[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bourbon  (Read 62288 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 03:24:51 PM »
You are partially correct that it needs to be made in Kentucky to be considered "bourbon". The other component is the combination/concentration of ingredients that go into making the whiskey and the method of aging that define it as bourbon. Jack Daniels has a concentration and process that is almost identical to the process of making bourbon (minus the charcoal filtering) and could probably be considered as "bourbon" but because of the filtering and their desire to differentiate themselves from the market they are billed as "Tennessee Whiskey".

It doesn't have to be made in Kentucky.

DavidDiggsDawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »
It doesn't have to be made in Kentucky.

Sorry, I corrected my comments.
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 03:44:13 PM »
EDITED:
Conventional thinking is that it needs to be made in Kentucky to be considered "bourbon". Most people still subscribe to this theory and will not consider it Bourbon unless it is distilled in KY. The component others use to determine if it is Bourbon is the combination/concentration of ingredients that go into making the whiskey and the method of aging that define it as bourbon. Jack Daniels has a concentration and process that is almost identical to the process of making bourbon (minus the charcoal filtering) and could probably be considered as "bourbon" but because of the filtering and their desire to differentiate themselves from the market they are billed as "Tennessee Whiskey". The Whiskey Boom has resulted in a lot of gray lines developing. B&E, which is distilled in KY but brought to CA for bottling. It is still considered a bourbon, but some purists may not agree.

The key difference with JD is the charcoal filtering. Some claim this smoothens the liquor while others say it bruises it. either way I have never cared for JD.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 08:13:15 AM »
Well I recommend Woodford Reserve for smoothness and easily thinking you can handle just one more.

Right this second I'm at the downtown MKE Hilton swilling Booker in a snifter glass.  Pretty damn good on Easter weekend.  

Cabin Creek is a budget friendly friend as well.

I had a bump of Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select last night.  Wow.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 08:23:53 AM »
Ray's in tosa will order you whatever you want generally if you are in MKE.  I've had them get me beer that they don't normally carry.  Just say that you are interested in something and that you would buy a bottle and they will usually get a case for the shelves, I've also done that with tequila at discount liquor over on Oklahoma.  Get to avoid the shipping  ;)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 12:29:33 PM »
Ray's in tosa will order you whatever you want generally if you are in MKE.  I've had them get me beer that they don't normally carry.  Just say that you are interested in something and that you would buy a bottle and they will usually get a case for the shelves, I've also done that with tequila at discount liquor over on Oklahoma.  Get to avoid the shipping  ;)

Love that place like none other.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »
OK, if you post in this thread maybe this website is designed for you
http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/booze

my results
Your Score: 92%

Your level: DRUNKARD

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 01:34:43 PM »
OK, if you post in this thread maybe this website is designed for you
http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/booze

my results

100%

That quiz is really easy for anyone who's gone to bartending school.  Give us a challenge.  

Maigh Eo for Sam

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 01:41:20 PM »
While I enjoy both Scotch Whisky and Bourbon, one reason I prefer single malts is knowing from where (and when) it came.  That said, Black Maple Hill Bourbon is a staple in my cabinet despite what you'll read here

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2012/7/13/the-story-of-black-maple-hill.html

"The truth is that Black Maple Hill is neither a distillery nor a place of origin. It's an independent label owned by my friend Paul Joseph in San Carlos, down the road from our store.  He's got a garage full of other booze too (Murray McDavid, Alchemist, etc.) and every month or so I'll stop by to see what's new.  Paul pays Kentucky Bourbon Distillers (Willett, Vintage 17, Pure Kentucky, Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek, etc.) to make this blend for him and then he slaps the label on it.  So, in reality, Black Maple Hill is a Bourbon that's blended in Kentucky, but owned by a nice man on the San Francisco peninsula."
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:46:43 PM by NYWarrior »

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2014, 01:54:12 PM »
While I enjoy both Scotch Whisky and Bourbon, one reason I prefer single malts is knowing from where (and when) it came.  That said, Black Maple Hill Bourbon is a staple in my cabinet despite what you'll read here

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2012/7/13/the-story-of-black-maple-hill.html

"The truth is that Black Maple Hill is neither a distillery nor a place of origin. It's an independent label owned by my friend Paul Joseph in San Carlos, down the road from our store.  He's got a garage full of other booze too (Murray McDavid, Alchemist, etc.) and every month or so I'll stop by to see what's new.  Paul pays Kentucky Bourbon Distillers (Willett, Vintage 17, Pure Kentucky, Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek, etc.) to make this blend for him and then he slaps the label on it.  So, in reality, Black Maple Hill is a Bourbon that's blended in Kentucky, but owned by a nice man on the San Francisco peninsula."

