[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Addendum to the On & Off Scoop Pizza Thread  (Read 8169 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Addendum to the On & Off Scoop Pizza Thread
« on: April 30, 2014, 12:01:50 PM »
I know there is always some Scoop discussion on pizza.  Here's some news of interest on one of the New Haven's pizza royalty locations.  It was also Frank Sinatra's favorite pizza place.  Any interested buyers?

(Also a name is mentioned for pizza place to visit in D.C. for those scoopers who live there.)

From the Hartford Courant:
New Haven's Famed Sally's Apizza For Sale
http://www.courant.com/business/real-estate/hc-mct-sallys-pizza-for-sale-20140430,0,2125876.story

From The New Haven Register:
http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20140429/new-havens-famed-sallys-apizza-for-sale

New Haven’s famed Sally’s Apizza for sale

By Mark Zaretsky, New Haven Register and Mary E. O’Leary, New Haven Register
Posted: 04/29/14, 5:29 PM EDT

A major slice of New Haven is for sale at the right price.
Bob Consiglio, who owns Sally’s Apizza on Wooster Street with his brother, Rick, and sister, Ruth, confirmed that the family has had multiple offers since soon after their mother, Flora Consiglio, died in 2012.
But don’t fret, Sally’s aficionados.

“Sally’s is not going anywhere...” Consiglio said.
“There are a few (offers) that look very good and promising,” he said, but there is no single deal on the table at this point.
Discussions on the price are a closely kept secret, but some following the potential sale say they ranged from $1 million to $2 million.
“There have been inquiries and there have been offers, but nothing that has gone as far as having contracts drawn up,” Bob Consiglio said Tuesday.
Consiglio said “being Americans, everything is for sale,” should the right offer come along.
He said there have been all kinds of rumors about the iconic pizzeria, none of which are true.
“I’ve heard that we’re just shutting down. I’ve heard that Modern Apizza bought us. I heard that we’re merging with Pepe’s,” he said,
If or when they do sell, he said, “I’ll be there. Me and my brother are the only ones my dad ever showed how to do what he did.”
At some point, “there might be something” and “we might sell,” Consiglio said. “Nothing’s for certain in this world.”

The pizzeria was founded in 1938 by Flora “Flo” Consiglio and her husband, Salvatore “Sally” Consiglio.
Flo, the matriarch of the family-owned business, died in September 2012; Sal died in 1989.
The question in New Haven has always been whether you were a Sally’s fan or a devotee of Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, another pizzeria on Wooster Street, which now has several additional location in Connecticut, along with one in Yonkers, N.Y. and others on the way in the Boston area.
“There obviously is a great deal of interest (in the sale), as there should be,” a person close to the negotiations said.
A neighborhood institution, the Consiglios owned the corner lot at Olive and Wooster streets, which was named in honor of Sal Consiglio, with the name expanded after Flo’s passing to memorialize them both.

It’s the kind of iconic place — never updated — that has served generations of New Haven-area families in New Haven’s Little Italy area.
The transaction is said to be at a “delicate stage,” but could be closer to a deal in a few weeks’ time, according to a source.
Matthew Nemerson, the city’s economic development administrator, said “we can’t begrudge the Consiglio family monetizing the hard work of their parents.”
He said the city has seen Pepe’s expand across New England and Modern is now a brand emblazoned on T-shirts and other memorabilia.
“I think we have to face the reality that New Haven pizza has become a global iconic product,” Nemerson said.
He said the most popular pizza in Washington, D.C., is Pete’s New Haven Style Apizza.
“Many great businesses don’t go generation to generation. They go to new owners,” Nemerson said.
He hopes it means there will continue to be many Sally’s in the future, keeping this unique New Haven identity alive.
Flo Consiglio always sat in the same booth near the pizzeria’s famed ovens where they turn out their thin-crust pie. There she greeted old customers and always remembered to ask about the children of those loyal fans who may have moved away.

It was a place where returning college students would be sure to stop by when they were home for Thanksgiving and Christmas vacations.

Call Mary E. O’Leary at 203-789-5731. Have questions, feedback or ideas about our news coverage? Connect directly with the editors of the New Haven Register at AskTheRegister.com.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 07:25:10 PM by mu_hilltopper »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Addendum to the On & Off Sccop Pizza Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
Only 3 places I go for pizza. (besides McCormick but thats not real pizza) Lou malnatis, a little take out only place by my house called JB Albertos and Village inn, which is a bar near us too.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 02:00:02 PM »
I know there is always some Scoop discussion on pizza.  Here's some news of interest on one of the New Haven's pizza royalty locations.  It was also Frank Sinatra's favorite pizza place.  Any interested buyers?

(Also a name is mentioned for pizza place to visit in D.C. for those scoopers who live there.)

From the Hartford Courant:
New Haven's Famed Sally's Apizza For Sale
http://www.courant.com/business/real-estate/hc-mct-sallys-pizza-for-sale-20140430,0,2125876.story

From The New Haven Register:
http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20140429/new-havens-famed-sallys-apizza-for-sale

New Haven’s famed Sally’s Apizza for sale

By Mark Zaretsky, New Haven Register and Mary E. O’Leary, New Haven Register
Posted: 04/29/14, 5:29 PM EDT

A major slice of New Haven is for sale at the right price.
Bob Consiglio, who owns Sally’s Apizza on Wooster Street with his brother, Rick, and sister, Ruth, confirmed that the family has had multiple offers since soon after their mother, Flora Consiglio, died in 2012.
But don’t fret, Sally’s aficionados.

“Sally’s is not going anywhere...” Consiglio said.
“There are a few (offers) that look very good and promising,” he said, but there is no single deal on the table at this point.
Discussions on the price are a closely kept secret, but some following the potential sale say they ranged from $1 million to $2 million.
“There have been inquiries and there have been offers, but nothing that has gone as far as having contracts drawn up,” Bob Consiglio said Tuesday.
Consiglio said “being Americans, everything is for sale,” should the right offer come along.
He said there have been all kinds of rumors about the iconic pizzeria, none of which are true.
“I’ve heard that we’re just shutting down. I’ve heard that Modern Apizza bought us. I heard that we’re merging with Pepe’s,” he said,
If or when they do sell, he said, “I’ll be there. Me and my brother are the only ones my dad ever showed how to do what he did.”
At some point, “there might be something” and “we might sell,” Consiglio said. “Nothing’s for certain in this world.”

The pizzeria was founded in 1938 by Flora “Flo” Consiglio and her husband, Salvatore “Sally” Consiglio.
Flo, the matriarch of the family-owned business, died in September 2012; Sal died in 1989.
The question in New Haven has always been whether you were a Sally’s fan or a devotee of Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, another pizzeria on Wooster Street, which now has several additional location in Connecticut, along with one in Yonkers, N.Y. and others on the way in the Boston area.
“There obviously is a great deal of interest (in the sale), as there should be,” a person close to the negotiations said.
A neighborhood institution, the Consiglios owned the corner lot at Olive and Wooster streets, which was named in honor of Sal Consiglio, with the name expanded after Flo’s passing to memorialize them both.

It’s the kind of iconic place — never updated — that has served generations of New Haven-area families in New Haven’s Little Italy area.
The transaction is said to be at a “delicate stage,” but could be closer to a deal in a few weeks’ time, according to a source.
Matthew Nemerson, the city’s economic development administrator, said “we can’t begrudge the Consiglio family monetizing the hard work of their parents.”
He said the city has seen Pepe’s expand across New England and Modern is now a brand emblazoned on T-shirts and other memorabilia.
“I think we have to face the reality that New Haven pizza has become a global iconic product,” Nemerson said.
He said the most popular pizza in Washington, D.C., is Pete’s New Haven Style Apizza.
“Many great businesses don’t go generation to generation. They go to new owners,” Nemerson said.
He hopes it means there will continue to be many Sally’s in the future, keeping this unique New Haven identity alive.
Flo Consiglio always sat in the same booth near the pizzeria’s famed ovens where they turn out their thin-crust pie. There she greeted old customers and always remembered to ask about the children of those loyal fans who may have moved away.

It was a place where returning college students would be sure to stop by when they were home for Thanksgiving and Christmas vacations.

Call Mary E. O’Leary at 203-789-5731. Have questions, feedback or ideas about our news coverage? Connect directly with the editors of the New Haven Register at AskTheRegister.com.

Damn you, Nutmeg! I need to get back there for some real pie. People argue about NY v Chicago but your stuff is the world's best, bar none.

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »
Damn you, Nutmeg! I need to get back there for some real pie. People argue about NY v Chicago but your stuff is the world's best, bar none.

Good joke.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 02:05:36 PM »
what's this thread about Sccop Pizza, is that a secret forum here somewhere?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 02:13:16 PM »
what's this thread about Sccop Pizza, is that a secret forum here somewhere?

sccop pizza is made when you are s hit-housed and put the pizza in the oven upside down.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 02:42:02 PM »
Good joke.

No joke.  New Haven is looked above NYC & Chicago (and that's not saying either place has bad pizza as there are a lot of good looking pies on that list).  Notice what city appears at #1, #7 & & #11. 

From a recent USA Today article.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2013/11/30/best-pizza-in-america/3785309/

The full list from The Daily Meal:
http://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best-pizzas-america-2013-slideshow

And I always enjoy hearing this story on New Haven vs. Chicago.  It involves a popular name on the Superbar, Rahm Emanuel.
http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20110922/filmmaker-examines-new-havens-pizza-trinity

Filmmaker examines New Haven's pizza trinity

By Jordan Fenster, Entertainment Editor

Posted: 09/22/11, 12:00 AM EDT

There's a story filmmaker Gorman Bechard says he heard from Rosa DeLauro. As the story goes, the congresswoman made a bet with Rahm Emanuel, when the Chicago mayor was a member of congress, that New Haven's pizza was better than pizza from Chicago.

So, DeLauro ships in a ton of pizzas from Sally's, and Emanuel sends for pizzas from his favorite spot in Chicago. They hand out the pizza, and congress actually votes on which is the best.

"Chicago only got two votes," Bechard said. And whatever his politics, Bechard agrees with that particular congressional vote. "I went to the three best pizza places in Chicago. I left there feeling pity."

It's because of stories like this, and "the passion about the pizza," Bechard said, that he decided to make a new, feature-length documentary called "Pizza: A Love Story," about New Haven's three best-known pizza joints -- Modern, Pepe's and Sally's -- and he needs your help.

There's no lack of content. Bechard has spoken to numerous local dignitaries on the subject, and he intends to speak with some high-level Yale graduates, as well.

"I want the two Clintons to talk together," he said. "I'd like to get the Bush twins."

And it might be possible. Another story: Then-president Bill Clinton and Vice President Al Gore are in New Haven, and decide they want some pizza. An aide calls up Sally's and tells the proprietor, Flo Consiglio, that the president would like to come in before the shop opens, for a slice.

As Bechard relates the story, the aide was told, "We don't open early for anybody," so Clinton went to Pepe's instead.

But despite the diplomats, world leaders and other notables who could conceivably be interviewed for the film, there's a small piece missing. Bechard said his "holy grail" is a photo of Modern, pre-1954, when it was known by a different name.

"I would kill for a photo of State Street Pizza," he said.

Bechard -- a five-time novelist and award-winning filmmaker (last week was the New Haven screening for "Color Me Obsessed," his movie about the band The Replacements) -- is adamant that New Haven's pizza is the best in the world, and that the city is known throughout the nation as the place for the best pie.

"I've had pizza everywhere," he said. "Nothing even comes close. Ten-thousand years from now, we will be remembered as the pizza capital of the universe.

"What is it that makes presidents come back to Yale? What is it that makes Steven Spielberg get pizzas from Modern?"

He even offers an explanation. "It's all about the water," he said. Oh, yeah, and the ovens.

"You can't make ovens like that any more. It's not even legal," Bechard said. "You have three ovens with 80 years of pizza crud on them."

As a novelist, Bechard knows that good stories contain an element of conflict, and "Pizza: A Love Story" -- now about a third of the way through filming -- has its share. But, if he can be believed, there's little disagreement among the trifecta.

"They all respect each other. They all have lines out the door," Bechard said. "The conflict is in the people. New Haven is polarized. Not by politics, not by religion, but by which pizza place is better."

And, before you even ask, I'll tell you -- Bechard has his preference, and he's not shy about sharing it.

"If I was on on death row, my last meal would be Sally's," he said.

If you've got a photo of Modern Apizza, or State Street Pizza as it was known, from between 1934 and 1954, send an email to pizzaalovestory@gmail.com. For more information on the film, log on to pizzaalovestory.com.

Jordan Fenster is the entertainment editor at the New Haven Register. He can be reached by email at jfenster@nhregister.com. Follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/NHRegBuzz or find us at Facebook.com/NHRegBuzz. To receive breaking news first - simply text the word nhnews to 22700. Standard msg+data rates may apply.

Pepe's even has photos hanging up from President Reagan's and President Clinton's visit there.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 02:50:18 PM »
Good joke.

Chitown - No joke. The pie in CT is the best in the world. Funnily enough.

Death on call

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 03:01:39 PM »
I was born in Chicago and now live in New Haven.  I would take the 4th best New Haven joint over Lou Malnatis...or really any Chicago joint.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »
I was born in Chicago and now live in New Haven.  I would take the 4th best New Haven joint over Lou Malnatis...or really any Chicago joint.

4th Best - The Bar/Bruroom?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 03:33:22 PM »
4th Best - The Bar/Bruroom?

You nailed it -- yes Bar.....way under-rated especially paired with their extensive beer list.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 03:44:04 PM »
You nailed it -- yes Bar.....way under-rated especially paired with their extensive beer list.

I visit often also.  Along with the beer & pizza, we go because my wife wants their house arugula salad with the feta cheese & pecans.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 03:47:40 PM »
Only 3 places I go for pizza. (besides McCormick but thats not real pizza) Lou malnatis, a little take out only place by my house called JB Albertos and Village inn, which is a bar near us too.

JB Albertos?!?! You've got to be kidding me. That's basically the epitome of mediocre pizza.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 04:13:03 PM »
Mmmm and here we are having a stuffed pizza from Pizzaria Scotty tonight  :(

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 07:17:14 PM »
It's not on the level of the big boys, but every now and then I get a craving for Barnabys.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
Re: Addendum to the On & Off Scoop Pizza Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 12:04:26 AM »
I love that nobody in Chicago refers to anything as "pie" other than pie itself.

That being said, next time I'm out east I'll give New Haven a try.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 02:27:27 PM »
I drove through New Haven this weekend.  I went to the famed Frank Pepe's and I must say that for all the hype, the long lines, the history, etc., I was underwhelmed. 

Don't get me wrong, the pizza was good, but I have had better from places where I can't even remember the name.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 03:21:56 PM »
I drove through New Haven this weekend.  I went to the famed Frank Pepe's and I must say that for all the hype, the long lines, the history, etc., I was underwhelmed. 

Don't get me wrong, the pizza was good, but I have had better from places where I can't even remember the name.

That's how I felt with Regina Pizzeria. Good, just not memorable.
SS Marquette

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »
It's not on the level of the big boys, but every now and then I get a craving for Barnabys.

LOL.  jsglow worked at a Milwaukee Barnaby's as a teenager.  I didn't even know that chain still existed.
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 04:56:37 PM »
LOL.  jsglow worked at a Milwaukee Barnaby's as a teenager.  I didn't even know that chain still existed.

A few in Chicago.  One in Mishawaka is packed every weekend.

On a separate note, had pizza on Fridays at Shorty's in Superior. Featured on DDD.  Pretty good stuff.  Not the top pizza on the planet, but worth the stop.

Keep away from the poutine.  Que up 'Never in 3, 2, 1.......

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »

On a separate note, had pizza on Fridays at Shorty's in Superior. Featured on DDD.  Pretty good stuff.  Not the top pizza on the planet, but worth the stop.

Anything good in our neighborhood? I'm up for a game day pie.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 06:59:34 PM »
Anything good in our neighborhood? I'm up for a game day pie.

Rocco's, Ronally's, Carbone's, Pino's.

Might be doing brisket and ribs next Sunday.  Big John from Lake Elmo Inn (great bartender) might be coming over to do ribs.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 07:30:14 AM »

The important part was that it was good.  Did you wait in line for an hour?  I never do.  You should have given me a heads up and I would have made recommended time frames to avoid a line or sent you to the original location in the back of the parking lot called Frank Pepe's The Spot.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 12:35:37 PM »
The important part was that it was good.  Did you wait in line for an hour?  I never do.  You should have given me a heads up and I would have made recommended time frames to avoid a line or sent you to the original location in the back of the parking lot called Frank Pepe's The Spot.

I did in fact go to the original location.  It was Friday evening so both locations were packed.  We waited about 40 minutes for the pie.  Not too bad, as it gave me a chance to walk around New Haven a bit (had never been there before that).

Is there any typical way to get the pizza?  By that I mean is there one way that everyone gets?  A consensus on which pie is best?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 02:19:46 PM »
Pepe's best pie and best known is the white clam pie.  My favorite at Pepe's is a red pie with mooz & bacon.

I'm on my phone now so limited in search but The Daily Meal website has named the white clam best pie in the USA the last 2 years.  Sally's up the street had a pie listed at #7.
To avoid the line it's best to go around 11:30am or pre-dinner like 3:30pm or later like 7:30pm.
Did you walk by Yale or just The Little Italy section and Wooster Square?
Did you get dessert next door to Pepe's at Libby's Italian Bakery?