[April 30, 2024, 09:50:49 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Noskowiak opens up his recruitment  (Read 42642 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Re: Noskowiak opens up his recruitment
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2014, 10:56:33 AM »
Just maybe the last AD and president wanted Buzz to recruit a different type of player,  like a white, high school kid.  Nothing against the Flory kid, but seriously offering a 9th grader a scholarship, crazy.  
When Noskowiak was first announced my first thought was as you have portrayed a semi politically correct decision. I think on a certain level Noskowiaks family understands that and that is why they want to make sure their is mutual desire . I agree with the analysis of his skills by Mike Deane

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »
When Noskowiak was first announced my first thought was as you have portrayed a semi politically correct decision. I think on a certain level Noskowiaks family understands that and that is why they want to make sure their is mutual desire . I agree with the analysis of his skills by Mike Deane

He's a top 100 player for crying out loud.

How did your Kentucky over Wisconsin by 20+ points go.....seems you don't understand how good some kids and teams are.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2014, 11:00:23 AM »
I'd be ok with finding a player to fill the Ben Brust role...

Everything that has come out on Nick within the state has been glowing. Marquette will be thrilled if he ends up coming.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2014, 11:01:07 AM »
Same was said about Scott Christopherson who ended up making honorable mention All Big 12 his junior year and third-team his senior year, by which time he'd have used up his eligibility at Marquette. 

FTFY.
Nothing against SC, but he wasn't a fit for what Brent was doing, and wasn't going to get the kind of minutes at MU he got at ISU. Good college player, but why you continue to harp on this six years after the fact is beyond me. He chose to leave MU because he knew he'd be a role player there.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2014, 11:04:19 AM »
You didn't fix anything, if you make honorable mention, third team, 2nd team, or whatever, you are considered all conference.  That's how it works.

I realize he wasn't a fit for what Brent is doing, which is why Brent asks really dumb questions like "why can't my team shoot".

Brent values different things. I don't blame SC for transferring at all.  I'm hopeful that Wojo believes in a scheme where shooters are valuable and point guards critical.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2014, 11:07:28 AM »
You didn't fix anything, if you make honorable mention, third team, 2nd team, or whatever, you are considered all conference.  That's how it works.

I realize he wasn't a fit for what Brent is doing, which is why Brent asks really dumb questions like "why can't my team shoot".

Brent values different things. I don't blame SC for transferring at all.  I'm hopeful that Wojo believes in a scheme where shooters are valuable and point guards critical.

Well, Wojo is preaching defense first.  Show me a Nick Noskwiak highlight tape that has a plethora of steals against lesser high school competition.   ..... It doesn't exist which is not a good sign for a top 60 player. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »
Bottom line, a good high school kid in the top 100 should be recruited by MU and Wisconsin, as hard as possible.  Both schools need to keep the best players from leaving.  I am not happy with
Tokoto's decision to go to NC and for sure Looney to UCLA.  I do not think kids understand that if you come back to the state, the chances of getting a good job are pretty solid if they stayed
in the state.  Something called alumni.  They all have the NBA dream, but maybe 30 kids a year get a chance, better chance of becoming a doctor.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2014, 11:09:34 AM »
Well, Wojo is preaching defense first.  Show me a Nick Noskwiak highlight tape that has a plethora of steals against lesser high school competition.   ..... It doesn't exist which is not a good sign for a top 60 player. 

Lots of kids in high school don't know how to play defense, it is one of the areas coaches have to teach upon coming to the college ranks.  Our freshmen this year struggled defensively.  This is nothing new IMO.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2014, 11:14:28 AM »

Show me a highlight video of  Jerel McNeal in high school making a plethora of steals.
What, you can't find one? Apparently the guy couldn't play defense.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2014, 11:17:46 AM »
Show me a highlight video of  Jerel McNeal in high school making a plethora of steals.

I'm not saying he can't play defense.  I'm being skeptical because I don't see the quickness or length on him that would make a person a defensive threat.  Show me some video where he's making some great defensive plays.  That's all I want to see, so I can further my evaluation. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2014, 11:19:38 AM »
I'm not saying he can't play defense.  I'm being skeptical because I don't see the quickness or length on him that would make a person a defensive threat.  Show me some video where he's making some great defensive plays.  That's all I want to see, so I can further my evaluation. 

By the very nature of these ridiculous videos that are out there, they focus on offense unless you are a shot blocker.  It's what is sexy.  I don't think you are going to find a lot of stuff out there on kids taking charges, moving their feet properly, etc.  It just doesn't fit with most of these silly videos and mix tapes.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2014, 11:21:57 AM »

Yes, Chico's, there's a big difference between being first team all conference and honorable mention. One means you're among the top 5 players in the league. The other means you're somewhere between 16th and 29th.
By simply stating he made "all-conference" - without noting that it was honorable mention one year and third team the next - you were giving a false impression.
And, frankly, what Christopherson did his senior year at ISU is irrelevant to a discussion about Marquette because he'd have used up his eligibility by then.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2014, 11:36:29 AM »

By the very nature of these ridiculous videos that are out there, they focus on offense unless you are a shot blocker.  It's what is sexy.  I don't think you are going to find a lot of stuff out there on kids taking charges, moving their feet properly, etc.  It just doesn't fit with most of these silly videos and mix tapes.

I'm quite aware that the majority of mixtapes display offense.  Nonetheless, there should be tape of any of the high school games played this year @ Sun Prairie.  That is a good starting place.  AAU should have some tape as well, although, I'm sure that's sold to coaches being the money generator that it is. 

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2014, 11:37:09 AM »
He's a top 100 player for crying out loud.

How did your Kentucky over Wisconsin by 20+ points go.....seems you don't understand how good some kids and teams are.
I was off by 19 :)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »
Yes, Chico's, there's a big difference between being first team all conference and honorable mention. One means you're among the top 5 players in the league. The other means you're somewhere between 16th and 29th.
By simply stating he made "all-conference" - without noting that it was honorable mention one year and third team the next - you were giving a false impression.
And, frankly, what Christopherson did his senior year at ISU is irrelevant to a discussion about Marquette because he'd have used up his eligibility by then.

I didn't say there wasn't a difference.  I said he was all conference Big 12....which was an accurate statement.  You added more information, great.  Nothing I said was incorrect.  Each conference lists the ALL CONFERENCE players, for which SC was ALL CONFERENCE his junior and senior year.  That is the standard protocol by conferences

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205391642

What SC did his senior year at Iowa State could have been done a year earlier at MU, which would have been his senior year.  It's not irrelevant as the extra year was a result of the transfer...he still had a senior year which he was going to have somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 11:43:26 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

brandx

« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2014, 11:46:31 AM »
Overrated

He shoots extremely well, but he lacks the quickness to create his own shot in the college game.  Defensively, I've yet to see much.  He's not very athletic.  I'm thinking he's a Ben Brust/Josh Gasser type for whatever that is worth.  He'd be an asset on a team as a nice rotational guy/ guy for 3 point situations.  what's interesting is that I've never seen Buzz recruit anyone like him before.  All of the 2 guards we have had, were more athletic and longer.  He has talent, don't get me wrong, but I don't think a Brust/Gasser type is top 60 talent. 

How many times have you seen Nick play?

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »

How many times have you seen Nick play?

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2014, 01:53:29 PM »
I've seen Noskowiak play a few times and I think anyone who says he isn't good enough for Marquette is nuts! He has great court vision and a great shot. I agree that his biggest weakness is speed/quickness but i think his basketball skills more than make up for it. I think his defense is average at worst. I've also seen Cohen play and Noskowiak's defense is better. Cohen just wanders around trying to get blocks from what I saw.

brandx

« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2014, 01:56:37 PM »
I've seen Noskowiak play a few times and I think anyone who says he isn't good enough for Marquette is nuts! He has great court vision and a great shot. I agree that his biggest weakness is speed/quickness but i think his basketball skills more than make up for it. I think his defense is average at worst. I've also seen Cohen play and Noskowiak's defense is better. Cohen just wanders around trying to get blocks from what I saw.

I agree with everything you said here. And so do the national experts who have seen both play against the top players in the country.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2014, 02:15:13 PM »

+1. Technically true but misleading and essentially false statements are one of the bondsman's specialities.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2014, 02:20:05 PM »
+1. Technically true but misleading and essentially false statements are one of the bondsman's specialities.

LOL

Technically true and 100% true and you find an issue with the truth, not a surprise.  I said he made all-conference.  He did.  Not misleading, not false, nothing.  100% truth.

So, did you look up what you said about crap shoot a few years ago and 2nd grades.....want to get into truths?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2014, 02:43:58 PM »
LOL

Technically true and 100% true and you find an issue with the truth, not a surprise.  I said he made all-conference.  He did.  Not misleading, not false, nothing.  100% truth.

So, did you look up what you said about crap shoot a few years ago and 2nd grades.....want to get into truths?

In your world, a guy who takes one online class at a university is an alum, guys who have never played in the NBA are NBA players and people with multiple personalities have two - and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Suggesting that Pakuni brought welcome additional information to your intentionally misleading post is total BS, but it's how you roll. That's no mystery to most here.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2014, 03:11:14 PM »
I was off by 19 :)

That a whole half game by Wisconsin standards.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2014, 03:12:17 PM »

Other than Dikembe Mutombo, does anyone have an all defensive highlight reel?

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2014, 03:20:30 PM »
Other than Dikembe Mutombo, does anyone have an all defensive highlight reel?

Derrick Wilson.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery