[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach Wojo Sit-Down  (Read 18427 times)

NotAnAlum

• All American
Re: Coach Wojo Sit-Down
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 12:18:29 PM »
I guess all the amenities that a Top 10 basketball budgets affords gets thrown out the window when the recruits hear about Tower.

It really hurt with Duane (RSCI 59), JJJ (35) & Deonte (53). 

The fact that an objection can be over come sometime is not a good arguement to not do anything about it.  When we are spending so much on the program spending something on upgrading a "special" dorm is a no brainer.  And to get around the NCAA 50% rule you put the mens and womans teams there (30 people tops) and then let 30+ normal students enter a lottery for the other nice air conditioned rooms.   You don't cheat but you've got to "play the game".

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 12:28:36 PM »
The fact that an objection can be over come sometime is not a good arguement to not do anything about it.  When we are spending so much on the program spending something on upgrading a "special" dorm is a no brainer.  And to get around the NCAA 50% rule you put the mens and womans teams there (30 people tops) and then let 30+ normal students enter a lottery for the other nice air conditioned rooms.   You don't cheat but you've got to "play the game".

You could argue that MU's recruiting was improving as this change to Tower was implemented.  Now that may just because Buzz was becoming a great recruiter but to act like it's such a hamstring when recruiting was improving seems odd.  We did "play the game".  We had guys in HUGE corner units, two bedrooms for 20+ years.  It's not we're stuck in the stone ages, we decided to change the game for underclassmen just a few years ago.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »
Maybe because Tower is the dorm closest to the Al.

Is it? The Al is on 12th street and both Abbottsford and Schroeder are on 13th, then Carpenter is on 11th. Each a block away. I stand by Abbottsford being the best option.
Bring back FFP!!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 02:15:45 PM »
Abbottsford and Carpenter are equidistant from the Al. Abbottsford did not have air conditioning when I was at Marquette.

I don't think the administration will be alright with building a building even remotely similar to what Kentucky has. It is hard for a small private university to justify a multi-million dollar project that will only benefit 66 students a year (I believe that's how many fit in Kentucky's basketball dorm).

The answer IMHO is upgrading or redoing all of the residence halls. I didn't realize this when I was at Marquette, but we have some of the WORST dorms in the nation. I've worked at four different universities and Marquette's best (Straz) would be below average at the other three.

Nowadays, air conditioning isn't a bonus, it is expected. Students don't just want their own dorms, they want their own bedrooms inside their dorms. And community bathrooms? Students think these are abhorrent and simply not an option.

Personally, I feel students nowadays are spoiled. I loved my experience in O'Donnell. I made more friends and felt like I was a part of a community because of the crappy facilities. But current college students list dorm quality as one of the most important factors in college decisions. If we want to stay competitive, I think we will need to upgrade.

Back to the original topic, if you upgrade all the halls (or even just one) you put the basketball players in there and all of the sudden it isn't so bad to live on campus.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 04:01:56 PM »
When I saw the Title I assumed it was footage of Wojo walking all over the court during games like Buzz used to do. So glad Buzz is gone his being on the court all game was super annoying.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 04:16:22 PM »
When I saw the Title I assumed it was footage of Wojo walking all over the court during games like Buzz used to do. So glad Buzz is gone his being on the court all game was super annoying.

You ready for sideline floor-slapping?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XvCU7-TdfwM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XvCU7-TdfwM</a>

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »
You ready for sideline floor-slapping?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XvCU7-TdfwM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XvCU7-TdfwM</a>

What is that camp? It looks like one of those baseball deals where middle aged guys pay $2k/day to play in AZ in January with Willie Mays "coaching." Most of the guys on Wojo's team don't look very fit.

Death on call

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 05:21:40 PM »
What is that camp? It looks like one of those baseball deals where middle aged guys pay $2k/day to play in AZ in January with Willie Mays "coaching." Most of the guys on Wojo's team don't look very fit.

The K Academy. Coach K's fantasy basketball camp:

http://coachk.com/camps-and-clinics/k-academy/

http://kacademy.com/

"Tuition for the K Academy is $10,000"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 05:24:39 PM »
"Tuition for the K Academy is $10,000"

Does that include the Coach K All-You-Can-Eat Nightly Smorgasbord?

Death on call

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 05:26:42 PM »
Does that include the Coach K All-You-Can-Eat Nightly Smorgasbord?

Is that a euphemism?

feedback