don’t consistently develop players like Wade, Butler, Crowder, Novak, Matthews and others. Wojo knows Marquette’s tradition and he knows he can continue to bring in big time talent and win. Just like Buzz, Crean. Kevin O’Neil, Rick Majerus and Al McGuire did before him. Get your facts straight!
Read more at http://dukereport.com/alumni/jabari-wojo-wholl-better-milwaukee/dsmith/#4dhYSmjyzwHPVuoe.99
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:01:25 PM by hoops12 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 06:08:27 PM »
After reading the article, I couldn't get through to add a comment for quite some time. I finally got my two cents in a few minutes ago. Enjoy!  ;D

July 15, 2014 at 6:48 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

This article is obviously “amateur hour” at its worst. First, get some things straight. Marquette is a great basketball program with an incredible tradition. It is not even close to being a place where Coach Wojo will have to “rebuild” and it most definitely is not a “troubled program” as you put it. Marquette was picked to win the Big East last season. They disappointed everyone, including their fans. However, the three years prior to that MU went to the Sweet 16, Sweet 16, and Elite 8. There was also a Big East Championship won two years ago. That is not the resume of a “struggling program”. Buzz Williams went to the NCAA Tournament 5 out of his 6 years at Marquette. Crean was consistently in the NCAA and guided the team to the Final Four in 2003. The current roster has at least 6 or 7 top 100 recruits. The current sophomore recruiting class was ranked in the top 10 nationally. So, if you are going to write an article, do some research first! Wojo came to Marquette for one major reason. He came to continue the tradition of maintaining a top tier program! A program that wins and produces NBA talent. Struggling programs don’t consistently develop players like Wade, Butler, Crowder, Novak, Matthews and others. Wojo knows Marquette’s tradition and he knows he can continue to bring in big time talent and win. Just like Buzz, Crean. Kevin O’Neil, Rick Majerus and Al McGuire did before him. Get your facts straight!
Read more at http://dukereport.com/alumni/jabari-wojo-wholl-better-milwaukee/dsmith/#4dhYSmjyzwHPVuoe.99

Very similar to what I posted.  Still don't understand why we include Majerus when listing our best coaches I mean Deane at least got us to the NCAAs, Raymonds did so consistently.  Nagle and Hickey as well.  But other than that I love your post. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 06:22:17 PM »
This is a pretty fantastic lede:

"Fans of Wayne’s World and/or Alice Cooper will know that Milwaukee is an Algonquin name meaning, “The Good Land.” Unfortunately for fans of the Milwaukee Bucks and/or Marquette University, the basketball landscape has been anything but good."

That is just good writing.

Let's try to beat it.  I'll go with: "The Violent Femmes, from MIlwaukee, once sang "Good Feeling."  Unfortunately for Bucks and/or MU, the feelings in Milwaukee have not been so good, when it comes to basketball."

John Wayne, a/k/a "Duke" embodied those qualities—strength, moral authority, independence, freedom, integrity, and the courage of conviction—that Duke University wishes to not have confused with its basketball team of flopping pansies as it indicates every time that its sues the Estate of John Wayne over licensing products using Wayne's Duke nickname.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:25:27 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2014, 07:34:57 PM »
Seriously...

Not to mention he's just flat out incorrect.  They've had 15 Final Fours under 3 different coaches.  Unless he thinks Coach K was there in 1963, 1964, 1966, & 1978...

Serious question ... 1963 to 1966, which was the bigger tourney?  NCAA or NIT?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2014, 07:39:56 PM »
Not just one of the most lopsided but certainly one of the most shameful defeats in Marquette's history. To be humiliated on so public a stage is hateful.

Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2014, 08:17:19 PM »
Very similar to what I posted.  Still don't understand why we include Majerus when listing our best coaches I mean Deane at least got us to the NCAAs, Raymonds did so consistently.  Nagle and Hickey as well.  But other than that I love your post. 

Re:  Majerus.  Name recognition, and what he did after he moved on and the ongoing respect he had for the MU program. 
Ludum habemus.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2014, 08:20:57 PM »
Serious question ... 1963 to 1966, which was the bigger tourney?  NCAA or NIT?

NCAA for sure, but it was fairly close.

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 08:25:56 PM »
Schlemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated.
 We're gonna do it!

"Wojo will just have to rely on his home grown brew".
(Younger guys probably won't get it)

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »
Interesting article - biggest surprise was that Nick is apparently going to forego his senior year and will be able to contribute at MU this year.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2014, 08:52:35 PM »
Re:  Majerus.  Name recognition, and what he did after he moved on and the ongoing respect he had for the MU program. 

Gotcha.  It always just struck me as odd considering we all hate on deane but at least he got us to an NIT championship and two NCAA appearances and everybody just says Raymonds was a "good guy" but he added a few NCAA appearances to our resume
Maigh Eo for Sam

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2014, 11:24:02 PM »
If you are going to undermine duke's tourney performance throughout the programs history, I'm curious what you have to say about ours.

We have one final four appearance in the last 35+ years and, if I'm not mistaken, it was one of the most lopsided games in final four history. And the worst part is is that KU didn't even win the title.

Wow. They did reach the Final Four pre-Coach K.
Who would have thunk it.

But I WAS just highlighting the last three years of Duke bkb.
(of course, 4 years ago, they won it all.)

I know they own MU since Coach K's tenure began.

Just pointing out the last three years. And proud MU has done really well considering the inability to attract burger boys and their like talent.
SS Marquette