[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ouch, Illinois...  (Read 30239 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Ouch, Illinois...
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2014, 03:59:15 PM »
It is interesting. People always attribute the corruption to state government, complain about state taxes, etc., but the mayor of Chicago is basically a beloved prince with unquestioned power.

Whether that's a fair perception of the state and the city, I'm not sure, but it is the perception.

LOL....beloved....birds of a feather flock together

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2014, 04:05:12 PM »
Do you think the residents of Lawndale and Inglewood have a lot of city pride?  I am just asking; I don't know.  Chicago is a great place to live if you are relatively well off and can afford to send your kids to private school and don't rely much on city services.  Otherwise, not so much.

Also, it's possible to love Chicago and hate Illinois.

Having grown up about two miles from north lawndale and having boxed out of their gym (honestly you don't go to Lincoln Park or Lakeview if you wanna box) I can say there's tons of it.  Don't wanna be stereotypical here but while they might not care about the cubs or Blackhawks if the bulls or even the sox were to win it again you'd see just how much they care about the city
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2014, 04:05:20 PM »
Let's not forget that a few days ago the Illinois legislature voted to spend $100 million on the Obama Presidential Library.  And it's not about what you think of Obama; it's about the fact that

a)presidential libraries are usually built from private donations and

b) THE STATE IS BROKE!

That's a little surprising, maybe George Clooney can step up with some donations

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/norm-clarke/wynn-clooney-exchange-barbs-over-heated-dinner-conversation

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2014, 04:19:07 PM »
Let's tone down the outrage.

You said, and i quote,
Implying that Kayne was from the projects shown in his video.  Warriorchick simply explained he was not from said projects.  

She could have said he was not from the projects and that would have been that, I would have graciously stood corrected. But she also said I made assumptions about him because of the color of his skin, when that was not the basis of my judgment. The basis was instead his lyrics in many songs about the projects, gangs, other elements of that culture. So based on that, I assumed he was from that background. I guess those songs do not accurately represent his upbringing, but I wasn't aware of that before now. All I knew was he was from Chicago.

I can be wrong - and I was - and I'm always willing to admit when I am. But its another thing to say I was wrong because of some sort of prejudice.

Moving on...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:30:38 PM by Bleuteaux »

brandx

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2014, 04:34:20 PM »
I think this just about sums it up best. The only times I have been down state were to visit my friends at U of I or SIU. The colleges are the "cities" in those areas, Chambana and Carbondale.  Chicagoans really do believe that the people from down state are redneck hillbillies whatever you like to call them. Chicago is its own state.

Aren't they? As a lifelong Wisconsinite, I go to Chicago a lot.

The rest of the state? Just what I'm forced to drive through when I go to Colorado and Utah.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2014, 04:45:44 PM »

What is the difference between the residents in downstate Illinois and the residents of upstate Wisconsin?
Have some patience, FFS.

Dan

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2014, 04:59:39 PM »
300 miles & shoes. In that order.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2014, 05:00:09 PM »
probably the biggest discrepency between any major city and their respective state.

You are young.

Ask someone not from Seattle, NYC, Lanta, Miami, Portland, Las Vegas, LA, Balmer, etc...how they feel about those cities. One big difference is that they might not even know someone in those cities while people in Illinois likely know someone in Chicago. Seattle and the other side of the Cascades are night and day.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2014, 05:19:35 PM »

The rest of the state? Just what I'm forced to drive through when I go to Colorado and Utah.

Tolerance....progress....moving forward...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2014, 05:23:10 PM »
Meh. Im a very proud Chicagoan and yes I use the term Chicagoan because the difference between the city and the rest of the state, is probably the biggest discrepency between any major city and their respective state.

Detroit and Michigan comes to mind.  Milwaukee and Wisconsin to a lesser extent.  There was a time when New York and NYC was like that to some degree, then NYC cleaned up their act and things got better.

A lot of people aren't thrilled with the giant sucking sounds coming from those urban areas.  At least, that is their perception.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2014, 05:57:28 PM »
Ners are you from Dallas or move there after college? I can't recall meeting anyone from Texas during my time at MU (minus bball players)

Moved there 16 years ago..right after graduating from MU.  Grew up in WI.  Love Texas....probably takes living there for a little while to "get it" as far as why Texans are so proud.  West Texas is nothing to write home about...ugly....but the Hill Country..Austin..are great.  Dallas proper is very nice.  Fort Worth as well...lots of trees, hills in Fort Worth.  The urban sprawl of the suburbs is blah.  But...when you can live in a suburb with good schools in a brand new home, that's 3,000 sqaure feet with a swimming pool for 300,000-350,000...and pay no state income tax, shovel no snow, wake up to sun 300 days a year...that's pretty great.

I love to snow ski/snowboard...but prefer to just go to Colorado/New Mexico for one or two weeks in the winter...and get my fix, then get out of the cold.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brandx

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2014, 11:10:25 PM »
What is the difference between the residents in downstate Illinois and the residents of upstate Wisconsin?

No difference.

brandx

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2014, 11:30:34 PM »
Tolerance....progress....moving forward...

Humor escaping you lately?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2014, 11:43:57 PM »
the Illinois legislature voted to spend $100 million on the Obama Presidential Library

Why? Won't it be in Menteng?

Dia dari Jakarta ini orang Indonesia kan!

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »
Humor escaping you lately?

This is typically how the "tolerant" (self anointed) folks act...."tolerant for me, but not for thee".   "Tolerant for my position, but not yours"..."do as I say, not as I do"

You are right, it is funny, but in a sad funny way.

brandx

« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2014, 11:27:46 AM »
Why? Won't it be in Menteng?

Dia dari Jakarta ini orang Indonesia kan!

Or Nairobi?

The oil sheiks came through with money to help build the GWB library, so I'm sure the jungle "sheiks" will come up with something for BO's place. Maybe some nice pelts to put on the wall?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2014, 12:56:37 PM »
Or Nairobi?

The oil sheiks came through with money to help build the GWB library, so I'm sure the jungle "sheiks" will come up with something for BO's place. Maybe some nice pelts to put on the wall?

I lived in Jakarta for 4 years and know the area BO lived. It's actually part of the old Dutch area and the architecture comes out of 18th and 19th century Amsterdam.

Frankly, I've dismissed all of the foolishness about BO's place of birth and offshore residency as polemic. I was born outside the US of American parents and know there is zero question about my citizenship. His mother grew up here on Mercer Island; the man was born an American from his first breath. That he spent part of his childhood living in foreign cultures makes him a more rounded, tolerant, and inclusive person.

I would rather have a President who has a genuine global perspective than one who has only lived in Chicago.

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2014, 01:47:04 PM »
This is typically how the "tolerant" (self anointed) folks act...."tolerant for me, but not for thee".   "Tolerant for my position, but not yours"..."do as I say, not as I do"

You are right, it is funny, but in a sad funny way.

It kind of sounds like you're trying to be upset that a tolerant person isn't tolerant of intolerance. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

brandx

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
I lived in Jakarta for 4 years and know the area BO lived. It's actually part of the old Dutch area and the architecture comes out of 18th and 19th century Amsterdam.

Frankly, I've dismissed all of the foolishness about BO's place of birth and offshore residency as polemic. I was born outside the US of American parents and know there is zero question about my citizenship. His mother grew up here on Mercer Island; the man was born an American from his first breath. That he spent part of his childhood living in foreign cultures makes him a more rounded, tolerant, and inclusive person.

I would rather have a President who has a genuine global perspective than one who has only lived in Chicago.

Agree completely. It would be great if more American kids could spend a little time abroad. Completely opens your horizons. I still remember my 1st trip to Honduras and how it changed my outlook on the world and how outsiders view the US.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2014, 02:51:36 PM »
What a coincidence...someone posted this to my Facebook today.

Have some patience, FFS.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2014, 03:05:12 PM »

I'm cringing with embarrassment at how unfunny this is despite how hard it's trying

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2014, 03:18:55 PM »
Agree completely. It would be great if more American kids could spend a little time abroad. Completely opens your horizons. I still remember my 1st trip to Honduras and how it changed my outlook on the world and how outsiders view the US.

I also agree, but too often "abroad" is one thing, and five miles is another.  My good friend is a teacher in the MPS system, middle school level, and he hosts a "discover Your city" trip each spring.  He has been doing this for 33 years.  Every year he shakes his head in disbelief at the number of his students that have never laid eyes on Lake Michigan. 
Ludum habemus.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2014, 03:41:27 PM »

I think most Americans, especially those in Middle America, would be stunned to know how most of the world views us.

I went to Hondo but it was military-related, flying F 16s for the NDANG. I didn't get any time to explore but did get to see how beautiful that region is from the air. Would love to go back someday for pleasure - even a recent trip to the Andes was entirely work related.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2014, 03:52:19 PM »

Is the Sears Tower still called that? What a colossal collapse. MU grads ran both Sears and Montgomery Wards into the ground. Brilliant.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2014, 03:59:26 PM »
Is the Sears Tower still called that? What a colossal collapse. MU grads ran both Sears and Montgomery Wards into the ground. Brilliant.

It's the Willis Tower now.  Although when my son was little, he used to refer to it as the "Serious Tower".
Have some patience, FFS.