'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pro-Am?  (Read 15865 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Pro-Am?
« on: June 23, 2014, 08:15:36 AM »
Is there a Pro-Am this summer? If so, when does it start?

IWB

• Scholarship Player
Re: Pro-Am?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:00:34 PM »
Yes, starts this weekend. Rosters & schedule will be released tomorrow.

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 12:54:42 PM »
I suggest that you check Jim Ganzer's (IWB) website Brew City Ball for more info. Jim does a great job with this Summer BB League that can be very beneficial to players on the MU roster for their development.

http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/showthread.php?7590-Pro-Am

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 02:24:10 PM »
Just saw that the ProAm is now NBA sanctioned?? Does this mean NBA players can participate?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 02:28:06 PM »
Just saw that the ProAm is now NBA sanctioned?? Does this mean NBA players can participate?

I think that's what it means:

"playing professionally in the USA or over seas"
SS Marquette

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 02:36:07 PM »
More info. Some talk that Wes Mathews may be participating. Games are entertaining - recommend that you check them out if you are in Milwaukee.

http://www.iwbsports.com/RegistrationPage4.html

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 02:53:35 PM »
We'll check with Ganzer and see if the pro-am is a done deal.

IWB

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »
We have been NBA sanctioned for two years now, need to go through that just like we go through NCAA Certification. Last year was the first year the NBA required it and we did have a few NBA players play last year.

Wes says he is in and says Novak will play with him. I know Wes will play when he can, will believe Novak when I see it!

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 07:30:14 PM »
We'll check with Ganzer and see if the pro-am is a done deal.

This is getting "old" and not very funny. Give it up. IWB is a friend to the MU program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 07:38:01 PM »
This is getting "old" and not very funny. Give it up. IWB is a friend to the MU program.

Give it up?

OK. Done deal!

(Sgt. Hulka: "Lighten up, Francis!")
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 07:46:44 PM »
Give it up?

OK. Done deal!

(Sgt. Hulka: "Lighten up, Francis!")

Recommend Meme, Haiku or Chuck Norris options for overdone feeble attempts at humor. Lighten up yourself - Done Deal?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 08:01:30 PM »

It will never be given up. IWB ended up a joke by some of the national media guys during #shakawatch.

Like it or hate it, IWB will always be the #donedeal guy.

brandx

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 08:16:07 PM »

Sorry - but it is very funny.

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 08:27:13 PM »
Shaka reneged on a verbal agreement - he is the characterless party. MU and some media types got burned. If IWB is tied to that, at least also give him due respect for founding and successfully running an ongoing Summer league that helps develop MU players, as well as others.

Scoops will always be known for 15 page attempts at sophomoric Chuck Norris humor, memes and haikus. It also sometimes provides some knowledgeable info. The constant harping about founders of other MU sites on Scoops seems petty to me. They are on the same side as MU fans. Done deal?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 08:30:37 PM »
A verbal commitment means nothing and it does not make Shaka classless. Assuming he actually made one something on the other side of the commitment could of changed.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 08:35:35 PM »
IWB loves MU hoops.   He has been a part of every MU board ever and loves it so much that he started his own.  He is the ultimate insider, in ways that no one on this board is.   He got burned by Shaka.  He wasn't alone.   He is still a class act, a lover of MU hoops, and the sponsor of a really nice basketball Pro-Am.   Yup, it is easy to drop that punch line on him.   But ultimately, it says more about scoopers than it does about him. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 08:43:32 PM »
IWB loves MU hoops.   He has been a part of every MU board ever and loves it so much that he started his own.  He is the ultimate insider, in ways that no one on this board is.   He got burned by Shaka.  He wasn't alone.   He is still a class act, a lover of MU hoops, and the sponsor of a really nice basketball Pro-Am.   Yup, it is easy to drop that punch line on him.   But ultimately, it says more about scoopers than it does about him. 
Yup, and he is not even an alum.  He is a true friend of the program. 

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 08:48:25 PM »
A verbal commitment means nothing and it does not make Shaka classless. Assuming he actually made one something on the other side of the commitment could of changed.

Sorry, where I come from, "your word is your bond" - that is a verbal/handshake agreement. Shaka is characterless, much more a pantywaist for letting his old lady boss him. Most deals that I have ever done were first verbally confirmed and shook on, and then the lawyers drew up the papers for signature. I highly doubt that MU changed their proposal and diminished it. I would hate to have to do business with you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 09:32:25 PM »
Sorry, where I come from, "your word is your bond" - that is a verbal/handshake agreement. Shaka is characterless, much more a pantywaist for letting his old lady boss him. Most deals that I have ever done were first verbally confirmed and shook on, and then the lawyers drew up the papers for signature. I highly doubt that MU changed their proposal and diminished it. I would hate to have to do business with you.

Shaka agreed to terms. He never said he accepted them. There was no verbal agreement. IWB jumped the gun. As did many other in the administration.

You can lash out Shaka and try to label him as a "characterless pantywaist" but the real truth is several people jumped to conclusions and got burned. Happens to journalists all the time. You either have to jump in with shaky information to get the scoop or you wait until you have your sources confirmed. It's hard to do both when the subject was being so carefully watched by the national media. IWB and others went for the scoop. Should have waited for solid confirmation.

That being said, IWB is a great friend to the Marquette program. As a non-alum he has done more for Marquette than most alumni do in their entire lives. He is a fantastic insider and I still check his site for updates. The #donedeal label will stick with him for awhile. He made a mistake and his fans will give him crap for it. If he steers into the skid and jokes about the #donedeal incident, it will go away in a matter of months...well maybe not...as the meme tournament proved, scoopers have long memories. But it will certainly die down.

All in all, it some harmless teasing that is that natural result of a journalistic blunder.

#donedeal
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 10:12:09 PM »

IWB's love for Marquette basketball is very apparent in everything he does. I admire what he has been able to accomplish. That being said, Shaka didn't burn him, he burned himself. He jumped the gun trying to be the first to get the word out. It was reckless and now he has to deal with being the brunt of the done deal jokes. I think he probably learned his lesson and won't be so quick to jump the gun next time...at least I hope so for all of our sakes.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 10:22:29 PM »
Shaka agreed to terms. He never said he accepted them. There was no verbal agreement.
He agreed to terms but didn't accept them?  He agreed but there was no verbal agreement?  Correct me if I'm wrong Batman, but if he agreed, wouldn't there be acceptance on his part?  If he agreed but there was no verbal agreement, then there was a written agreement?  Either you meant to say something else, or this is the biggest bunch of nonsense since, "It depend on what the meaning of the word 'is" is."  OR maybe he agreed to his own terms and didn't accept MU's terms and that's why there was no verbal agreement.    That must be it. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 10:26:46 PM »
Yes, starts this weekend. Rosters & schedule will be released tomorrow.

Where did you hear that??

Death on call

Boone

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 10:29:42 PM »
The arrogant 'I am the source' comment shows he didn't learn from his mistake.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 10:32:54 PM »
 He is the ultimate insider, in ways that no one on this board is.  

Sure. But let's see him fly a low level in a Warthog!

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 12:23:18 AM »
He agreed to terms but didn't accept them?  He agreed but there was no verbal agreement?  Correct me if I'm wrong Batman, but if he agreed, wouldn't there be acceptance on his part?  If he agreed but there was no verbal agreement, then there was a written agreement?  Either you meant to say something else, or this is the biggest bunch of nonsense since, "It depend on what the meaning of the word 'is" is."  OR maybe he agreed to his own terms and didn't accept MU's terms and that's why there was no verbal agreement.    That must be it. 

Agreeing on terms and accepting terms are two different things. Marquette made an offer, Shaka said if I decide to leave, these terms will be acceptable. #donedeal. Then Shaka decides he is not going to accept.

Now this oversimplifying it and there were a few more steps. But in the end, it looked like Shaka was going to be the coach, this news got leaked, it was misinterpreted by either IWB or his sources, and the #donedeal scenario occurred. Shaka did nothing wrong.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback