[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Stephen Colbert to host The Late Show  (Read 12546 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Stephen Colbert to host The Late Show
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2014, 04:07:13 PM »
The only people I knew who took the Colbert Report as news were my conservative friends who didn't realize it was satire.

I'm talking about as a trusted news source...in other words, a bunch of people are getting their news only through that filter.  It is what it is, no matter where you get it, there is a filter, some more pronounced than others.

Uncle Walter said it best 

"Of course the media is liberal"
-Walter Cronkite

I have no reason not to believe Uncle Walter.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »
He couldn't carry the Man Show when Kimmel left.  Plus, he's stated that he's not a guy who's gung ho on being a tireless worker in order to get a big time show.  He's comfortable with where he's at.  Funny guy, but doesn't seem like the type to have the "big chair".  

Adam Corolla's book, "In Fifty Years We'll All be Chicks" may be the funniest thing I have ever read.  I was laughing out loud constantly while reading that book, which I don't recall ever doing while reading a book.  Skip "Not Taco Bell Material," however, which is as unfunny as "In Fifty Years..." is funny.

I find conservative politicians have a much better sense of humor about themselves than do liberals.  Whoever said that there is a real lack of funny conservative comedians is right, though.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2014, 04:27:24 PM »
I find conservative politicians have a much better sense of humor about themselves than do liberals. 

Lorne Michaels agrees with you.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/lorne-michaels-gop-takes-joke-better-article-1.1600335

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2014, 04:38:06 PM »
The only people I knew who took the Colbert Report as news were my conservative friends who didn't realize it was satire.

I don't understand how anyone can watch Colbert and take it as news.  Whether your Republican or Democrat there isn't a hint of news ever on that show.

The only news shown is the ridiculous clips they dig up of Fox.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2014, 04:40:33 PM »
I don't understand how anyone can watch Colbert and take it as news.  Whether your Republican or Democrat there isn't a hint of news ever on that show.

The only news shown is the ridiculous clips they dig up of Fox.

The same people that take the Onion seriously .......  people who have no clue and lack intelligence, unfortunately. 

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2014, 05:04:41 PM »
The same people that take the Onion seriously .......  people who have no clue and lack intelligence, unfortunately. 

I honestly don't think these people exist.  People that uneducated wouldn't be interested in either.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2014, 05:06:23 PM »
I honestly don't think these people exist.  People that uneducated wouldn't be interested in either.

Yeah, you'd think, wouldn't you?

http://literallyunbelievable.org/

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2014, 05:11:48 PM »
Yeah, you'd think, wouldn't you?

http://literallyunbelievable.org/

I will never forget the house that we lived in, in college.  My buddies mom came over, and I had taped an Onion article on the fridge for all of the roommates to read.  The article read "Shotgun Blast to Abdomen, Just Pisses off Wilford Brimley More.  She looked at it very quizzically, and stated ... I didn't know Wilford Brimley was shot! 

http://www.theonion.com/articles/shotgun-blast-to-abdomen-just-pisses-wilford-briml,9512/

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2014, 05:30:06 PM »
This should have been posted earlier. Classic.

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=15243552&amp;amp" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=15243552&amp;amp</a>

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2014, 05:37:03 PM »
This should have been posted earlier. Classic.

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=15243552&amp;amp" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=15243552&amp;amp</a>

uhhhhhhh......Got any gum?   

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2014, 05:43:55 PM »
I saw a band named "Got Any Gum?" at a bar in Milwaukee in 1983.  Still one of my all-time favorite band names
Have some patience, FFS.

mechaghidorah

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2014, 05:51:06 PM »
This. If people are really that upset about Colbert being a liberal then go watch Fox News. The Late Show isnt  a political show.

Actually, it became one when Letterman went after President Bush night after night and now ignores Obama. 

And The Late Late Show got harshly political when Craig Kilborn flashed a picture of Pres Bush with the caption "Sniper Wanted."  Think that would ever happen with Obama?  To claim that these shows aren't political is ridiculous.

The reason Leno clobbered Letterman in the ratings is that he actually made fun of both sides.  And Colbert is probably even more to the Left than Dave, so CBS is pretty much writing off 45-50% of the country.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2014, 05:52:44 PM »
Actually, it became one when Letterman went after President Bush night after night and now ignores Obama. 

And The Late Late Show got harshly political when Craig Kilborn flashed a picture of Pres Bush with the caption "Sniper Wanted."  Think that would ever happen with Obama?  To claim that these shows aren't political is ridiculous.

The reason Leno clobbered Letterman in the ratings is that he actually made fun of both sides.  And Colbert is probably even more to the Left than Dave, so CBS is pretty much writing off 45-50% of the country.

Lmao.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2014, 05:56:11 PM »

LMAO!!!  Sooo wrong .......  Letterman had tons of jokes about the healthcare website.  I've heard him go after Obama before.  As far as going after Bush..... how could you not?  The guy was an idiot and provided tons of material for comedians with the horrible speeches he would give and all of the gaffes.  

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2014, 06:04:56 PM »
In before the lock!

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2014, 06:31:46 PM »
It is ironic that the best political sketches during the '08 election cycle were written by Jim Downey. The guy is one of the most important figures in the history of SNL, and former head writer for Letterman at Late Night. Trying to be funny

http://splitsider.com/2014/03/saturday-nights-children-jim-downey-1979-1980/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 06:33:50 PM by Blue Horseshoe »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2014, 06:45:16 PM »

And how many Bill Clinton jokes did Dave do and still does.

brandx

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2014, 06:47:52 PM »
And how many Bill Clinton jokes did Dave do and still does.

Fox forgot to tell him that - so how would he know ?-(

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2014, 07:26:08 PM »
I'm proud of what Greg has accomplished with RE. Happy to have been involved early on.

Colbert is a liberal weenie - perfect fit for the masses.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mechaghidorah

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2014, 09:35:27 PM »
LMAO!!!  Sooo wrong .......  Letterman had tons of jokes about the healthcare website.  I've heard him go after Obama before.  As far as going after Bush..... how could you not?  The guy was an idiot and provided tons of material for comedians with the horrible speeches he would give and all of the gaffes.  

Yeah, jokes about a website.  Letterman never goes after Obamacare, which Leno did quite often.

Compare that with the personal attacks on Bush, or the personal attacks on Sarah Palin and her daughter.  

And it's amusing how liberals always reference Fox News when they have ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, Wash Post, NY Times, LA Times, Chicago Tribune and the entire entertainment industry/culture on their side and at their disposal.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:37:09 PM by mechaghidorah »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2014, 09:37:31 PM »
Yeah, jokes about a website.  

Compare that with the personal attacks on Bush, or the personal attacks on Sarah Palin and her daughter.  

And it's amusing how liberals always reference Fox News when they have ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, Wash Post, NY Times, LA Times, Chicago Tribune and the entire entertainment industry/culture on their side and at their disposal.

Shows how much you know...The trib is generally more conservative. This may be the time for the mods to lock it down. You took this way too seriously. Stop trying to fill a personal agenda.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:42:51 PM by chitownwarrior2011 »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2014, 09:41:56 PM »
Yeah, jokes about a website.  Letterman never goes after Obamacare, which Leno did quite often.

+1 Chromosome

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2014, 10:22:55 PM »

You're missing what other comedians claimed.  Sure you can make fun of Obamacare, how on earth can you not for that disaster.  

In the past, comedians attacked the man himself....the man in the office.  You can't do that anymore, which was exactly Dana Carvey's point and those of others.  It is not allowed, by comedians, journalists, etc.

I'm actually looking forward to 2016 to see the rise in employment in this country, as the 8 year hiatus of journalists will end.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:13:04 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2014, 10:25:59 PM »
You're missing what other comedians claimed.  Sure you can make fun of Obamacare, how on earth can you not for that disaster. 

In the past, comedians attacked the man himself....the man in the office.  You can't do that anymore, which was exactly Dana Carvey's point and those of others.  It is not allowed, by comedians, journalists, etc.

I'm actually looking forward to 2016 to see the rise in unemployment in this country, as the 8 year hiatus of journalists will end.

Give it a rest already...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2014, 10:27:34 PM »
Shows how much you know...The trib is generally more conservative. This may be the time for the mods to lock it down. You took this way too seriously. Stop trying to fill a personal agenda.

The Trib has "conservative" owner, same owner as the LA Times.  No one on planet earth would say the Times is conservative.  My former boss was the President of the LA Times until about 6 months ago, she's now #3 at Sirius XM radio.  It has had an editorial policy that was more conservative, but it also endorsed Obama in 2008 and 2012. 

Please, let's just stop with this.  NY Times, ABC, NBC, PBS, CBS, MSNBC, etc, etc....survey after survey, study after study.  Arguing it is foolish.  NY Times has endorsed a Republican one time in its history...Ike.  Post...nope. 

feedback