That's an interesting read on BMH, I've yet to try it, but I've only heard great reviews.  Where did you pick your bottle up?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2014, 03:26:52 PM »
That's an interesting read on BMH, I've yet to try it, but I've only heard great reviews.  Where did you pick your bottle up?

In NY at several places in the city (Drink on 2nd Ave but that closed relatively recently), up in Westchester, and beyond (Wineology in Pawling, and a place in Mt Kisco).  In the Chicago area at Prestige locations and Binny's at one point (have had more luck at Prestige locations though).  FWIW it is very good; probably my favorite Bourbon.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2014, 03:37:59 PM »
100%

That quiz is really easy for anyone who's gone to bartending school.  Give us a challenge.  

+1, if by "bartending school," you also include being schooled at the bar.  100%.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

DavidDiggsDawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »

I got a bottle of BMH at Discount Liquor about two weeks after PVW finally came out last year.

I have asked at several Liquor stores in the area, and Elmer T. Lee is unavailable for any stores to get right now, which is why I went the online route to get a bottle.

Bourbon hunting is fun, isnt it?
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.

DavidDiggsDawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2014, 10:39:25 PM »
Life is good! These just showed up at my door today after a very long work week!

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 08:42:41 AM »
Life is good! These just showed up at my door today after a very long work week!

I'm a big fan; very nice.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 10:02:47 AM »
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/were-drinking-through-whiskey-supplies-faster-distillers-can-make-more-180951390/?no-ist
Bourbon lovers, you'd better stock up. A day of reckoning is quickly approaching, warns Buffalo Trace, one of the oldest distilleries in the country. A whiskey shortage may soon be upon us.

While bourbon producers have seen this problem coming for more than a year, its impacts are just now beginning to hit the market and will likely only worsen. Here's Buffalo Trace with more on the problem:

Despite the increase in distillation over the past few years, bourbon demand still outpaces supply. The overall bourbon category is experiencing 5% growth, but premium brands are up nearly 20% from last year. Bourbon must be matured in new oak barrels and Buffalo Trace ages many of its barrels for eight to ten years, and some over two decades. That’s a long time to wait for a bottle of bourbon. Not to mention, with the amount of bourbon lost to evaporation over time, barrels are half empty after ten years. The increase in sales, coupled with the aging process and evaporation loss, leads to a shortage with no end in sight.

A shortage of wood necessary to create whiskey barrels, the Spirits Business adds, also seems to be exacerbating the problem.

As Esquire points out, this surge in demand ultimately reflects a change of societal taste. "Ten years ago everybody drank vodka, and Scotch was something you kept around for when your dad visited," Esquire writes. "Now, whiskey of all kinds has become a fetish object of the young, urban, and image-conscious." Sales data show that most coveted whiskey of all is now the high-end, decade-plus aged varieties. Unfortunately, whiskey brewers preparing today's stocks 10 or more years ago did not see that coming. 

In other words, now might be a good time to get into gin.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2014, 11:17:31 AM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2014, 11:28:33 AM »
Heard Three Roses is the bomb.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »
Heard Three Roses is the bomb.

You mean Four Roses? I have a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch and it's very nice. It's not terribly complex, a little sweet, but very smooth. I recommend it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 12:35:23 PM »
You mean Four Roses? I have a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch and it's very nice. It's not terribly complex, a little sweet, but very smooth. I recommend it.

Yeah thats it!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2014, 03:27:28 PM »
For now, Wild Turkey and Old Forester are great. Used to drink Ten High back in the day when in Nam. About $1.50 a quart back then. Could not beat the price.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 03:33:14 PM »
Deadspin drops some 411 on the 'brown stuff'

http://deadspin.com/get-to-know-the-brown-stuff-a-little-better-1566537843

Read all the way to the bottom.  This is, for all intents and purposes, a paid advertisement for Knob Creek.
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
Read all the way to the bottom.  This is, for all intents and purposes, a paid advertisement for Knob Creek.

FWIW Knob Creek is fantastic.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2014, 10:45:09 PM »
Used to be a big bourbon on the rocks guy but lately it has been Manhattans.  Since I'm mixing I stick with Maker's or Four Roses.  Used to be more of a Knob guy.  Woodford on occasion.  Basil on those really nice occasions.  I do have a handle of Beam in the cabinet as I'm wondering if this Manhattan kick stays, maybe the more economical bourbon will suffice.  Thoughts?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart