collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marc Marotta’s Mequon McMansion  (Read 44677 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Marc Marotta’s Mequon McMansion
« on: May 01, 2014, 09:14:46 AM »
Marc Marotta’s Mequon McMansion

http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2014/04/28/house-confidential-marc-marottas-mequon-mcmansion/

it is comforting to know the attorney can leave his office in the US Bank Building behind him at the end of a day’s work and head to his custom-built lakefront home in the City of Mequon – yes, that’s in Ozaukee County — where he resides with his wife Kim Marotta, Director of Sustainability at Miller Coors, and their four children.

The first task is probably to find them in this cavernous dwelling, built in 2010. It has 17 rooms, of which 7 are bedrooms. There are 6 full baths and 3 half-baths in the home, along with “5 add’l fixtures”

Oh, we’ll find them later — off to the 5,605 square foot basement, of which 4,926 square feet is a finished rec room. That is a lot of recreating. Above is a first floor with 4,623 square feet of living space, surmounted by a more modestly sized 3,821 square foot second floor. Maybe it’s time to search around the 982 square foot attached garage with lake views and see if the kids are there, transfixed by the waves below.

This is one big house. It is located on N. Circle Road, east of N. Lake Shore Drive and north of E. Donges Bay Rd. in southeast Mequon.

Circle Road is true to its name, but it is a cul-de-sac with a reason, since it loops around an attractive chunk of land with only one access point. The western end of the subdivision still retains the original homes of the late 1950’s – early 1960’s that were built here. Some original residents remain. Others, like Ted Glorioso, have long since moved on. The Swiss-style chalet home built by Ozaukee County Supervisor (in a gentler era) and Swiss native Fred Bote remains, although he has died.

But it is toward the east side of the circular road that the street looks entirely different than its historic antecedent. The east side, especially those lots on the lake, has been almost entirely transformed as demand for lakefront property has marched relentlessly along its shore. Many of the original homes have been torn down to be replaced by very large homes like that of the Marottas, which hulk largely, and could as likely occupy a spot on a country club fairway as the bluffs of a beautiful lake.
The Marotta home had been the site of the Gettelman home for perhaps 40 or more years. That structure was of conventional upper middle class mid-century ranch architecture, with perhaps a few concessions (more windows) to its lake location. It sat nicely on its property, as did its neighbors. A passerby could actually see Lake Michigan beyond, and the neighborhood had a certain unity.

The homes on the north end of the circle abutted Virmond Park, an Ozaukee County-owned property that gives you a good idea of the “priorities that dictate” Ozaukee County when it comes to budget for and manage its “quality of life” public spaces. Precious little is spent on that. To the south, the subdivision was immediately next door to the Chalet on the Lake Restaurant, which ended its decades long run in 1991 when it was shot up for a TV movie on John Dillinger, where it stood in for the Little Bohemia resort.

The Marottas bought the 2.42 acre vacant lot in 2008 for $625,900. In April, 2010, they took out a permit for a $1,500,000 “new dwelling.” Today the property is assessed at $625,900 for the land, $1,625,000 for the improvements for a total of $2,250,900.

The Marotta home, with its tall ceilings and repetitive arched windows, looks like it longs to return to the cover of a Gothic romance novel. It does not sit well on its site. The home has a clearly defined main entry crowned with a turret with spikes! To the north a broad staircase leads from the elevated first floor directly to a grassy lawn below. Surely, a terrace should have surrounded the first floor, and the stairs should have led to a formally structured parterre. Instead, a row of recently planted trees emphasize the austerity of the dwelling.

By contrast, the visitor is encouraged to look at the orange structure to the south of the Marotta home. It could easily be overlooked, but upon closer inspection you can see a modern full-sized home dwarfed by the giant shadow cast by its neighboring McMansion.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
Re: Marc Marotta’s Mequon McMansion
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:22:29 AM »
Did his wife let him "KEEP" the house after the divorce??   ;)

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 09:35:36 AM »
WTF is a "Director of Sustainability"?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 09:36:22 AM »
First, I find it ironic that a "director of sustainability" would live in a house like that.

Second, Kim Marotta was just gorgeous as a student.  She looks gorgeous now.  With a divorce she would be as much out of my league now as she was then.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 09:37:38 AM »

Leads a companies efforts to be more "environmentally friendly" while hopefully making money in the process.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 09:39:51 AM »
What's crazy is that four of my little condos would fit in his basement. WTF is wrong with people that they need such excess?

What is really pathetic is his wife is the Chief "Sustainability" Officer for MillerCoors. What a f ucking hypocrite. Miller should can her ass for being irresponsible.
The only thing she is sustaining is an unsustainable lifestyle built on excess, waste, and profligacy.

Death on call

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 09:49:35 AM »
I was waiting for the "significant ethical dimension" of moral outrage...

the Chief Sustainability Officer is quite the kicker to all of it...

What's crazy is that four of my little condos would fit in his basement. WTF is wrong with people that they need such excess?

What is really pathetic is his wife is the Chief "Sustainability" Officer for MillerCoors. What a f ucking hypocrite. Miller should can her ass for being irresponsible.
The only thing she is sustaining is an unsustainable lifestyle built on excess, waste, and profligacy.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 09:52:54 AM by madtownwarrior »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 09:51:34 AM »

Some people are stupid with their money and have to show everyone they are successful by buying a palace.

I wonder how much the heating and cooling is in that warehouse every month.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 09:54:06 AM »

Keefe I take it this is your favorite 80s Dead song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOx4Ru5o36U

Fits exactly into the stuff you've been talking about in regards to excess, waste, and what can we do for the next generation
Bring back FFP!!!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 09:55:52 AM »
Some people are stupid with their money and have to show everyone they are successful by buying a palace.

I wonder how much the heating and cooling is in that warehouse every month.

What's astounding is that both Bert and Marotta built these monstrosities. They actually sat down and dreamed up these things, not once ever asking themselves about what they needed v what they wanted. Aren't they embarrassed when they drive up at night and these things fill up their windscreen?

Death on call

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 10:03:04 AM »
What's astounding is that both Bert and Marotta built these monstrosities. They actually sat down and dreamed up these things, not once ever asking themselves about what they needed v what they wanted. Aren't they embarrassed when they drive up at night and these things fill up their windscreen?

The reason they build these monstrosities is to house their enormous egos.  I can't imagine living in a house that it may take a 5 minute walk to talk to a family member.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 10:03:58 AM »
The smaller modern structure to the right, if a house, looks pretty cool.  More my style and size, I think.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 10:06:15 AM »

Probably similar to a Director of Community Affairs type of job.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 10:14:27 AM »
Probably similar to a Director of Community Affairs type of job.

Actually, not. She is the Chief Environmental Responsibility Officer for her corporation which is a very specific mandate and quite different than Community Outreach. On the left coast these roles typically have people with science backgrounds and exceptional green credentials rather than lawyers. And they certainly live the mission. If Marotta was in Seattle or SF the press would crucify her for living in that house and would be justified in doing so.

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 10:15:38 AM »
My house is the same size as his garage!

Nukem2

• All American

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 10:18:20 AM »
If the Wisconsin media didn't bury Marc Marotta for the sh*t he pulled when working for the governor, they certainly aren't going to bury her for this.  (And that isn't a political statement...)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Ludum habemus.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »
Even if I had the $$ to build this pile, I'd still take an old, understated victorian with a wraparound porch.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 10:24:49 AM »
If the Wisconsin media didn't bury Marc Marotta for the sh*t he pulled when working for the governor, they certainly aren't going to bury her for this.  (And that isn't a political statement...)

I like Marc personally.  Was an engaging guy as a student, and it was clear he had bigger fish to fry.  We called him "Senator" back then.

I can only guess why the media didn't bury him.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 10:25:53 AM »

Yea, I don't know about his politics or what happened but if she were in Seattle or SF in that job and living in that house she would hear about it. And she should. There is nothing sustainable about that lifestyle.

Death on call

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 10:51:05 AM »
Yea, I don't know about his politics or what happened but if she were in Seattle or SF in that job and living in that house she would hear about it. And she should. There is nothing sustainable about that lifestyle.

Maybe they have a composting facility wing?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Love House

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 11:04:24 AM »
The smaller modern structure to the right, if a house, looks pretty cool.  More my style and size, I think.

That's where they store all the leftover sustainability equipment.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 11:30:32 AM »
What is wrong with some of you?

If he/she/they want a big house that he/she/they have paid for, they can have it.  This is America, isn't it?  A person still has the right to spend money the way he/she sees fit, right? 

Some people have car collections, some big houses, some like to travel.  What the big f'ing deal?  And you think this is excessive?  Have you ever been in one of the turn of the 19th century mansions?  This is a shack in comparison.

FACT is that the standard of living for EVERY strata of the income scale is higher today than it ever has been.  We live in a time of unprecedented prosperity - all of us, no matter what the income.  We should all be thankful, not bitching about trivial crap like this.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 11:37:08 AM »
What is wrong with some of you?

If he/she/they want a big house that he/she/they have paid for, they can have it.  This is America, isn't it?  A person still has the right to spend money the way he/she sees fit, right? 

Is anyone arguing they don't have the right to build such a house?  No.

We're saying it's ugly.