'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:02:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach Wojo Sit-Down  (Read 18426 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Coach Wojo Sit-Down
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »
Part 1
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cdq581v3dCo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cdq581v3dCo</a>

Part 2
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/86t5BxulUws" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/86t5BxulUws</a>

Part 3
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mKeMxsClCCU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mKeMxsClCCU</a>

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
Re: Coach Wojo Sit-Down
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 06:09:31 PM »
What is the source/ just curious (maybe it was in #1, but I missed?)?

I thought that it may be the Dan Patrick interview that Jim Ganzer had on Brew City, but isn't. Good interview.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 06:13:41 PM »
What is the source/ just curious (maybe it was in #1, but I missed?)?

I thought that it may be the Dan Patrick interview that Jim Ganzer had on Brew City, but isn't. Good interview.

I'm pretty sure that it was the athletic department produced to get Marquette and Coach Wojo's names out there.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 09:12:26 PM »
Yeah, while a good listen, it is a total recruiting tool.  Intro the new coach and pump MU.  I like it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 12:59:55 AM »
He just seems like such a genuine dude. Really soft spoken and lets his words do the talking as opposed to Brent who would be known for his antics and motions rather than what he actually said.

Speaking of facilities, they really need an all basketball dorm or to make something in the AL. Housing the underclassmen in Carpenter and then Humphrey is really low end for as much money as we put them in the program. At least get them a place in the 2040s or the new apartment building going up called the Ivy.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 05:53:42 AM »
 He doesn't blink.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 07:18:04 AM »
Coach Wojo is very impressive.  Can't wait to watch his Warriors play!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 07:44:10 AM »
Speaking of facilities, they really need an all basketball dorm or to make something in the AL. Housing the underclassmen in Carpenter and then Humphrey is really low end for as much money as we put them in the program. At least get them a place in the 2040s or the new apartment building going up called the Ivy.

You just described two HUGE recruiting violations. Athletes aren't allowed to be given sequestered housing. The dorms need to at least by 60% non-athlete if I remember correctly. I'm going by memory on this one so I might be off. Schools also cannot give players apartments. They can only give them free on campus housing. Humphery is considered on campus housing because it is owned by Marquette.

If the athletes pay for it themselves, they can do whatever they want.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 08:15:04 AM »
You just described two HUGE recruiting violations. Athletes aren't allowed to be given sequestered housing. The dorms need to at least by 60% non-athlete if I remember correctly. I'm going by memory on this one so I might be off. Schools also cannot give players apartments. They can only give them free on campus housing. Humphery is considered on campus housing because it is owned by Marquette.

51%

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 08:15:28 AM »

16.5.1.2 Athletics Blocks.
Athletics blocks shall be defined as individual blocks, wings or floors
within institutional dormitories or privately owned dormitories or apartment
buildings in which at least 50 percent of the residents are student-athletes.
(Adopted: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/96, Revised:  1/10/92, 11/1/01
effective 8/1/02)

16.5.1.1 Athletics
Dormitories.

Athletics dormitories shall be
defined as institutional dormitories in which at least 50 percent of the
residents are student-athletes. (Adopted: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/96,
Revised: 11/1/01 effective 8/1/02)

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 08:18:23 AM »

It is 50% non-athletes. Wouldn't it be great if we could afford to build something similar to the Wildcat Coal Lodge?! It cost Kentucky over 8 million to build this high end "dorm." That place is even going to look inadequate compared to what Kansas is building. They are shelling out 17.5 million for a 66 person dorm, that will house the mens and womens basketball teams. The university thinks building this will keep them competitive. Think this is why Marquette struggles to land the top 20 kids?!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 08:19:59 AM »
It is 50% non-athletes. Wouldn't it be great if we could afford to build something similar to the Wildcat Coal Lodge?! It cost Kentucky over 8 million to build this high end "dorm." That place is even going to look inadequate compared to what Kansas is building. They are shelling out 17.5 million for a 66 person dorm, that will house the mens and womens basketball teams. The university thinks building this will keep them competitive. Think this is why Marquette struggles to land the top 20 kids?!

+1

I don't think MU needs the Wildcat Loge, but having freshmen in Carpenter is preposterous.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 09:10:54 AM »
+1

I don't think MU needs the Wildcat Loge, but having freshmen in Carpenter is preposterous.

I thought there would be a moving fan outside Carpenter to move them to Humphrey the day after Pilarz left.  Can't believe they're still running this shenanigan.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 09:21:05 AM »
A friend of mine played women's hoops.  She was very excited when she found out the freshmen were living in Tower.  She talked about the need for basketball players to be integrated into campus to really feel like they are a part of campus.  She lived in McCormick but she was the last class to do so and she always felt her college experience was more enriched than her younger teammates.

To ChitownWarrior, for 20+ years the men's team lived in Humphery all 4 years.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 09:34:37 AM »
A friend of mine played women's hoops.  She was very excited when she found out the freshmen were living in Tower.  She talked about the need for basketball players to be integrated into campus to really feel like they are a part of campus.  She lived in McCormick but she was the last class to do so and she always felt her college experience was more enriched than her younger teammates.

I agree with your friend and many men's basketball players might end up agreeing with her (in retrospect). I don't, however, think there are many 18 year old star athletes for whom Carpenter would be a preference over Humphrey, let alone the accomodations at Kentucky or Kansas.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 09:38:11 AM »
I don't understand why it's carpenter.  Like Straz or Mashuda at least are a bit nicer.  Carpenter I've never been in but nothing I've heard has been positive. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 09:39:22 AM »
I don't understand why it's carpenter.  Like Straz or Mashuda at least are a bit nicer.  Carpenter I've never been in but nothing I've heard has been positive. 

Walls are extremely hard.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 09:40:58 AM »
Even Abbottsford would be better than Carpenter. Abbottsford is more centrally located, bigger rooms, it's a freshman dorm, I believe there is air conditioning (coulda been a rumor), and they're all triples so you can put 2 guys to a triple.

Carpenter sucks
Bring back FFP!!!

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 09:58:04 AM »
If they are going to do this why not put them in Straz? By far the nicest dorm.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 10:10:06 AM »
Walls are extremely hard.

Probably a good thing

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 10:20:16 AM »
Yeah, ya really don't wanna hear the screams of joy from your neighbor's room, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 10:26:46 AM »
Even Abbottsford would be better than Carpenter. Abbottsford is more centrally located, bigger rooms, it's a freshman dorm, I believe there is air conditioning (coulda been a rumor), and they're all triples so you can put 2 guys to a triple.

Carpenter sucks
Sums up college life, perfectly.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »

No offense to your friend, but women's hoops is a different animal completely. It's absurd that the men's team sends the freshmen and sophomores to Tower. Old building, small rooms, no AC. All it is doing is self-inflicting another objection for the staff to overcome when recruiting.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 11:16:42 AM »
No offense to your friend, but women's hoops is a different animal completely. It's absurd that the men's team sends the freshmen and sophomores to Tower. Old building, small rooms, no AC. All it is doing is self-inflicting another objection for the staff to overcome when recruiting.

I guess all the amenities that a Top 10 basketball budgets affords gets thrown out the window when the recruits hear about Tower.

It really hurt with Duane (RSCI 59), JJJ (35) & Deonte (53). 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 12:01:36 PM »

Maybe because Tower is the dorm closest to the Al.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback