[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Badger hate  (Read 27330 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Badger hate
« on: April 06, 2014, 06:30:20 AM »
Question for everybody because it's something that came up with my Wisconsin born wife last night. I explained to her that I found this Wisconsin team very easy to like. They weren't the stereotypical deliberate Badger team. They could shoot, run, defend. Just a great team. And I've said before, I actually like Bo Ryan and the story about his Dad added to that.

So why was I rooting for Kentucky, who I generally loathe? For me it's the Badger fans. They are the absolute worst. Entitled, even though they're a bit of a Johnny come lately as far as basketball (and football) success. It was weird, I felt bad for Badger players because they played great, but I was thrilled the fans weren't rewarded.

So, is it their fans for everybody? Or is it ingrained in Wisconsin residents?

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
Re: Badger hate
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 06:50:58 AM »
It's just the rivalry.  Same as it would for rivalries in other sports.  You just don't want your rival to win. It's a little different here even because the rival is in the same state, where as in pro sports they usually aren't, so if that team wins you don't have to hear about it as much.
It is a bit different sometimes with the big state school.  Sure, the UW fans seem annoying to us, but they aren't more annoying that other state school fans.  I lived in Iowa for a short time and it was just as bad.
I guess if we can't be happy the people around us shouldn't be either..... ya doesn't make sense but it's always been that way and it's not about to change.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:52:15 AM »
I'm not from Wisconsin and don't live there now.   When I was at MU, the Wisconsin game was always one that took place when I was on winter break.  The Badgers were a non-entity.    They sucked, but they were just another game.     I was much more concerned about ND, DePaul, and Dayton.   My wife's maternal side of the family is from Wisconsin and she has several cousins who matriculated at Madison.   They have never given me a second of grief about going to MU.    Good people.    Bo is a heck of a coach.    My dislike of Wisconsin comes from the Badger fanbase.   100%.    So much that it made me do something I have never done, and that was to root for Calipari and Kentucky.   I felt unclean, but I just couldn't root for the Badgers.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 06:54:54 AM »
The Badgers and Notre Dame are kind of like the Red Sox to me.  I always root for them to lose regardless of the circumstances.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 07:04:32 AM »
Was raised to hate UW and for most of my life I really hated them. IMO we are not rivals anywhere to the same level as years ago and my hatred was grown softer over the years. Hate to say it with all of their athletic success, media coverage and statewide support I am almost a tad jealous.

That said, I was fxxking jacked they lost yesterday. Actually seeing them make FF help edge some of my hate back.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 07:07:25 AM »
i really really didn't want to see the ncaa's nba developmental squad make it to the finals...GO UCONN!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:26:06 AM »
i really really didn't want to see the ncaa's nba developmental squad make it to the finals...GO UCONN!!

+1. Calipari is dirty.  Went to MU from AZ as a high school senior and never had any issues with UW or its fan base.  Took a great shot to beat them. Go UConn

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 07:33:12 AM »

Same here. The opponent made it easier to pull for the Badgers. From Illinois so no inbred hatred for UW.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 07:49:22 AM »
As other posters have said, it's easy to like this Wisconsin team. Talented, well-coached and interesting to watch.

I even picked Wisconsin to win the game.

But when I sat down to watch it, I simply couldn't root for Bucky and, by the end, was actively pulling for Kentucky.

On a similar note, I was in Vegas the previous weekend and went to the window intending to bet on Bucky to cover vs. Baylor. But when I got there, I just couldn't do it, so I threw a few bucks at Baylor. Money down the toilet, but at least I didn't have to root for Bucky!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 07:51:30 AM »
I'm not from Wisconsin and don't live there now.   When I was at MU, the Wisconsin game was always one that took place when I was on winter break.  The Badgers were a non-entity.    They sucked, but they were just another game.     I was much more concerned about ND, DePaul, and Dayton.   My wife's maternal side of the family is from Wisconsin and she has several cousins who matriculated at Madison.   They have never given me a second of grief about going to MU.    Good people.    Bo is a heck of a coach.    My dislike of Wisconsin comes from the Badger fanbase.   100%.    So much that it made me do something I have never done, and that was to root for Calipari and Kentucky.   I felt unclean, but I just couldn't root for the Badgers.  

Pretty much the same (same era grad as tower) except I'd say for me it has been less the badger fan base and more being influenced by this board over time.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 07:51:52 AM »
I always root for Wisco except when they play Marquette. I bleed MU. So, let's get back WARRIORS!

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 07:52:21 AM »
My hate runs deep, I see red when I see red. I don't even see their team as human, just an enemy that needs to be destroyed at any cost and its because of their fans. They are insufferable and I rejoice every time they feel any kind of pain.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 07:55:40 AM »
I'm a Bears fan who spends a lot of time in Mke and N. Wisconsin. I listen to enough crap from my Packer fan friends, and they're all Bucky fans, so it's easy to cheer against Wisconsin.  Although my cheering for Kentucky was tepid at best. I needed a shower after the game.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:13:51 AM by mr.MUskie »

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 08:07:49 AM »
Have felt the same way on players/fans.  Sat. night was a good one, Bucky loss and Brewer win.  It was quite a scare however, Bucky win and this tem could've beat UConn.  That would have been insufferable for way too many years.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 08:09:05 AM »
OK gang, here' the real reason I dislike Becky.

I grew up in Tennessee of cheesehead parents. My grandfather went to UW. My father was a Warrior (or perhaps a Hilltopper).

I hate Becky because Becky competes for the same fans, the same players and the same media we do. If a young man is considering college in Wisconsin, he can get an education or he can go to Wisconsin. If Becky is more than a one-hit wonder, we're having a tougher time in our own backyard.

That said, Bo Ryan should be coach of the century. What he did with that Becky team this year was something I haven't seen in years! I actually think we have more talent on our roster than Becky does. But Bo got his players to play smart, play within his system and disrupt their opponents. These guys got it and did their job extraordinarily. If Brent had coached this well last year, we'd be playing Monday night. He didn't and that's one reason he is in Rubesville, VA.

Nice job Bo... from an avowed Becky Badger hater! You did very, very well!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 08:10:21 AM »
I was a little sick to my stomach after Jackson got fouled with 15 secs to play.  Probably one of the most amazing shots I've seen on the ensuing play.  Great game.

Oh yeah, I love watching poser Badger fans who came out of the woodwork in droves writhe in the agony of defeat.  Full out schadenfreude here.  Add an extra innings win over the Red Sox on top of it all, it's been a great 12 hours.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »
If Becky is more than a one-hit wonder, we're having a tougher time in our own backyard.

That said, Bo Ryan should be coach of the century. What he did with that Becky team this year was something I haven't seen in years! I actually think we have more talent on our roster than Becky does. But Bo got his players to play smart, play within his system and disrupt their opponents. These guys got it and did their job extraordinarily. If Brent had coached this well last year, we'd be playing Monday night. He didn't and that's one reason he is in Rubesville, VA.

Nice job Bo... from an avowed Becky Badger hater! You did very, very well!

I disagree strongly that Bucky should be a one-hit wonder or that Marquette was more talented this year. If Kaminsky comes back, UW will be a top-5 team next season. Brust is the only senior. Hayes looks like he is going to be a total stud. Dekker is only a soph, Jackson a frosh, and both have great upside.

Buzz had a poor season, we all know that, but Wisconsin was miles better than us in the backcourt. As good as Davante often was, Kaminsky is better at almost everything. And I'd have traded Jamil for Dekker straight-up.

I wish what you said was true, but it's not, IMHO.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 08:19:27 AM »
Pretty much the same (same era grad as tower) except I'd say for me it has been less the badger fan base and more being influenced by this board over time.

Ditto me too.

When I went to MU (early 80s) Bucky was one of the worst big state school athletic programs in the country.  Our hate was focused on perennial no. 1 DePaul. How times have changed.

Go read Rick Telander's book about Bucky sports.  Things got so bad by 1990 that the athletic department was considering filing for bankruptcy and dropping football.  Then they hired Barry Alverz and he saved the entire school.

So if you're of a certain age, Your formative years were spent watching a non-existent Bucky program so they stir up about as much emotion as UW-Whitewater.

Note, I also do not live in Wisconsin.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 08:22:05 AM »
I disagree strongly that Bucky should be a one-hit wonder or that Marquette was more talented this year. If Kaminsky comes back, UW will be a top-5 team next season. Brust is the only senior. Hayes looks like he is going to be a total stud. Dekker is only a soph, Jackson a frosh, and both have great upside.

Buzz had a poor season, we all know that, but Wisconsin was miles better than us in the backcourt. As good as Davante often was, Kaminsky is better at almost everything. And I'd have traded Jamil for Dekker straight-up.

I wish what you said was true, but it's not, IMHO.

I do think we had more raw talent. I think Jamil, for example, is one of the most talented players we've had in ages. But talent and performance are not equal. We probably had great guards in JJJ and Mayo sitting on the bench most of the year. Bo showed us it's not just what you have but you get with it.

What I think in a nutshell is that Bo got 150% from everyone on his team. If the Hillbilly got 40% from some of his players, I'd be surprised.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 08:25:23 AM »
I think a lot of it is jealousy.  For those of us that live in that state you have this overriding feeling that everyone is comparing Marquette to Wisconsin.  They did have a great year and are really a unique team.  My brain says that I should be happy for them but my heart can't.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 08:25:51 AM »
Guess I never really understood the joy in hatred for another team.  I grew up in Milwaukee, went to MU, and moved to Chicago in the mid 1980s.  My allegiance has never strayed from the teams of my youth including the Packers, WI football, the Brewers, etc.  But unless it affects my teams directly, I'll support the local team.  Why?  Well it all started with the '85 Bears.  That was a special season here in town and I was here to enjoy it with all my friends in Grad school.  Sure they were Giants, 49ers and Eagles fans just as I bled Green and Gold.  But that January we were all Bears fans together.  Beats being miserable and alone.

Congratulations Wisconsin.  Helluva season.  May our beloved Warriors return to a similar level of success very soon.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 08:29:26 AM »
I do think we had more raw talent. I think Jamil, for example, is one of the most talented players we've had in ages. But talent and performance are not equal. We probably had great guards in JJJ and Mayo sitting on the bench most of the year. Bo showed us it's not just what you have but you get with it.

What I think in a nutshell is that Bo got 150% from everyone on his team. If the Hillbilly got 40% from some of his players, I'd be surprised.

OK, we can disagree on some of this stuff. I agree that Bo is a better coach than Buzz, but I disagree that any lineup we could have used last season would have been better than Wisconsin's. At PG and center, the 2 most important positions, it wasn't especially close. And we all know that Jamil was one of the most overrated players in recent Marquette history; it's easy to blame Buzz for not developing him, but Jimmy, Jae and even Lazar and Wes developed pretty well under Buzz. Sometimes, the player has to take responsibility and again, I'd take Dekker over Jamil in a heartbeat.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 08:37:11 AM »
I have questioned myself about why I dislike them so much.  I have several coworkers than I have been friends with for 20 years that are big Badger fans that don't rub in Badger wins or MU losses. I honostly feel bad for them. I will fully admit that this week's hate is based mostly on jealousy.

However, in the big picture, I think it comes down to a few things.

One, it is simply assumed that you are a Badger fan if you live in WI.  I lost count of the number of times someone asked me about rooting for the Badgers and my response was "I went to Marquette".  More than half would have a blank look on their face, as if to say "and.....".

Two, I get so annoyed seeing people wearing Badger gear around town, when I know that I know more about their team than at least 80% of them.  Those aren't actual fans.

Three, see @brewpackred on Twitter. The guy needs serious psychological care.  His "team" is playing in a National Semifinal game and he is still tweeting with the #mubb tag.  During the freaking game!  Any doubt I had in my own mental health by rooting against the Badgers was written off each time I would see his "JC" Twitter name popup.

connie

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 08:50:48 AM »
Ditto me too.

When I went to MU (early 80s) Bucky was one of the worst big state school athletic programs in the country.  Our hate was focused on perennial no. 1 DePaul. How times have changed.

Go read Rick Telander's book about Bucky sports.  Things got so bad by 1990 that the athletic department was considering filing for bankruptcy and dropping football.  Then they hired Barry Alverz and he saved the entire school.

So if you're of a certain age, Your formative years were spent watching a non-existent Bucky program so they stir up about as much emotion as UW-Whitewater.

Note, I also do not live in Wisconsin.
I would actually give the credit to Pat Richter.  That dude did an absolutely phenomenal job in turning a joke into a really strong department.  Having endured the Dukiet years at MU and the Don Morton era (error) at UW I think I have claim to have seen the worst of the worst.  I can root for Bucky in anything but hoops.  I give the program credit for what they have done since they hired Dick Bennett, but cannot stand the fans.  I swear they have an inferiority complex that runs so deep it's ridiculous.  Guys I have to work with constantly dump on MU with no reason other than to dump.  It has to be some form of mental illness.  You have made the tourney 13 straight years--get over it and enjoy your team.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 08:57:23 AM »
Guess I never really understood the joy in hatred for another team.  I grew up in Milwaukee, went to MU, and moved to Chicago in the mid 1980s.  My allegiance has never strayed from the teams of my youth including the Packers, WI football, the Brewers, etc.  But unless it affects my teams directly, I'll support the local team.  Why?  Well it all started with the '85 Bears.  That was a special season here in town and I was here to enjoy it with all my friends in Grad school.  Sure they were Giants, 49ers and Eagles fans just as I bled Green and Gold.  But that January we were all Bears fans together.  Beats being miserable and alone.

Congratulations Wisconsin.  Helluva season.  May our beloved Warriors return to a similar level of success very soon.

I applaud that you can have that attitude. I wish that I could, as life would be happier, but I will never, ever feel that way and don't really understand it.
Growing up a Cubs fan in Chicago was always the ultimate example of split rivalry where you are listening to the other side gloat if it goes their way.  I was always in the camp of "if you're a fan of both, you're a fan of neither."
That said, a lot of my best friends are UW/Pack/WhiteSox fans and if you can't understand that that's what makes sports fun then you are probably letting it ruin your day.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:16:51 AM by RushmoreAcademy »