[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ouch, Illinois...  (Read 30237 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Ouch, Illinois...
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:10:25 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/04/25/state-pride-gallup-montana-alaska/8140879/

For the record, I like Illinois.  Chicago is a world class city, and the rural areas of Illinois are basically the same as Wisconsin/Indiana/Iowa/Minnesota, aren't they?

So what explains the lack of pride?
Ludum habemus.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Ouch, Illinois...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/04/25/state-pride-gallup-montana-alaska/8140879/

For the record, I like Illinois.  Chicago is a world class city, and the rural areas of Illinois are basically the same as Wisconsin/Indiana/Iowa/Minnesota, aren't they?

I'm surprised this didn't help

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-chicagoland-emails-20140424,0,3225160.htmlpage

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-rahm-emanuel-chicagoland-met-20140425,0,2516905.story

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 12:49:20 PM »

I'll bite:

How about completely corrupt politicians, high taxes, and a government on the verge of bankruptcy?
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 12:52:56 PM »
I'll bite:

How about completely corrupt politicians, high taxes, and a government on the verge of bankruptcy?

Russia?  UK?  California?  NY?  Italy?  Michigan?  etc., etc., etc...

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 12:55:28 PM »
Let's also consider this completely counterproductive tourism ad:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bnWhAT6Cjws?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; width=&quot;560&quot; height=&quot;315&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bnWhAT6Cjws?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; width=&quot;560&quot; height=&quot;315&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;</a>

Nothing better to sell the state than to tell everyone that except for Downtown Chicago, Starved Rock State Park, and the Lincoln Presidential Library, there is absolutely nothing of interest here.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 12:56:38 PM »
Russia?  UK?  California?  NY?  Italy?  Michigan?  etc., etc., etc...

Maybe we Illinoisians are just better at self-assessment than the residents of those other screwed-up places.
Have some patience, FFS.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 12:57:42 PM »
I'll bite:

Or maybe its major hub Chicago has a transient population with no emotional ties to Illiinois and it's bitterly cold? Nah, gotta be taxes.  ::)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 01:02:58 PM »
there is absolutely nothing of interest here.

Well, truth in advertising. Refreshing.

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 01:04:34 PM »
I would offer the following:

1) Corrupt government, rising taxes, unfunded pensions, stagnant unemployment, etc.
2) The survey sample skewed towards Chicago-residents who are either embarrassed or can't reconcile that there's 45,000 sq miles of the state lying outside the Chicagoland area.
3) Too many Bears and Cubs fans... not enough Blackhawks and Bulls fans.
4) Lack of a dominant "State Institution" with which residents can identify.  Wisconsin has the Packers.  Kentucky has UK.  Utah has LDS.  Minnesota has lutefisk (or maybe it's the horns stuck in their noggins).  Texas has Texas.  What does Illinois have?  (Hawaii already claimed Obama, so no luck there).
5) The lovely murder rate that no one ever speaks about until it gets out of hand.  (At least Detroit and Oakland realize they have a problem)
6) Rio 2016.
7) Jim Belushi.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »
I would offer the following:

1) Corrupt government, rising taxes, unfunded pensions, stagnant unemployment, etc.
2) The survey sample skewed towards Chicago-residents who are either embarrassed or can't reconcile that there's 45,000 sq miles of the state lying outside the Chicagoland area.
3) Too many Bears and Cubs fans... not enough Blackhawks and Bulls fans.
4) Lack of a dominant "State Institution" with which residents can identify.  Wisconsin has the Packers.  Kentucky has UK.  Utah has LDS.  Minnesota has lutefisk (or maybe it's the horns stuck in their noggins).  Texas has Texas.  What does Illinois have?  (Hawaii already claimed Obama, so no luck there).
5) The lovely murder rate that no one ever speaks about until it gets out of hand.  (At least Detroit and Oakland realize they have a problem)
6) Rio 2016.
7) Jim Belushi.

I would agree with all of the above.  I was simply hitting what I considered the top 3.

And I am sure that at the time of the whole Blago mess, I wasn't the only person who got snickered at during my travels when I told people I was from Illinois.
Have some patience, FFS.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 01:17:26 PM »
Minnesota is a weird place....freezing cold winters...dreary springs....only 4 months of nice weather....and extremely high state income tax, and other taxes....shocking that its residents love it so much...I can only assume most have never lived anywhere other than MN.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 01:19:37 PM »
I'm not sure it has as much to do with "pride", but I'm sure the people of IL recognize that they don't have the 'best or one of the best' to live in.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 01:21:30 PM »
Meh. Im a very proud Chicagoan and yes I use the term Chicagoan because the difference between the city and the rest of the state, is probably the biggest discrepency between any major city and their respective state.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 01:22:47 PM »

And I am sure that at the time of the whole Blago mess, I wasn't the only person who got snickered at during my travels when I told people I was from Illinois.

And when I travel abroad, I almost always say that I'm from "near Chicago" since no one knows where the heck Milwaukee is. 
Ludum habemus.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 01:24:17 PM »
Whatever you don't, just don't make fun of any politicians on Twitter.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/22/peoria-ill-police-raid-home-discern-who-mocked-may/
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 01:29:24 PM »
Meh. Im a very proud Chicagoan and yes I use the term Chicagoan because the difference between the city and the rest of the state, is probably the biggest discrepency between any major city and their respective state.

Interesting - I would say Miami compared to FL and Portland compared to OR are in the conversation.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:48:31 PM by ttheisen »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 01:33:49 PM »
And when I travel abroad, I almost always say that I'm from "near Chicago" since no one knows where the heck Milwaukee is. 

When I was traveling in Europe in the mid '80's and told people I was from Milwaukee, they would ask me if I knew Fonzie or Laverne and Shirley.
Have some patience, FFS.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 01:44:08 PM »

Fixed.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »
Fixed.

Agreed.  WI and MN are much more interesting, and there is forests, lakes and rivers.

Its not just flat farm land.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 01:49:19 PM »
The fact of the matter is that Chicagoans are very proud of Chicago. More so than residents of any city in Wisconsin or probably anywhere else in the Midwest. Spend 15 minutes in Chicago and you will see more 4 Star flags hanging in windows and at bars than you will see Milwaukee flags (I'm assuming they have one?) in the entire city of Milwaukee - I lived in Milwaukee for 5 years and couldn't even tell you what their flag looks like.

I say this as someone living in Chicago for the past five years (after spending the first 23 years of my life in Wisconsin) and having tons of friends from Chicago as well.

There is animosity between Chicagoans and downstate Illinoisans as they perceive our outsize political, cultural, fiscal, and economic influence on the rest of the state as unfair. Perhaps this is true, or perhaps not. There is also the perception that people from downstate are hillbillies and there is very little culture, or even natural attractions such as Wisconsin's northwoods or state parks. Southern and central Illinois is entirely flat farmland. There isn't much to see or do.

All of this is why Chicagoans are very, very proud of their city, but could care less about the rest of the state.

For the record, I am proud of my Wisconsin heritage, but even prouder to live in one of the greatest cities in the world. I have no strong desire to move back north of the border, although I would for the right job.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:55:15 PM by Bleuteaux »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »
Plenty of flat farm land in Minny.  Check out the area around Mankato sometime.  
(And yes, I get the draw of the "Up North" areas).
Ludum habemus.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »
See:  Miami vs. the rest of Florida.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 01:51:40 PM »
When I look at the chart I see the higher percentage states have some sort homogeniality to rally around that helps explain the percentage.  Utah - Mormanism.  Minnesota - predominate Scandinavian background.  Vermont - Green Mountains, Ben & Jerry's, skiing with a small population fits the whole state.  New Hampshire - Small population and see the license plate.  Wisconsin - The Packers & Cheese(heads).  Alaska & Wyoming & Montana -Very large geographically yet very UNpopulated states.  And Texas is full of Texans.  (Which is you asked the other 49 would probably be the least liked state.)

As a Connecticut ambassador (as I've been called), I do see a large number of unhappy with Connecticut people, but the very same people think "everything sucks" and when asked where is it better can never provide an answer.  What does it mean?  I don't know?

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 01:56:03 PM »
Minnesota is a weird place....freezing cold winters...dreary springs....only 4 months of nice weather....and extremely high state income tax, and other taxes....shocking that its residents love it so much...I can only assume most have never lived anywhere other than MN.

I have lived in Chicago and obviously Milwaukee.  Moved here 20 years ago and love it.  I love winter because my wife and I snowmobile every single weekend so the more snow the better.  I don't know what you mean by dreary springs because it has been beautiful weather lately.  State income tax is high I will give you that but my property taxes are literally 80% less than my family and friends who live in the burbs of Chicago.  No offense but what are the other taxes that I am paying that I do not know about? And everyone here is so nice.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 01:56:45 PM »
The fact of the matter is that Chicagoans are very proud of Chicago. More so than residents of any city in Wisconsin or probably anywhere else in the Midwest. Spend 15 minutes in Chicago and you will see more 4 Star flags hanging in windows and at bars than you will see Milwaukee flags (I'm assuming they have one?) in the entire city of Milwaukee - I lived in Milwaukee for 5 years and couldn't even tell you what their flag looks like.

I say this as someone living in Chicago for the past five years (after spending the first 23 years of my life in Wisconsin) and having tons of friends from Chicago as well.

There is animosity between Chicagoans and downstate Illinoisans as they perceive our outsize political, cultural, fiscal, and economic influence on the rest of the state as unfair. Perhaps this is true, or perhaps not. There is also the perception that people from downstate are hillbillies and there is very little culture, or even natural attractions such as Wisconsin's northwoods or state parks. Southern and central Illinois is entirely flat farmland. There isn't much to see or do.

All of this is why Chicagoans are very, very proud of their city, but could care less about the rest of the state.

For the record, I am proud of my Wisconsin heritage, but even prouder to live in one of the greatest cities in the world.

I think this just about sums it up best. The only times I have been down state were to visit my friends at U of I or SIU. The colleges are the "cities" in those areas, Chambana and Carbondale.  Chicagoans really do believe that the people from down state are redneck hillbillies whatever you like to call them. Chicago is its own state.

feedback