collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette is Wisconsin's School  (Read 11485 times)

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
Re: Marquette is Wisconsin's School
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2014, 03:24:51 PM »
That makes sense: 15% of 8293 accepted is 2003 new freshman.  That's gotta be about right.

Compared to 40% for UW-Madison gives them over 9000 new freshmen

ThatDude

• Starter
Re: Most Desirable Colleges by State
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2014, 03:58:16 PM »
I wish I knew what it is. But your last comment made zero sense.

What doesnt make sense to you might make sense to the next guy. I'm not looking for a debate.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2014, 04:12:11 PM »
The five private schools (whose states are big enough to tell) who are included are Tulane, Marquette, Vanderbilt, Duke and Washington University.  

Oklahoma State and Central Florida University those choice will leave some unhappy embarrassed.

Can anyone list the New England states between New York and Maine?

Northwestern

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2014, 05:19:55 PM »
I looked up the data they used from the National Center for Education.  

Marquette's # of applicants in 2013:  23,432
UW-Madisons's # of applicants in 2012:  23,324

HA!  Take that Badgers!

Whenever I see numbers that close together, I get skeptical.   

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2014, 06:42:06 PM »
Marquette accepts the Common Application.  You fill out one standardized application form online, and it is accepted by over 500 colleges and universities. A student can apply to a dozen different colleges with a few mouse clicks.  For most of them, there is no application fee.

Marquette's application numbers skyrocketed once they started accepting the Common App.

UW does not accept the Common Application.

https://www.commonapp.org/Login#!PublicPages/AllMembers
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2014, 09:13:23 AM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2014, 09:13:52 AM »

UW does not accept the Common Application.

That's also really f*ckin dumb on their part

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2014, 09:17:17 AM »
Well that's really f*ckin dumb on their part

It's a state law for all UW schools.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2014, 09:27:33 AM »
Well that's really f*ckin dumb on their part

Maybe, but it weeds out a bunch of people that are applying for the sake of applying.  Costs money to process applications, and if you are bludgeoned by an extra 50K a year from every Wisconsin HS kid just cuz, that's added costs, added resources and for what gain?  Most of them probably couldn't get in, otherwise if they thought they had a good shot they would pay the $44.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2014, 09:29:05 AM »
Maybe, but it weeds out a bunch of people that are applying for the sake of applying.  Costs money to process applications, and if you are bludgeoned by an extra 50K a year from every Wisconsin HS kid just cuz, that's added costs, added resources and for what gain?  Most of them probably couldn't get in, otherwise if they thought they had a good shot they would pay the $44.

But Sultan said its state law for all UW schools. Most kids CAN get in to UW Oshkosh.

It still dumb.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2014, 09:33:17 AM »
It's not dumb.  If they charge $44 for every application, that nets them about $1.2 million annually.  If they eliminated the fee, their costs would increase due to increased applications, and they would forgo that revenue.

You can't judge privates and publics by the same metric in that regard. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2014, 09:44:37 AM »
It's not dumb.  If they charge $44 for every application, that nets them about $1.2 million annually.  If they eliminated the fee, their costs would increase due to increased applications, and they would forgo that revenue.

You can't judge privates and publics by the same metric in that regard. 

So they have an extra 1.2 million in revenue AND have cut their costs but we got our logo on the map for this silly survey. Hooray for us!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2014, 10:01:30 AM »
So they have an extra 1.2 million in revenue AND have cut their costs but we got our logo on the map for this silly survey. Hooray for us!

I'll take the map, it looks good, thank you very much.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2014, 10:04:59 AM »

20 years ago, there was one application for the UW system.... I just don't remember if there was an extra fee if you wanted the application submitted to more than one UW school.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2014, 10:50:09 AM »
It's just a bunk headline for bad/lazy analysis.  I'd say desirability is better -- not perfectly -- measured by the percentage of admittants who actually enroll.  For every admitted enrollee, we have five admitted applicants go elsewhere.  (Yes, that may be attributable to the Common App and no application fee.)  Madison has 1.5 accepted students decline them for every one who enrolls.  By comparison, 4 out of 5 accepted Harvard applicants enroll at the school.

Whatever.  The map is cool.  Suck it, Bucky.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2014, 11:55:04 AM »
It's just a bunk headline for bad/lazy analysis.  I'd say desirability is better -- not perfectly -- measured by the percentage of admittants who actually enroll.  For every admitted enrollee, we have five admitted applicants go elsewhere.  (Yes, that may be attributable to the Common App and no application fee.)  Madison has 1.5 accepted students decline them for every one who enrolls.  By comparison, 4 out of 5 accepted Harvard applicants enroll at the school.

Whatever.  The map is cool.  Suck it, Bucky.

Not sure one can draw any definitive conclusions from these numbers. I know some people from high school who went to BU and Northeastern and I can assure you those universities were not their most desired Boston destination.

There was a guy on my floor in McCormick who was from somewhere in New England. This guy flies out to Milwaukee, moves into the dorm, registers for classes then gets a call from BC that he is being given a scholarship. He immediately drops out of Marquette and enrolls at BC. College decisions are influenced by a wider range of factors and variables than how we make political voting decisions.

Death on call

Bricky

• Starter
  • sparkle sparkle
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
There was a guy on my floor in McCormick who was from somewhere in New England. This guy flies out to Milwaukee, moves into the dorm, registers for classes then gets a call from BC that he is being given a scholarship. He immediately drops out of Marquette and enrolls at BC. College decisions are influenced by a wider range of factors and variables than how we make political voting decisions.

What year was this? There was a kid like that on my floor in McCormick.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2014, 02:17:47 PM »
What year was this? There was a kid like that on my floor in McCormick.

Believe it or not I still remember his name because it was unusual - Ovide Maurice. 8th Floor McCormick.

Death on call

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2014, 04:51:56 PM »
Surprised by MU, Tulane, UCF and Duke.  That's about it.  

+1

feedback