Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Badger hate  (Read 27329 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Badger hate
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 09:04:37 AM »
The OP nailed it. This actually is a likable team, but UW's fans are perhaps the most intolerable outside of the Domers.

And if you didn't live in Wisconsin during or after the Barry Alvarez/Dick Bennett/Bo Ryan era, you won't understand. Up until the early 90s, UW's athletics were in shambles, along with northwestern, they were the laughingstock of the Big 10. Barry Alvarez and Dick Bennet turned them around into respectability, but their fans do act entitled, like they have been a bastion of perpetual athletic greatness, while pretending MU, who completely dominated them for decades, has none of that tradition. You see the double standard quite often, such as when Badger fans claim we are not a rival  and that we treat their game like our Super Bowl (which we don't... It is a big game but just one of several each year), yet they continually come on our boards and troll, even the night of their final four appearance.

But worst Badger fans are not the ones who went to UW. I can actually respect their degree and obviously understand why they would be a Bucky die hard.  No, the people who are the worst are the Wisconsinites who go to Kmart and load up on Bucky gear, act like alum, teach their kids that UW is the end all be all, and Marquette is the Catholic evil empire, all the while they didn't ever go to college or attending Oshkosh, LaCrosse, Eau Claire, etc. while becoming self proclaimed badger fans. These are the worst badger fans. And the ones who talk the most crap to MU alum, probably some sort of inferiority complex.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:06:32 AM by Bleuteaux »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 09:13:02 AM »
The Badgers and Notre Dame are kind of like the Red Sox cubs to me.  I always root for them to lose regardless of the circumstances.

Fixed it for me.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2014, 09:15:55 AM »
My hate runs deep, I see red when I see red. I don't even see their team as human, just an enemy that needs to be destroyed at any cost and its because of their fans. They are insufferable and I rejoice every time they feel any kind of pain.

Please, Hutch, don't hold back.  Tell us how you really feel.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2014, 09:22:06 AM »
I'm not from Wisconsin and don't live there now.   When I was at MU, the Wisconsin game was always one that took place when I was on winter break.  The Badgers were a non-entity.    They sucked, but they were just another game.     I was much more concerned about ND, DePaul, and Dayton.   My wife's maternal side of the family is from Wisconsin and she has several cousins who matriculated at Madison.   They have never given me a second of grief about going to MU.    Good people.    Bo is a heck of a coach.    My dislike of Wisconsin comes from the Badger fanbase.   100%.    So much that it made me do something I have never done, and that was to root for Calipari and Kentucky.   I felt unclean, but I just couldn't root for the Badgers.  

Ok. I finally have to say something. Do you hit the space bar 5 freaking times or something after every sentence!?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2014, 09:24:50 AM »
There doesn't have to be any logic to it- we're fans, we love our team and hate others, especially those close to us.  Familiarity breeds contempt.  I have some "reasons" I hate UW basketball, none of them are especially provocative, but in the end, it's just part of being a die hard fan.  

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »
I applaud that you can have that attitude. I wish that I could, as life would be happier, but I will never, ever feel that way and don't really understand it.
Growing up a Cubs fan in Chicago was always the ultimate example of split rivalry where you are listening to the other side gloat if it goes their way.  I was always in the camp of "if you're a fan of both, you're a fan of neither."
That said, a lot of my best friends are UW/Pack/Brew fans and if you can't understand that that's what makes sports fun then you are probably letting it ruin your day.

Funny you say all that Rush.  Nothing personal but the team I do dislike are your Cubs.  I was a fan in my early years here in town during the Sandburg, Sarge, Denier run in '84.  But now I pretty much loathe them.  The reason.  They have EVERY advantage in the world and absolutely ZERO results to show for it.  On top of that, Wrigley is an absolute dump.  Why you folks continue to fill the stadium and fail to demand more from the team in return for your hard earned dollars is beyond me.  I'll take that 'try hard smallest market in baseball team' in Milwaukee every time and twice on Sunday.  And I have considerable respect for the Sox who work hard to provide a quality fan experience every year both on the field and at the ballpark.

I will say that my favorite day listening to sports radio in Chicago is the day after the Packers beat the Bears once again.  Listening to Doug Buffone and Ed O'Bradovich complain about how 'unacceptable' it is and why can't the Bears be that good is pure joy for me.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2014, 09:30:38 AM »

I will say that my favorite day listening to sports radio in Chicago is the day after the Packers beat the Bears once again.  Listening to Doug Buffone and Ed O'Bradovich complain about how 'unacceptable' it is and why can't the Bears be that good is pure joy for me.

I'm like a kid at Christmas listening to the Score after a Packer win over the Bears.  I download the podcasts now of O'B and Doug after any win now to make sure I don't miss a minute of it. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2014, 09:43:11 AM »
I never really thought much about the Badgers except as a lesser rival of MU in basketball (lesser in the sense that Notre Dame, Cincy and DePaul were bigger rivals back when I started caring about MU hoops) and I never cared enough to actually dislike them to the point their results against teams other than MU mattered to me.
That is, until I started hanging around these message boards and got to know some of their fanbase, which seems to not only believe their school really is the Harvard of the Midwest, but also invented every major sport, is the only clean program in the nation (despite all those major NCAA violations) and came up with the concept of "jumping around" during a song called "Jump Around." In other words, many of them are insufferable douchebags.
So, I've learned to cheer against Bucky not because of any dislike for Bo Ryan or Barry Alvarez or any particular player, but just to quiet their obnoxious fans, if only for a while.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2014, 09:43:39 AM »
I have enjoyed these post game shows for years now.  I grew up a Packer fan in Northern Illinois and was a sophomore in HS during the Super Bowl Shuffle year.  (That is the way I always refer to it, because if I have to reference that time I will at least name it based on the most embarrassing part of it).  Badger fans are nothing compared to Bear fans of the late 80's.  Even the era of dominance over them that followed hasn't leveled the playing field in my mind.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »
I'm a Bears fan, though its somewhat tepid as I don't understand why the Bears dominate the market as they do.  Listening to the Score after the game makes me realize just how soft my allegiance to the Bears is - I feel like I am missing something.  Why do the Bears bring out such enthusiasm when - up until last year - they have played such a boring brand of football.

As for the Badgers, I also don't understand the hate.  They are a likable team - except for Gasser and Bo's act on the sideline is tiresome.  But after reading this board for years, I struggled somewhat to root for them yesterday even thought they played Kentucky.  I felt bad for the players yesterday - they played their hearts out and deserved to win.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2014, 10:04:28 AM »
Ditto me too.

When I went to MU (early 80s) Bucky was one of the worst big state school athletic programs in the country.  Our hate was focused on perennial no. 1 DePaul. How times have changed.

Go read Rick Telander's book about Bucky sports.  Things got so bad by 1990 that the athletic department was considering filing for bankruptcy and dropping football.  Then they hired Barry Alverz and he saved the entire school.

So if you're of a certain age, Your formative years were spent watching a non-existent Bucky program so they stir up about as much emotion as UW-Whitewater.

Note, I also do not live in Wisconsin.

Very similar. Graduated from MU in 1985 and at that time Becky was nothing athletically except in hockey. I grew up in Michigan and am a lifelong U of M football fan. So, fast forward to today and Becky is not only a rival of my favorite hoops team, but my favorite football team too. On top of that, their fans are the most arrogant bunch of pricks out there, and I was very happy they lost last night. There is no such thing as a humble Vadger fan.

I will admit I root for them when they play I4.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »
I'm a Bears fan, though its somewhat tepid as I don't understand why the Bears dominate the market as they do.  Listening to the Score after the game makes me realize just how soft my allegiance to the Bears is - I feel like I am missing something.  Why do the Bears bring out such enthusiasm when - up until last year - they have played such a boring brand of football.

As for the Badgers, I also don't understand the hate.  They are a likable team - except for Gasser and Bo's act on the sideline is tiresome.  But after reading this board for years, I struggled somewhat to root for them yesterday even thought they played Kentucky.  I felt bad for the players yesterday - they played their hearts out and deserved to win.

I think you could have started out the post above with ......... Dear Diary...

It seems to me that you've never experienced the passion for a home team.  I would suggest coming to Lambeau Field.  We will show you the fun and excitement that a home team generates.   After that, you'll be so amazed at the spectacle that is the Green Bay Packers.  We will welcome you into the fold and baptize you in beer and cheese.  Join Us !!!  

There isn't too much to hate about the Badgers, unless you're a Marquette fan, aren't happy with slow basketball play, and can't stand 5 loaves of white bread dancing around the court waiting to be buttered by 58,538 passes in one possession.

warriorbill

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2014, 10:14:15 AM »
My hate runs deep, I see red when I see red. I don't even see their team as human, just an enemy that needs to be destroyed at any cost and its because of their fans. They are insufferable and I rejoice every time they feel any kind of pain.

That is a riot. I only feel like that when I read UW trolls on Marquette sites. I've never understood some weirdo having such an empty life as to go on other teams' sites to trash them.

I have to give Bo credit-he did a great job this year. And, for once they looked like a team not playing basketball with peach baskets.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2014, 10:35:35 AM »
I always root for Wisco except when they play Marquette. I bleed MU. So, let's get back WARRIORS!

Me too.  I'm from Wisconsin, graduated from MArquette and grew up more of a Marquette basketball fan because Wisconsin wasn't any good.  And frankly I think people make too much of the rivalry.  It's no Duke/UNC.  Therefore as a Wisconsinite I cheered for Wisconsin last night.  Why would I want a team from another state to get to the championship? I want teams from this state to succeed.  There is definitely a part of me that will always want MU to have the most recent success especially when it comes to a championship.  But it's been 37 years since this state has had a college national championship in D1.  So as a Wisconsinite I was upset last night especially against super greasy Calipari.  Go UConn!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2014, 10:41:08 AM »
I didn't root for either team, but I enjoy the type of ball Wisconsin played this year.  Team that can shoot, space properly, pass and defend.  I just enjoy teams that can shoot the basketball which opens things up for everyone else.  Thought Wisconsin's guards were also pretty good this year, even if they didn't have a natural point guard.

I'll never like the university for their smug fans, especially those that didn't attend...the state is so damn provincial it is incredible. 

ButchBadger's comment about how the NCAA lost is still laughable to me.  He's upset that UCONN and Kentucky are in the final, calling them both cheaters....the fact that Wisconsin still remains in the top 10 all-time on NCAA infractions list apparently is too hard for him to comprehend or such a stupid statement wouldn't have been made.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2014, 11:32:40 AM »
I didn't root for either team, but I enjoy the type of ball Wisconsin played this year.  Team that can shoot, space properly, pass and defend.  I just enjoy teams that can shoot the basketball which opens things up for everyone else.  Thought Wisconsin's guards were also pretty good this year, even if they didn't have a natural point guard.

I'll never like the university for their smug fans, especially those that didn't attend...the state is so damn provincial it is incredible. 

ButchBadger's comment about how the NCAA lost is still laughable to me.  He's upset that UCONN and Kentucky are in the final, calling them both cheaters....the fact that Wisconsin still remains in the top 10 all-time on NCAA infractions list apparently is too hard for him to comprehend or such a stupid statement wouldn't have been made.

The fact that a 7 seed and a 8 seed are facing each other in the National Championship is, to me, the reason why the tournament is so fantastic.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2014, 11:42:15 AM »
I hate everything about them. It starts with their coach and fans. Who they trot out on the court is irrelevant. I root for them to lose every game. That's what a rivalry is all about.

brandx

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2014, 11:52:26 AM »

And if a UW fan comes to this board and reads this crap - what is their thought?

It's gonna be they hate MU not for the school, but because of the fans.

I love all this high and mighty talk. Fans are the same everywhere. Same at MU as at UW. The argument is pretty weak if that's all you got.

I hope UW goes 30-2 EVERY year. The two losses? To MU during the regular season and to MU in the NCAA championship game.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2014, 11:57:31 AM »
Most (not all) UW fans will take a NC in football, if they also had to lose every basketball game in the following 5 seasons.  I've asked many people here in Madison that questions and most will take the NC in football.  Most (not all) of their fans just don't care as much about basketball as an average MU fan.  That's why I never think they are deserving to win, even if the team deserves to win, if that makes any sense.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2014, 12:00:31 PM »
And if a UW fan comes to this board and reads this crap - what is their thought?

It's gonna be they hate MU not for the school, but because of the fans.

I love all this high and mighty talk. Fans are the same everywhere. Same at MU as at UW. The argument is pretty weak if that's all you got.

I hope UW goes 30-2 EVERY year. The two losses? To MU during the regular season and to MU in the NCAA championship game.

No, not all fans are the same. Wisconsin fans, especially Wisconsin football fans, are consistently labeled among the worst in the country when it comes to how they treat fans of other teams.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2014, 12:09:56 PM »
Funny you say all that Rush.  Nothing personal but the team I do dislike are your Cubs.  I was a fan in my early years here in town during the Sandburg, Sarge, Denier run in '84.  But now I pretty much loathe them.  The reason.  They have EVERY advantage in the world and absolutely ZERO results to show for it.  On top of that, Wrigley is an absolute dump.  Why you folks continue to fill the stadium and fail to demand more from the team in return for your hard earned dollars is beyond me.  I'll take that 'try hard smallest market in baseball team' in Milwaukee every time and twice on Sunday.  And I have considerable respect for the Sox who work hard to provide a quality fan experience every year both on the field and at the ballpark.

Buffone and O'Bradovich are a saving grace for me after a Bears loss.  I can always turn them on and laugh off the loss for a couple hours.  I think we can all agree that that is can't miss radio.
My favorite line from a screaming Doug: "Frank Omiyale should be brought up on charges, because  he got Jay Cutler killed out there!"

As far as the Cubs, hey, you don't need to explain to me what is so infuriating about the team.  They should win and they don't.  It's a joke.  You have to be a huge masochist to be a fan of the team because it's terribly run, the general fandom is obnoxious and they repeatedly let you down.  But if I started liking another team just because of that I'd be the fan I hate.  Loyal to a fault? Sign me up.
The two most painful losses sportswise for me:  2003 Game 6 - Wanted to drive into oncoming traffic, and MU/Stanford 2008 - I don't know why that one hit me so hard.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2014, 12:21:40 PM »
I was a little sick to my stomach after Jackson got fouled with 15 secs to play.  Probably one of the most amazing shots I've seen on the ensuing play.  Great game.

Oh yeah, I love watching poser Badger fans who came out of the woodwork in droves writhe in the agony of defeat.  Full out schadenfreude here.  Add an extra innings win over the Red Sox on top of it all, it's been a great 12 hours.

And I absolutely hate watching poser Badger fans who come out of the woodwork in droves to celebrate. Especially since they inevitably feel the need to belittle Marquette as part of that process.  A Wisconsin national title would bring on a hellish storm of crap from them toward MU.  Heck, the final four will bring us enough crap for the next decade or so.

I agree that Ryan is deserving of accolades, and Wisconsin's team is a bunch of great players.  But I'll sleep with a smile on my face think of the anguish of their red dressed and red faced fandom.

I made a point of watching the Kentucky oriented telecast of the game, so I wouldn't be annoyed by the announcers.

Now go UConn and keep the national title out of BCS hands!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:24:40 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2014, 12:25:34 PM »

The two most painful losses sportswise for me:  2003 Game 6 - Wanted to drive into oncoming traffic, and MU/Stanford 2008 - I don't know why that one hit me so hard.

That game irked me as well.  Stanford was probably the only team in the nation with two 7 footers going to the NBA, and MU was grossly undersized.  It was a battle from the get go, and it was quite easy to develop a disdain for Stanford when you saw how intense the Lopez brothers were.  They just got right under your skin with their punk-like attitudes.  Despite their huge height advantage, MU played them aggressively, and Buzz had a great gameplan.  It's too bad we didn't have another big man on our team that year, otherwise we would have done some damage in the NCAA tourney.  

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »
I softened as years went by. Wisconsin had two coaches---Bill Cofield and Stu Jackson. Both worse than idiots.
I hated everything about Wisconsin. Even the grass around the University. I was 1 of 2 MU backers against
about 25 at work. Another reason. But when Dick Bennett came I softened until Wisco played MU. Go MU.
Cofield had the great remark that Larry Petty out of NY was the next Lou Alcindor (Abdul Jabbar). Petty stunk.
I believe Cofield had the Gregory boys who robbed the dorms. Hatred all the way.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2014, 12:30:59 PM »
was there when MU beat Wisco and Al danced on the scorers table. The Hughes twins dad was an idiot that
night.