[April 30, 2024, 09:50:49 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Noskowiak opens up his recruitment  (Read 42641 times)

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Re: Noskowiak opens up his recruitment
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2014, 12:18:18 PM »

You're right, way too early to judge.

Groce seems like he's better on the recruiting trail.  He's trending upward with his top 100 recruit he stole from Cuonzo Martin.  I don't recall Weber ever recruiting a top 100 guy, recently.  Nonetheless, he is a custard phenom and for that, I will always love him.  Wisconsin's Own. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2014, 12:18:37 PM »
Not to be a broken record .... all of this could have been down under Weber.  Firing Weber and hiring Groce changed nothing.

It changed a ton.
That program was in a malaise. The players didn't want to play for Weber. Kids were quitting the program. The fans and students had turned on him. Donors were withholding money.
Bruce had to go.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2014, 12:20:40 PM »
It changed a ton.
That program was in a malaise. The players didn't want to play for Weber. Kids were quitting the program. The fans and students had turned on him. Donors were withholding money.
Bruce had to go.

Agreed ... but they replaced him with Weber2.0

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2014, 12:29:32 PM »

Groce is nothing like Weber, and it's way too soon to judge the results.
Last year was the Illini's best season in quite a while, with winning the Maui Invitational, 14-0 start, win over #1 Indiana, etc.
This year they took an expected step back after losing their top two players from the previous season and three starters in all. Barring transfers, they'll lose only one player off this year's roster and should be improved next year.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2014, 01:14:13 PM »
Groce is nothing like Weber, and it's way too soon to judge the results.
Last year was the Illini's best season in quite a while, with winning the Maui Invitational, 14-0 start, win over #1 Indiana, etc.
This year they took an expected step back after losing their top two players from the previous season and three starters in all. Barring transfers, they'll lose only one player off this year's roster and should be improved next year.

Yup, losing Paul, Richardson and Griffey was a tough blow.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2014, 08:28:31 AM »
Here is an article with more quotes from Noskowiak.  Some positives in there including that he likes Wojo and the fact he played his position in college and that their initial call went well. He just wants to know Wojo wants him and wants Wojo to see him play.  

http://host.madison.com/sports/prep-boys-basketball-marquette-commit-nick-noskowiak-re-opens-recruitment/article_035f9f26-ba7e-11e3-b3b6-001a4bcf887a.html

Sounds like all is not lost with Nick ....

SUN PRAIRIE — A phone conversation with new Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski only reaffirmed what Sun Prairie point guard Nick Noskowiak had heard about him.

Noskowiak, who committed to Marquette last April, loves that Wojciechowski played the same position as him, and that he gives point guards more freedom than most.

It also helps that Wojciechowski spent years learning from legendary coach Mike Krzyzewski, and that he’s helped a number of players on their way to the NBA.

Still, Noskowiak’s college decision may come down to how badly Wojciechowski wants Noskowiak, not the other way around.

Noskowiak opened up his recruitment after last night’s conversation with Wojciechowski, and it took less than 24 hours for him to receive an offer from Xavier.

“(Wojciechowski) has never seen me play, so I’d like him to be interested in me, and I’d be really excited if he would like to recruit me,” Noskowiak said. “I fell in love with Marquette when Buzz Williams was there, last April. So I kind of just felt like I had to start over, start the recruiting process over.”

Noskowiak averaged 20 points per game for the Cardinals last season and earned honorable mention AP All-State honors.

Since Xavier offered Noskowiak, he’s also received an offer from Creighton. Before he committed to Marquette last year, he also had offers from Iowa State and Northern Iowa, among others.

With another high school basketball season ahead of him, the junior still has ample time to make a final decision.

Noskowiak said the relationship he builds with the coaching staff is the No. 1 thing he values when selecting a college.

If that’s the case, Wojciechowski is off to a good start.

“I really like him,” Noskowiak said. “(I like) everything I’ve heard about him. I like the direction that he’s going to put Marquette in.”

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2014, 08:37:28 AM »
I don't think we want a kid who can't even make Fourth Team All-State.  Obviously the recruiting gurus of Wisconsin prep sports reporters know something Buzz didn't.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2014, 08:40:06 AM »
I don't think we want a kid who can't even make Fourth Team All-State.  Obviously the recruiting gurus of Wisconsin prep sports reporters know something Buzz didn't.

The gurus felt Deonte was only worthy of second team honors his senior year... that was a joke.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2014, 09:32:36 AM »

All-state means little, especially for a junior.
Honestly, though I think rankings/stars are overrated, I'd take the opinion of the guys at ESPN, Rivals, 24/7, etc., over the high school beat writers in Tomah, LaCrosse and Peshtigo.

The national recruiting gurus have Noskowiak as a consensus top 60ish player.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2014, 09:38:44 AM »
Wojo's pimp hand gets stronger by the day.  This is like telling one of the hot cheerleaders to go and take a hike, because you have one of several prom queens from the area lined up as your date.  I like where this is leading ....

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2014, 09:58:43 AM »
All-state means little, especially for a junior.
Honestly, though I think rankings/stars are overrated, I'd take the opinion of the guys at ESPN, Rivals, 24/7, etc., over the high school beat writers in Tomah, LaCrosse and Peshtigo.

The national recruiting gurus have Noskowiak as a consensus top 60ish player.

I was being facetious...
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2014, 12:28:34 PM »
I've never seen Noskowiak, so I don't know how good he is. But if he really got offered by Iowa State, that means Hoiberg thinks he can play Big 12 hoops. And that's a pretty good endorsement.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2014, 12:33:15 PM »

Based on what?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
I've never seen Noskowiak, so I don't know how good he is. But if he really got offered by Iowa State, that means Hoiberg thinks he can play Big 12 hoops. And that's a pretty good endorsement.

http://247sports.com/Player/Nick-Noskowiak-23497

He's ranked in the top 50 in the composite rankings.  Rankings don't guarantee future success, but if you're ranked in the top 50 when your junior year is wrapping up then you're a pretty good player.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2014, 10:51:25 PM »
Sounds like all is not lost with Nick ....

SUN PRAIRIE — A phone conversation with new Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski only reaffirmed what Sun Prairie point guard Nick Noskowiak had heard about him.

Noskowiak, who committed to Marquette last April, loves that Wojciechowski played the same position as him, and that he gives point guards more freedom than most.

It also helps that Wojciechowski spent years learning from legendary coach Mike Krzyzewski, and that he’s helped a number of players on their way to the NBA.

Still, Noskowiak’s college decision may come down to how badly Wojciechowski wants Noskowiak, not the other way around.

Noskowiak opened up his recruitment after last night’s conversation with Wojciechowski, and it took less than 24 hours for him to receive an offer from Xavier.

“(Wojciechowski) has never seen me play, so I’d like him to be interested in me, and I’d be really excited if he would like to recruit me,” Noskowiak said. “I fell in love with Marquette when Buzz Williams was there, last April. So I kind of just felt like I had to start over, start the recruiting process over.”

Noskowiak averaged 20 points per game for the Cardinals last season and earned honorable mention AP All-State honors.

Since Xavier offered Noskowiak, he’s also received an offer from Creighton. Before he committed to Marquette last year, he also had offers from Iowa State and Northern Iowa, among others.

With another high school basketball season ahead of him, the junior still has ample time to make a final decision.

Noskowiak said the relationship he builds with the coaching staff is the No. 1 thing he values when selecting a college.

If that’s the case, Wojciechowski is off to a good start.

“I really like him,” Noskowiak said. “(I like) everything I’ve heard about him. I like the direction that he’s going to put Marquette in.”
This is a good approach for both parties. I have never been sold on Noskowiak with the guards we have ahead of him currently and in 2014 I think it was a wasted scholarship.  We get another chance to evaluate him and if he chooses us, he knows he is coming to someplace that truly wants him .

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2014, 10:54:18 PM »
This is a good approach for both parties. I have never been sold on Noskowiak with the guards we have ahead of him currently and in 2014 I think it was a wasted scholarship.  We get another chance to evaluate him and if he chooses us, he knows he is coming to someplace that truly wants him .

The kid is ranked higher than any of our guards in those 2 classes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2014, 10:55:53 PM »
Nick can flat out play. Any school would be lucky to have him. Hopefully it's Marquette.
We Are Marquette

brandx

« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2014, 01:12:25 AM »
Nick can flat out play. Any school would be lucky to have him. Hopefully it's Marquette.

+1. Hope he decides to still attend MU.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2014, 02:08:56 AM »
given that MU currently has 2 PG and 3 SG that will be here for the next 3-4 years, It makes sense for him to open up his recruitment.  Marquette has become overstocked at some positions.  Unless he's planning on redshirting for a year, he likely won't get much PT till his jr year. 

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2014, 02:10:25 AM »
given that MU currently has 2 PG and 3 SG that will be here for the next 3-4 years, It makes sense for him to open up his recruitment.  Marquette has become overstocked at some positions.  Unless he's planning on redshirting for a year, he likely won't get much PT till his jr year. 

Are you counting D.Wilson as a PG?  He's really an undersized center. 

savwa

• Walk-On
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2014, 09:01:48 AM »
Weber did start bringing highly ranked recruits his last 3yrs or so but lost control of the reins with some of them and they gave a black eye to the school. Here's an example - http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=2772512&src=desktop

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2014, 10:26:30 AM »
I think Noskowiak still finds his way here. And I'm glad. He looks like a helluva player
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »
I think Noskowiak still finds his way here. And I'm glad. He looks like a helluva player

Overrated

He shoots extremely well, but he lacks the quickness to create his own shot in the college game.  Defensively, I've yet to see much.  He's not very athletic.  I'm thinking he's a Ben Brust/Josh Gasser type for whatever that is worth.  He'd be an asset on a team as a nice rotational guy/ guy for 3 point situations.  what's interesting is that I've never seen Buzz recruit anyone like him before.  All of the 2 guards we have had, were more athletic and longer.  He has talent, don't get me wrong, but I don't think a Brust/Gasser type is top 60 talent. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2014, 10:49:43 AM »
Overrated

He shoots extremely well, but he lacks the quickness to create his own shot in the college game.  Defensively, I've yet to see much.  He's not very athletic.  I'm thinking he's a Ben Brust/Josh Gasser type for whatever that is worth.  He'd be an asset on a team as a nice rotational guy/ guy for 3 point situations.  what's interesting is that I've never seen Buzz recruit anyone like him before.  All of the 2 guards we have had, were more athletic and longer.  He has talent, don't get me wrong, but I don't think a Brust/Gasser type is top 60 talent. 

Same was said about Scott Christopherson who ended up making All Big 12 his junior and senior years. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2014, 10:52:11 AM »
Overrated

Just maybe the last AD and president wanted Buzz to recruit a different type of player,  like a white, high school kid.  Nothing against the Flory kid, but seriously offering a 9th grader a scholarship, crazy.  

feedback