collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marc Marotta’s Mequon McMansion  (Read 44682 times)

MUSF

• All American
Re: Marc Marotta’s Mequon McMansion
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2014, 12:56:30 PM »
First, I find it ironic that a "director of sustainability" would live in a house like that.

The position of "director of sustainability" at a major industrial company is typically ironic in and of itself.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2014, 12:58:59 PM »
I guess I'm in the minority here. When it gets to the time when I'm going to be buying houses, I couldn't care less about sustainability. I want to get a huge house like the one I've grown up in and one like my grandparents had. I would like more land though, so the neighbors would be further away. I'll also be buying a big, fast and powerful car.  Because - "That's what the money is for!"

Good for you(r ego). But you do know you can have a big house that is ALSO built sustainably and energy-efficiently, right? Why are some many people confused that these are not mutually exclusive ideas.

You know what your grandparent's house also had? Lead paint.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »
Ain't no big thang.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2014, 01:07:47 PM »
If I win the lottery I will spend it all reasonably and make no major changes to my lifestyle.

Of course I'm saying this before I win the lottery ::)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »
Compensating?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »
Ain't no big thang.

how many sq ft you got there, kin?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »
If one can afford the house and the expenses that go with it, as well as afford to buy other things and put kids through school, why not have a house like that?   I assume Mark and his wife give to charities.  Not everyone is suggesting the Marottas redistribute their wealth, but for those who are, are you serious?  This is America and we live in a capitalist society!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2014, 01:28:05 PM »
If one can afford the house and the expenses that go with it, as well as afford to buy other things and put kids through school, why not have a house like that? 

Because it's ugly.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2014, 01:29:52 PM »
If one can afford the house and the expenses that go with it, as well as afford to buy other things and put kids through school, why not have a house like that?   I assume Mark and his wife give to charities.  Not everyone is suggesting the Marottas redistribute their wealth, but for those who are, are you serious?  This is America and we live in a capitalist society!

I don't know...maybe because of Catholicism? The Pope would have many other ways he could spend money besides on his bad tastes.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »
boy,
I didnt know we had so many democrats on this board   ::)

U guys taking the bulk of your incomes and helping the underpriveldged or are u just hating on those that have been more financially successful?
No, I've helped 3 universities (Marquette one of them) by paying half tuition for my kid's education.
Goal is National Championship

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2014, 01:35:52 PM »
I'm as libertarian as they come, so I agree that they have every right to build it. I also think that everyone else has the right to comment on how much of a waste it is and what it says about the character of the people who live in it.

I also do not understand the appeal of building on these huge properties that essentially do not have neighborhoods. I'd much rather have a nice property in an area with other houses, etc. Grown trees.

+100

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2014, 01:46:30 PM »
I have no problem with who likes or doesn't like a house.  I have a big problem with some people saying that it is somehow inappropriate to build a big house.  That it would be better for society if these people looked at life differently and adjusted their respective moral compasses.  

People have opinions.

Nobody was saying it Marc's house should be illegal.

IMHO, capitalism makes the world go 'round, so good for Marc.

I will never have a house like Marc in my lifetime, regardless of my earnings. It's not how I live. I HATE owning stuff I don't use. HATE it. I could never use a building that size enough to justify it to myself.

"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone." -Thoreau

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2014, 02:01:43 PM »
Even if I had the $$ to build this pile, I'd still take an old, understated victorian with a wraparound porch.

Yup.  That's why I drive a truck as well.  Can afford nicer, but eh.  It makes for a fun carpool ride.  The other 3 dudes have Lexus, Mercedes, BMW. When its my turn to drive, they get the truck.  Don't like it....drive yourself.  Yee haw. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2014, 02:11:05 PM »
Yup.  That's why I drive a truck as well.  Can afford nicer, but eh.  It makes for a fun carpool ride.  The other 3 dudes have Lexus, Mercedes, BMW. When its my turn to drive, they get the truck.  Don't like it....drive yourself.  Yee haw. 

Ha! But does it have a hybrid hydrogen-Compressed Natural Gas ICE?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »
The position of "director of sustainability" at a major industrial company is typically ironic in and of itself.

So is the idea of carbon tax credits, but irony abounds on these things

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2014, 02:20:57 PM »
I don't know...maybe because of Catholicism? The Pope would have many other ways he could spend money besides on his bad tastes.

Correct, it costs a lot of money to sweep all those sexual abuse cases under the rug.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2014, 02:23:39 PM »
boy,
I didnt know we had so many democrats on this board   ::)

U guys taking the bulk of your incomes and helping the underpriveldged or are u just hating on those that have been more financially successful?

Some of us can afford to buy Bert's or Marotta's house but have a different set of values.

On a climbing trip in Nepal we sheltered in a Buddhist monastery. We were wearing nestled in $500 sleeping bags beneath layers of Patagonia and Arc'teryx. The monks had a single silk sheet.

Simplicity is by far the more elegant choice.

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2014, 02:26:18 PM »
Some of us can afford to buy Bert's or Marotta's house but have a different set of values.

On a climbing trip in Nepal we sheltered in a Buddhist monastery. We were wearing nestled in $500 sleeping bags beneath layers of Patagonia and Arc'teryx. The monks had a single silk sheet.

Simplicity is by far the more elegant choice.

Simple but colder, grasshopper.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2014, 02:34:22 PM »

Have you ever watched a gluttonous person gorging themselves at one of those Sunday brunch buffets and not felt a sense of revulsion?

I will never suggest there should be legal conventions on consumption of this sort but I would hope people would make decisions based on need rather than desire. But what is outrageous about these two properties is that in one case, the owner is one who proclaims loudly to being a down-to-earth man of principle and character who is unaffected by the artificial and superficial.  In the second, the owner is the Environmental Steward for a MNC. There is no way anyone can suggest that degree of consumption is anything but wasteful.

It is the hypocrisy I find disturbing.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »
No, I've helped 3 universities (Marquette one of them) by paying half tuition for my kid's education.

Tuition doesn't cover all of the costs of an education.  They are subsidized by donations.  So you weren't helping 3 universities by paying half tuition.  Their fundraising efforts helped you.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2014, 02:43:07 PM »
So is the idea of carbon tax credits, but irony abounds on these things

I remember seeing Carbon Tax Credit kiosks at Heathrow and thinking that is pure BS.

Death on call

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2014, 02:43:21 PM »
Have you ever watched a gluttonous person gorging themselves at one of those Sunday brunch buffets and not felt a sense of revulsion?

Bringing this back to Marquette basketball. On our way back to Chicago from Indy after the Butler game we stopped at an all you can eat KFC (yes they exist in Indiana) which was quite delicious, but the people watching at such a location was comical to say the least.
Bring back FFP!!!

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »
instead of revulsion - maybe compassion as they may have medical issues, mental issues.   Or maybe they don't have the perfect self-control and discipline or consumption view that you have.  

good lord, you must be the perfect human...

can you tell us more of your worldly adventures, success in the capital world or charitable / humanitarian endeavors...

I will never suggest there should be legal conventions on consumption of this sort but I would hope people would make decisions based on need rather than desire. But what is outrageous about these two properties is that in one case, the owner is one who proclaims loudly to being a down-to-earth man of principle and character who is unaffected by the artificial and superficial.  In the second, the owner is the Environmental Steward for a MNC. There is no way anyone can suggest that degree of consumption is anything but wasteful.

It is the hypocrisy I find disturbing.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:04:00 PM by madtownwarrior »

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2014, 02:56:39 PM »
NM - duplicate
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:04:11 PM by madtownwarrior »

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2014, 02:58:48 PM »
Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill