[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Any Clash of Clan players here?  (Read 49435 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Any Clash of Clan players here?
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 10:53:58 AM »
My kids play Minecraft and I have to usually have to pull the plug on them.  And that's usually followed by a "Well Grammy said, you and your brother used to play Atari all the time." 

Yup, my kids play Minecraft as well.  I set up a server for them so they play with their cousins in Nor. Cal and in Texas.

As for this Clash of Clans thing, my kids set me up last night but looks like I have a few days of protection or shield or something.  All I know is I'm building stuff right now, kind of boring.  My kids insist it will get better in a few days.  Don't think I can join a clan until then?  Not sure.

MARQTTE

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 11:11:25 AM »
Yup, my kids play Minecraft as well.  I set up a server for them so they play with their cousins in Nor. Cal and in Texas.

As for this Clash of Clans thing, my kids set me up last night but looks like I have a few days of protection or shield or something.  All I know is I'm building stuff right now, kind of boring.  My kids insist it will get better in a few days.  Don't think I can join a clan until then?  Not sure.

Correct, you have do upgrades to your town hall and storages so you can afford the 40,000 in gold needed to fix your clan castle.  Without a rebuilt clan castle, you can't join a clan.
1993 MU Engineering Grad

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 11:17:32 AM »
Are you sure about that "especially during clan wars" bit?  Maybe I'm getting the terminology wrong, but I thought clan wars have only been going on for about 10 days now.   It seems as if there are two troop donation "banks" .. the clan castle and the war troops.  I would think if your castle troops were triggered, it wouldn't affect your war troop bank, even during a defense.  No?

Otherwise .. good tips, hadn't thought about some of that.

You are correct that there are two troop donation "banks".  The ones donated to you on the war screen end up playing defense for you during the clan war.  Then you can still request for troops from your clan castle on your normal village screen and use those troops on the attack if you want.  Either way, having your clan castle somewhere where they can't easily bait your units out and destroy them is for the best.  I actually should change my town up a little bit to reflect that suggestion...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 11:24:28 AM »
As for this Clash of Clans thing, my kids set me up last night but looks like I have a few days of protection or shield or something.  All I know is I'm building stuff right now, kind of boring.  My kids insist it will get better in a few days.  Don't think I can join a clan until then?  Not sure.

Yeah, the first few days are a bit tedious.   Having a 3rd or 4th builder at that point helps you get a running start.

As for joining a clan .. honestly, being in a clan is nothing special.  Ok, you occasionally get some troops donated from your mates, and you donate to them as well (some do, most do not.)  And, oh golly, you get to send stupid chat messages to clanmates .. big whoopdidoo.

The clan wars are .. mildly interesting, but a small facet of the game .. they've tacked it on only in the past couple weeks.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2014, 11:29:12 AM »
You are correct that there are two troop donation "banks".  The ones donated to you on the war screen end up playing defense for you during the clan war.  Then you can still request for troops from your clan castle on your normal village screen and use those troops on the attack if you want.  Either way, having your clan castle somewhere where they can't easily bait your units out and destroy them is for the best.  I actually should change my town up a little bit to reflect that suggestion...

Exactly.  There's only way for a TH9 or lower to defend against the seemingly indefensible "hog/heal" attack, and that's to have castle troops that won't be baited & killed before the attack is launched.  Once you get that third X-bow and the inferno towers at TH10, put your castle wherever you'd like.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 11:48:57 AM »
Yeah, the first few days are a bit tedious.   Having a 3rd or 4th builder at that point helps you get a running start.

As for joining a clan .. honestly, being in a clan is nothing special.  Ok, you occasionally get some troops donated from your mates, and you donate to them as well (some do, most do not.)  And, oh golly, you get to send stupid chat messages to clanmates .. big whoopdidoo.

The clan wars are .. mildly interesting, but a small facet of the game .. they've tacked it on only in the past couple weeks.

Being in a good clan can be worth up to 800,000 gold/elixir in clan war "loot" every two days.  Not being in a clan at all makes your village much more attractive to would-be attackers (who know there aren't any defenses in your castle).  Even if you start your own clan and don't invite anyone, there's a benefit to having a clan shield on your castle to ward off the borderline attackers - particularly farmers - because those are the guys who will raid your resources and bolt before 39% damage (meaning you're not left with a shield and can be attacked by another farmer right away).

As to the chat thing... don't join a clan full of kids, and you won't have a problem.  It's funny to watch how many people join our clan, try to strike up an "a/s/l" conversation with people, and leave less than 5 minutes later because nobody wants to talk to them.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 01:23:12 PM »
Being in a good clan can be worth up to 800,000 gold/elixir in clan war "loot" every two days. 

Whoa.  I've only completed one clan war, and the loot was 44,000.  I suppose you are way higher level, maybe that's why your loot is 20x that example.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 01:25:28 PM »
Couldnt get into it. Still have it on my phone but I kinda stopped once I got my town hall up to level 5.

MARQTTE

• Walk-On
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 01:36:55 PM »
Your loot from your clan war depends on two things:
1. If you win, you get all the loot.  If you lose, you only get 10-20%
2. Who you attach during the clan war.  If you attack easy lower level villages, you don't get much.  But if you attack higher level, you get much more loot.

The key to winning a clan war is clan participation and don't attack anyone at your level or higher unless you are pretty darn sure you can beat him.
1993 MU Engineering Grad

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »
any of y'all dorks wanna play farmville 2 while you're at it?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2014, 11:09:33 PM »
Guys playing this are the same dudes watching game of thrones and breaking bread.

Fun life! Whatever floats your boat. Do you guys pay for any of this? Do people in general?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 02:28:12 AM »
Guys playing this are the same dudes watching game of thrones and breaking bread.

Fun life! Whatever floats your boat. Do you guys pay for any of this? Do people in general?

Got any better ideas of things to do while on the can?!
SS Marquette

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2014, 07:31:54 AM »
Got any better ideas of things to do while on the can?!

Spider Solitaire.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2014, 08:55:38 AM »
Spider Solitaire.

You bringing your desktop into the crapter?

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2014, 10:06:36 AM »

Being in a clan definitely puts you at a advantage over non-clan players.  No defense troops available without the clan castle and you get an extra ~10% or so troop capacity to deploy for attacks.  Not to mention these can be upgraded troops donated from higher clan members.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
Being in a clan definitely puts you at a advantage over non-clan players.  No defense troops available without the clan castle and you get an extra ~10% or so troop capacity to deploy for attacks.  Not to mention these can be upgraded troops donated from higher clan members.

Those are known.  Having 15 extra troops (usually B's or A's) never tipped the balance for me, offensively or defensively. 

The MARQTTE clan is nicer, no doubt, so maybe my view of clans are changing..  it's certainly more interesting being in that clan than with a bunch of random people, many of whom rarely play anyhow.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »

I think you're confusing Clash of Clans with World of Warcraft... whereas WoW required several hours/day in order to do anything meaningful, the "cooldown" timers in CoC effectively prevent you from playing it for more than 5-10 minutes at a time (although you could, but you'd just be watching timers 95% of the time - or you want to "buy" time with real $$$, which some but not all players do).  Plus, there's no fantasy or RPG component to CoC; so rest assured that no one's getting dressed up in costumes to play the game (you'd spend more time getting dressed than you would playing).... it's really geared towards casual gameplay.

The game's developers - by luck or design - put together a game that could be played just a few minutes at a time with an evolving gameplay/strategy that makes the game more enjoyable and appealing to gamers internationally of all genders, ages and types (beginners to hardcore gamers).  Not even Super Mario Brothers or Zelda had that kind of universal appeal.

Now if video games aren't your thing, then obviously, you're better off sticking to your Weather Channel and horoscope apps.  But like most warm-blooded GenX males, I grew up playing video games and still enjoy them.  Not to mention, I spend 2-3x more time on Scoop than I do CoC, and I've never seen Game of Thrones... evidently there are dragons that are coming (but haven't yet arrived) and penises being waved around all over the place.

The "fun" life must be the one where you don't have 10 minutes a day to waste on something that's entertaining.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »
OK, game at least got a little fun.  Looks like I'm pulling up the rear in this thing, chasing Reinko. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2014, 09:20:41 PM »
So just to clarify - if you want to join my clan, or any clan for that matter, you have to search the clan name, click on it, and request to join. To search a clan, click on your clan castle, click on the clan icon, and then click on the Search clan tab:

Clans can be of three different types:
closed: meaning not taking new clan members
anyone can join: just like it sounds
invite only: meaning you have to request to join.  leaders and elders can accept these requests

Alright, I am going to try and request to join, but I have to fork over the 40k first I guess.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2014, 09:14:58 AM »
OK, game at least got a little fun.  Looks like I'm pulling up the rear in this thing, chasing Reinko. 

Addict.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2014, 11:05:53 AM »
how do I join this fookin clan?  ZFB is my name.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »
Search the clans for "MARQTTE" and then request to join. 

It's a good group, way more fun than playing with random people.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2014, 11:33:44 AM »
Search the clans for "MARQTTE" and then request to join. 

It's a good group, way more fun than playing with random people.

I found the group, just don't know how to request to join.  do I have to build a certain amount of $hit first?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2014, 11:51:25 AM »
I found the group, just don't know how to request to join.  do I have to build a certain amount of $hit first?

Took me awhile to figure it out, but you have to rebuild your castle initially, however much that is, then you can request to join a clan.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2014, 03:58:44 PM »

It's my "game" while on the "throne".
SS Marquette

feedback