[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Crean Article  (Read 19892 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Re: Crean Article
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 04:00:46 PM »
Wabash, Vincennes, Marian, Bethel, St. Mary of the Woods

"It's IN Indiana! It's IN Indiana!"

Well done sir.  Love the St. Mary of the Woods reference.  Don't know if the nuns would budget for a tanning booth.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 04:06:43 PM »
I'm still waiting for another Final Four!

Final Four would be nice but I've been excited to get out of the 1st weekend these previous 3 years...

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 04:07:28 PM »
Why am i supposed to hate the coach who took us too a final 4 and recruited Dwyane Wade?     I never understood this.  

Guy left and we ended up getting a coach that is just as good or better.  

IU got back to a sweet 16.

Sounds like a win win for all?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 04:26:20 PM »
Why am i supposed to hate the coach who took us too a final 4 and recruited Dwyane Wade?     I never understood this.  

Im guessing you never understood it, because nobody ever told you you're supposed to hate him.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 04:26:28 PM »

Women's coach at St. Mary's of Notre Dame

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 04:31:57 PM »

Totally agree.  I will always root for former players and coaches of Marquette.  Heck, I even rooted for Tyshawn Taylor at Kansas because he was originally an MU commit (under Crean, ironically).  

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 04:43:37 PM »
I even rooted for Tyshawn Taylor at Kansas

I didn't

Death on call

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 04:45:53 PM »

i hate him because he's a jerk, and left like a jerk.  final four was great, but it's sports, and it's fun to have people/teams to root for and against.  i root against crean because he was an odd ball when he was here, a jerk as he left, and i want marquette to clearly come out the winner on the deal.  it's sports...not like i'm wishing poor health on the man or his family.

i don't believe the man would do a dang thing for MU that wasn't also going to benefit him in one fashion or another.  i simply feel very different about crean than i do someone like majerus. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:49:38 PM by avid1010 »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 04:51:58 PM »

Agreed.

I will always appreciate what he did at MU as a coach.  I was starting to fear that 1977 might have been our last Final Four, and will always remember the magical feeling in the Metrodome (rip) when we beat UK.  And when he left, he gave us an upgrade on a silver platter.

I lost some respect for him when I learned that he let the players hear about it on ESPN, and wasn't crazy about him using the same "I have loved MU/IU hoops since I was a kid" speech.  But lost respect is much different than hatred.  I never hated the guy, and never will.  

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2014, 04:55:33 PM »
Agreed.

I lost some respect for him when I learned that he let the players hear about it on ESPN, and wasn't crazy about him using the same "I have loved MU/IU hoops since I was a kid" speech.  But lost respect is much different than hatred.  I never hated the guy, and never will.  

That's OK. Indiana fans have enough hatred for him to go around.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2014, 06:38:12 PM »
Does T-Cube then take the D-III Gannon College job and doubles as the van driver?

Gannon is Division II; Al applied for the job here back in the early 1960s.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 06:44:39 PM »
Agreed.

I will always appreciate what he did at MU as a coach.  I was starting to fear that 1977 might have been our last Final Four, and will always remember the magical feeling in the Metrodome (rip) when we beat UK.  And when he left, he gave us an upgrade on a silver platter.

He didn't "let" the players hear about it from ESPN. Crean was simply beaten to the punch by media members who needed to break a major story with a powerhouse Indiana program hiring a new coach. Heard from both sides there was always a conversation to be had but by the time he landed back in Milwaukee the news was broken.

Strangely, no one here seems to give a crap when 82 coaches in multiple sports since 2008 haven't been able to talk to their players before ESPN and other outlets have reported their agreement to take the same position at a new school. Women scorned are a vengeful lot.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2014, 06:49:02 PM »
He didn't "let" the players hear about it from ESPN. Crean was simply beaten to the punch by media members who needed to break a major story with a powerhouse Indiana program hiring a new coach. Heard from both sides there was always a conversation to be had but by the time he landed back in Milwaukee the news was broken.

Strangely, no one here seems to give a crap when 82 coaches in multiple sports since 2008 haven't been able to talk to their players before ESPN and other outlets have reported their agreement to take the same position at a new school. Women scorned are a vengeful lot.

Thank you...a rational person.  No one controls the media and no one can tell ESPN or someone else to hold a story.  It sucks it got out, nothing can be done about it.  The idea that anyone "let" his team find out about it before an indicated time is silly.  Hell, even back in the days of Bob Knight being offered the Wisconsin job, word got out ahead of time before he could tell Army.  Thus, he said no to Wisconsin because someone jumped the gun.  It happens, people report it and it will only get worse as the news cycle continues on steroids and technology advances where everyone is breaking stories.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2014, 06:53:44 PM »

Or IUSB.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2014, 07:31:20 PM »
Gannon is Division II; Al applied for the job here back in the early 1960s.

Wasn't Gannon the next step on the coachin' ladder for the piano man after he left MU?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
mike woodson to replace tom crean at indiana??
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2014, 07:32:24 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/250372631.html

has this been talked about?  was it expected?  crean hasn't been on twitter since march 9
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: mike woodson to replace tom crean at indiana??
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2014, 07:33:43 PM »
sorry - didn't see the other post, but this is an article from bob wolfley-milw. journa

mods-you can either delete or move to other crean topic-thanks
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:48:55 PM by rocket surgeon »

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2014, 07:46:37 PM »
Don't know if it's true or not, but seems like Woodson would be a good hire.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2014, 07:47:50 PM »
i hate him because he's a jerk, and left like a jerk.  final four was great, but it's sports, and it's fun to have people/teams to root for and against.  i root against crean because he was an odd ball when he was here, a jerk as he left, and i want marquette to clearly come out the winner on the deal.  it's sports...not like i'm wishing poor health on the man or his family.

i don't believe the man would do a dang thing for MU that wasn't also going to benefit him in one fashion or another.  i simply feel very different about crean than i do someone like majerus. 

couldn't have said it better plus he didn't respect the players the way buzz does.  i believe crean never found that medium between which players to push and how far.  he lost the players

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2014, 08:30:25 PM »
Hell, even back in the days of Bob Knight being offered the Wisconsin job, word got out ahead of time before he could tell Army.  Thus, he said no to Wisconsin because someone jumped the gun. 

By your logic Tanned Tommy should have told IIII no since word got out before he could tell Marquette...

In yet one more way The Bronzed Beast is no Bobby Knight. I laugh every time I see Tanned Tommy trying to track down Knight for a conversation after Knight called an IU game. Crean seemed to believe he and Knight had some sort of bond. Knight could have cared less.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2014, 08:38:51 PM »
Thank you...a rational person.  No one controls the media and no one can tell ESPN or someone else to hold a story.  It sucks it got out, nothing can be done about it.  The idea that anyone "let" his team find out about it before an indicated time is silly.  Hell, even back in the days of Bob Knight being offered the Wisconsin job, word got out ahead of time before he could tell Army.  Thus, he said no to Wisconsin because someone jumped the gun.  It happens, people report it and it will only get worse as the news cycle continues on steroids and technology advances where everyone is breaking stories.

The fact that Knight didn't take the job tells you something about the difference of character in the two men.

And for the record, I appreciate Creans accomplishments at MU but I thought he was a dbag then just as much as I do now. The guy was as genuine as a 3 dollar bill.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2014, 08:59:32 PM »
Yup, all true....just as there were fans that became MU fans for the first time with the Final Four run.  Some people don't like certain teams because of certain individuals, others jump on the wagon for the first time because of certain individuals.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2014, 09:01:58 PM »

Toi bad it was John Harbaugh that squeaked to the radio station.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: mike woodson to replace tom crean at indiana??
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2014, 09:02:32 PM »
The journalism product at the JS continues to amaze the last few years. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2014, 09:14:30 PM »
The fact that Knight didn't take the job tells you something about the difference of character in the two men.

And for the record, I appreciate Creans accomplishments at MU but I thought he was a dbag then just as much as I do now. The guy was as genuine as a 3 dollar bill.

Yup, it does tell you that.  No one is arguing that.   Again, I remind you that all kinds of things happen to people.  Some times people leave a program one year in and get sued for it....like Buzz Williams.  Bob Knight said don't leak me going to Wisconsin, they did and he didn't come.  Etc, etc.   We can play this game of examples all day if you wish.  No argument from me.

Crean is a jerk, been saying it for years and I'm the only one on this board that I know of that had to work with him.  That being said, the level of obnoxiousness, sometimes outright lies, etc that also populate here....and certainly the hypocrisy around him always hits levels that are off the charts.