collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Stephen Colbert to host The Late Show  (Read 12547 times)

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
Stephen Colbert to host The Late Show
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:29:51 AM »
Colbert has been named to replace Letterman.

It will be interesting to see if his smug personality and having to play himself instead of a satarized character will last more than a few years.

http://nypost.com/2014/04/10/stephen-colbert-to-replace-letterman-on-late-show/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Stephen Colbert to host The Late Show
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 11:34:57 AM »
instead of a satarized character

Satirized or Satyrized?

Death on call

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »
It will be interesting with the guests.  I'm sure many don't even understand his shtick, so the interaction will be interesting.  You do bring up a valid point.  Will he maintain what has gotten himself so far?  Is late night even the forum for a politicized show like his?  What tweaks will he make?  And most importantly, will they take Craig Ferguson off the air and replace him with Jon Stewart?  That would be great.  

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »
It will be interesting with the guests.  I'm sure many don't even understand his shtick, so the interaction will be interesting.  You do bring up a valid point.  Will he maintain what has gotten himself so far?  Is late night even the forum for a politicized show like his?  What tweaks will he make?  And most importantly, will they take Craig Ferguson off the air and replace him with Jon Stewart?  That would be great.  

According to The Post, Ferguson is going to do alright for himself.
http://nypost.com/2014/04/04/craig-ferguson-will-make-a-killing-off-david-lettermans-empty-chair/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

As for beating the liberal drum, Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers have already paraded around Joe Biden, Michelle Obama, Chelsea Clinton. Your move, Colbert.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:00:17 PM »
http://nypost.com/2014/04/04/craig-ferguson-will-make-a-killing-off-david-lettermans-empty-chair/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

As for beating the liberal drum, Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers have already paraded around Joe Biden, Michelle Obama, Chelsea Clinton. Your move, Colbert.

Stewart and Colbert are liberal but I think Colbert will keep in in check for the late show.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 12:01:48 PM »
Stewart and Colbert are liberal but I think Colbert will keep in in check for the late show.

You are hilarious.
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/cbs-hires-reality-has-well-known-liberal-bias-colbert-replace-letterman

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 12:02:41 PM »
One lib for another lib

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 12:06:42 PM »
One lib for another lib

Do any conservatives have a decent sense of humor?  I can't think of one that would even come close to filling the big shoes of Letterman. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 12:08:40 PM »
One lib for another lib

Again, not seeing a problem here.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 12:09:39 PM »
Colbert's conservatism is shtick.   What amazes me is the people who don't realize it.   Funny conservatives?  Does Dennis Miller count?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 12:14:15 PM »
Colbert's conservatism is shtick.   What amazes me is the people who don't realize it.   Funny conservatives?  Does Dennis Miller count?

He stopped being funny in the 90s

Colbert is a perfect fit.  I seriously doubt that he will be the character on 'Late Night' that he is with his own show.  I'm guessing that the format will be very similar to what Letterman is doing with his own bits.  It won't be the same format as "The Report".

As for him being a liberal, I'm not sure it matters... the late night shows aren't particularly political.  Sure there are political jokes, but I'm not sure that anyone is immune to satire.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 12:15:08 PM »

Dennis Miller is washed up and has been reduced to a radio show that has demographics of 50 years +.  He had his chance at a primetime show and blew it.  

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 12:16:53 PM »
He stopped being funny in the 90s

Colbert is a perfect fit.  I seriously doubt that he will be the character on 'Late Night' that he is with his own show.  I'm guessing that the format will be very similar to what Letterman is doing with his own bits.  It won't be the same format as "The Report".

As for him being a liberal, I'm not sure it matters... the late night shows aren't particularly political.  Sure there are political jokes, but I'm not sure that anyone is immune to satire.

This. If people are really that upset about Colbert being a liberal then go watch Fox News. The Late Show isnt  a political show.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »
Libertarians make great comics. Their lack of loyalty to a political party is apparent when taking swipes at everybody. Adam Carolla, Gavin McInnes, Penn Jillette, Greg Gutfeld, Trey Parker & Matt Stone. I much prefer the individuality of their opinions as opposed to the rank and file taking marching order.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »
Dennis Miller is washed up and has been reduced to a radio show that has demographics of 50 years +.  He had his chance at a primetime show and blew it.  

If they wanted to skew conservative, Adam Corolla would be a decent fit.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 12:18:33 PM »
Do any conservatives have a decent sense of humor?  I can't think of one that would even come close to filling the big shoes of Letterman. 

Dennis Miller.
Have some patience, FFS.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 12:21:15 PM »
Libertarians make great comics. Their lack of loyalty to a political party is apparent when taking swipes at everybody. Adam Carolla, Gavin McInnes, Penn Jillette, Greg Gutfeld, Trey Parker & Matt Stone. I much prefer the individuality of their opinions as opposed to the rank and file taking marching order.

Greg Gutfeld?  That guy isn't funny at all.  

I'm not sure why people are even playing the liberal card.  Letterman poked fun at both parties.  Was it the constant jokes about Sarah Palin that ruffles your feathers?  Or when he would call out Bill O'reilly?  

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 12:24:13 PM »

Carolla does snot fit a left/right paradigm. His stances on limited government, abortion, drug legalization, and gay marriage among other topics has not changed much over the last 20 years. The country has gradually skewed left in that time frame.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:31:57 PM by Blue Horseshoe »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 12:25:53 PM »
Carolla doe snot fit a left/right paradigm. His stances on limited government, abortion, drug legalization, and gay marriage among other topics has not changed much over the last 20 years. The country has gradually skewed left in that time frame.

I can't agree.  The country is still center leaning right.  Check back in a decade though, that will change.

doe snot.  lol :)

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 12:26:40 PM »

He couldn't carry the Man Show when Kimmel left.  Plus, he's stated that he's not a guy who's gung ho on being a tireless worker in order to get a big time show.  He's comfortable with where he's at.  Funny guy, but doesn't seem like the type to have the "big chair".  

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »
I can't agree.  The country is still center leaning right.  Check back in a decade though, that will change.

doe snot.  lol :)

Yup. The GOP is gonna be in a world of hurt unless they become more moderate as a whole.

brandx

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 12:29:58 PM »

Meaningless remark. Just as Leno and Letterman have paraded around Bush, McCain, Laura Bush, Nancy Reagan, etc.

brandx

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 12:31:09 PM »

Depends. Do the 1980's count?

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »

True, Gutfeld is less of a comic and more of a TV personality (among other jobs). I still prefer Red Eye to other newstainment shows with political overtones. Great guests of varying political affiliation on the panel make the show. It should also be noted that the show airs at 3 am on the east coast does well in the ratings.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 12:31:57 PM »

I'm not sure why people are even playing the liberal card.  Letterman poked fun at both parties.  Was it the constant jokes about Sarah Palin that ruffles your feathers?  Or when he would call out Bill O'reilly?  
Probably too cerebral for you.