collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette is Wisconsin's School  (Read 11487 times)

Bricky

• Starter
  • sparkle sparkle
Marquette is Wisconsin's School
« on: May 06, 2014, 11:01:25 AM »
Contrary to nearly any Wisconsinite, Marquette is more popular than UW.

According to eCollegeFinder, more high school seniors want to go to Marquette.

Source: https://www.ecollegefinder.org/most-desirable-colleges-map.aspx

BigRed

• Walk-On
Most Desirable Colleges by State
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:24:37 AM »

LAMUfan

• All American
Re: Most Desirable Colleges by State
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 11:27:20 AM »
that state MU pic would make a cool shirt

Bricky

• Starter
  • sparkle sparkle
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 11:30:39 AM »
Surprised by MU, Tulane, UCF and Duke.  That's about it.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 11:33:18 AM »
The five private schools (whose states are big enough to tell) who are included are Tulane, Marquette, Vanderbilt, Duke and Washington University.  

Oklahoma State and Central Florida University those choice will leave some unhappy embarrassed.

Can anyone list the New England states between New York and Maine?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:36:02 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 11:38:54 AM »
link please (Google is not my friend, I cannot find it)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 11:39:52 AM »
The five private schools (whose states are big enough to tell) who are included are Tulane, Marquette, Vanderbilt, Duke and Washington University.  

Oklahoma State and Central Florida University those choice will leave some unhappy embarrassed.

C'mon man, NU is private last time I looked, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Bricky

• Starter
  • sparkle sparkle
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 11:40:27 AM »
The five private schools (whose states are big enough to tell) who are included are Tulane, Marquette, Vanderbilt, Duke, Washington University, New York University, Yale, BYU, Dartmouth, Brown, Northwestern. Rutgers and University of Vermont were both once private.

Bricky

• Starter
  • sparkle sparkle
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 11:41:16 AM »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 11:43:49 AM »

Face palm on Northwestern and BYU.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 11:47:53 AM »

C'mon man, NU is private last time I looked, hey?

They've agreed to go public in negotiations with the football players union.

source?

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 11:49:45 AM »
If the criteria is number of applications received, I have no clue how we could have beaten Wisconsin. So many more students enroll there every year. Maybe people apply then look at the pricetag?

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »
"Our newest map looks at the “Most Desirable” Universities in each state, judged by which college received the most undergraduate applications in the fall of 2013."

Not a perfect measure, but not a terrible one. I think some schools (Not Marquette to be clear) are benefiting from a safety school factor. I mean is North Eastern Really more desirable than Harvard? No but most people don't apply to Harvard because they know they won't get in. Tulane at least at my catholic high school in DC was a very popular safety school location.

I can also see that's why certain private schools with good reputations out perform some of their public school counter parts namely Duke and Vanderbilt. People from all over the country apply to those schools not just people from that state. In North Carolina for instance out of state it's really really hard to get into UNC. It's easier to get into Duke as an out of state applicant than it is to get into UNC as an out of state applicant.

obviously more accurate data would be if they polled people asking them if they got in to all the schools in a state and had a full ride to all of them which one they would go to. Popular in terms of application doesn't automatically = more desirable. Marketing plays a huge role in the number of applications as does application procedures. A school with Early Decision is likely going to get less applications than an equal school with early action. A school with the common App is obviously going to get more apps than a school that does not use the common app everything else being equal.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 02:13:29 PM by hoyasincebirth »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 11:59:48 AM »
Northwestern isn't such a surprise, but I think in Mass. that a Northeastern Huskie?!!! Who'dathunk?

Benny B

• All American
Re: Marquette is Wisconsin's School
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 12:06:39 PM »
Pretty darn interesting... though it sounds like this is by total applications, not just in-state applications; so in that regard, I'm not all that surprised by MU being the top-dog in Wisconsin.

UCF is probably the biggest surprise on here... I would think that Florida, FSU and Miami command drastically more out-of-state applications, so in-state applications to UCF must be dwarfing the in-state applications of the "Big 3."

Same goes for Northeastern... though I'm not as surprised there since most high school seniors - who would be interested - probably don't bother wasting time applying to Harvard & MIT.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »

U of Maine Black Bears, UVM Catamounts (University of Vermont), Northeastern Huskies (Private school in Boston), Yale (in Conn.), Brown (in RI) & Dartmouth (in NH).

My wife and I were discussing UCF the other night.  The out-of-state tuition is less than in-state tuition at UConn.

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 12:10:45 PM »
This is sooooo not accurate and is predicated by race. You cant tell me an African-American has more desire to go to Central Florida over Florida A&M. Unless he/she is an athlete that wants to compete with the "best" this map is flawed.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:12:57 PM by ThatDude »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 12:16:29 PM »
This is sooooo not accurate and is predicated by race. You cant tell me an African-American has more desire to go to Central Florida over Florida A&M. Unless he/she is an athlete that wants to compete with the "best" this map is flawed.

Please explain

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 12:17:05 PM »

What?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »
Pretty darn interesting... though it sounds like this is by total applications, not just in-state applications; so in that regard, I'm not all that surprised by MU being the top-dog in Wisconsin.

UCF is probably the biggest surprise on here... I would think that Florida, FSU and Miami command drastically more out-of-state applications, so in-state applications to UCF must be dwarfing the in-state applications of the "Big 3."

Same goes for Northeastern... though I'm not as surprised there since most high school seniors - who would be interested - probably don't bother wasting time applying to Harvard & MIT.

My wife was telling me about Northeastern on Sunday.  She said tons of students from her high school apply there.  They have some mandatory internship program for every student regardless of major and the internship pretty much leads to a job after graduation.  
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:27:30 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »
Does MU charge to apply?  If not, that's your answer.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 12:19:35 PM »

Don't be That Dude.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 12:19:38 PM »

They do not.

Quite frankly, there's no reason any school should still be charging.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 12:34:26 PM »

Neither does Dayton, but you don't see them beating Ohio State do you?

Wait a second....
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback