[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz on getting better.........  (Read 18226 times)

avid1010

• All American
Re: Buzz on getting better.........
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 03:40:19 PM »
I don't know why people find it necessary to trash Buzz and call him a Hillbilly and other disparaging terms.  He gave us 6 years of which 5 were great and one wasn't.  If Wojo just equals Buzz I will be very happy.  Incidentally I said the same thing when Buzz took over for Crean.  And as a result I was thrilled with the way things worked out.
I thought it was a little crazy he left but I think that just proves that Buzz was a little odd and insecure and he panicked when he didn't feel he could keep up with the reputation he built.  Is that a reason to hate him?
I really enjoyed the dance at WVA, the dance after the DJO slam against L-ville, the way he completely pulled a rabbit out of a hat the year we had Lazar playing center with the midgets.  Dude was a good coach and I will remember him favorably.
I'm with River rat.  So go ahead and trash me as well.
buzz was great, and like anyone...his strengths could also be his weaknesses.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2014, 03:50:02 PM »
I don't know why people find it necessary to trash Buzz and call him a Hillbilly and other disparaging terms.  He gave us 6 years of which 5 were great and one wasn't.  If Wojo just equals Buzz I will be very happy.  Incidentally I said the same thing when Buzz took over for Crean.  And as a result I was thrilled with the way things worked out.
I thought it was a little crazy he left but I think that just proves that Buzz was a little odd and insecure and he panicked when he didn't feel he could keep up with the reputation he built.  Is that a reason to hate him?
I really enjoyed the dance at WVA, the dance after the DJO slam against L-ville, the way he completely pulled a rabbit out of a hat the year we had Lazar playing center with the midgets.  Dude was a good coach and I will remember him favorably.
I'm with River rat.  So go ahead and trash me as well.

He could have been classy when he left, but instead chose to take the low road by trashing Marquette and the Big East on his way out the door. Then he shows up on national TV the next day wearing a Va. Tech pin the size of a corsage. Lack of character revealed!
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 04:00:21 PM »
How do you come to that conclusion?  odd.
Pretty obvious unless you are a slurper. And there are some still slurping the guy. Buzzo was a bozo and a BS'er
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 04:25:56 PM »

The answer is loyalty. We as fans poured our hearts and souls out 27 to 33 times a year for our university and our basketball team. At Marquette, NotAnAlum, basketball is almost as important as God. Almost.

The Hillbilly had a bad year last year. He lost control of his team beginning with Vander Blue's decision to turn pro. Tood Mayo should have been the guy but wasn't. Jamil Wilson, for whatever reason, checked out (or never checked in, take your pick) and the dudes that started averaged about 11 points a game, collectively, except for Jamil. His point guard was a disaster and his rotations made no sense.

Rather than fixing the problem and acting like a man and a professional, he cut and ran. That's not the Marquette way. A lot of us have been around for quite some time and stuck with Marquette through the Dukiet years and the Deane years. We hate the Hillbilly because, well, he wasn't professional enough to stick around and make us what we had been for the past six years.

murphmurphy

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 03:31:11 AM »
Could not agree more.  If you need evidence of Buzz the BS'er watch the video again and listen to his interview.  Then go back and watch every post game and radio show interview he did last year with Homer and listen to the complete BS and gibberish.  I sat at court side in Las Vegas last year and watched MU lose to New Mexico.  In a 3 minute span during the second half MU had two 5-second calls against them and threw an in-bounds pass out of bounds.  Teams with good coaches don't do that.     z

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2014, 08:02:44 AM »
The answer is loyalty. We as fans poured our hearts and souls out 27 to 33 times a year for our university and our basketball team. At Marquette, NotAnAlum, basketball is almost as important as God. Almost.

The Hillbilly had a bad year last year. He lost control of his team beginning with Vander Blue's decision to turn pro. Tood Mayo should have been the guy but wasn't. Jamil Wilson, for whatever reason, checked out (or never checked in, take your pick) and the dudes that started averaged about 11 points a game, collectively, except for Jamil. His point guard was a disaster and his rotations made no sense.

Rather than fixing the problem and acting like a man and a professional, he cut and ran. That's not the Marquette way. A lot of us have been around for quite some time and stuck with Marquette through the Dukiet years and the Deane years. We hate the Hillbilly because, well, he wasn't professional enough to stick around and make us what we had been for the past six years.

Well thats more than a little over the top.  According to those parameters their are only a few coaches in the history of sport that are acceptable to you then.  Are you still at the same job for your entire career?  If not can the same things be said about you.  Awfully high standards.  The guy did a fabulous job while at MU, no reason at all yo trash him, he did what he thought was best for him n his family.  And i am sure he has the character to at some point admit he made a mistake if it turns out he did.  However, that chapter has not been written. 

Also, lenny and I are still waiting for chico to followup on his "hes a BSer" claim.  LOL

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 08:34:43 AM »
Buzz did a great job at Marquette. Frankly, I thought we could some day compete for a National Championship with him here; I never thought that about Crean (although Crean should be congratulated for getting the program to where Buzz could succeed).

Buzz was also quirky and bizarre, but he was our "quirky and bizarre." So, while he was here, that was all good. Now that he is gone, it will obviously annoy the heck out of us.

The real disappointment for me in Buzz was the loyalty factor. He flew the coop at the first sign of troubled waters. Worse yet, he took parting shots at Marquette and its conference when he left so as to explain his downward departure. In the end, Buzz showed himself to be an insecure coward without the strength or resolve to run the marathon. That doesn't detract from who he is and what he could sell, or the great years we had under him. But, it does make appreciating his work here a little more difficult.

As for his phoniness, I am not so sure he is a phony; I just think he is a hypocrite in many ways. It is more a matter of "do as I say and not as I do." There were signs of this early on. Despite portraying himself as a humble servant, I remember being struck by the peculiarity of his obsession with expensive tailored suits early on in his tenure. I remember an article where he basically boasted about his expensive wardrobe and I thought to myself, this piece doesn't seem to match the rest of the puzzle. In the end, the fact is, what Buzz preaches sells and that is all that matters to him. What Buzz actually does, can at times be a complete and diametric opposite. However, there is also genuine goodness in him as well (see numerous stories about his good will, his thoughtfulness, Buzz's bunch, etc.).

Good luck to Buzz. He has his positive traits and he has his faults, as do we all. One of my faults is a lack of forgiveness and so I hope he fails miserable.

On a side note, I am much less certain about Marquette's program now than I was a year ago with Buzz at the helm. I certainly hope Wojo can fill the role - and he appears to be doing and saying all the right things - but none can deny the uncertainty. Color me nervous.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 09:20:15 AM »
Buzz did a great job at Marquette. Frankly, I thought we could some day compete for a National Championship with him here; I never thought that about Crean (although Crean should be congratulated for getting the program to where Buzz could succeed).

Buzz was also quirky and bizarre, but he was our "quirky and bizarre." So, while he was here, that was all good. Now that he is gone, it will obviously annoy the heck out of us.

The real disappointment for me in Buzz was the loyalty factor. He flew the coop at the first sign of troubled waters. Worse yet, he took parting shots at Marquette and its conference when he left so as to explain his downward departure. In the end, Buzz showed himself to be an insecure coward without the strength or resolve to run the marathon. That doesn't detract from who he is and what he could sell, or the great years we had under him. But, it does make appreciating his work here a little more difficult.

As for his phoniness, I am not so sure he is a phony; I just think he is a hypocrite in many ways. It is more a matter of "do as I say and not as I do." There were signs of this early on. Despite portraying himself as a humble servant, I remember being struck by the peculiarity of his obsession with expensive tailored suits early on in his tenure. I remember an article where he basically boasted about his expensive wardrobe and I thought to myself, this piece doesn't seem to match the rest of the puzzle. In the end, the fact is, what Buzz preaches sells and that is all that matters to him. What Buzz actually does, can at times be a complete and diametric opposite. However, there is also genuine goodness in him as well (see numerous stories about his good will, his thoughtfulness, Buzz's bunch, etc.).

Good luck to Buzz. He has his positive traits and he has his faults, as do we all. One of my faults is a lack of forgiveness and so I hope he fails miserable.

On a side note, I am much less certain about Marquette's program now than I was a year ago with Buzz at the helm. I certainly hope Wojo can fill the role - and he appears to be doing and saying all the right things - but none can deny the uncertainty. Color me nervous.

Spoken like a true Buzz Kool Aid slurper. Defend El Bozo to the hilt. After all he was our boy. Guess what? Not anymore. Less certain about the program than a year ago? h
Here is some news: 17-15, with guys ready to desert under the Bozo. That is a certainty.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
Spoken like a true Buzz Kool Aid slurper. Defend El Bozo to the hilt. After all he was our boy. Guess what? Not anymore. Less certain about the program than a year ago? h
Here is some news: 17-15, with guys ready to desert under the Bozo. That is a certainty.

I suppose you flunked reading comprehension in grammar school?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 09:24:39 AM »

So MUCam calls Buzz an "insecure coward," and a "hypocrite," yet you still label MUCam a "slurper?"

It might be time for another vacation willie.  You're losing it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 09:31:45 AM »

Very well thought out...agree almost entirely...yet I too would have been nervous as hell if we lost Buzz prior to last season...yet after watching last season's debacle...it was clear it was best for both parties to move on.  Been surprisingly impressed with Wojo thus far.  He lands 2 of 3 of Stone, Ellenson, and Cheatham.....wow.  Not concerned about his ability to coach...he should be a good one that way having played the game at high major level and 15 years under Coach K...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 10:01:36 AM »

So MUCam calls Buzz an "insecure coward," and a "hypocrite," yet you still label MUCam a "slurper?"

It might be time for another vacation willie.  You're losing it.
Hey Sultan--you were the one that wanted a "divorce"--remember? If you feel that you want to start that dance again--go for it. And speaking of vacations, it was all good when you took your sabbatical from the board after Buzz's disastrous season and subsequent being shown the door. But now you are back, and your true colors still show through. Buzz forever. Yes Sultan, you are an expert at "hypocrite" Whine about being picked on and then start the picking. Now it is your choice about what happens. Sultan: Please leave me alone, because I can dish it but can't take it.  Nuff said.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 10:32:36 AM »

As grand general of the slurpers (I believe I'm number two in your book after Sultan) I can tell you with certainty that MUCam didn't post something worthy of sluperness.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2014, 10:47:17 AM »
MUCam's post was top-notch.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2014, 10:53:29 AM »
Cannot argue with much of what has been posted, and like many I am disappointed in Beauregard.

In particular, at a human level, I am sorry that he blew his chance to leave a legacy. I don't know if Beauregard lost the team, or if he lost himself. However, had he "stuck with it" and worked with the vision and flexibility of his first years at MU, I think he could have left the business "on top" and with a legacy second only to Al.

By his move - by his "bailing-out" - he has proven himself to be another talented huckster, whose "story line" is no longer credible. He has shown himself to be more concerned with money, power, ego and trying to prove he is right, as opposed to doing what is right.

Beauregard will survive and probably do well, but he no longer has a chance to leave any sort of legacy in the basketball world. Sad for him.

What goes around, comes around ...

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2014, 11:56:58 AM »

He did not fly the coop; I believe he was told by the University to find another job.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »
Buzz has to get better at using other words than "better."
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2014, 12:27:28 PM »
Buzz has to get better at using other words than "better."

I couldn't have said that any better

Death on call

leever

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2014, 12:57:04 PM »
Buzz has to better get better at using other better words other than "better."

FIFY

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2014, 01:10:39 PM »

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2014, 02:09:13 PM »
I was fine with Buzz leaving - it's what coaches do.

But, then he trashed the program on the way out. THAT is when his character was revealed.

Good riddance to the douchebag!!!!! Can't wait for him to crash and burn.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2014, 02:45:26 PM »
So I finally broke down and listened to the clip. 

What a dork.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2014, 02:53:07 PM »
MUCam's post was top-notch.

Agreed. Well written.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2014, 03:19:42 PM »
Has there ever been a better thread than this?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2014, 03:20:47 PM »
Why be bitter about buzz being badder at better?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback