collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by JTJ3
[Today at 06:20:57 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Crean Article  (Read 19891 times)

nyg

• All American
Crean Article
« on: March 14, 2014, 02:10:30 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Crean Article
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »
http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/mike_woodson_a_candidate_to_coach_indiana_hoosiers/16006285?linksrc=story_school_indiana_auto_module_head_16006285

Not one to discuss Crean, but put here for some of you followers.  Smoke, there's fire?

Who's creating the smoke.....there's your answer.  Isaiah isn't available?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »
For as long as he has been a head coach at the NBA level, I can't see him going to the college ranks.

Very few do as NBA coaching vets. Too much work. Very little perks.

Larry Brown did it because he's Larry Brown.
SS Marquette

brandx

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 02:13:51 PM »
Who's creating the smoke.....there's your answer.  Isaiah isn't available?

As much as most of us here hate Indiana, Isaiah would be perfect!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 02:19:32 PM »
As much as most of us here hate Indiana, Isaiah would be perfect!

I don't hate Indiana, x. I just hate their coach.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 02:27:54 PM »
Does T-Cube then take the D-III Gannon College job and doubles as the van driver?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 02:31:56 PM »
Does T-Cube then take the D-III Gannon College job and doubles as the van driver?

And Soccer Field Groundskeeper. Oh the delicious irony...

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 02:34:04 PM »

+1

I actually used to mildly root for IU. My dad went there for grad school (attended during the 1981 championship), and he bought me tons of IU stuff when I was a kid. I enjoyed Bobby Knight and the candy cane striped warmups.

All of that changed when the Bloomington Bronzed Beast arrived.

I could actually see myself jumping back on the bandwagon once I4 is fired. They do have good, smart, basketball-savvy fans, which is why many of them are unhappy with the Tanned One and his poor coaching abilities. This is a fanbase that is used to filet mignon, and they are being fed salisbury steak.  
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:40:57 PM by Bleuteaux »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 02:38:05 PM »

IU was my team growing up. Both of my parents graduated from Indiana, and my Grandmother worked there for years. My brother and I spent two weeks in Bloomington every summer. Went to football and basketball games every year - even went to the Rose Bowl when OJ and USC beat the Hoosiers 13-3 on Jan 1, 1968. Still have a Walt Bellamy autographed basketball. I look forward to the day they can be my second favorite team again but that a in' happening until the Bronze Beast has been remove of his duties.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 02:40:43 PM »
Crean isn't leaving.   $14 million buyout says this is all just blather.    Smart negotiating on his part.  

I grew up liking IU.   Big Bobby Knight fan.   Married an Indiana girl who could knowledgably discuss hoops due to her teenage crush on Steve Alford.   And I don't hate Crean.   I appreciate what he did for MU.   I just don't think he is a that good a coach.    And listening to my wife tear him up for his inability to attack a zone, for how he used Zeller and Vonleh..... I laugh quietly and nod.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
IU was my team growing up. Both of my parents graduated from Indiana, and my Grandmother worked there for years. My brother and I spent two weeks in Bloomington every summer. Went to football and basketball games every year - even went to the Rose Bowl when OJ and USC beat the Hoosiers 13-3 on Jan 1, 1968. Still have a Walt Bellamy autographed basketball. I look forward to the day they can be my second favorite team again but that a in' happening until the Bronze Beast has been remove of his duties.

I was a big Jimmy Rayl fan.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 02:42:21 PM »
Indiana and DePaul were my two favorite teams when I was a youngster. Was not a fan of Mike Davis, who was clearly over his head. I was actually thrilled when Sampson had them in the Top 10 in no time flat. Cannot stand them now.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 02:44:06 PM »
Crean isn't leaving.   $14 million buyout says this is all just blather.    Smart negotiating on his part.  

That buyout changes as the years pass. In 2 years, he could get fired, and will if his performance doesn't improve.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 02:57:26 PM »
Agreed.   It means that he isn't leaving THIS offseason. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 03:06:21 PM »
I was a big Jimmy Rayl fan.

Big fan of his too. I was at the game against Michigan State when he scored 56. With a three point line he might have had 70 that night. Unlimited range.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 03:09:10 PM »
Remember the fun conversations from MU fans about how unacceptable it was to go from a Final Four to the NIT the next year.   I find those conversations from back then especially interesting this year while watching MU's season unfold.

As I argued then and will argue now, keeping consistent, each year is different.  Doesn't matter if you went to the Final Four in 2003 and then the NIT the next year...doesn't matter if we went to the Elite 8 last year and NIT (if) the next year.  Players leave, new guys come in, things don't always work out, injuries, leagues change, guys don't develop, coaches don't adjust or are stubborn, whatever.   But there was an awful lot of hubris on this board making some of those comparisons and statements back then which look rather humorous (or sad) considering where MU sits today.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 03:11:27 PM »
Remember the fun conversations from MU fans about how unacceptable it was to go from a Final Four to the NIT the next year.   I find those conversations from back then especially interesting this year while watching MU's season unfold.

As I argued then and will argue now, keeping consistent, each year is different.  Doesn't matter if you went to the Final Four in 2003 and then the NIT the next year...doesn't matter if we went to the Elite 8 last year and NIT (if) the next year.  Players leave, new guys come in, things don't always work out, injuries, leagues change, guys don't develop, coaches don't adjust or are stubborn, whatever.   But there was an awful lot of hubris on this board making some of those comparisons and statements back then which look rather humorous (or sad) considering where MU sits today.

I'm still waiting for the bounce!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 03:13:25 PM »
I'm still waiting for the bounce!

I'm still waiting for another Final Four!

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 03:14:36 PM »
That buyout changes as the years pass. In 2 years, he could get fired, and will if his performance doesn't improve.

Agreed... if they want to move on, it's in IU's best financial interest to wait until 2016.

Buyout amount...
In 2014 - $14 M
In 2015 - $12 M
In 2016 - $7.5 M
In 2017 - $4 M
2018-2020- $1M

http://indiana.247sports.com/Board/144/The-Financial-Side-of-Firing-Tom-Crean-25866924/1

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 03:30:37 PM »
Agreed... if they want to move on, it's in IU's best financial interest to wait until 2016.

Buyout amount...
In 2014 - $14 M
In 2015 - $12 M
In 2016 - $7.5 M
In 2017 - $4 M
2018-2020- $1M

http://indiana.247sports.com/Board/144/The-Financial-Side-of-Firing-Tom-Crean-25866924/1
Of corse, willing boosters could accelerate that....

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 03:41:49 PM »
Unless your name is Bobby Knight, as the Indiana Head Basketball Coach, you are simply waiting to get fired.

With that being said, and I don't think Crean is in danger of losing his job after this year, he would be welcomed with open arms to numerous programs across the country.  He would do wonders at a DePaul, Boston College, Saint Louis, Pittsburgh, Georgetown or any other big city/basketball driven program.  He is energetic, passionate and can work wonders with alumni.  However, unless he wins a national championship at Indiana, he will always be criticized and compared to Knight - as will any coach at IU.  Nobody said it was fair, but it is the truth.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 03:44:49 PM »
Of corse, willing boosters could accelerate that....

If I had a dollar for every time this board has predicted these things....

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »
If I had a dollar for every time this board has predicted these things....
The boosters are antsy, though the $$ are rather large unless there are some really heavy duty hitters in the group....I do agree with you.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »
I'm still waiting for another Final Four!

Yep, 20% of the way into the second five year plan, most Indiana fans are.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 03:58:06 PM »
Crean would do wonders at a

Wabash, Vincennes, Marian, Bethel, St. Mary of the Woods

"It's IN Indiana! It's IN Indiana!"

Death on call

feedback