[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ouch, Illinois...  (Read 30241 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Ouch, Illinois...
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 01:58:46 PM »
I think it's because of the division in the state.  I mean when the rest of the state is actively trying to push legislation through to get the Chicagoland area out it makes it hard to feel united.  Not to mention of the most populated counties three of them spend their time hating on Cook county for being so liberal.  It's also because all of our sports teams are Chicago specific and tons of people down south actually support St Louis sports feeling more associated with Missouri.  Even U of I isn't in a big part of the state like Madison is in well Madison, Minnesota is in the twin cities, etc.

There's more chicago pride though than almost every other city I've been to outside of maybe Boston.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 02:02:26 PM »
I can't believe that Texas is not closer to 90%.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 02:03:26 PM »
Let's face it the south starts around Kankakee.  Springfield is definitely in the south.  It's two states
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 02:08:01 PM »
Plenty of flat farm land in Minny.  Check out the area around Mankato sometime.  
(And yes, I get the draw of the "Up North" areas).

There is no reason ever to go to Mankato.  South of me might as well be Iowa except for the SE part of the state along the Mississippi. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2014, 02:08:24 PM »
By the way, there is nothing wrong with a heavy sense of skepticism and self-deprecation. Chicago is a capital of comedy and doesn't take itself, or the rest of Illinois, too seriously. The fact that Texas thinks so highly of itself speaks volumes...

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »
By the way, there is nothing wrong with a heavy sense of skepticism and self-deprecation. Chicago is a capital of comedy and doesn't take itself, or the rest of Illinois, too seriously. The fact that Texas thinks so highly of itself speaks volumes...

Second that.
SS Marquette

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 02:11:08 PM »
 Minnesota - predominate Scandinavian background.  

Actually the predominate European background in Minnesota is German followed by Scandinavian.  

37.9% German
32.1% from the Nordic countries; (16.8% Norwegian, 9.5% Swedish, 4.7% Finnish, Danish, Icelandic, Faroese and Karelian)
11.7% Irish
6.3% English
5.1% Polish
4.2% French
3.7% Czech
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:28:00 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 02:12:56 PM »
Interesting - I would say Miami compared to FL and Portland compared to OR are in the conversation.

Double meh.  Oregon has a pretty nativist culture, especially w/ the influx of Californians in the last 25 years.  (Former governor Tom McCall once suggested the border signs read: "Welcome To Oregon.  Welcome to visit. Welcome to leave.")  While the new breed of Portlander might contend to be from the city, lifers tend to indicate that status by saying they're from the state.

The fact of the matter is that Chicagoans are very proud of Chicago. More so than residents of any city in Wisconsin or probably anywhere else in the Midwest. Spend 15 minutes in Chicago and you will see more 4 Star flags hanging in windows and at bars than you will see Milwaukee flags (I'm assuming they have one?) in the entire city of Milwaukee - I lived in Milwaukee for 5 years and couldn't even tell you what their flag looks like.

I say this as someone living in Chicago for the past five years (after spending the first 23 years of my life in Wisconsin) and having tons of friends from Chicago as well.

There is animosity between Chicagoans and downstate Illinoisans as they perceive our outsize political, cultural, fiscal, and economic influence on the rest of the state as unfair. Perhaps this is true, or perhaps not. There is also the perception that people from downstate are hillbillies and there is very little culture, or even natural attractions such as Wisconsin's northwoods or state parks. Southern and central Illinois is entirely flat farmland. There isn't much to see or do.

All of this is why Chicagoans are very, very proud of their city, but could care less about the rest of the state.

For the record, I am proud of my Wisconsin heritage, but even prouder to live in one of the greatest cities in the world. I have no strong desire to move back north of the border, although I would for the right job.

Several folks have already touched on it.  Say "Chicago" and you think of the sports teams, the lakefront, downtown, Rahm and the Daleys (good or bad), summer festivals, etc.  Say "Illinois" and you think of Springfield, Ryan and Blago sharing a cell, or one of the most inept athletic departments in the Big 10.

I think back to when I was a freshman at MU and didn't know a damn thing about the Midwest.  Chicagoland residents were from Chicago, downstate residents were from "near St. Louis."  The only people who used the I-word were Wisconsinites explaining to me the concept of a FIB.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 02:15:30 PM »

There's more chicago pride though than almost every other city I've been to outside of maybe Boston.  

Do you think the residents of Lawndale and Inglewood have a lot of city pride?  I am just asking; I don't know.  Chicago is a great place to live if you are relatively well off and can afford to send your kids to private school and don't rely much on city services.  Otherwise, not so much.

Also, it's possible to love Chicago and hate Illinois.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 02:17:19 PM »
Do you think the residents of Lawndale and Inglewood have a lot of city pride?  I am just asking; I don't know.  

Yes. Absolutely.

Let me know when a rapper from Milwaukee's projects starts writing songs about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ488QrqGE4

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 02:19:27 PM »
Pure Michigan. That is all
Bring back FFP!!!

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »
Let's see what the people who actually took the poll think: (from the Wash Post):

"Okay, so why are people in Illinois so down on their state? The folks at Gallup posit that maybe it has something to do with all of the scandals and investigations that have created basically no trust in the state government or the way residents think the state’s taxes are too high. People in Illinois seem reasonably happy, ranking in the upper half of last year’s Well-Being Index. So maybe they’re just being really honest and admitting that while their state has its charms (Chicago), it’s no North Dakota."

Here is the link to that other mentioned study:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/02/24/whats-the-happiest-state-hint-its-one-of-the-dakotas/

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2014, 02:24:21 PM »
Yes. Absolutely.

Let me know when a rapper from Milwaukee's projects starts writing songs about it...

THIS.  There is a ton of Chicago pride in those areas.  Its different than an appreciate for the Art Institute and Second City perhaps, but its still incredibly strong.

After college, I had friends move to LA, NY, Boston, etc... as well as Chicago.  I can say, pretty clearly, that my friends that moved to Chicago like me developed more pride for their adopted home city than anyone else, by a long shot.  Picking up Chicago teams as their second favorite team, identifying with the city, etc...  There is some profound draw to it.  Has to be to compensate for the miserable weather 8 months out of the year.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2014, 02:25:02 PM »
Let's see what the people who actually took the poll think: (from the Wash Post):

"Okay, so why are people in Illinois so down on their state? The folks at Gallup posit that maybe it has something to do with all of the scandals and investigations that have created basically no trust in the state government or the way residents think the state’s taxes are too high. People in Illinois seem reasonably happy, ranking in the upper half of last year’s Well-Being Index. So maybe they’re just being really honest and admitting that while their state has its charms (Chicago), it’s no North Dakota."

Here is the link to that other mentioned study:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/02/24/whats-the-happiest-state-hint-its-one-of-the-dakotas/

It is interesting. People always attribute the corruption to state government, complain about state taxes, etc., but the mayor of Chicago is basically a beloved prince with unquestioned power.

Whether that's a fair perception of the state and the city, I'm not sure, but it is the perception.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2014, 02:29:35 PM »
Yes. Absolutely.

Kanye grew up in South Shore, which is a middle-class neighborhood. His mother was a college professor and a department chair at her university.  But of course, you assumed that since he is black, he lived in the 'hood.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2014, 02:30:57 PM »
Maybe it is the recent article in the last week about Chicago cooking the books on crime to bring the numbers down. Outstanding

http://www.westernjournalism.com/chicago-police-superintendent-caught-cooking-books/

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »
I have lived in Chicago and obviously Milwaukee.  Moved here 20 years ago and love it.  I love winter because my wife and I snowmobile every single weekend so the more snow the better.  I don't know what you mean by dreary springs because it has been beautiful weather lately.  State income tax is high I will give you that but my property taxes are literally 80% less than my family and friends who live in the burbs of Chicago.  No offense but what are the other taxes that I am paying that I do not know about? And everyone here is so nice.

I get to Minneapolis frequently...love it in the summer time...hate it generally November - May.  Spent the month of May there last year...rained 26 of 31 days...and I believe thus far for this year there have only been 2 days that have reached 70..and it's the end of April.  Living in Dallas of course skews perception with the unreal cost of living, clean, no pot holed streets, no state income tax, property taxes comparable to Minnesota, and sunny 300 days a year...with brutal in the winter equaling about 15 days that fall below 40....As for Chicago....I'd never live there...in my view ridiculously high cost of living for what it has to offer...again, great place in the summer...but the cost to live there...for as bad of weather as you get...no thanks.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2014, 02:34:17 PM »
Kanye grew up in South Shore, which is a middle-class neighborhood. His mother was a college professor and a department chair at her university.  But of course, you assumed that since he is black, he lived in the 'hood.

Yep, you know me so well.

Maybe it was because he showed Cabrini-Green homes in a music video about coming home?

Nah, it must be because I'm racist.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2014, 02:36:11 PM »
Maybe it is the recent article in the last week about Chicago cooking the books on crime to bring the numbers down. Outstanding

http://www.westernjournalism.com/chicago-police-superintendent-caught-cooking-books/

Let's not forget that a few days ago the Illinois legislature voted to spend $100 million on the Obama Presidential Library.  And it's not about what you think of Obama; it's about the fact that

a)presidential libraries are usually built from private donations and

b) THE STATE IS BROKE!
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2014, 02:38:36 PM »
Yep, you know me so well.

Maybe it was because he showed Cabrini-Green homes in a music video about coming home?

Nah, it must be because I'm racist.

He also showed Michigan Avenue and the Gold Coast.

And I wouldn't describe you as racist, but as someone who jumps to conclusions.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2014, 02:43:21 PM »
He also showed Michigan Avenue and the Gold Coast.

And I wouldn't describe you as racist, but as someone who jumps to conclusions.

::)

It doesn't change the fact that a lot of people in poor neighborhoods do have a lot of pride in Chicago, which is what this topic was supposed to be about before you decided to turn it into a discussion of my alleged prejudices.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »
I get to Minneapolis frequently...love it in the summer time...hate it generally November - May.  Spent the month of May there last year...rained 26 of 31 days...and I believe thus far for this year there have only been 2 days that have reached 70..and it's the end of April.  Living in Dallas of course skews perception with the unreal cost of living, clean, no pot holed streets, no state income tax, property taxes comparable to Minnesota, and sunny 300 days a year...with brutal in the winter equaling about 15 days that fall below 40....As for Chicago....I'd never live there...in my view ridiculously high cost of living for what it has to offer...again, great place in the summer...but the cost to live there...for as bad of weather as you get...no thanks.

I guess it is May showers bring June flowers.  You got me on the potholes.  They are horrendous this year but unlike another city I have lived in they actually get out very early and "patch" them up.  Like I said I love winter.  In fact if it were not for my boat I would take 12 months of winter to ride.  Just had 2 close friends move to Austin for all the reasons you stated above.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2014, 02:52:11 PM »

Ners are you from Dallas or move there after college? I can't recall meeting anyone from Texas during my time at MU (minus bball players)
Bring back FFP!!!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2014, 02:59:52 PM »
Do you think the residents of Lawndale and Inglewood have a lot of city pride?  I am just asking; I don't know.  Chicago is a great place to live if you are relatively well off and can afford to send your kids to private school and don't rely much on city services.  Otherwise, not so much.

Also, it's possible to love Chicago and hate Illinois.

I spent 12 years in CPS and I turned out alright. Steve Taylor, Jabari Parker and Derrick Rose are  from Englewood and theyre doing good things. Its a case my case basis. As much as I cant stand D Rose, he does love Chicago.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2014, 03:43:48 PM »
::)

It doesn't change the fact that a lot of people in poor neighborhoods do have a lot of pride in Chicago, which is what this topic was supposed to be about before you decided to turn it into a discussion of my alleged prejudices.
Let's tone down the outrage.

You said, and i quote,
Yes. Absolutely.

Implying that Kayne was from the projects shown in his video.  Warriorchick simply explained he was not from said projects. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt